PDA

View Full Version : Blazers Can No Longer Be Called a Fluke

tlongII
01-23-2008, 02:41 PM
http://www.nysun.com/article/70046?page_no=1

January 23, 2008

A quick memo to those of you who thought those upstart Portland Trail blazers would soon fade out of the Western Conference race: They're not going away.

Portland has rapidly morphed into a playoff-caliber team, with Monday's overtime win in Atlanta brought them up to 20 wins in its past 24 games, and allowed them to keep hold of first place in the northwest Division. believe it or not, this team was just 5–12 on December 2. Since then, they've been unbeaten at home, with the four defeats coming in road games against winning teams — none by more than 10 points.

It's happened against all expectations. The blazers traded away leading scorer Zach Randolph in the off-season and lost first overall draft pick Greg Oden to microfracture knee surgery before training camp opened. With those two out of the picture, the presumption was that Portland would lack post scoring on offense and interior muscle on defense, deficiencies that would relegate them to the nether regions of the Western Conference.

Those two weaknesses are still issues: LaMarcus Aldridge is their lone decent post option, and Joel Przybilla the only quality interior defender. but the blazers have more than made up for it in other areas.

For starters, they can really shoot. Portland is second in the league in 3-point percentage at 39.9%, and nearly everyone can stroke it from outside. In fourth quarters, they often use a lineup of Aldridge and ex-Knicks player Channing Frye up front, along with three perimeter players, which means all five players can connect from 18 feet or further. That arrangement leaves spread-out defenders in poor position to help against penetration, allowing star guard Brandon Roy to engineer many of his late-game heroics unfettered by double teams and shot-blockers.

Of course, a team built on shooters can't thrive unless others are willing to give up the ball, and that's the part that's the most endearing about Portland. Usually in a club this young, there is a tension between the desire of the players to win games and their desire to further their individual accomplishments so they can establish their careers and earn a bigger contract.

With this group, at least so far, they've managed to keep that instinct buried. It helps that none of their players are habitual ball dominators, and that the two best players, Roy and Aldridge, are as comfortable in the catch-and-shoot game as any of their teammates.

What may help more is that they genuinely seem to like each other — you could call this team the anti-Knicks, and it's a glaring departure from the Jail Blazers era of a few years ago. Coach Nate McMillan also deserves a big chunk of credit here, getting his team to buy into a system where a different five can finish the game almost every night, depending on who is going good.

In fact, McMillan may earn the Coach of the Year award for his efforts. league observers have taken note of Portland's collection of young talent for a while, but it's come together much more quickly than imagined. The four top scorers — Roy, Aldridge, Travis Outlaw, and Martell Webster — are 23 or younger, as are many of the key reserves.

Roy, the reigning rookie of the Year, gets most of the accolades, and he could make the All-Star team, but he's got a lot of company in the young talent department. Aldridge is a long, smooth power forward in the mold of Rasheed Wallace, while Outlaw has become one of the league's top sixth men, thanks to a mid-range jump shot that can't be blocked. Starting small forward Webster has turned into a reliable defender and corner shooter after providing zilch in his first two pro seasons out of high school. And keep an eye on 21-year-old point guard Sergio Rodriguez, a whirlwind penetrator who could be a star.

Surrounding that group are the "veterans" — the oldest, Przybilla, is only 28 — and the arrangement works in part because the old guys aren't quite as talented as the children. Przybilla, point guard Steve Blake (27), and reserve forward James Jones (27) have established themselves in the league and aren't as concerned about shots and minutes, which is good because they don't get big chunks of either.

If it sounds like I've named a lot of players so far, it's because I have. The Blazers go 10 deep and might have the best second five in the league. In addition to outlaw, Jones is hitting 53% of his 3-pointers, Rodriguez has one of the top assist-per-minute rates in the league, Frye looks more comfortable than he ever did in new York, and combo guard Jarrett Jack is thriving in a bench role.

Here's the really scary part: The blazers should be much better a year from now. not only will all the children have improved further, but Oden will be back, and his shot-blocking presence should raise the defense another notch. And forgotten amid this sea of young talent is that the Blazers hold the rights to athletic Spanish guard Rudy Fernandez and young Finnish point guard Petteri Koponen.

Even without those players, Portland hit the midpoint of the season in first place, and has a great shot at becoming the league's most surprising division champ since some guy named Kidd came to East Rutherford.

It's a feel-good story, sure, but it's no fluke. The Jail Blazers are gone, having been replaced by a team of likable, talented, team-oriented young players. If they keep their heads on straight and stay healthy, they're going to be a dominant force in the West for the next decade.

[email protected]

ancestron
01-23-2008, 02:54 PM
This team plus Greg Oden is just plain scary to think about.

JamStone
01-23-2008, 03:01 PM
Definitely not a fluke. But also not a top 10 ten team in the league just yet. I've said it before, but they're not a good road team. Up until their current road trip, they had had a very home friendly schedule. They lost their first 9 road games. Their only quality road wins have been against inconsistent Denver and New Jersey teams. They have definitely over-achieved. And, they're better than a lot of teams in the league. They're not a fluke, but they're still not a contender.

BacktoBasics
01-23-2008, 03:01 PM
This team plus Greg Oden is just plain scary to think about.The team is overachieving because of how lightly people take them I don't expect even with Oden on board that this team is going to be better next year over this year. Maybe a few more years but I don't consider them contenders or major players.

FlukeDynasty
01-23-2008, 03:06 PM
They're a fluke.

ancestron
01-23-2008, 04:40 PM
Their just making the shots they're supposed to make.

sprrs
01-23-2008, 06:03 PM
See: 2005 Seattle Supersonics

endrity
01-23-2008, 06:18 PM
The thing with the sonics that year is that they shot the ball really well, and somehow menaged to play decent defense. The connection is that it's the same coach. But whereas that team was full of veterans, which had been in the league and never shown anything similiar to that, this Blazers team is young. That means that this season might be the norm for them. I still think though that they are playing over their heads right now, and even if they got in the playoffs they could be swept. No one knows what will happen a year from now, they have so many young players and some will want bigger roles or will want to leave. Sergio Rodriguez can play and he might want to go somewhere else, same with Jarret Jack. Kopponen is a nice player, but he is not gonna come over if he sees no possibilities. And honestly who knows what Oden will be in the NBA. His offensive game was very raw even at college level, even though he had a broken wrist. And blocking shots from guys who are a foot shorter than you is not the same. I am not saying that he will be a bust, but let's not make him the next Mutombo before he does anything.

ratm1221
01-23-2008, 09:08 PM
http://www.nysun.com/article/70046?page_no=1

Portland has rapidly morphed into a playoff-caliber team

I'll consider them a playoff-caliber team once they do something in the playoffs.

tlongII
01-23-2008, 10:50 PM
I'll consider them a playoff-caliber team once they do something in the playoffs.

I guess I could say the same thing about Dallas. :lol

Armando
01-23-2008, 10:52 PM
It would be nice to see the Blazers in the playoffs. Time for some fresh blood instead of the same teams. Hopefully we see a Hornets/Blazers 7 game series. 2 young teams battling in the 1st round.

itzsoweezee
01-24-2008, 02:50 AM
hate to break it to you, but the blazers aren't making the playoffs.

703 Spurz
01-24-2008, 09:51 AM

:clap

Good one man

endrity
01-24-2008, 10:23 AM
The current Dallas group has done a lot more in the playoffs than the Blazers in the last 15 years, so no, not a good one man.

FlukeDynasty
01-24-2008, 10:35 AM
The current Dallas group has done a lot more in the playoffs than the Blazers in the last 15 years, so no, not a good one man.

The Blazers fluked their way to a championship once upon a time.

The Mavs fluked their way to the Finals where they choked the choke they were supposed to choke.

endrity
01-24-2008, 10:41 AM
no one was referring to their history you dumb fuck, try to read what tlong said. This whole copy-SpursDynasty-way-of-talking is getting overboard

stretch
01-24-2008, 10:44 AM
The Blazers fluked their way to a championship once upon a time.

The Mavs fluked their way to the Finals where they choked the choke they were supposed to choke.
The Mavs absolutely are no flukes. The Heat just tried to shoot some shots that got lucky and went into the basket more times than the Mavericks shots did. Plus BS calls against Dallas. No suprises there, since the league is out to get the Mavs. The Heat were truly a fluke. You are a fluke too.

stretch
01-24-2008, 10:45 AM
no one was referring to their history you dumb fuck, try to read what tlong said. This whole copy-SpursDynasty-way-of-talking is getting overboard
Dude. Its all a joke.

EDIT: It's all a joke, except for SD. He's actually that fucking stupid.

Reggie Miller
01-24-2008, 10:48 AM
Younger teams often start strong, then fizzle out. My best guesses as to why:

1. They are playing hard during the first half of the season when many playoff regulars are not. Later in the season, their opponents play at the same (or higher) intensity.

2. Younger players are not used to playing 82+ games a year against people just as large as they are.

3. For lack of a better word, entropy. Losing teams develop a losing mentality over time. It seems like teams can play above expectations for long stretches at a time, but eventually the institutional malaise and tradition of low expectations drags them down. I'm not being very clear on this, because I'm not sure I understand the phenomenon myself. Let me sum it up this time with two words: Chicago Cubs.

I'm not saying that the Blazers cannot and will not make the playoffs. (In fact, I hope they do.) I'm just saying history is not on their side.

ancestron
01-24-2008, 10:49 AM
Fuck off troll.
We're just saying the spursdynasty kinds of things were supposed to be saying.

tlongII
01-24-2008, 11:46 AM
As long as we don't suffer some major injuries we will make the playoffs. I'm certain of it.

ratm1221
01-24-2008, 11:52 AM

Fail.

Dallas has been in the playoffs 7 out of 7 times in the last 7 years one of which they made a trip all the way to the Finals where they fluked out.

Portland has been in the playoffs 3 times in the last 7 years, all were first round exits (one was against Dallas).

So right now you can't say anything. You get an "A" for effort though, I guess.

:lol back at ya

ratm1221
01-24-2008, 11:53 AM
I just wanted to mention I kind of liked Portland until I got tired of the 50 tlong threads telling me how great they are. Good job tlong for making me hate them.