PDA

View Full Version : Trade Exception Question

pad300
01-23-2008, 04:08 PM
Real GM ( http://www.realgm.com/src_team_exceptions/all/ ) show SA as having a trade exception. Can anyone tell me how big this exception is, and when it expires?

Bruno
01-23-2008, 05:13 PM
AFAIK, Spurs have three trade exceptions :

One coming from the Williams for Ely trade, that expire on February 14th 2008. With this trade exception Spurs can get a player with a $1,092,187 salary or lower.

One coming from "Greek Steve Nash"/"Argentinian Larry Bird" trade, that expire on July 12th 2008. With this trade exception Spurs can get a player with a $532,000 salary or lower.

One coming from the Udrih trade, that expire on October 29th 2008. With this trade exception Spurs can get a player with a $1,847,095 salary or lower.

pad300
01-23-2008, 05:41 PM

One coming from the Williams for Ely trade, that expire on February 14th 2008. With this trade exception Spurs can get a player with a $1,092,187 salary or lower.

One coming from "Greek Steve Nash"/"Argentinian Larry Bird" trade, that expire on July 12th 2008. With this trade exception Spurs can get a player with a $532,000 salary or lower.

One coming from the Udrih trade, that expire on October 29th 2008. With this trade exception Spurs can get a player with a $1,847,095 salary or lower.

Thank you Bruno.

tav1
01-23-2008, 05:50 PM

Bruno, assuming the Spurs want to stay below the tax threshold wouldn't they need to make a prior trade that cleared enough cap to bring in a player at one of the above mentioned salaries? And, off the top of my head, I can't think of a player whom they would covet that could come in under 1.8. Can you?

tp2021
01-23-2008, 05:55 PM
it might be a dumb question, but are you allowed to sign a player with a salary below the total amount of all 3 trade exceptions? or do you have to swap 1-for-1?

tav1
01-23-2008, 06:09 PM
Ok. My above question is still outstanding, but here's sample list of some players that we might be able to get with trade exception money--assuming we cleared cap.

Wilson Chandler
Renaldo Balkman
***Thabo Sefolosha***
Hakim Warrick
Adonal Foyal
Shawne Williams

Bruno
01-23-2008, 06:18 PM
Bruno, assuming the Spurs want to stay below the tax threshold wouldn't they need to make a prior trade that cleared enough cap to bring in a player at one of the above mentioned salaries?

Yes. That's why I don't see Spurs using a trade exception before the deadline. However, the Udrih's trade exception can be used this summer because Spurs likely won't face luxury tax troubles for next year.

And, off the top of my head, I can't think of a player whom they would covet that could come in under 1.8. Can you?

You can imagine Spurs taking a really bad player paid $1.8M and getting some incentives (draft picks, cash, rights to a player..) for doing that like Houston took Butler to get Scola.
You can imagine a scenario like the one that allowed Cavs to get Cedric Simmons with a team giving up on a first round pick. Sefolosha, Belinelli, Carney or Douby could maybe en up being available like Cedric Simmons.

it might be a dumb question, but are you allowed to sign a player with a salary below the total amount of all 3 trade exceptions? or do you have to swap 1-for-1?

You can't combine trade exceptions. Spurs can't get a player paid more than $1.85M by using a trade exception.