PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix close to deal for an outdoor game

spurschick
01-23-2008, 05:11 PM
Suns in the sun: Phoenix close to deal for an outdoor game

Phoenix Suns President Rick Welts runs a basketball team in the desert, but the NHL’s outdoor game in snowy Buffalo so transfixed him that he’s close to a deal for the Suns to play a preseason game alfresco next season at the 16,100-seat Indian Wells Tennis Garden in California.

It would be the first outdoor game in the NBA. Welts said that the Suns have an opponent but would not disclose the team since the deal is not completed.

“It is something completely unique that we have never done before, and Indian Wells is one of the few places that can be considered for the game,” Welts said.

The Suns actually began considering an outdoor game three months ago, but Welts was even more encouraged after he caught a glimpse of the Buffalo Sabres-Pittsburgh Penguins game at Ralph Wilson Stadium on Jan. 1, which was played amid a heavy snowstorm and brought a record attendance of 71,000 fans and the highest rating for an NHL regular-season game in a decade.

“[Playing an NBA game] outdoors is a fun and different kind of thing, and Phoenix is only a 3 1/2 hour drive away so we can do a lot with our sponsors,” Welts said.

The Suns have contacted the NBA about the game and the team hopes to have an agreement in place before the Pacific Life Open tennis tournament at Indian Wells that begins March 10. The Suns want a deal in place before the tournament to help promote the outdoor game.

“We need to get it all finalized within the next few weeks and have it announced by their tournament because a lot of those fans would be our customers,” Welts said.

The Suns, who would have to rent the privately owned facility, will act as the promoter for the October game.

Though the team is still working on specifics, there would be significant additional revenue opportunities. The Suns are likely to sell one-off sponsors as well as bring current partners to the event. Ticket prices haven’t been set, but the game represents an additional gate to the franchise. Television plans are also being considered.

“We’ve been contacted by a few teams that have expressed interest in an outdoor game, and the approach we are taking is that it would be a team event,” said NBA Deputy Commissioner Adam Silver. “Nothing has been finalized.”

The Suns would not need approval from the NBA Players Association to host an outdoor game.

“We were approached by a local group a couple of months ago and we have taken our basketball people out there to take a look at Indian Wells,” Welts said. “We are constantly looking at ways to create value in the preseason, and this would be a fun and different kind of thing.”

The facility has a 16,100-seat capacity for tennis, 44 suites and a 2,500-square-foot club.

“It is an NBA building with no roof,” Welts said.

JMarkJohns
01-23-2008, 05:21 PM
Give me a break. How about getting close to finalizing a deal for a backup PG D'Antoni can trust with 20 minutes a game, or an athletic 7-footer who can play alongside Amare so your old maid franchise can finally put a crooked number in the left-hand column of their current 0-for-39 Titleless mark.

Phoenix Suns under Sarver: All sizzle, no substance.

Makes me sick.

da_suns_fan
01-23-2008, 05:30 PM
Give me a break. How about getting close to finalizing a deal for a backup PG D'Antoni can trust with 20 minutes a game, or an athletic 7-footer who can play alongside Amare so your old maid franchise can finally put a crooked number in the left-hand column of their current 0-for-39 Titleless mark.

Phoenix Suns under Sarver: All sizzle, no substance.

Makes me sick.

Yo JMarks:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/statistics?stat=nbaminutes&league=nba&split=0&sort=mins&avg=pg&qual=true&season=2008&seasontype=2&pos=pg

Show me a team that has a superstar point guard with a quality backup who plays 20 minutes a game.

Your posts just keep getting worse and worse. Stop freaking complaining all the time.

Dex
01-23-2008, 05:44 PM
Your posts just keep getting worse and worse. Stop freaking complaining all the time.

http://www.serialmouse.com/wp-content/themes/green-marinee/images/potKettle.jpg

td4mvp21
01-23-2008, 05:49 PM
http://www.serialmouse.com/wp-content/themes/green-marinee/images/potKettle.jpg

:lol I concur.

Extra Stout
01-23-2008, 06:20 PM
Yet another example of Phoenix Suns stupidity. What made the outdoor NHL game unique was the exposure to the elements: snow, freezing cold. This Suns game will be utterly unremarkable.

lefty
01-23-2008, 06:23 PM
They should play this game in Montreal during the month of January.

Would be really fun to watch.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
01-23-2008, 06:27 PM
Make them play on asphalt.

FromWayDowntown
01-23-2008, 06:45 PM
Outdoor basketball in high winds would be fabulous to watch.

Findog
01-23-2008, 06:47 PM
Don't hate, this is cool. Not as cool as the NHL thing, but they should do it in a regular season game.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
01-23-2008, 06:48 PM
So I think we have a winner: play the game in Montreal on asphalt with enormous fans all around the court. In January.

I'd watch that.

lefty
01-23-2008, 06:58 PM
So I think we have a winner: play the game in Montreal on asphalt with enormous fans all around the court. In January.

I'd watch that.

:lmao

Xylus
01-23-2008, 07:16 PM
Don't hate, this is cool. Not as cool as the NHL thing, but they should do it in a regular season game.
This is a neat idea, but I--like JMark--would like to see that money put to better use.

sribb43
01-23-2008, 08:23 PM
I bet their opponent is against the AND 1 guys

remingtonbo2001
01-23-2008, 10:21 PM
Like the idea for a preseason game. Maybe it would be something to consider for summer league. They could come down here in July where it's about 100...with 110% humidity. It would be the equivillent to playing in a court sized suana.

ratm1221
01-23-2008, 10:23 PM
I hope it's against the T-Wolves.

Armando
01-23-2008, 10:38 PM
Do it with the Spurs.

sribb43
01-23-2008, 10:50 PM
Maybe the suns should use some of the profits from the game and buy a bench

BonnerDynasty
01-23-2008, 11:36 PM
Ratings!!!