PDA

View Full Version : Udrih rookie of the month

Streakyshooter08
01-03-2005, 03:22 PM
Hi,

I didn't see a thread about this. I think it's pretty cool that Beno is doing that fine. Enjoy!

Streaky :)

Okafor, Udrih named "got milk?" December
Rookies of the Month

NEW YORK, Jan. 3 –Emeka Okafor of the Charlotte Bobcats and Beno Udrih of the San Antonio Spurs today were named the Eastern and Western Conference got milk? Rookies of the Month, respectively, for games played in December.

Okafor currently has a double-double streak of 19 games that dates back to November 21 and finished the month as the only NBA player to have a double-double in every game played in December. He ranks first among rookies in scoring (18.1 ppg), rebounding (13.3 rpg) and minutes played (38.9 mpg). The second overall pick in the 2004 NBA Draft by the expansion Charlotte Bobcats, Okafor recorded a career-high 18 rebounds against New York on December 4 and a career-high 27 points against Seattle on December 31.

Udrih, the 28th overall pick in the 2004 NBA Draft by the Spurs, ranks second among rookies in field goal percentage (.534) and three-point field goal percentage (.500). He leads the Western Conference rookies in scoring (6.6 ppg), free throw percentage (.800) and ranks second in assists (3.0 apg). He handed out a career, team and game-high 10 assists at Portland on December 30.

Here is a recap of the month for both Okafor and Harris:

Emeka Okafor, Charlotte Bobcats
Dec. 4 vs. New York: Had 20 points, a career-high 18 rebounds, one block and one steal in a 107-101 win over the Knicks.
Dec. 18 vs. Houston: Recorded 23 points, 17 rebounds, two assists, two blocks and two steals in an 101-100 overtime win over the Rockets.
Dec. 31 vs. Seattle: Tallied a career-high 27 points, 10 rebounds, one assist and one steal in a 103-97 loss to the SuperSonics.

Beno Udrih, San Antonio Spurs
Dec. 15 vs. Orlando: Scored eight points and seven assists is a 94-91 win over the Magic.
Dec. 30 at Portland: Had 12 points and handed out a career, team and game-high 10 assists in a 114-80 win over the Trail Blazers.
Dec. 31 at LA Clippers: Recorded seven points and two assists in 13 minutes in a 98-79 win over the Clippers.

Other nominees for the Eastern and Western Conference got milk? Rookies of the Month were Dallas’ Devin Harris, New Jersey’s Nenad Krstic, Orlando’s Dwight Howard and Philadelphia’s Andre Iguodala.

The got milk? Milk Mustache campaign is sponsoring the NBA Rookie platform to highlight the importance of milk's bone-building calcium and eight other essential nutrients for active people, teens especially, who add about 15 percent of their height during these years. The platform includes the ‘got milk?’ Rookie Challenge, the ‘got milk?’ Rookie of the Month awards, the ‘got milk?’ Rookie of the Year award and the ‘got milk?’ All-Rookie Team.

Spurminator
01-03-2005, 03:24 PM
Here is a recap of the month for both Okafor and Harris:

Typo? Working off a template? Somebody assumed something...

Solid D
01-03-2005, 03:25 PM
Good news for Beno. Quite clearly, the NBA is looking at contributions beyond just scoring.

Manu20
01-03-2005, 03:27 PM
Congratulations to Beno. Hopefully what he did in the month of december is a sign of thing to come.

tekdragon
01-03-2005, 03:43 PM
Zero successful foreign-born point guards in the history of the league, and Pop manages to pull two of them out of the bottom of the first round within a couple of years of each other.

The man is
http://images.usatoday.com/money/_photos/2004/03/08/guiness-inside.jpg
BRILLIANT!

MannyIsGod
01-03-2005, 03:45 PM
No offense to Beno, but this is only because the West is pretty shitty when it comes to rookies.

SLOVENIAN 8
01-03-2005, 03:54 PM
More:
http://www.nba.com/milk_rookie/rom_december_050103.html

http://www.nba.com/milk_rookie/rankings_050103.html

http://www.nba.com/media/milk_rookie/udrih_041130_150.jpg

SLOVENIAN 8
01-03-2005, 04:11 PM
And if you compare Beno and Emeka Okafor:

Emeka play: 36.7 MPG!!!!!!!!
Beno play: 14.0 MPG

EMEKA:

PPG 15.8
RPG 11.6
APG 1.1
SPG .85
BPG 1.33
FG% .466
FT% .622
3P% .000
MPG 36.7
BENO:

PPG 5.9
RPG 1.0
APG 2.1
SPG .63
BPG .06
FG% .469
FT% .789
3P% .478
MPG 14.0

T Park
01-03-2005, 04:22 PM
congrats to Beno.

Keep it up, and you might have a shot at Western Conference Rookie of the Year.

tekdragon
01-03-2005, 04:24 PM
Come on, Manny.

Teams in the West finish with better records, ergo:

Teams in the East pick first in the draft, ergo:

Rookies in the East are stronger than rookies in the West.

Don't make it sound like this somehow tarnishes his accomplishment. Of course the West is shitty when it comes to rookies, that's a natural by-product of the fact that the East sucks. It's a testament to Beno's play that he is successful in the clearly stronger and more competitive conference.

polandprzem
01-03-2005, 04:30 PM
Wow - Okafor's double-doubles. Tim use to be good at it back in times

HIP HOOPERS
01-03-2005, 04:53 PM
I couldn't be more happy for Beno! This is for everybody who were last year at this time talking about how he can never make an impact in the NBA or even make it there!!! Give him 20,25 minutes per game and and you will se a lot of double-doubles!!!

cmurek
01-03-2005, 05:13 PM
Beno did a quite well his job on the court and he deserves this title!

Rick Von Braun
01-03-2005, 05:20 PM
Zero successful foreign-born point guards in the history of the league, and Pop manages to pull two of them out of the bottom of the first round within a couple of years of each other.

The man is
http://images.usatoday.com/money/_photos/2004/03/08/guiness-inside.jpg
BRILLIANT!Two words:

Steve Nash.

whottt
01-03-2005, 05:29 PM
Two other words...

Bob Cousy.

Technically he's not foreign born...

But he's more French than Tony Parker is.

His parents were French immigrants and didn't even speak English, and neither did Cousy until he was in grade school.

So actually you could say the first great point guard was from a foreign country.

I wonder how many of the French fans on the board are aware of that.

ShoogarBear
01-03-2005, 05:31 PM
C'mon, seriously now, nice a job as Beno's done, if he was ROY you would say it's a weak year for rookies.

Same holds true of him being ROM for the West.

That in no way takes away from how good a player he may be in 3-4 years.

ShoogarBear
01-03-2005, 05:32 PM
Two other words...
His parents were French immigrants and didn't even speak English, and neither did Cousy until he was in grade school.

And if you've heard him do Celtics games, you'd know that he still doesn't.

tekdragon
01-03-2005, 05:40 PM
Toche, RVB.

Guess I keep forgetting Canada's a country...

Spurminator
01-03-2005, 05:44 PM
It is interesting in light of how many PGs were selected ahead of him in the West...

airjer15
01-03-2005, 06:36 PM
I saw Beno play at the Rocky Mountain review over the summer, my buddies and I were all impressed, Beno should be an awesome player for a lot of years

MannyIsGod
01-03-2005, 07:33 PM
Come on, Manny.

Teams in the West finish with better records, ergo:

Teams in the East pick first in the draft, ergo:

Rookies in the East are stronger than rookies in the West.

Don't make it sound like this somehow tarnishes his accomplishment. Of course the West is shitty when it comes to rookies, that's a natural by-product of the fact that the East sucks. It's a testament to Beno's play that he is successful in the clearly stronger and more competitive conference.

And the point still remains, that the west isn't exactly overflowing with excellent rookies. That is the only reason a backup rookie won rookie of the month.

Mr. Body
01-03-2005, 07:50 PM
It hasn't been fully expressed: Ben Udrih won the award over a heavily touted, early round drafted point guard from one of our prominent rivals: Devin Harris of the Dallas Mavericks.

wildbill2u
01-03-2005, 07:54 PM
what kind of fans waste their energy on finding ways to knock our players achievements? Is this supposed to be the sign of superior basketball knowlege?

Do you do this with your children?

Solid D
01-03-2005, 08:39 PM
Personal note from Mike D'Antoni:
Way to go "Fatty"! :hat

SPARKY
01-03-2005, 08:42 PM
You're the One for Me Fatty
Morrissey

You're the one for me, fatty
You're the one I really, really love
And I will stay
Promise you'll say
If I'm in your way
And I will stay
Promise you'll say
If I'm ever in your way
A-hey

All over Battersea
Some hope; and some despair
All over Battersea
Oh ...

And I will stay
Promise you'll say
If I'm in your way
And I will stay
Promise you'll say
If I'm ever in your way
A-hey

All over Battersea
All over Battersea
Oh, oh ...

And I will stay
Promise you'll say
If I'm ever in your way
A-hey

You're the one for me, a-hey-hey
A-hey
A-hey
A-hey
A-he-he-he-hey

SequSpur
01-03-2005, 09:02 PM
You've got to be kidding me.................

For what?

boutons
01-03-2005, 09:13 PM
some of you people are really catty little bitches. A guy gets an honor, and you little dead-end loser bitches who haven't won any honor since gradeschool, if then, try to devalue it. STFU

We Spurs fans are pleased as punch about Beno, even without the context of last year's backup PG fiascos.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-03-2005, 10:40 PM
You're the One for Me Fatty
Morrissey

And I will stay
Promise you'll say
If I'm in your way
And I will stay
Promise you'll say
If I'm ever in your way
A-hey

All over Battersea
All over Battersea
Oh ...

And I will stay
Promise you'll say
If I'm in your way
And I will stay
Promise you'll say
If I'm ever in your way
A-hey

All over Battersea
All over Battersea
Oh, oh ...

And I will stay
Promise you'll say
If I'm ever in your way
A-hey

You're the one for me, a-hey-hey
A-hey
A-hey
A-hey
A-he-he-he-hey

The Smiths/Morrissey ROCK!!

....and Barry needs to play more minutes

angel_luv
01-03-2005, 11:04 PM
That's my Beno Boy! He deserves it. I'm so proud of him!

MannyIsGod
01-03-2005, 11:07 PM
some of you people are really catty little bitches. A guy gets an honor, and you little dead-end loser bitches who haven't won any honor since gradeschool, if then, try to devalue it. STFU

We Spurs fans are pleased as punch about Beno, even without the context of last year's backup PG fiascos.

And some of you live a little too viacariously through the damn Spurs. It's a freaking NBA award, and you think it's the most offensive thing in the world for it not to mean that much.

ShoogarBear
01-03-2005, 11:26 PM

Lessee, this is from a guy who wrote :

Tim is the King who has no clothes.

and

Tim's FT shooting makes him the laughing stock of the NBA. He will be remembered for his nightmarish FT shooting and all the close, winnable games he lost single-handedly lost with his missed FTs.

The defense rests.

Link (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8519&page=1&pp=20)

boutons
01-03-2005, 11:29 PM
What does Tim's crappy play and FTs have to do with Beno winning an award?

ShoogarBear
01-03-2005, 11:33 PM
Some of us made very reasoned coments saying that Beno is playing well, but there really is no especially noteworthy rookie to speak of in the West. Those are facts. You said we are "dead-end loser bitches" etc., etc.

I submit that a "dead-end loser bitch" would be more likely to make your absurd statements that what has been said about Beno.

MannyIsGod
01-04-2005, 12:16 AM
boutons....
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/negative5.jpg

tekdragon
01-04-2005, 05:13 PM
Tim's FT shooting makes him the laughing stock of the NBA. He will be remembered for his nightmarish FT shooting and all the close, winnable games he lost single-handedly lost with his missed FTs.

Please tell me you're kidding. This was not actually said, was it?

He will be remembered for his nightmarish FT shooting

?

Let me get this straight...Tim Duncan, arguably the best power forward in the history of the game, a two-time MVP, is going to be remembered for his free throw shooting?

?

Yeah.

Ok.

I'm sure in ten years, it'll be the same with Shaq..."Was that the guy who couldn't shoot free throws? I think I remember him. I don't really know anything about him except that he was a horrible free throw shooter. Was he any good? Did he ever win anything? The only thing I've ever heard about him is that he couldn't shoot from the line."

Seriously.

Get a grip.

Worst take ever.

Solid D
01-04-2005, 05:29 PM
boutons gets a little over-critical sometimes...but that's okay. This Forum is self-correcting. :hat