PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs vs. Lakers Jan. 23

timvp
01-24-2008, 01:13 AM
After getting back on the winning track against the Bobcats, the Spurs used a big third quarter to overpower the Lakers. This was a very nice win considering how poorly the Spurs played in the first half and how seemingly the whole team had a hand in pulling out the win in the second half.

Regarding the Lakers, you can tell they are a well coached bunch. They played very well in the first half and it took a huge effort in the second half for the Spurs to escape with the win. Ronny Turiaf was especially impressive with his physical play on both ends of the court for the Lakers.

The first half for the Spurs was a nightmare. Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili combined to shoot 1-for-12 from the field and the pick-and-roll defense was horrid. The Spurs weren’t rotating defensively and that allowed the Lakers to score at will whenever they passed the ball. Offensively, with Parker and Ginobili struggling, the offense was stagnant and Tim Duncan was the only Spur who could consistently get a good look.

The second half was a much different story. Tim Duncan continued to dominate but role players such as Ime Udoka and Brent Barry came alive to give the team a much needed spark. The defense on Kobe Bryant was great in the second half. Overall, the Spurs outscored the Lakers 31-12 in the third quarter and 58-37 in the half as they won 103-91.

-Tim Duncan played a really good game for San Antonio. His energy was high and he was passionate about finding a way to win this game. When everyone else was struggling in the first half, he was carrying the team. In the second half, he picked up his defensive intensity and the Spurs were able to go on a run. For the game, Duncan finished with 28 points, 17 rebounds, four assists, three blocks and only one turnover. This was a vintage Tim Duncan performance.

-Manu Ginobili struggled offensively but made up for most of his struggles by playing very good defense. He finished with a career-high eight steals and did so without playing risky defense. He even defended Bryant for a stretch and held his own for the most part. Offensively, he really struggled as he finished only 3-for-16 from the field. I thought he was forcing way too many shots, particularly from the perimeter. He would have been better served to mix in more passes. On the whole, though, Ginobili played well enough as he totaled 12 points, six rebounds, four assists and those previously mentioned eight steals.

-Tony Parker still isn’t back to his regular self but he was decent enough on Wednesday night. After a 1-for-5 first half, Parker went 6-for-10 in the second half to finish with 16 points. His playmaking wasn't as effective as usual, which led to him only having four assists. However, to his credit he took care of the ball and finished the game without a turnover in 37 minutes of action. Parker still has a lot of room for improvement but at least he wasn’t hurting the Spurs too much tonight.

-Bruce Bowen played only 23 minutes as Pop opted to go with players who could provide more of an offensive punch. Although when Bowen was on the court, his defense on Bryant was superb. Offensively, Bowen missed the only shot he attempted. This might be a good time of year to rest Bowen a bit because he was playing heavy minutes while other swingmen were sidelined. Lowering his minutes to around 30 per game for the next month should keep him fresh for a playoff push.

-Michael Finley was one of the few Spurs who in the first half was able to do anything offensively. He helped the Spurs stay afloat heading into halftime. On the night, Finley finished with 11 points while hitting 4-of-10 shots from the field. Finley also played solid defense and gave good energy overall.

-Brent Barry got the start as Pop decided to go small to match the Lakers. With Lamar Odom at power forward, Pop felt more comfortable with Finley on Odom rather than a bigman such as Fabricio Oberto. Barry didn’t do much in his first couple stints on the floor but his play at the end of the third quarter was magical. In the final couple seconds of the third, Barry hit a three-pointer, stole the inbounds pass and then drilled another three-pointer to cap off the Spurs’ run. Barry finished with 11 points on 4-for-6 shooting from the floor in 28 minutes.

-Outside of Duncan, Ime Udoka was the star of the game for the Spurs. Udoka scored a season-high 18 points on 7-for-10 shooting from the field, including a 3-of-4 showing from beyond the arc. His patience was great in the Spurs offense. Udoka took quality shots all night long and had a number of very good passes. However, it was defensively where Udoka really made his mark. His defense on Bryant and Odom was extremely impressive. In his 24 minutes, Udoka also pulled down five rebounds, handed out two assists, swiped steal and blocked a shot. Hopefully this was a breakout game for Udoka that he can use as a springboard for the second half of the season.

-Jacque Vaughn knocked down a couple important baskets in the first half. He didn’t have a great night but he was his usual solid self. In 11 minutes Vaughn had six points, two assists and no turnovers.

-Fabricio Oberto came off the bench and played only with Duncan on the bench. In his eight minutes of play, Oberto only dented the stat sheet by pulling down one rebound, handing out one assist and turning the ball over once. It wasn’t a great showing for Oberto but he at least kept the floodgates from opening while Duncan rested.

-Robert Horry played six quiet minutes. He missed his only shot and has now missed his last nine shots from the field. Horry has a combined one point in his last six games played. It’s not time to count Horry out yet but it’d be nice if he showed some signs of life here and there during the regular season. Maybe a three-pointer every third game to help Spurs fans remember the glory days. Is that too much to ask?

-Pop coached a pretty good game. I didn’t really agree with starting Brent Barry in a small ball lineup. If Pop wants to start a small lineup, I’d much rather Ime Udoka be involved so that he can defend bigger players and grab a few contested rebounds.

I do like how Pop played Udoka extended minutes in the second half. Udoka was rolling and there was no reason to take him out. Pop also used a bunch of players on Bryant, including Udoka, Bowen, Ginobili and Finley.

Overall, I like this win for the Spurs. I know that it’s only January and that Andrew Bynum was out injured for the Lakers but the Spurs needed this win. The Spurs had lost their last seven games to teams with a winning record and overall just didn’t seem capable of stringing together two solid performances.

It’s starting to feel like the Spurs are preparing for their yearly run. The team is awake and playing with emotion again. With a back-to-back on the schedule against the struggling Miami Heat up next, winning that game is important to keep the team’s confidence high. The Rodeo Road Trip is only two games away so if the Spurs are indeed figuring things out again, it's coming at an opportune time.

meta2007
01-24-2008, 01:16 AM
+1

BTW, I think the biggest reason for the win is Manu's 8 steals + Kobe's 9 turnovers.

Spurminator
01-24-2008, 01:16 AM
Given Udoka's confident offensive showing the last couple of games I expect Pop will be more confident using him as a PF in a small lineup. I imagine there was hesitation with playing Udoka and Bowen at the same time, but I'm not sure that applies anymore.

Tu Pac
01-24-2008, 01:17 AM
word

loveforthegame
01-24-2008, 01:22 AM
Bowen and Udoka will be a nasty tag team on players such as Kobe, Allen, Pierce, James, etc.. I was expecting Pop to insert Bowen back in the 4th but I can see where Udoka might log more minutes with his offensive game miles ahead of Bowen's.

Thanks for the game thoughts.

Whisky Dog
01-24-2008, 01:23 AM
Udoka + Finley made Odom their personal bitch tonight.

Udoka + Bowen forced Kobe into a season high in turnovers and a poor 2nd half.

The 2nd half defense was as impressive as it has been in a long time, but the 1st half pounding the Spurs took in the paint is still reason to worry.

T Park
01-24-2008, 01:23 AM
Keep playin the kid.

Udoka will do nothing but get better IMO.

He is easily someone who can tip the scales back in the Spurs's favor regarding vs Dallas.

milkyway21
01-24-2008, 01:57 AM
I was wondering what if Pop said to the guys during halftime clicked & gave them the energy to come back in the game.

"'You have to participate in your recovery,"' recounted guard Brent Barry. "I think that stuck with us. When things aren't going well, and you're not playing well, you can't sulk."

Nice props on Tim Duncan. And Ime.

Tippecanoe
01-24-2008, 02:06 AM
spurs only won bc bynum was out!! [/laker fan]

milkyway21
01-24-2008, 02:19 AM
important to keep the team’s confidence high. yeah. Just thinking about the Spurs 9 straight road games during Rodeo season is pretty scary :cry. This is the right momentum that they need.

DazedAndConfused
01-24-2008, 02:21 AM

I take back what I said earlier, I was just frustrated and pissed off because we definitely had a chance to steal that game.

The Lakers lack of maturity showed tonight and they crumbled when the Spurs put the heat on. They stopped moving the ball and didn't even score until like 6-7 minutes into the 3rd. That horrid 3rd quarter really put the game out of reach. The Spurs brought it in the 2nd half and deserved the win.

It was a good loss for our young team because it shows them that no lead is ever safe no matter how bad your opponent is playing. You can't drop your intensity against the Spurs and expect to coast to a victory.

HighLowLobForBig-50
01-24-2008, 02:22 AM
yup

Purple & Gold
01-24-2008, 02:29 AM

:blah :blah :blah

Purple & Gold
01-24-2008, 02:30 AM
Good game Spursfans. The end of the first half and the whole 3rd qtr killed us. Catch us again when we're healthy.

VaSpursFan
01-24-2008, 02:44 AM
Keep playin the kid.

Udoka will do nothing but get better IMO.

He is easily someone who can tip the scales back in the Spurs's favor regarding vs Dallas.

agree...udoka is bringing it now.

phyzik
01-24-2008, 02:52 AM
UDOKA, FTW!!!

The dude is going to be killer for us come playoff time if he continues to improve like he has.

polandprzem
01-24-2008, 03:02 AM
Now t's a problem.

As I saw the boxscores (and was looking at them the whole 2nd half as I had no chance to watch the game), the spurs were not good on the boards, they lost, the % were almost the same, so I said hmm where is this win?
The win is on the turnover column - that helped spurs survived. 22-9 adventage spurs.

Where is the problem?
The problem is in so called 7-footer.
No shit - we need a big guy alongside TD to be successfull all in all small ball is not what we need in a long run. I am dissapointed in Elson and Horry but that is not the story I want to tell. Although I do not want Tim to play 40+ minutes because of this.
The swings (guards, whateva) - Bowen is getting less minutes lately and as timvp said he is getting some rest (IMO Oberto as well - Pop taking a chance of a big rotation he have in the backcourt), and that's good. Ime getting more minutes and is being tested on diferent opponents and as you can see he is in the system.
I'm afraid (the problem of being a rich) taht Pop would have to pick between Barry, Finley and Udoka. And that is better motion offense, shooting ability, defense. If Pop can handle it all and mix them (the minutes) on different team he cdan be successfull, but it is hard to do it in the playoffs when it is better to have still 8-man rotation.

I wanted to add something else but I forgott I'm tired and fat. I'm going to sleep just like you. But we have a day here :)

Condemned 2 HelLA
01-24-2008, 03:54 AM
Spurs win, Lakers lose.
All is right in the universe once more.
Can't wait to hear the purple and YELLOW ball-washers on the radio lamenting about this, that and the other tomorrow!
:spin

SenorSpur
01-24-2008, 04:11 AM
It's amazing how good this team is when they exert a little energy, passion and effort.

Props to them for an inspired 2nd half performance.

Big props to Udoka for a breakout game. Keep it up!

....and props to Timvp for another great game summary. :toast

genomefreak13
01-24-2008, 04:41 AM
Udoka is the next bruce bowen for the spurs. The spurs are starting to push towards the playoffs. The emergence of Udoka in the middle of it is a great contribution (not to mention another problem for the other teams). Now the spurs can probably have a player of stephen jackson-like's presence.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's as good offensively as jackson. I do believe however that Udoka's defense is comparable to jax's. I would relish the thought of having a third wingman to rely on off the bench.

Another great find for the spurs (i just hope I can say the same for the splitter decision-we'll see that next season). My happinest would be complete if the FO would get another point guard to help vaughn. Earl watson would be great

SenorSpur
01-24-2008, 05:12 AM
Udoka is the next bruce bowen for the spurs. The spurs are starting to push towards the playoffs. The emergence of Udoka in the middle of it is a great contribution (not to mention another problem for the other teams). Now the spurs can probably have a player of stephen jackson-like's presence.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's as good offensively as jackson. I do believe however that Udoka's defense is comparable to jax's. I would relish the thought of having a third wingman to rely on off the bench.

Another great find for the spurs (i just hope I can say the same for the splitter decision-we'll see that next season). My happinest would be complete if the FO would get another point guard to help vaughn. Earl watson would be great

I really believe that Udoka already IS the second best rebounder on the team. Why? Because I've watched how he works for inside basket position at both ends. He's got a knack for chasing the ball, boxing out his man and doing those fundamental elements that often lead to securing a rebound. With more consistent playing time, I believe everyone will see what a good rebounder he is. We already know he's a superb defender.

Slippy
01-24-2008, 05:46 AM
Gotta love Pop's response to Bucher's Q, if anyone missed it.. " He didn't have a great first half, what made you think he could spur you starting on the 3rd quarter.. Pop deadpanned "he Manu Ginobili".

Spurs after a timeout lifted their intensity in the 3rd .Classic spurs ball. You could say Manu was the catylist but good team effort made the difference.

urunobili
01-24-2008, 07:43 AM
gr8 recap timvp.. i think Ime should start cutting minute's from Bruce so we have him fresh for the playoffs... and thanks for the fun time to those that where in the chat room during the match

The Truth #6
01-24-2008, 09:08 AM
I've noticed in the last few games that Manu has handled more of the playmaking duties, even when he's on the floor with either Tony or Jacque, particularly for the beginning of the second half last night.

When Tony is out I think this is a good way to play it - let Manu initiate the offense while Jacque holds water by giving Tony rest.

Obstructed_View
01-24-2008, 09:17 AM
I sure miss defense. I don't mean individual defense, as there was a lot of that. I mean team defense. Some of you guys have gotten so accustomed to the the lack of it that you don't even miss it anymore. I guess you want to be the Suns so badly that you let the great outside shooting soothe you into thinking everything is okay.

I thank the Lakers for coming out in the second half and completely abandoning what was working long enough to give away all momentum in the game. The reason the Spurs did so well against the pick and roll in the second half is because the Lakers weren't running it. I also thank the refs for not putting Timmy on the bench for most of the first half, because we've all seen him in foul trouble for way less than what he got away with.

Small lineups, reliance on hot shooting, jumping the passing lanes, no interior defense. Can't wait for the playoffs.

ManuTastic
01-24-2008, 09:27 AM
Gotta love Pop's response to Bucher's Q, if anyone missed it.. " He didn't have a great first half, what made you think he could spur you starting on the 3rd quarter.. Pop deadpanned "he Manu Ginobili".

I know, that was great. It's funny how Manu has gone from the loose cannon who gives Pop heart attacks to his 2nd favorite 'warrior' on the team. If Tony gave Manu's effort and heart every game this team would never lose.

Ghost Writer
01-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Bruce Bowen played only 23 minutes as Pop opted to go with players who could provide more of an offensive punch. - timvp

Um, why is Bowen starting if he only gets 23 minutes in a game where I've been told for years by Spurs fans that we need Bowen's perimeter defense?

In other words, if Pop doesn't feel like Bowen is needed to guard Kobe, how is Bowen of any value anymore?

Question.

team-work
01-24-2008, 09:52 AM
Though it's still early to say the Spurs has turned the corner, this is at least a great step in that direction.

May I say Duncan is still the centerpiece of this team, in that any significant improvement in their game starts from him? Tim was playing at a high level at the beginning of this season, before he got injuried. Then injuries of other players followed. As in previous season, when Duncan begins to play better on both ends of the court, the "SPAM" thing occurs.

Right now I hope everybody stays healthy, & just be relaxed to play the Spurs-style basketball.

Ghost Writer
01-24-2008, 09:55 AM
I guaranteed a Spurs win yesterday, but let's not get too excited.

The played without Bynum.

And let's face it -- the Lakers are overachieving.

They have no one besides Kobe.

I want to see the Spurs beat a proven, quality team with multiple stars like a Dallas or a Phoenix.

Relax.

MoSpur
01-24-2008, 10:02 AM
One of the best second half performances I've seen the Spurs play in a long time. I was out of my seat yelling in the closing minutes of the third quarter. Barry and Manu are fun to watch.

MoSpur
01-24-2008, 10:04 AM
I sort of agree with Ghost. Its not a huge win because they were missing Bynum. Bynum plays better defense on Tim Duncan. However, the Lakers are much improved and the Spurs dug themselves out of a hole. Its a very good win for San Antonio though because of the way they've been playing. Its not a huge win though.

MoSpur
01-24-2008, 10:05 AM
Bruce Bowen played only 23 minutes as Pop opted to go with players who could provide more of an offensive punch. - timvp

Um, why is Bowen starting if he only gets 23 minutes in a game where I've been told for years by Spurs fans that we need Bowen's perimeter defense?

In other words, if Pop doesn't feel like Bowen is needed to guard Kobe, how is Bowen of any value anymore?

Question.

Bowen is of great value. Ime proved he can help the Spurs out on defense and offense, but that does not mean that's the end of Bowen. Bowen is a necessity. There are going to be times that Pop is going to need the both of them in the game at the same time.

Soul_Patch
01-24-2008, 10:25 AM
Im just happy they show'd some signs of life. They actually care about playing basketball it seems, and thats what makes it fun for me.

The lack luster, complacent spurs were really turning me off.

polandprzem
01-24-2008, 10:33 AM

Question.

R U kidding with that QUESTION?

I thought Ghost Writer had a basketball knowledge beyond our world...

SpurOutofTownFan
01-24-2008, 10:35 AM
Aside from Udoka and co I think Parker played a much better game overall. I saw him being quicker and bolder than what he has been in the past few weeks. Maybe his injury is starting to heal finally. He still needs to stop trying to draw a foul on a point blank layup and go for the 2 points when it's needed. Other than that he took care of the ball and really had some plays where they couldn't stop his penetration. Hopefully, this is a good sign and he's back to be the player he really is.

ChumpDumper
01-24-2008, 10:36 AM
GW's Bowen hate overrides any other consideration.

polandprzem
01-24-2008, 10:38 AM
GW's Bowen hate overrides any other consideration.

Umm I see

samikeyp
01-24-2008, 10:39 AM
Good game Spursfans. The end of the first half and the whole 3rd qtr killed us. Catch us again when we're healthy.

Yes because the Spurs haven't beaten the Lakers this season when LA is healthy.

Oh wait....

http://www.nba.com/games/20071113/LALSAS/boxscore.html

:smokin

MoSpur
01-24-2008, 10:40 AM
Aside from Udoka and co I think Parker played a much better game overall. I saw him being quicker and bolder than what he has been in the past few weeks. Maybe his injury is starting to heal finally. He still needs to stop trying to draw a foul on a point blank layup and go for the 2 points when it's needed. Other than that he took care of the ball and really had some plays where they couldn't stop his penetration. Hopefully, this is a good sign and he's back to be the player he really is.

Seeing Parker's teardrop fall last night was good to see. If he gets that going and Tim's bankshot keeps falling, the Spurs are back. That and Bowen needs to hit the three from the corner.

SpursFanFirst
01-24-2008, 10:44 AM
I'd sure like to know what Pop said in the locker room at the half! :lol

SAGambler
01-24-2008, 10:51 AM
Bowen is of great value. Ime proved he can help the Spurs out on defense and offense, but that does not mean that's the end of Bowen. Bowen is a necessity. There are going to be times that Pop is going to need the both of them in the game at the same time.

Exactly. If we draw the Nuggets in the playoffs, wouldn't it be great to put a hard defender on AI and Melo at the same time? How flustered would they get if neither of then could ever get a open look?

hater
01-24-2008, 10:52 AM
Udoka is not a kid, he's 30

and this game once again proved that Odom sucks

Southwest Texas Fan
01-24-2008, 11:27 AM
Udoka defended him well.

Obstructed_View
01-24-2008, 11:32 AM

Question.
Therein lies the D'Antoni Conundrum.

Pop currently doesn't feel like Michael Finley at power forward is in any way related to the inability of the team to defend the paint. But you are right: If Pop doesn't think he needs you, you have no value.

With a small lineup you have to be able to outscore your opponent, because you damn sure can't get stops. Since two of the small guys on the floor at any given time can't keep their man in front of them, it doesn't really matter if Bowen can, because teams will just go away from him and score in the paint when Duncan rotates to help an overmatched teammate. That negates Bowen and increases the need for another scorer on the floor to make up for it.

DazedAndConfused
01-24-2008, 12:08 PM

Oh wait....

That game was in the beginning of the season when the team was still figuring things out. NOH beat us too early in the season in a similar fashion, and then we blew them out by 30 points on the road a week or two ago. We would have blown out the Spurs if we had Bynum, do you really think Duncan would have went 28/17? In reality you beat last year's Laker team, which was a middling .500 WC team. I guess that is an accomplishment considering your went an entire month without beating a team above .500.

The Spurs still have trouble putting the ball in the hoop. Don't think that is magically going to change because you got hot from 3pt land last night. Too much reliance on 3's this year, it's going to bite you in the ass.

FromWayDowntown
01-24-2008, 12:09 PM

Oh wait....

But don't you know -- that was a different Laker team, mikey. They hadn't figured out yet how good they were (even though they had already punked the Suns in Phoenix by 30 or so) and, um, they were understandably intimidated by the big bad Spurs, and, um, they really only lost that game because Bruce Bowen had a once-in-a-season type of game, and, um . . . .

ChumpDumper
DazedAndExcuses

samikeyp
So if Andrew Bynum plays last night, there is no possible way at all that the Spurs could have won?

samikeyp
01-24-2008, 12:10 PM
But don't you know -- that was a different Laker team, mikey. They hadn't figured out yet how good they were (even though they had already punked the Suns in Phoenix by 30 or so) and, um, they were understandably intimidated by the big bad Spurs, and, um, they really only lost that game because Bruce Bowen had a once-in-a-season type of game, and, um . . . .

:lol

Damn...you're right.

"we're" screwed.

samikeyp
01-24-2008, 12:13 PM
That game was in the beginning of the season when the team was still figuring things out. NOH beat us too early in the season in a similar fashion, and then we blew them out by 30 points on the road a week or two ago. We would have blown out the Spurs if we had Bynum, do you really think Duncan would have went 28/17? In reality you beat last year's Laker team, which was a middling .500 WC team. I guess that is an accomplishment considering your went an entire month without beating a team above .500.

The Spurs still have trouble putting the ball in the hoop. Don't think that is magically going to change because you got hot from 3pt land last night. Too much reliance on 3's this year, it's going to bite you in the ass.

"I" didn't do a thing to contribute to the game last night and neither did you.

My point still stands, Purple and Gold said "play us when we are healthy" which happened twice in this season before last night and both teams won a game. The Spurs have played LA at full strength and have beaten them.

samikeyp
01-24-2008, 12:15 PM
Too much reliance on 3's this year, it's going to bite you in the ass

on that we agree but its been that way for a couple of years now.

FromWayDowntown
01-24-2008, 12:19 PM
So if Andrew Bynum plays last night, there is no possible way at all that the Spurs could have won?

He's so good, in fact, that there's no way that Tim Duncan could have dreamed of putting up 28 and 17. No freakin' way.

I mean, it's not as if Duncan has been putting up 20 and 16 against Dwight Howard or 25 and 13 (or even 24 and 17) against Yao or 34 and 18 against Kaman or 24 and 15 against the Pistons' bigs.

DazedAndConfused
01-24-2008, 12:23 PM

My point still stands, Purple and Gold said "play us when we are healthy" which happened twice in this season before last night and both teams won a game. The Spurs have played LA at full strength and have beaten them.

But how much can you draw from an early early regular season game when Kwame Brown was still starting? The improvement Bynum made from the beginning of the season to now is phenomenal. There is a very good reason why he will probably win MIP this year.

Still we can settle all of this when we play again towards the end of the season. Both squads will hopefully be healthy and we can see where the chips fall this time. This game was just like the last game we played except reversed in regards to injuries.

DazedAndConfused
01-24-2008, 12:23 PM
He's so good, in fact, that there's no way that Tim Duncan could have dreamed of putting up 28 and 17. No freakin' way.

I mean, it's not as if Duncan has been putting up 20 and 16 against Dwight Howard or 25 and 13 (or even 24 and 17) against Yao or 34 and 18 against Kaman or 24 and 15 against the Pistons' bigs.

How many points did Tim score in that 1st game we played? Thanks for playing.

lefty
01-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Great job, timvp.

:tu

Medvedenko
01-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Good game spurs....I only saw the first half and had to leave to actually play men's league....we won by 30, came back and saw my boys go shitty in the 3rd q. I hope both teams meet in the playoffs and that both teams are healthy...that would be awesome. Anyways, good luck the rest of the year, and as long as Phoenix loses, I'm happy....oh and we need to get Ariza, Radman, Mihm and of course Bynum back. :)

I don't like to use injuries as an excuse as that's the reason we have a roster and not just 5 guys. Good win vs a pretty hot Laker team.

lefty
01-24-2008, 12:25 PM

:lmao

sa_butta
01-24-2008, 12:26 PM
on that we agree but its been that way for a couple of years now.Hey live by the three die by the three. It is successful because of Duncan, Parker and Ginobili. They know how to give guys the open looks and eventually they fall.

Come full strength in April minus the excuses. Injuries are part of the game, and the Spurs did exactly what they were suppose to do (beat the Lakers again).

samikeyp
01-24-2008, 12:26 PM
When the game is played is irrelevant, bottom line is wins and losses. P&G was implying that SA couldn't beat the Lakers with LA at full strength, I merely pointed out that it has already happened.

That being said, I do agree that it is only January and there is a lot of basketball to be played.

FromWayDowntown
01-24-2008, 12:28 PM
How many points did Tim score in that 1st game we played? Thanks for playing.

Well, if you want to go that route, perhaps you can explain to me why the Spurs are shooting 24-50 from behind the arc in the two games that Duncan has played against the Lakers this season.

Oh, what's that? They were two stray games? Well, I guess your one game sample should say so much more than my two game sample, right? I should realize that no player in the NBA is capable of defending Tim Duncan as well as Andrew Bynum because Tim had one poor game that his team won going away. I should realize, from that one game, that Tim Duncan is fundamentally incapable of getting it done against good big men anymore.

MoSpur
01-24-2008, 12:40 PM
Bynum makes a difference in last night's game. No doubt. However, the Spurs defense and their ball movement was excellent in the second half. I still think the Spurs win even if Bynum is in the game. I don't know if Tim scores 28 pts because Bynum gives him a hard time because of his strength and lenght. Who knows? All I care is that the Spurs won last night.

FromWayDowntown
01-24-2008, 12:42 PM
Bynum makes a difference in last night's game. No doubt. However, the Spurs defense and their ball movement was excellent in the second half. I still think the Spurs win even if Bynum is in the game. I don't know if Tim scores 28 pts because Bynum gives him a hard time because of his strength and lenght. Who knows? All I care is that the Spurs won last night.

Sure. Bynum is a wonderful young player and he does make a difference for the Lakers.

I just dispute the notion that Tim Duncan is somehow incapable of putting big numbers against good young big men.

DazedAndConfused
01-24-2008, 12:44 PM

Thank you. At least acknowledge the fact that Bynum would have made a difference in that game. Instead of being up 9 at the half we'd probably be up 15-20 due to all the missed layups and opportunities by Kwame and MBenga.

Tim Duncan wouldn't have gone off for so many points and rebounds. It all adds up in the end.

I'm not saying that Tim can't have a good game against Bynum, he'd just be forced into taking lower percentage shots. Instead of those 2 foot gimmes he'd be pushed back a bit and have to rely on his jumpshot.

Purple & Gold
01-24-2008, 12:52 PM

That's before Bynum had blown the fuck up. If you honestly think this is the same Laker team then you'll be in for a nice surprise once the Lakeshow gets healthy.

Spurminator
01-24-2008, 12:58 PM
This is nice. I missed Cocky Laker Fan.

Almost like old times. Now Bynum just needs to make up some bullshit story about how Tim Duncan snubbed him in High School and I'll be set.

samikeyp
01-24-2008, 01:48 PM
That's before Bynum had blown the fuck up.

Agreed but the Lakers were still healthy and the Spurs still won the game.

Therefore what I said was true, the Spurs have beaten the Lakers this season when the Lakers were at full strength. And if you think this will be the same Spurs team you will see in the Spring, you too will be surprised. :)

2Cleva
01-24-2008, 02:06 PM
I want to apologize to the Spurs, their fans, and the cleaning crew at the AT&T Center for the mess Odom, Walton, and Kwame left on the floor when they pissed on themselves in the 3rd quarter.

Just send the bill to Staples.

It wasn't maturity or youth that lost the game for LA. It was those three who can't stand another team taking the fight to them. I'd rather have the young guys (Turiaf, Farmar, even Sasha and of course Bynum and Ariza) who have the moxie than Odom, Walton and Kwame often times. Any time more than one of them are on the floor together, bad things happen.

LA is a good team. But they aren't going to beat the other top 3 teams in a playoff matchup (Boston, Detroit, & San Antonio) because when teams bring that D pressure and they don't get calls - those 3 go MIA with wet shorts.

samikeyp
01-24-2008, 02:12 PM
I want to apologize to the Spurs, their fans, and the cleaning crew at the AT&T Center for the mess Odom, Walton, and Kwame left on the floor when they pissed on themselves in the 3rd quarter.

Just send the bill to Staples.

:lol

Ok, that was just funny.

Still, despite the adversity, the Lakers were in this game. They played their asses off and I think in time, as this team gets more mature they will be a title contender.

DazedAndConfused
01-24-2008, 02:25 PM
I agree, by next season I think the Lakers will be legitimate title contenders. Right now they lack maturity and experience, and it really showed when the Spurs put the clamps on in the 3rd quarter. Great teams don't lose composure like that.

SAGambler
01-24-2008, 02:26 PM
Look, I like Bynum. Knew he was gonna be a good one the first time I saw him play. But we will never know how much difference he would have made in the score last night. You can guess all you want, but unless the man is on the floor, you will never know for certain.

T Park
01-24-2008, 02:41 PM
I think heres another conudrum for you Laker fan.

If Bynum plays, he takes touches away from other guys that got you the big lead in the first half, guys like Sasha, and others who shot you into that lead.

Plus you've got one of the best post defenders of all time in Duncan guarding him and that you have to take into consideration too.

DazedAndConfused
01-24-2008, 02:54 PM
I think heres another conudrum for you Laker fan.

If Bynum plays, he takes touches away from other guys that got you the big lead in the first half, guys like Sasha, and others who shot you into that lead.

Plus you've got one of the best post defenders of all time in Duncan guarding him and that you have to take into consideration too.

Bynum's mere presence alone facilitates the offense. The same way Duncan's does. You saw how the Spur's offense struggled when Duncan was out, it's very hard to put the ball in the hoop against good defensive teams when you can't run an inside-out game.

Having two guys, Kobe and Bynum, that demand double teams means someone is going to be open all the time. The offense wouldn't have gotten stagnated in the 3rd quarter like it did. We are the #3 offense in the league because of Bynum.

2Cleva
01-24-2008, 03:07 PM
That pretty much sums it up. The attention Bynum draws also makes backcuts and screens easier - and Bynum is a great passer for a big man.

polandprzem
01-24-2008, 03:09 PM
I'm after 3 quarters of this game and I must say that Udoka had his day. And maaaaan it was fun to watch that 3rd Q and the spurs having fun of the play.
"He is manu Ginobili" - Pop

and

"Timd Duncan is the most underated defender that game have ever seen" - brother

One quote is fantastic the second is what I do agree with the most. TD does not have a DPOTY but his work on the defensive end is fabulous. I can't tell how many bigs were so dominant in the paint not having other big (quality) beside him. Well there was Dave but he was not such a force when it comes to overall defense. D-Rob lacks bit of 1-1 D.
(Bowen is underrated as well IMO he should have 2 DPOTY awards)

The game was fun to watch but still I'm not happy that the spurs do not have another "7-footer" in rotation... LA had adventage in the paint. And TD can't guard and boxout everybody.
Horry looks lost. Pop will have to decide if he wants him in the playoffs...

bigfundamental21
01-24-2008, 11:49 PM
I've noticed in the last few games that Manu has handled more of the playmaking duties, even when he's on the floor with either Tony or Jacque, particularly for the beginning of the second half last night.

When Tony is out I think this is a good way to play it - let Manu initiate the offense while Jacque holds water by giving Tony rest.
I agree that Manu can handle the point. He is a three point threat and can drive the ball into the lane and kick out. He is better to have at the position than Vaughn when we need offense.

Purple & Gold
01-25-2008, 01:31 AM
Agreed but the Lakers were still healthy and the Spurs still won the game.

Therefore what I said was true, the Spurs have beaten the Lakers this season when the Lakers were at full strength. And if you think this will be the same Spurs team you will see in the Spring, you too will be surprised. :)

:dramaquee Come on professor you should be smarter than that.

Are you still trying to hold on to your weak argument? Face it you played us early in the season before Bynum had blown da fuck up and you faced us again when he was injured. As I've said before with the Lakers fully healthy and running on all cylinders and the Spurs in playoff mode I still give the edge (slightly) to the Spurs. But since your team can't defend their Rings to save their life I wouldn't be surprised if it's an early playoff exit for them this year.

Purple & Gold
01-25-2008, 01:32 AM
Look, I like Bynum. Knew he was gonna be a good one the first time I saw him play. But we will never know how much difference he would have made in the score last night. You can guess all you want, but unless the man is on the floor, you will never know for certain.

I'd bet you on that.

Obstructed_View
01-25-2008, 08:57 AM
All your excuses don't change the L in the box score. Get the fuck over it.

samikeyp
01-25-2008, 10:19 AM
:dramaquee Come on professor you should be smarter than that.

Are you still trying to hold on to your weak argument? Face it you played us early in the season before Bynum had blown da fuck up and you faced us again when he was injured. As I've said before with the Lakers fully healthy and running on all cylinders and the Spurs in playoff mode I still give the edge (slightly) to the Spurs. But since your team can't defend their Rings to save their life I wouldn't be surprised if it's an early playoff exit for them this year.

You can call it weak but its still correct. It is also irrelevant because its in the past, as is the game Wednesday night since its over. All that matters is what happens from this point on. If the Lakers or Spurs don't perform well after the All-Star break and in the playoffs...they will go home early.

Bottom line is that there is still a lot of basketball to be played and the West is far from decided.

We'll see what happens when the smoke clears in June...until then :toast

MoSpur
01-25-2008, 10:25 AM
Sure. Bynum is a wonderful young player and he does make a difference for the Lakers.

I just dispute the notion that Tim Duncan is somehow incapable of putting big numbers against good young big men.

I agree. Its not impossible for Tim to put up big numbers against Bynum. If Tim is in playoff mode, Tim should put up big numbers against Bynum. I just think it will take a little more work for Tim to get those big numbers. Bynum is proving to be a very good defender. Again, the Spurs won.