PDA

View Full Version : Baylor 116 A&M 110; 5 OT

degenerate_gambler
01-24-2008, 09:59 AM
http://www.aggiesports.com/mbasketball/Bears_make_the_money_plays_to_beat_A_amp_amp_M

Bears make the money plays to beat A&M

By ROBERT CESSNA
Eagle Staff Writer

The Reed Rowdies gave the wounded Aggies the emotional lift they needed coming off a pair of double-digit road losses. Unfortunately, the Rowdies couldn't don uniforms to help shoot free throws and grab rebounds.

The Baylor Bears got the best of Texas A&M in both, grabbing a 116-110, five-overtime victory in a game they'll be talking about for years.

ESPN Classic would be showing the replay tonight -- had it been televised.

The play on both sides was inspiring in the first Top 25 meeting between the two programs. In 195 previous matchups, the Aggies and Bears hadn't met while both being ranked nationally.

And they lived up to the billing, producing plenty of highlights. But the bottom line for the home team was it didn't make enough plays to win. Baylor did, and the Bears made the game-winning plays with five players having fouled out.

The defense was exceptional considering the battle lasted longer than an A&M-Tech football game. Both teams shot less than 40 percent from the field, yet combined for only 30 turnovers in 3 1/2 hours of hand-to-hand combat.

A&M took away Baylor's 3-point shooting, which made free throws and rebounding huge.

A&M, the Big 12's worst free-throw shooting team, hit 36 of 59 for 61 percent, which was slightly above its season average.

Baylor, which leads the Big 12, was 39 of 47 for 83 percent -- a good 10 percentage points higher than its average.

The pesky Bears hit 24 of 28 free throws in overtime with guard Curtis Jerrells hitting 14 of 17, including seven straight in the fifth overtime, the first completing a three-point play that gave BU the lead for good.

The pesky Bears hit 24 of 28 free throws in overtime with guard Curtis Jerrells hitting 14 of 17, including seven straight in the fifth overtime, the first completing a three-point play that gave BU the lead for good.

A&M missed a great chance at the line in the third overtime.

The Aggies had an 87-82 lead when BU was forced to foul Dominique Kirk, a 71-percent free-throw shooter. Kirk was cramping, so he was replaced by Nathan Walkup, who was 4 of 5 for the season. Walkup missed both attempts.

Baylor's ability to hit free throws wasn't shocking, but its competitiveness in the paint was. Baylor held a 70-64 edge in rebounds. The hustling Bears had eight players with at least four rebounds.

The Aggies with 7-foot freshman DeAndre Jordan and 6-10 Joseph Jones couldn't dominate the smaller Bears, who used quickness to get the job done.

The Bears scored 14 more points than A&M in transition, which helped offset the 18 more points the Aggies scored in the point.

Baylor had only six steals, but none was bigger than

Jerrells' theft with A&M up 71-67 in the first overtime. He took the ball in backcourt from Donald Sloan, who promptly intentionally fouled.

That gave Baylor the lift it needed to force a fourth overtime, and eventually, the Bears got the job done.

Lost in the shuffle for A&M was a great game by Bryan Davis who did some nice things inside and shot well from the free-throw line (12 of 19) en route to 30 points.

Sloan also had a slew of good plays in 57 minutes, but his struggles at the free-throw line (4 of 11) helped A&M lose its third straight, which was most displeasing to the Reed Rowdies.

Doug Collins
01-24-2008, 10:35 AM
Depressing. Good thing it wasn't televised in favor of yet another Kansas blowout.

MajorMike
01-24-2008, 11:13 AM
Talk about home cooking - 59 free throws, 5 Baylor players foul out including 3 starters and they still couldn't get the job done.

atm has one glaring difference from last year. The last couple years, Law won a couple games himself by clutch shooting and poise under pressure. This year they have no clutch player, they have no one player who can handle the pressure, and dispite loads of talent they don't play well in a pinch without someone like Law. Last year atm would have won this game by simply giving the ball to Law instead of Kirk to get fouled and make free throws and Law to not turn the ball over like Sloan and even if Law turned it over he wouldn't have committed a bonehead move like the intentionally foul after being frustrated with your turn over.

I still think atm is and has been completely overrated all year, but nevertheless this was a road win in the B12 against an NCAA-type team (altho atm is currently in the mid-50s in RPI after being top 25 2 weeks ago). BU may just be for real, yet.

degenerate_gambler
01-24-2008, 11:27 AM
I've said it more than once this year...Law was the team last year and this year without him, they look and are lost against real teams.

They're in trouble..

Doug Collins
01-24-2008, 11:52 AM
Talk about home cooking - 59 free throws, 5 Baylor players foul out including 3 starters and they still couldn't get the job done.

atm has one glaring difference from last year. The last couple years, Law won a couple games himself by clutch shooting and poise under pressure. This year they have no clutch player, they have no one player who can handle the pressure, and dispite loads of talent they don't play well in a pinch without someone like Law. Last year atm would have won this game by simply giving the ball to Law instead of Kirk to get fouled and make free throws and Law to not turn the ball over like Sloan and even if Law turned it over he wouldn't have committed a bonehead move like the intentionally foul after being frustrated with your turn over.

I still think atm is and has been completely overrated all year, but nevertheless this was a road win in the B12 against an NCAA-type team (altho atm is currently in the mid-50s in RPI after being top 25 2 weeks ago). BU may just be for real, yet.

Nobody on the team is ready to assume a leadership position. Jones and Kirk should be the guys keeping the team poised in crunch time, but since Jones usually fouls out about 6-8 minutes before the end of a game he's worthless in that respect. Kirk is not a go to guy and will never be. This team is in big time trouble with the upcoming schedule. If they can pull it together they can salvage the season, but as of now it is not looking good.

Extra Stout
01-24-2008, 11:53 AM
Is Turdgeon a one-year-and-out coach? His teams have a disturbing history of sphincterization like this.

Ballcox
01-24-2008, 12:45 PM
Damn ags! Losing to BAYLOR, at home? Something must be up in aggyland these days. A few glory years and then back to mediocrity?

On the other hand, I'm seriously worried about my Horns going up to Waco this year, they almost beat us there last season-should be interesting....

RonMexico
01-24-2008, 03:56 PM

I love it - we're a few days away from Saturday in Stillwater and CaptMike is acting like his team is worth a shit.

ReggieF
01-24-2008, 04:23 PM
the free throw difference was 12 and when you realize Baylor shoots mostly jumpers while A&M is mostly post driven offense then that makes sense, way to try to skew the facts jackass. I hope A&M goes Oral Roberts all over Okie Lite.

Doug Collins
01-24-2008, 04:37 PM
the free throw difference was 12 and when you realize Baylor shoots mostly jumpers while A&M is mostly post driven offense then that makes sense, way to try to skew the facts jackass. I hope A&M goes Oral Roberts all over Okie Lite.

I'll take it if they just go Marist over OSU.

degenerate_gambler
01-24-2008, 04:45 PM
I love it - we're a few days away from Saturday in Stillwater and CaptMike is acting like his team is worth a shit.

That's about the only place they are worth half a shit.

They're still 0-for Sean Sutton on the road I believe. Maybe he outta start boozing it up like his ol' man.

RonMexico
01-24-2008, 05:16 PM
That's about the only place they are worth half a shit.

They're still 0-for Sean Sutton on the road I believe. Maybe he outta start boozing it up like his ol' man.

Don't get me wrong - the Ags are in disarray right now because they can't shoot FTs (not like it's a surprise since they haven't been able to for 3 yrs now and I've said in every thread during this time that they need to improve because FT shooting wins games in the Big 12 and the tourney); they didn't rebound with any fire last night, they made mental mistakes, and Baylor scrapped all over the place to pick up the victory. They're a better team than they're playing and they just need someone (or a group of people - aka Jones, Carter, Kirk) to step up and take control when the team needs it.

I'm not going to lie, though - it was a hell of an exciting game. But I'm not going to judge OSU for getting laughed out of Maui this year, so CaptMike shouldn't attempt to pass judgment on the Ags, who I would call the "Houston Rockets of the Big 12" (aka underachieving with new coach).

Cant_Be_Faded
01-24-2008, 08:16 PM
It's all meaningless anyways, noone is ever going to stop KU from dominating towards yet another B12 title.

AFBlue
01-24-2008, 08:31 PM
It's all meaningless anyways, noone is ever going to stop KU from dominating towards yet another B12 title.

Not meaningless for Baylor Alums who would like to see their program return to respectability. A ticket to the dance would go a long way to seeing that happen....

And this is a good start. An in-conference road win versus a ranked team.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-24-2008, 08:33 PM
Tru Tru

but in the grand scheme of things you want to win the conference and KU is unstoppable.

RonMexico
01-24-2008, 10:18 PM
Tru Tru

but in the grand scheme of things you want to win the conference and KU is unstoppable.

Regular season championship. They fail consistently when they get to the tournament.

RonMexico
01-26-2008, 04:52 PM

I love that the guy who blamed OSU losses earlier this season on their lack of a PG is dissecting an A&M team that has the same conference record as his beloved Cowboys.

Oh, except until today, when A&M slapped it's collective dick all over your "Historic" 1938 arena.