PDA

View Full Version : Games That Turn Seasons Around

Sausage
01-24-2008, 10:00 AM
There are games that define a season. Going back to last season, the Spurs were in a similar situation as they are this season. They were in a funk, but after the Spurs victory against the Detroit Pistons, the tide turned and it turned the Spurs season around.

Last night's game, the Spurs beat a quality opponent in the Lakers, and I had that same feeling last night that I had a year ago. Could this be the game that turned our season around?

I know it's late January and there is a lot of basketball left to be played, but that was awesome to watch last night. As soon as Brent Barry had that awesome sequence last night, I hadn't cheered like that for at least a month, and hopefully I didn't jinx us, but I think that's a sign of great things to come for this team.

ancestron
01-24-2008, 10:06 AM
What Brent Barry did was awesome.
Will this be the pivotal game that turns the seaosn around? Maybe.
Righ now I think it would be good just to see the team put together a bit of a streak.

Ghost Writer
01-24-2008, 10:26 AM
No.

No Bynum.

Lakers aren't this good.

Beat Dallas and/or Phoenix.

Win 7 of 10.

Then come talk to me.

1Parker1
01-24-2008, 10:31 AM
One thing I really, really, really liked about that Brent Barry play in the end of the 3rd...it was the first time in a long time I saw the ENTIRE team fired up. After Brent made that shot he turned around yelling at the crowd, Ime ran to the bench high fiving everyone, Duncan tapped Barry on the head, etc. You can just tell everyone was energized and stuff. And that above all else is what seemed to have been missing from the Spurs the past month or so. They didn't even look like they were enjoying playing the game, they've been showing zero emotion, and have been playing listless.

It was just nice to see the Spurs finally show that they care for once. That in itself was a step in the right direction. Let's hope they don't ruin it tonight laying an egg in Miami. Miami is desperate for a win and Wade is the kind of player that can will a team to a win by himself...I'm sure he's going to be looking to do that tonight after a 13-14 game slump the Heat are in. If the Spurs revert back to their listless, don't care attitude tonight I will be very very maaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Budkin
01-24-2008, 10:40 AM
If we can stay healthy and play with the kind of energy that we did in the second half, we're going to be just fine. I really want to win in Phoenix next week though!

Budkin
01-24-2008, 10:51 AM
One thing I really, really, really liked about that Brent Barry play in the end of the 3rd...it was the first time in a long time I saw the ENTIRE team fired up. After Brent made that shot he turned around yelling at the crowd, Ime ran to the bench high fiving everyone, Duncan tapped Barry on the head, etc. You can just tell everyone was energized and stuff. And that above all else is what seemed to have been missing from the Spurs the past month or so. They didn't even look like they were enjoying playing the game, they've been showing zero emotion, and have been playing listless.

It was just nice to see the Spurs finally show that they care for once. That in itself was a step in the right direction. Let's hope they don't ruin it tonight laying an egg in Miami. Miami is desperate for a win and Wade is the kind of player that can will a team to a win by himself...I'm sure he's going to be looking to do that tonight after a 13-14 game slump the Heat are in. If the Spurs revert back to their listless, don't care attitude tonight I will be very very maaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Seriously... that was freaking awesome to see... playing with emotion rather than just going through the motions.

hater
01-24-2008, 10:54 AM
I'm just happy spurs are on tv again tonight

Obstructed_View
01-24-2008, 11:35 AM
The Spurs won the Detroit game with hustle and defense. They won last night with collapse by the other team, favorable officiating and hot outside shooting.

MrChug
01-24-2008, 11:37 AM
I actually think if we can impressively beat New Orleans that could be as big a "springboard" as the Lakers.

urunobili
01-24-2008, 11:58 AM
a win over the hornets would definitively calm down many of us

bigfan
01-24-2008, 12:10 PM
Im such a fan its been a couple of weeks now since Ive even been on this site. I live in Dallas and see a few games a month on NBA TV or TNT or whatever and the last few weeks the Spurs just havent looked right, whether it was injuries or just a funk. Got to see the game last night and the second half it was like the Spurs broke out of a spell they were in or something. Yeah they got a few calls but Bones, Ime and Tim looked great and I was really impressed by Manu. He was shotting bad but I think his fire inside or whatever got them going and I knew they would win. Its happening at the right time.

to21
01-24-2008, 12:15 PM
Whoa! Let's wait for some mo quality wins before we label it a "turnaround".

I see your point though.....this would be a nice steppn' off point.

remingtonbo2001
01-24-2008, 12:26 PM
No.

No Bynum.

Lakers aren't this good.

Beat Dallas and/or Phoenix.

Win 7 of 10.

Then come talk to me.

You're missing the point.. You can't deny the Lakers are a quality oppenent.

Are they an elite team? No, but they are good as they proved in the 1st half.

It wasn't about how we played against the Lakers,

It was about how we played together as a team, something I haven't seen since in awhile.

To me, when the Spurs play together as a team, it doesn't matter who they play, they are victorious.

They played like a team last night, against a quality oppenent. This could definitely be viewed as the springboard to SPAM.
Yeah, we're still going to falter a bit, it's only Janurary. But, just seeing them play such beautiful basketball last night gave me goosebumps.

Ghost Writer
01-24-2008, 01:00 PM
I'm not missing anything.

The Lakers or the Hornets will not stand in our way of another title.

It will be Dallas or Phoenix.

Don't be lulled to sleep by the regular season.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-24-2008, 01:03 PM
I think last night's win was impressive, but we still have a very long way to go if we want to hit championship form. Let's see the Spurs put some consistency together before breaking open the champagne because they played with some heart for one game.

Mark in Austin
01-24-2008, 01:06 PM
Best I've ever seen was the Houston game in '99.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-24-2008, 01:17 PM
Best I've ever seen was the Houston game in '99.

The one with Elie hitting the 3 ball with under a second left or so during a huge comeback? Yeah, I think I was 14-15 when I saw that game. It was epic.

nfg3
01-24-2008, 02:42 PM
The possibility exists that this is one of those games but too early too really tell. I was very glad to see this team show that kind of emotion they did last night. They got fired up and played hard and aggressive in the second half. Whatever Pop said or did at half time obviously did the trick. Now I want to see this kind of effort on a game by game basis. If they fall back into that blaise attitude within a couple of games then we'll know it was only short term. Time will tell and the basketball doesn't lie.

TampaDude
01-24-2008, 02:56 PM
The one with Elie hitting the 3 ball with under a second left or so during a huge comeback? Yeah, I think I was 14-15 when I saw that game. It was epic.

You're probably thinking of the Memorial Day Miracle...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_Day_Miracle

remingtonbo2001
01-24-2008, 03:00 PM
I'm not missing anything.

The Lakers or the Hornets will not stand in our way of another title.

It will be Dallas or Phoenix.

Don't be lulled to sleep by the regular season.

OK...I guess I need to spell it out for you.

It's not about LA, NO, Dallas or Phoenix.

It'a about the Spurs playing Spurs Basketball.
In the 2nd half of last night's game they did that.

In order for the Spurs to repeat their going to have to play Spurs Basketball.

Ghost Writer
01-24-2008, 03:05 PM
Phooooooooo.

Okay, pal, then they need to play SPURS BASKETBALL against a team that is better than the Lakers.

e20dylan
01-24-2008, 03:27 PM
bottom line we needed barry back.

Obstructed_View
01-24-2008, 07:33 PM
Hell, I'll settle for a convincing win against Miami at this point.

ClingingMars
01-24-2008, 07:50 PM
I'm just happy spurs are on tv again tonight

amen

-Mars