PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs @ Heat Jan. 24

timvp
01-25-2008, 01:09 AM
Well, the Spurs got the win. Taking on a Miami Heat team with the second worst record in the NBA and owners of a 14-game losing streak, the Spurs escaped Miami with a 90-89 victory. Definitely an ugly game that saw the Spurs struggle yet again, but a good fourth quarter saved the day for the Spurs.

Dwyane Wade, with about one and a half capable teammates, is still a very good basketball player. The kid is fearless and he’s an extremely tough competitor. He’s basically like Manu Ginobili on steroids. Wade played a good game and got some scoring help from Spur Killer Mark Blount and almost willed his team to victory.

Besides getting the W, there wasn’t much to be happy about for the Spurs. Their defense was only good in the last couple minutes of the fourth quarter. Before that the defense was ugly. The offense was equally as ugly for much of the night. The Spurs were playing the second night of a back-to-back after arriving at Miami at 4AM, but really that’s not much of an excuse going against perhaps the worst team in the NBA.

-Tim Duncan was fabulous offensively. He had his whole repertoire working and was taking it strong. He wasn’t hesitating at all and was doing anything he wanted. In the fourth quarter, Duncan was 6-for-6 from the field and was the main reason why the Spurs came away with the win. On the game, Duncan finished with 30 points, 11 rebounds, five assists and a blocked shot while connecting on 14-of-19 attempts from the floor. Defensively, Duncan wasn’t nearly as effective. Although, to Duncan’s credit he improved defensively as the game progressed.

-Manu Ginobili made the biggest basket in the game for the Spurs late in the fourth when he hit a layup to put the Spurs up a point. All in all, Ginobili had a really good game. He had 18 points, 11 rebounds, eight assists and two steals. He was all over the court for the Spurs and quietly ended up with one of his better games of the season. He struggled shooting the ball from deep, hitting just 1-of-7 three-pointers. However, that was basically the only area of the game where Ginobili struggled. His rebounding when the Spurs went to the small lineup was key, as was his playmaking the entire game.

-Tony Parker once again looked hurt, tired, unfocused or a combination of all three. He had some big points late in the game but up until then, he had no points and no assists in the second half. For the contest, Parker finished with 12 points and one assists on 5-for-9 shooting from the field. For whatever reason, he took a back seat this game. He wasn’t running the offense – instead he was just hiding on the offensive end. It was like Jacque Vaughn was playing in the #9 jersey tonight. Not sure what the issue is but hopefully it is cleared up ASAP.

-For the first 45 minutes of the game, Bowen was having a below average game. His shooting was off and his defense was mediocre. But then late in the game, Bowen took over defensively. His defense against Wade down the stretch was superb and he once again showed why he’s regarded as one of the best perimeter defenders of all-time. Bowen harassed Wade into missing six of his final seven shots from the field – and that doesn’t count his strip at the end of the game to seal the win for the Spurs.

-Finley played 24 minutes and was decent enough. He might have forced a couple of unnecessary shots but other than that he was solid. Ten points, six rebounds and two assists is good production from Finley. He’s once again in a bit of a shooting slump but his overall activity on the court makes him valuable enough for San Antonio.

-Fabricio Oberto was back in the starting lineup. However, Oberto didn’t really do anything to prove to Pop that he belonged in the starting lineup. In fact, Oberto didn’t get the start in the second half (Ginobili started in his place). In 20 minutes, Oberto had four points, three rebounds and an assist. And really, those stats are inflated because he got credit for an offensive rebound and a basket when he was the closest Spur to two Heat players colliding and accidentally tipping the ball in the basket. Two points and two rebounds in 20 minutes isn’t exactly going to earn Oberto more playing time.

-Robert Horry played one of his better games of the season. He was active and his athleticism was on display for one of the rare times this year. In 17 minutes, Horry finished with two points, four rebounds, one assist and a block. This was the first really good step in the right direction for Horry in a long time.

-Ime Udoka’s shooting wasn’t as good as it was against the Lakers but he was still productive. He hit 1-of-4 shots on his way to two points, two rebounds and three steals in 14 minutes. Defensively, he was extremely impressive during the first three quarters when everyone else on the Spurs was taking it easy on that end of the court.

-Jacque Vaughn had a bit of an off game. In 12 minutes he had two points and three assists on 1-of-3 shooting from the field. Offensively, Vaughn wasn’t getting the Spurs into their sets as well as he usually does. He was dribbling too much most of the time and letting the Heat dictate the tempo of the game.

-In the worst news of the day, Brent Barry re-injured his calf muscle when going after an offensive rebound. Earlier in the season he missed nine games (approximately three weeks) with this same injury. It’s likely that Barry will miss a significant amount of time. If I had to guess, I’d predict he’s going to miss about four to five weeks this time around. The injury is especially bad for the Spurs because Barry will most likely be sidelined for the whole Rodeo Road Trip.

-Pop got about as much as he could out of this tired and listless squad. He finally got the team to play defense late in the game and that was enough to get the win. Pop went small for much of the second half and it turned out to be the right call.

It’s looking more and more like Pop has settled on Horry as the backup bigman. Pop even gave Horry some important fourth quarter minutes against the Heat. Matt Bonner and Francisco Elson once again got DNP-CD’s as Pop went with a three bigman rotation when not using small ball.

The bottomline against the Heat is the Spurs won. It was ugly – it might have even been a step backwards – but it was a win. At this point, it’s best to just be satisfied with the win and ignore how bad of a loss it would have been.

In their last game before the Rodeo Road Trip, the Spurs take on the New Orleans Hornets on Saturday. The Hornets have the best record in the Western Conference and should be a fine test for the Spurs. If the Spurs can win that game and enter the Rodeo Road Trip with a four game winning streak, they can set themselves up nicely as they pack their bags to return with their engines fully revved and ready to roll.

T Park
01-25-2008, 01:15 AM
Ime Udoka really makes it alot easier to swallow small ball.

Udoka is really gonna get minutes now with Barry out.

Maybe move Udoka into the starting five, and bring Finley off the bench so the loss of Barry isn't so darn significant?

SenorSpur
01-25-2008, 01:28 AM
Love the way Udoka boxes out under the glass. When the ball goes up, he finds the nearest opponent and boxes him out.

Ice009
01-25-2008, 01:33 AM
Why didn't Udoka get any court time in the 4th quarter? I thought his hustle and defense in the 3rd quarter was really good. He got a couple of fouls for being over aggressive, but at least he was playing tough. Did anyone see that freaking ferocious hustle play by Ime to get that loose ball in the middle of the 3rd quarter? He really went after that ball HARD! I loved it.

TDMVPDPOY
01-25-2008, 01:33 AM
Maybe move Udoka into the starting five, and bring Finley off the bench so the loss of Barry isn't so darn significant?

but finley needs shots to get going

we cant afford to have finley coming of the bench takn alot of shots and not scoring them against scrubs when our starters are out

T Park
01-25-2008, 01:34 AM
we cant afford to have finley coming of the bench takn alot of shots and not scoring them against scrubs when our starters are out

Move out of 2006.

Finley has been playing good ball for about two straight months now.

meta2007
01-25-2008, 01:35 AM
+1

objective
01-25-2008, 01:37 AM
Udoka was very impressive covering Haslem in the post.

I'd rather have Udoka, undersized or not, play post defense against bigs than Matt Bonner, that's for sure.

Too often I think people mistake Bonner's effort for accomplishment. Udoka has actually shown that he can do both.

T Park
01-25-2008, 01:50 AM
Why is every player's name bolded?

Tigole Bitties
01-25-2008, 01:51 AM
Spurs really lucked out and stole this game. If the Heat shot better from the FT line, this could've easily been a blowout loss.

Back-to-back entertaining games.

T Park
01-25-2008, 01:51 AM
Spurs really lucked out

You creat your own luck.

raspsa
01-25-2008, 01:52 AM
I like the flexibility Udoka provides being able to defend bigger opponents. He's also a much better rebounder than Bowen. Hope he gets a lot more playing time with Barry re-injured.

Tigole Bitties
01-25-2008, 01:52 AM
You creat your own luck.

Awesome free throw defense?

T Park
01-25-2008, 01:55 AM
Awesome free throw defense?

Awesome defense down the stretch to shut a team down.

If Barry Finley and Bowen guys who can shoot threes well made their threes, it wouldn't have been that close a game...

Amuseddaysleeper
01-25-2008, 01:56 AM
Finley shoots way too damn much sometimes.

I was all for limiting his minutes until barry got injured

T Park
01-25-2008, 01:58 AM
Yeah limit the minutes of a guy who was averaging 16 pts a game in December and was one of the big reasons the Spurs kept semi afloat when Parker and or Duncan were out.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-25-2008, 02:03 AM
Yeah limit the minutes of a guy who was averaging 16 pts a game in December and was one of the big reasons the Spurs kept semi afloat when Parker and or Duncan were out.

unfortunately we are in january, and finley has been in a slump as timvp stated in his game thoughts.

I mean a shooter has to shoot, but finley is like a black hole sometimes.

He's gotta be shooting like 30% over his last 5 games.

Fortunately for him, his defense seems to be on the up

I'm excited for Udoka to get some good minutes with barry out

T Park
01-25-2008, 02:04 AM
Hes been in a slump for the past couple games.

For the month of January he was pretty damn nails.

But, oh well, that would be a positive thought.

Heaven forbid.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-25-2008, 02:05 AM
I am happy the Spurs won tonight.

There is a positive thought.

I'm dreading this rodeo trip though

T Park
01-25-2008, 02:12 AM
Of course you are.

You dread everything.

BTW, Finley is averaging 11.3 on the month.

Thats the 4th or 5th option in the offense.

Not shabby for a washed up guy who needs his minutes limited.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-25-2008, 02:20 AM
I wanna see his shooting % first for the month

barbacoataco
01-25-2008, 02:22 AM
Udoka can guard bigger players than his size would suggest. He is strong enough to keep players from getting a good position to post up.

THE SIXTH MAN
01-25-2008, 02:31 AM
Of course you are.

You dread everything.

:lol true.

T Park
01-25-2008, 03:00 AM
I wanna see his shooting % first for the month

So a guy averages 11.3 points isn't good enough for you?

Unreal.

God Eeyore...

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
01-25-2008, 03:05 AM
You creat your own luck.
That one play where the Miami Heat scored for us in the first half off Bowen's missed three, DID end up helping us at the end, though. :lol

T Park
01-25-2008, 03:08 AM
True.

Although Tim's tipping in of a shot on their end didn't help the Spurs either.

The Truth #6
01-25-2008, 03:09 AM
Finley seems to play well when the team isn't and we are losing. And in the beginning of the season when the team was absolutely rolling, Finley was sucking horribly. I'm not sure what this means.

T Park
01-25-2008, 03:11 AM
Finley seems to play well when the team isn't and we are losing.

Finley didn't play well vs the Lakers?

Finley didn't play well vs the Mavericks when they beat them?

I don't understand this line of thinking.

roycrikside
01-25-2008, 03:17 AM
You creat your own luck.

And, apparently, your own vocabulary. :rolleyes

T Park
01-25-2008, 03:20 AM
Pardon me....

:lol

Did I create another fan and not even know it? :lol

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
01-25-2008, 03:50 AM
That basket the Heat scored on themselves really came back to bite them in the butt at the end of the game.

Manu on that last possession looked like playoff Manu, granted... it was against the heat

polandprzem
01-25-2008, 04:56 AM
Pop doing his thing and I do not know if to be happy about it.
I think Parker needs some rest in next games. I hope he will not be selected to te asg.

Okay - I;'ve got a question to timvp (if he reads me). Do you think it is good that pop is pepering Horry for the playtoffs as a main big man of the bench?
All in all I do not know if Horry can be prepared for the like 15-20 minutes of intensity play if the Obertos role in this team will decrease.
It could happen that Pop is trying to suit the spurs up into a set of small ball lineup. That could destroy spurs against some of the team in the playoffs.

btw. That is bad with barry. If he would be available he wuld take some poit preassure from TP who would get some rest...

Spurs Brazil
01-25-2008, 08:47 AM
Tony Parker once again looked hurt, tired, unfocused or a combination of all three. Not sure what the issue is but hopefully it is cleared up ASAP.

Parker ailing: Spurs point guard Tony Parker played Thursday despite being under the weather.

“He almost didn’t make the trip,” Popovich said.

Parker finished with 12 points and one assist in 35 minutes, 34 seconds.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA012508_SpursNotes.en.564ab8e3.html

urunobili
01-25-2008, 08:48 AM
did manu ever posted a triple double on his career?

Obstructed_View
01-25-2008, 09:09 AM
Pop went small for much of the second half and it turned out to be the right call.
If by that, you mean NOT going small the last six minutes of the game was a good call, then I agree.

SAGambler
01-25-2008, 09:45 AM
Well, at least it goes in the W column. It was ugly, and would have been embarrassing to lose to a decimated team like the Heat.

I can only hope the 4 AM arrival in Miami after an emotional win over the Lake Show Wed night had something to do with the ugly performance put forth by the Spurs.

I suppose we will find out Sat if the Spurs are really back in the groove, or just had a hell of a second half against the Lakers. Other than Duncans O, I wasn't impressed with the way anyone played. And then TD again, had some dumb turnovers.

Jimcs50
01-25-2008, 09:55 AM
So, the difference in the game is the basket that Miami made for the Spurs on the Bowen miss in the 1st quarter when 2 Heat players accidently tipped in the basket? I guess Bowen got credit for the basket, huh?

:lol

MoSpur
01-25-2008, 10:06 AM
Some fans can be pretty picky. Arriving in Miami at 4 in the morning after playing a tough game against L.A is pretty tough. I give tons of credit to the Spurs for pulling out that win. I don't care if it was against the Heat. The Spurs looked awful on the offensive end, but got the job done. Period.

MoSpur
01-25-2008, 10:06 AM
Stinks that Barry reinjured the calf. He was doing a good job. Hope this isn't very serious.

SpurOutofTownFan
01-25-2008, 10:12 AM
Wade could have won the game by himself. He was taking all shots and scoring at will until Bowen locked down on him in the last few minutes of the 4th quarter including the last play by Wade. Tim I think mentioned they thought Wade would try for the layup instead of setting for a jump shot and they weren't wrong. Wade had to start passing the ball when Bowen was all over him and then other role guys had to take shots, missing a lot. I think that was probably one of the keys of the win down the strech.

wildbill2u
01-25-2008, 11:00 AM
Love the way Udoka boxes out under the glass. When the ball goes up, he finds the nearest opponent and boxes him out.
That's basic basketball that you learn in middle school. I wonder if the 'teaching' function between Bowen and Udoka can go both ways?

Slippy
01-25-2008, 11:07 AM
Tired legs would explain why the spurs missed a heap of wide open threes. Made work on D for the heat a little easier.

TampaDude
01-25-2008, 03:55 PM
Hey, a win is a win. Cheap, but we'll take it! :toast

polandprzem
01-25-2008, 06:11 PM
Guess timvp got me on his ignore list ...

DazedAndConfused
01-25-2008, 06:25 PM
This Udoka kid is impressing me, and I thought he was a scrub earlier in the season. He shows a real tenacity on defense like Bowen, and he has a decent stroke. Looks like you guys found your Bowen replacement. BTW, wtf happened to his arm? I thought that was a tat at 1st but it looks like 3rd degree burns or something.

bigfundamental21
01-25-2008, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the thoughts, timvp.

I think our shooters were jacking up way too many three point shots. Our percentage was low and we still kept shooting bricks.

Thank God for Duncan. His play helped us to be in a position to steal the win. We did not play that well as a team until the end.

BonnerDynasty
01-25-2008, 10:30 PM
Pop needs to quit resting Bonner for the finals against the Celtics and let him shoot some shots.

I understand not wasting Bonner's talents on a Bynumless Laker squad and a Shaqless Heat team but you gotta give him some reps every once in a while.

C'mon Pop.

duncan228
01-25-2008, 10:39 PM
Tim Duncan was fabulous...

As he has been lately. He's been a dream to watch.
As long as Duncan wants it everything else will fall in place.

it's me
01-25-2008, 11:59 PM
As he has been lately. He's been a dream to watch.
As long as Duncan wants it everything else will fall in place.

Well, I wouldn’t get so exited about TD last two games, being realistic, small ball definitely has something to do with his numbers. No Bynum and no Shaq helped has a lot to do with his performance.

duncan228
01-26-2008, 12:19 AM
Well, I wouldn’t get so exited about TD last two games, being realistic, small ball definitely has something to do with his numbers. No Bynum and no Shaq helped has a lot to do with his performance.

I'm talking about his last 9+ games, regardless of win/lose.
It's not just about his numbers.
The fire is back in his eyes, his body language speaks volumes about where he is.
He wants the repeat and the playoff Duncan is starting to show. He's fine-tuning in front of our eyes.
This is still his team and it's his will that will lead them.

T Park
01-26-2008, 12:51 AM
Well, I wouldn’t get so exited about TD last two games

yeah that duncan guy is a flash in the pan.

Hemotivo
01-26-2008, 01:14 AM
TD was very agile
like he was ten years ago