PDA

View Full Version : Who deserves Best Picture this year?

Amuseddaysleeper
01-25-2008, 02:00 AM
I'm going with "There Will Be Blood"

While it wasn't perfect, I still think it's gonna be one of the few films of our time that will be taught to film students.

jaffies
01-25-2008, 02:09 AM
Deserves to win: "There Will Be Blood"
Will win: "Atonement"

CuckingFunt
01-25-2008, 02:11 AM
I didn't see Atonement.

I don't think Juno is anywhere close to deserving.

Michael Clayton, No Country for Old Men, and There Will be Blood were all amazingly good and I'd be perfectly happy to see any of those three win... but I'd have to give There Will be Blood a bit of an edge. Michael Clayton might surprise some people, though -- not too many people saw it, and it was released early enough that a lot of the people who did see it probably don't remember it as well as the later releases, but it was excellent.

Melmart1
01-25-2008, 02:14 AM
Atonement was good, but I didn't think it was better than Michael Clayton, which I think could be the darkhorse here, and would be my pick.

Man, what a tough choice, every category is stacked this year. Should be a very interesting night.

CuckingFunt
01-25-2008, 02:17 AM
Man, what a tough choice, every category is stacked this year. Should be a very interesting night.
Agreed.

I'm a freak for the Oscars, but I haven't been quite this excited in a really long time. I'm actually kind of looking forward to the possibility of a ceremony sans writers, too -- I watch award shows for awards, not uncomfortably bad jokes.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-25-2008, 02:23 AM
The problem isn't so much the lack of jokes since there won't be any writers, but more so the lack of established actors who are going to be willing to cross the picket line. I'm sure the academy could hire last second non-union writers, but it's getting the george clooneys and kiera knightlys of the world to actually attend this year.

and lastly, how can you not give this guy best actor:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ThZI-p8SKe0

:lol

jaffies
01-25-2008, 02:32 AM
Best Picture:

-“Atonement” (Focus Features)
-“Juno” (Fox Searchlight)
-“Michael Clayton” (Warner Bros.)
-“No Country for Old Men” (Miramax and Paramount Vantage)
-“There Will Be Blood” (Paramount Vantage and Miramax)

-----

Best Direction:

-“The Diving Bell and the Butterfly” Julian Schnabel
-“Juno” Jason Reitman
-“Michael Clayton” Tony Gilroy
-“No Country for Old Men” Joel Coen and Ethan Coen
-“There Will Be Blood” Paul Thomas Anderson

-----

Best Actor:

-George Clooney in “Michael Clayton”
-Daniel Day-Lewis in “There Will Be Blood”
-Johnny Depp in “Sweeney Todd The Demon Barber of Fleet Street”
-Tommy Lee Jones in “In the Valley of Elah”
-Viggo Mortensen in “Eastern Promises”

-----

Best Actress:

-Cate Blanchett in “Elizabeth: The Golden Age"
-Julie Christie in “Away from Her”
-Marion Cotillard in “La Vie en Rose”
-Laura Linney in “The Savages”
-Ellen Page in “Juno”

-----

Best Supporting Actor:

-Casey Affleck in “The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford”
-Javier Bardem in “No Country for Old Men”
-Philip Seymour Hoffman in “Charlie Wilson’s War”
-Hal Holbrook in “Into the Wild”
-Tom Wilkinson in “Michael Clayton”

-----

Best Supporting Actress:

-Cate Blanchett in “I’m Not There”
-Ruby Dee in “American Gangster”
-Saoirse Ronan in “Atonement”
-Amy Ryan in “Gone Baby Gone”
-Tilda Swinton in “Michael Clayton”

T Park
01-25-2008, 03:06 AM
I vote for Tommy Lee Jones and Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Two of my personal favorite actors.

They are rereleasing Michael Clayton I believe tommarow.

I'm gonna see if I can catch that and a late run of There will be blood.

Both look quite interesting and Im eager to see em.

T Park
01-25-2008, 03:07 AM
-Casey Affleck in “The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford”

What the hell is this, and when did they release it? :lol

CuckingFunt
01-25-2008, 03:12 AM
What the hell is this, and when did they release it? :lolhttp://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443680/

Got a pretty limited release in the fall and hardly anyone saw it. Casey Affleck was quite good. I actually liked the film overall, but it got pretty mixed reviews.

T Park
01-25-2008, 03:15 AM
Casey Affleck > Ben Affleck

Even though Ben's performance in chasin amy was oscar worthy.

T Park
01-25-2008, 03:17 AM
Any idea how someone can get a chance to watch that movie?

It sounds quite interesting.

Brad Pitt as Jesse James is intriguing.

atxrocker
01-25-2008, 03:32 AM
Casey Affleck > Ben Affleck

:tu

Twisted_Dawg
01-25-2008, 04:56 AM

While it wasn't perfect, I still think it's gonna be one of the few films of our time that will be taught to film students.

I think you are right on both of those points, particularly teaching it at film school.

I think No Country for Old Men might give it a run also.

I liked Micahel Crayton, but never saw it as a Best Picture. It had a real predictable plot and a much used up stock ending.

I was surprised that In the Valley of Elah didnt make the list of Best Picture with its anti-Iraq war theme which the Hollywood elite seem to like. Tommy Lee Jones is nominated for Best Actor.

I didn't see Atonement or Juno...yet. Girlfriend did.

monosylab1k
01-25-2008, 08:46 AM
I like hearing the Oscar nominations but that's where the Oscar enthusiasm ends for me. The actual ceremony is always boring as hell, and the winners are usually bullshit. The fact that Million Dollar Baby cleaned house made the Oscars lose all credibility whatsoever.

mrsmaalox
01-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Well "Juno" has been my favorite, but it's chance of winning is snowball in hell. I do wish Jason Reitman would win for directing. And I don't really care about anyone else but Phillip Seymour-Hoffman.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-25-2008, 06:39 PM
I like hearing the Oscar nominations but that's where the Oscar enthusiasm ends for me. The actual ceremony is always boring as hell, and the winners are usually bullshit. The fact that Million Dollar Baby cleaned house made the Oscars lose all credibility whatsoever.

The Oscars lost credibility back in 1942 when Citizen Kane lost best picture to How Green Was My Valley.

Raging Bull losing to Ordinary People was beyond ridiculous as well.

I think No Country has a great shot at upsetting TWBB, seeing as how it's far more accessible of the two.

I love the Coen Brothers but I really think this is PT Anderson's year.

And Juno was a nice little "cutesy" flick, but come on.

monosylab1k
01-25-2008, 06:58 PM
The Oscars lost credibility back in 1942 when Citizen Kane lost best picture to How Green Was My Valley.

Raging Bull losing to Ordinary People was beyond ridiculous as well.
And of course there was Saving Private Ryan losing to motherfucking Shakespeare In Love.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-25-2008, 08:17 PM
And of course there was Saving Private Ryan losing to motherfucking Shakespeare In Love.

haha, oh man, that was so brutal.

I thought Crash over BM was dumb too

The list could go on and on and on and on :toast

Spurminator
01-25-2008, 10:07 PM
Julia Roberts over Ellen Burstyn....

Melmart1
01-27-2008, 12:45 AM
I don't know if any of you are up for this, but select AMC theatres around the country are having a marathon movie session for the five Best Picture nominees

http://www.amctheatres.com/promos/showcase/

For $30 you get to watch all five movies and get a large popcorn with unlimited refills. It's a 12-hr day but kinda cool if you are into it.

Nothing in San Antonio, though :rolleyes

T Park
01-27-2008, 12:48 AM
Man that would rock.

Shame that SA gets shunned.

Hopefully tommarow night I can get away and see an early viewing of Michael Clayton then There will be blood.

From the previews, there will be blood seems a bit strange. Some dude talking about taking his milkshake.

midgetonadonkey
01-27-2008, 12:48 AM
Even though Ben's performance in chasin amy was oscar worthy.

That's stupid.

You are stupid.

Fucking stupid.

midgetonadonkey
01-27-2008, 12:50 AM

At one time I was a film student and we were shown Freeway and The Mask. Not Rocky Dennis The Mask, Jim Carrey The Mask. So what is being taught to students means nothing.

T Park
01-27-2008, 01:46 AM
That's stupid.

You are stupid.

Fucking stupid

I'll take that as a compliment.

Thanks.

tlongII
01-27-2008, 02:00 AM
Personally I think I should win...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/tlongII/cabosanlucas011.jpg

Kori Ellis
01-27-2008, 02:08 AM
I have not seen one movie all year.

Lame.

midgetonadonkey
01-27-2008, 02:15 AM
Personally I think I should win...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/tlongII/cabosanlucas011.jpg

Dude that chick is a 5 out of 10 at best.

tlongII
01-27-2008, 02:29 AM
Dude that chick is a 5 out of 10 at best.

I can't argue with that.

marini martini
01-27-2008, 02:30 AM
I haven't seen a nomine since "Brokeback" :cry :cry :cry

Ronaldo McDonald
01-27-2008, 02:35 AM
I came back from seeing there will be blood just a couple of hours ago. it was incredible. I can't remember the last time i left a movie theatre with my jaw two inches from the floor. It's one of those movies that will be remembered for a long, long time. so many elements of the movie dovetail to make it great. the acting was great - especially DDL, who was profound. I have to say, though, that although i enjoyed whoever it was that played eli for most of the movie (color blind kid in little miss sunshine) at times he looked awkward and just unfitting. other than that everyone was great in it. the score was just amazing also. up there with the most memorable scores of all time, and it fits the movie to a t. and the cinematography is just jaw dropping. go see this movie. it's difficult to find a problem with it, besides it's length (which was close to three hours long).

now, i haven't seen some of the other movies that are up for oscars, so i got nothing to say about them, but if there's a movie better than this one shame on me for not seeing it yet.

Ronaldo McDonald
01-27-2008, 02:46 AM
just downloaded the score off of itunes. i'm surprised they already have it. it'll tell you a bit about general mood of the movie. it's very different stuff. btw the guitarist from radiohead i gues scored the movie, which i didn;t know just until now

Jelly
01-27-2008, 10:00 AM
The problem isn't so much the lack of jokes since there won't be any writers, but more so the lack of established actors who are going to be willing to cross the picket line. I'm sure the academy could hire last second non-union writers, but it's getting the george clooneys and kiera knightlys of the world to actually attend this year.

and lastly, how can you not give this guy best actor:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ThZI-p8SKe0

:lol

Who cares if Kiera Knightley goes? Seriously. She's a second rate actress who didn't even get a nomination for a role that was tailor made for an Oscar nom.

Jelly
01-27-2008, 10:06 AM
I came back from seeing there will be blood just a couple of hours ago. it was incredible. I can't remember the last time i left a movie theatre with my jaw two inches from the floor. It's one of those movies that will be remembered for a long, long time. so many elements of the movie dovetail to make it great. the acting was great - especially DDL, who was profound. I have to say, though, that although i enjoyed whoever it was that played eli for most of the movie (color blind kid in little miss sunshine) at times he looked awkward and just unfitting. other than that everyone was great in it. the score was just amazing also. up there with the most memorable scores of all time, and it fits the movie to a t. and the cinematography is just jaw dropping. go see this movie. it's difficult to find a problem with it, besides it's length (which was close to three hours long).

now, i haven't seen some of the other movies that are up for oscars, so i got nothing to say about them, but if there's a movie better than this one shame on me for not seeing it yet.

Lucky you! I haven't been able to find this film playing anywhere within a 30 mile radius of me. I live in Northern Virginia, not Hicksville, so I don't get why they won't play it around here
:(

OldDirtMcGirt
01-27-2008, 01:57 PM
I think I'm boycotting the oscars just because Juno got nominated. You have to take a stand somewhere.

Anyways, I'm really torn over No Country for Old Men or There Will Be Blood. I'm watching Blood again today, so hopefully that'll help it out, but both were ridiculously good movies that I wish we could see more of.

Daniel Day-Lewis definitely deserves Best Actor, and so does Javier Bardem for Best Supporting. Tilda Swinton for Best Supporting Actress, and I can't choose Best Actress because I haven't seen all of the performances. PTA should get best director.

pussyface
01-27-2008, 01:57 PM

'Million Dollar Baby' was worse than 'Titanic'? ...or just inferior to you as fodder for masturbation?

to anyone not in the know, I am not making up the fact that this guy is a huge leonardo dicaprio enthusiast.

OldDirtMcGirt
01-27-2008, 02:00 PM
'Million Dollar Baby' was worse than 'Titanic'? ...or just inferior to you as fodder for masturbation?

to anyone not in the know, I am not making up the fact that this guy is a huge leonardo dicaprio enthusiast.

Titanic sucked hard balls. I think that's where I stopped watching the Oscars and just looked them up online and bitched about them.

monosylab1k
01-27-2008, 03:16 PM

I'm not saying Titanic winning wasn't bullshit (LA Confidential should have won), but at least Titanic was this huge fucking cultural phenomenon that took over the entire world. As stupid a reason as it is, at least there's SOMETHING to merit giving it an award at all. Million Dollar Baby was a piece of crap movie that nobody gave a shit about, and the few people that did see it pretty much all thought it sucked balls.

to anyone not in the know, I am not making up the fact that pussyface tried to show off his intelligence on this board by using the word "sycophants" except he spelled it "siccophants". true story.

pussyface
01-27-2008, 08:49 PM
to anyone not in the know, I am not making up the fact that pussyface tried to show off his intelligence on this board by using the word "sycophants" except he spelled it "siccophants". true story.

haha...okay so now that the information is out there, here's what we've got: im not particularly an exceptional speller, and you are a total fag.

pussyface
01-27-2008, 08:53 PM
the problem with mono is that he is living proof that we are all living in the gayest era in history, where it is considered on some level socially acceptable for men sit around and blog about oscar buzz and their admiration for leonardo dicaprio.

monosylab1k
01-28-2008, 02:10 PM
the problem with mono is that he is living proof that we are all living in the gayest era in history, where it is considered on some level socially acceptable for men sit around and blog about oscar buzz and their admiration for leonardo dicaprio.
of course there's no greater display of heterosexual masculinity than to go on message boards with a playfully ironic & self-insulting name that implies your face is a vagina.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-28-2008, 04:14 PM
At one time I was a film student and we were shown Freeway and The Mask. Not Rocky Dennis The Mask, Jim Carrey The Mask. So what is being taught to students means nothing.

That might be the dumbest post I've read on this board.

I don't know if you went to some elementary film school for toddlers, but no sane film curriculum would ever show those kind of films.

There Will Be Blood is full of incredible depth and after seeing it in theaters 3 times (yes 3) I can assure you it's gonna be around for a long time to come.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-28-2008, 04:16 PM
I'll also be pissed if the Coen Brothers take home best directing accolades, because No Country was very similar to the territory they covered in "Fargo" (which was also superior) while TWBB shows PT Anderson growing by leaps and bounds.

No Country just got best direction from the Director's Guild so we'll see what happens.

JoeChalupa
01-28-2008, 04:26 PM
I have not seen one movie all year.

Lame.

I haven't been to the movies in years.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-28-2008, 04:31 PM
lastly, if any of you decide to DL the screener of TWBB that is floating around the internet, I'm just gonna warn you that the ending is cut off and it's missing 15 minutes of footage. I believe someone leaked a very poor workprint of the film.

The film is expanding to more and more theaters by the week, so hopefully within 1 or 2 weeks it'll be playing in your area.

pussyface
01-28-2008, 04:43 PM
of course there's no greater display of heterosexual masculinity than to go on message boards with a playfully ironic & self-insulting name that implies your face is a vagina.

...this post is interesting in that it gets to the gist of why you always come out on the shit-end of exchanges with me.

at the end of the day, its a whole lot harder to effectively insult someone with a sense of irony and self-depricating humor than it is to insult an overly earnerst emo Smashing Pumpkins fanboy, isn't it?

an further illustration of my rhetorical dominance can be found in the posts you do under the account your created to mimic mine, "pussyface." ...the level of comedy on display in such posts is well beneath anyone with even a modestly good sense of humor or high school diploma. also, I don't need to create an alternate account spoofing your name because I already get the better of you in our one-to-one shit talking in the first place.

monosylab1k
01-28-2008, 05:03 PM
:lmao this is all coming from someone who doesn't even have the acumen to operate expedia.com and buy his own plane ticket to San Francisco, so he begs the SpursTalk community to do it for him.