PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco

Findog
01-25-2008, 02:28 AM
I'm going there next week to visit some friends. They work during the day so I'll have that time to sightsee. Any Bay Area natives or people familiar with the area to make some recommendations? I've been once before but I didn't get to do everything I wanted. This time I'll have four days to sightsee. I figure I can get around via BART but if I want to go to Muir Woods/Muir Beach, what is the best way to do that? I'm been trying to come up with an itinerary and I checked lonely planet and frommer's out of the library. Anything in Berkeley worth doing?

Should I leave all Mavericks gear at home? :lol

CuckingFunt
01-25-2008, 02:46 AM
I'm going there next week to visit some friends. They work during the day so I'll have that time to sightsee. Any Bay Area natives or people familiar with the area to make some recommendations? I've been once before but I didn't get to do everything I wanted. This time I'll have four days to sightsee. I figure I can get around via BART but if I want to go to Muir Woods/Muir Beach, what is the best way to do that? I'm been trying to come up with an itinerary and I checked lonely planet and frommer's out of the library. Anything in Berkeley worth doing?

Should I leave all Mavericks gear at home? :lolHaving grown up (part-time) in the Bay Area and developed that super superior San Francisco attitude, I never know any of the tourist-y sightseeing activities in the city (San Franciscans are a notoriously provincial bunch and far too good for that stuff -- good luck finding a native who'd admit to voluntarily doing the Alcatraz tour).

Muir Woods/Muir Beach are absolutely beautiful, as is Stinson Beach, but are probably more easily reached by car unless you can find a group or tour to go with. It's been a while since I've taken the buses, but I don't think any of them will get you there. If you rent a car, though, the drive is almost as lovely as the final destination.

Also, if you're going to cross the Golden Gate, the Marin Headlands are worth checking out -- great views of the city, lots to check out, and relatively low key. The drive along Sir Francis Drake Blvd. is also quite stunning. I've always been fond of Sausalito, which is easily reached by ferry, though there's not really much to actually do there but walk around and window shop.

Berkeley and Albany I love, but again more from the point of view of a resident than a visitor. Both have lots to do in terms of walking around and looking at the various neighborhoods (which is something that I always enjoy doing on vacation, but a lot of people don't), but not too much else giong on other than Tilden park.

CuckingFunt
01-25-2008, 02:57 AM
Also, if you like art or are in any way interested in museums, there's not only great museums/aquarium/etc. in San Francisco, but really good smaller galleries in Berkeley. Again, it's an acquired taste, but as an art nut that's usually the first thing I look for in a new place.

Findog
01-25-2008, 02:58 AM
Thanks for the headsup on Stinson Beach. I hadn't planned on Alcatraz or Ghiralledelli Chocolate or Fisherman's Wharf. They seemed too touristy. I was already going to do the Marin Headlands, so you're saying St. Francis drake is better than Conzelman Drive?

Last time I was there, we only had time for a ferry ride from near the San Rafael Bridge to the Ferry Building, and then we made it halfway thru Golden Gate Park and walked thru Haight-Ashbury. I'm going to leave the nightlife and dining to my buddies, they know better than I do where to go.

So far I plan on hitting Marin Headlands, Baker Beach, the western portion of Golden Gate Park, Muir Beach/Woods, Chinatown, I do want to see the crooked portion of Lombard Street, take the Powell-Hyde Cable Car over Nob Hill.

I know we're going to hit the hipster bars in Russian Hill/North Beach area at nights. Anything special about Union Square or the Presidio?

Thanks again for the tips. I think I'm going to rent a car or convince my buddy that I'm staying with to accompany me to Muir Beach and Stinson Beach up the PCH on Saturday.

T Park
01-25-2008, 03:03 AM
Take the trip to Napa and do a wine tasting trip.

I've done it a few times the last few years.

Its awesome.

CuckingFunt
01-25-2008, 03:08 AM
so you're saying St. Francis drake is better than Conzelman Drive?I'm biased. I went to college in San Rafael and Sir Francis Drake was my go-on-a-drive-to-get-away-from-it-all place. I just love that drive.

I know we're going to hit the hipster bars in Russian Hill/North Beach area at nights. Anything special about Union Square or the Presidio?In general, I've always really like the Presido area. However, it's been so long since I've spent any time there, and even longer since I lived in the city, that I have no idea what's there anymore. I know that a bunch of my old haunts have completely transformed in the last few years.

Thanks again for the tips. I think I'm going to rent a car or convince my buddy that I'm staying with to accompany me to Muir Beach and Stinson Beach up the PCH on Saturday.
Not a bad idea. I've always been of the opinion that having a car IN the city is more of a pain in the ass than anything else, but if you plan to do the beaches and/or any other outlying areas renting a car really will make your life easier. Just be prepared for high bridge tolls and insanely aggressive drivers.

Findog
01-25-2008, 03:11 AM
Not a bad idea. I've always been of the opinion that having a car IN the city is more of a pain in the ass than anything else, but if you plan to do the beaches and/or any other outlying areas renting a car really will make your life easier. Just be prepared for high bridge tolls and insanely aggressive drivers.

We drove out there last time I was there, and the guy we stayed with lived in Petaluma. We parked wherever the ferry was because there was no parking and I didn't want to navigate those steep streets. Hopefully a Saturday in Marin County will be how my friends want to spend their time.

Extra Stout
01-25-2008, 09:33 AM

Tips: Wear something with the American flag on it, or something with a pro-military message. They're very patriotic around there and you'll get lots of positive comments.

Shelly
01-25-2008, 09:49 AM
I'll be in San Francisco in June. It will be my first time back since we moved from there in 1996. It will be interesting to see it from a tourist point of view instead of a resident (I lived there for 4 years and hated it). We lived over by Mt. Davidson (where the big cross is). My husband is going for the ADA conference, so I don't know how much sight seeing we'll get in.

I wonder if my old German neighbor is still alive. She lived with her son and for 4 years I never knew his name. He was always 'der boy'.

Jimcs50
01-25-2008, 10:04 AM
My favorite city in the U.S.

You seem to have read up on the places to go.

Rent a bike and bike over the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito, which a great town across the Bay with great bars and restaurants with great views. That is the best way to go over the brige, because you can stop and take pictures.

shelshor
01-25-2008, 11:39 AM
Tips: Wear something with the American flag on it, or something with a pro-military message. They're very patriotic around there and you'll get lots of positive comments.
Especially when you go to Berkeley for the walk through the circus on Telegraph Ave

PakiDan
01-25-2008, 12:18 PM
Props On The Stinson Beach Info. One Of The Most Beautiful Spots On Earth. A Definate Must Hit.

angel_luv
01-25-2008, 12:53 PM
Have a great trip FinDog! Bring back pictures.

My friend just moved to San Francisco. I haven't been there yet.

T Park
01-25-2008, 01:07 PM

:lol

Sonia_TX
01-25-2008, 01:11 PM
San Fran is my favorite city! Have fun!

Findog
01-25-2008, 02:35 PM

Like at City Lights Bookstore? :lol

My birthday is February 3rd and I'll be in California at the time, so my Mom went ahead and gave me my gift now - a green mavericks t-shirt with the old cowboy hat logo, so I could "wear it on my trip." I told her I I'd have to leave it at home because there was no way I could walk around Oakland without getting way too much grief for it.

tlongII
01-25-2008, 02:45 PM
Go to the zoo and see the tigers.

baseline bum
01-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Like at City Lights Bookstore? :lol

My birthday is February 3rd and I'll be in California at the time, so my Mom went ahead and gave me my gift now - a green mavericks t-shirt with the old cowboy hat logo, so I could "wear it on my trip." I told her I I'd have to leave it at home because there was no way I could walk around Oakland without getting way too much grief for it.

That's weak. I wore my Spurs gear all the time in LA after the 01 sweep.

Solid D
01-25-2008, 04:44 PM

MoSpur
01-25-2008, 05:07 PM

:lol

ShoogarBear
01-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Tips: Wear something with the American flag on it, or something with a pro-military message. They're very patriotic around there and you'll get lots of positive comments.Especially if it's a thong.

bendmz
01-25-2008, 09:45 PM
be sure to wear a flower in your hair..... :fro

NorCal510
01-25-2008, 10:13 PM
I'd recommend wearing a muscle T and walking down Castro Street and find out how long you will survive.

On reality, you shouldn't go to SF without visiting China Town. China town and union square are right by each other so you can always shop right after. Kinda touristy, but it's fun. Uhhh... other than that... I'm not so sure on sightseeing.

marini martini
01-25-2008, 10:42 PM
Congrats on NorCal, am very impressed with the younguns take. Also CF, makes me want to go p.d.q. :toast

NorCal510
01-25-2008, 11:29 PM
Congrats on NorCal, am very impressed with the younguns take. Also CF, makes me want to go p.d.q. :toast
:toast back to you

marini martini
01-25-2008, 11:50 PM
:toast back to you

I knew u could be nice :toast

Un- pink him next Sunday, Kori :toast

NorCal510
01-26-2008, 12:06 AM
I knew u could be nice :toast

Un- pink him next Sunday, Kori :toast
word to that!

marini martini
01-26-2008, 12:09 AM
word to that!

You little altar boy, you :toast

Shelly
01-26-2008, 10:55 AM
I'd recommend wearing a muscle T and walking down Castro Street and find out how long you will survive.

On reality, you shouldn't go to SF without visiting China Town. China town and union square are right by each other so you can always shop right after. Kinda touristy, but it's fun. Uhhh... other than that... I'm not so sure on sightseeing.

My neighbor there told us never to eat in Chinatown. She said if you order chicken, you really got seagull. :nerd

Sapphire
01-26-2008, 11:08 AM

And if you drop your wallet, you better just dribble it like a soccer ball all the way out of that 'hood.

SF is one of my favorite places to visit. My mom used to live in Pacific Heights, and it was awesome to go and stay with her! You can spend a whole day at Golden Gate Park alone. On one visit we did the touristy stuff--the Alcatraz trip sucked, but we also went on a bus tour and it was actually enjoyable. Fisherman's Wharf is fun, but very touristy, too.

It's amazing that a city that smells like urine and fish has such a fan base, but there is still something magical about it.

Shelly
01-26-2008, 11:22 AM
Well, if I lived in Pacific Heights, I may have enjoyed living there after all. :lol

The part of town that we lived in was always foggy and gloomy. The fog may have lifted for an hour if we were lucky. It got depressing after awhile.

CuckingFunt
01-26-2008, 01:50 PM
My neighbor there told us never to eat in Chinatown. She said if you order chicken, you really got seagull. :nerd
Just a bad stereotype. Most of the restaurants/stores have the actual chickens hanging in the windows, and they're definitely not seagull.

Chinatown has great dim sum.

pussyface
01-26-2008, 01:57 PM
Well, if I lived in Pacific Heights, I may have enjoyed living there after all. :lol

The part of town that we lived in was always foggy and gloomy. The fog may have lifted for an hour if we were lucky. It got depressing after awhile.

do you prefer living in redneck, texas?

Bigzax
01-26-2008, 01:57 PM

watch your :sequ hole bud.

Shelly
01-26-2008, 01:59 PM
Just a bad stereotype. Most of the restaurants/stores have the actual chickens hanging in the windows, and they're definitely not seagull.

Chinatown has great dim sum.

Yes, I know...Even the ones not in Chinatown had that.

I honestly don't think I ever went to Chinatown. Where I lived wasn't 'downtown' so I didn't go down there unless I had to...kinda like here.

Shelly
01-26-2008, 02:00 PM
do you prefer living in redneck, texas?

Yes, I do.

Findog
02-07-2008, 11:51 PM
Props On The Stinson Beach Info. One Of The Most Beautiful Spots On Earth. A Definate Must Hit.

Yes, Stinson Beach was awesome.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2339/2249055281_943e4a6ddc.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2117/2249056029_ba9b550d29.jpg

Findog
02-07-2008, 11:54 PM

I walked through the Castro with my friends and only got catcalled at once. Kind of a blow to my confidence :lol

Yeah, Chinatown was cool. I actually stayed off Grant Avenue and went down Stockton, it was less touristy.

Findog
02-07-2008, 11:56 PM

Mmm!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2214/2246214515_e8dc742762.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2002/2247311630_b61516a96f.jpg

Those fish were still alive btw, flopping around without water. Even that fish cut in half in the background was still flopping around.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2371/2246517117_e5c9e6967d.jpg

Fillmoe
02-08-2008, 12:00 AM

:lol :lol

Findog
02-08-2008, 12:02 AM
Also, no trip to San Francisco is complete without visiting the Tenderloin and Western Addition.

Oh, Gee!!
02-08-2008, 01:49 PM
you should hang out in the Castro all day. they'll love you there.

I. Hustle
07-27-2011, 11:46 AM
When ya going back?