PDA

View Full Version : Mahinmi to join Spurs for Rodeo Road Trip

tomcat
01-25-2008, 12:13 PM
Ian Mahinmi will join the Spurs for the Rodeo Road Trip that begins next Monday.

He is set to leave the Toros after their Saturday game at Tulsa.

With TP having the flu bug and Barry being sidelined for the near to distant future with the recurring calf injury it will be interesting to see what other moves might be made by the FO.

Mahinmi's call-up may be the beginning of the end for Richardson who has not been activated since that infamous start. However, Spurs are on the hook for the entire 10-day contract whether he's waived after 1 or 10 days.

This just in: Kaniel Dickens of the Colorado 14ers is really good. He did workout for the Spurs in that workout with Richardson, Langford, Johnson and Williams. I think the Spurs may give him a 10-day at some point in the season.

Kori Ellis
01-25-2008, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the update!

I'd like to see Mahinmi get some spot minutes. He can't be much worse than Elson :tu

Phenomanul
01-25-2008, 12:16 PM
True.... Elson always looks lost and out of position... He alone has more defensive 3-second violations than the rest of the team combined.

Supergirl
01-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Yay!!!

T Park
01-25-2008, 12:45 PM
wow we have an insider.

how awesome!!! :)

Thanks for the info.

I agree on Mahinmi.

Put him out there, he cant be any worse than elson.

In fact, he could prove to be better.

MoSpur
01-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Pretty good. I wouldn't doubt Pop putting him in for significant minutes. He's been playing with the lineup lately.

ancestron
01-25-2008, 12:54 PM
I wonder if they would give me a 10 day contract

Rynospursfan
01-25-2008, 12:55 PM
It will be interesting to see how long he can stay on the court.

BonnerDynasty
01-25-2008, 12:55 PM
Sweet

VaSpursFan
01-25-2008, 01:07 PM
outstanding. ian's been doing pretty well in the d-league. hopefully pop will throw him in the mix for a few games to see how much progress he's made. this may be the beginning of the end for elson...

Bruno
01-25-2008, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the info.

It will be interesting to see if Mahinmi will get a chance or if he will just be with the team like James White last year during the RRT.

Even if Mahinmi doesn't play with Spurs, I think it's a good move. Getting some practice time and sharing the life of Spurs during the RRT will help more Mahinmi than the 4 D-League games he would miss during the RRT.

T Park
01-25-2008, 01:16 PM
Agreed, IMO, I would give him some time.

Especially against Seattle.

2nd night of a back to back, other than Kurt Thomas no decent bigs to defend him if hes in there with Duncan.

Give the kid some run, see where it leads.

Ocotillo
01-25-2008, 01:17 PM
That's good and I am happy for Mahinmi but you bring up a good point about point guard. With Tony either fighting the flu or a bum heel and Bones going down last night, wouldn't a 10 day contract be more likely for a point or at least a combo guard?

Bruno is right about the RRT and it being a bonding time.

SouthernFried
01-25-2008, 01:38 PM
He's got a video on YouTube...didn't look like much to me. Mebbe he's gotten better, and what do we have to lose?

Can't anyone do anything with Elson?

inconvertible
01-25-2008, 01:39 PM
Yes

T Park
01-25-2008, 01:46 PM
He's got a video on YouTube...didn't look like much to me

Well obviously that is a good way to judge him.

timvp
01-25-2008, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the news :tu

With Barry injured, there's a roster spot open for Mahinmi. However, the Spur would then have six bigs active ... which NBA teams rarely do. The Spurs still might do it just because Vaughn has shown he can buy a few minutes at shooting guard when need be.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs kept Richardson active or brought in another guard. Perhaps even someone link Langford. It'd be nice to have Mahinmi in uniform but you also need to make sure the team can win. A swingman rotation of Ginobili, Bowen, Finley and Udoka is pretty damn shallow.

We'll see if Mahinmi is activated but either way it should be a good experience for him to see what the Rodeo Road Trip is all about.

objective
01-25-2008, 02:27 PM
re: Mahinmi and being active or not

I believe there's 3 back-to-backs on the road trip, so I think there's a good chance that Horry gets de-activated for the second-night games anyway and that would give Mahinmi uniform time.

ChumpDumper
01-25-2008, 02:48 PM
Bruno called it.

If he plays, vBookie on his foul per minute rate.

dougp
01-25-2008, 03:19 PM
When can we expect Elson to be traded? >=)

wildbill2u
01-25-2008, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the update!

I'd like to see Mahinmi get some spot minutes. He can't be much worse than Elson :tu
I agree and it should provide some fun in a stretch where things have been either blah or negative what with the lackluster play and injuries.

Maybe Pop will try to shake things up a little if his hand is forced.

e20dylan
01-25-2008, 04:02 PM
we are countin on this guy for our future! cant wait to get a better look at him

AFBlue
01-25-2008, 04:07 PM
When can we expect Elson to be traded? >=)

My sentiments exactly....

Trade Elson for a wing player, call up Mahinmi and see if he sticks at the NBA level. If he's not ready, then send him back down for the rest of the season and go small-ball.

e20dylan
01-25-2008, 04:10 PM
My sentiments exactly....

Trade Elson for a wing player, call up Mahinmi and see if he sticks at the NBA level. If he's not ready, then send him back down for the rest of the season and go small-ball.

i like your thinkin. i think elson is the only one we need to get rid of.

urunobili
01-25-2008, 04:26 PM
this is just for him to familiarize our annual Rodeo Trip... i don;t see playing minutes ahead of Elson... that would be a pretty harsh call from Pop against him... i still don;t understand why all this Elson hate...

e20dylan
01-25-2008, 04:34 PM
this is just for him to familiarize our annual Rodeo Trip... i don;t see playing minutes ahead of Elson... that would be a pretty harsh call from Pop against him... i still don;t understand why all this Elson hate...

man its just... that last rockets game he was shooting from outside like CRAZY i mean maybe he can make those sometimes but shouldnt our better shooters be taking those possessions instead of elson. i think elson lost us that game personally. he just takes stupid shots and makes dumb choices. i think we can do better. i have respect for him for what he did for us last year but hes playing out of control lately. and pop sees it.

hater
01-25-2008, 04:36 PM
i still don;t understand why all this Elson hate...

huh, he sucks ass?

Harry Callahan
01-25-2008, 04:39 PM
I am looking forward to seeing a guy like Ian who will hopefully be around a long time. he is still only 21. The roster needs some young blood obviously very soon.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-25-2008, 05:52 PM
Interesting....

:smokin

Rynospursfan
01-25-2008, 06:00 PM
man its just... that last rockets game he was shooting from outside like CRAZY i mean maybe he can make those sometimes but shouldnt our better shooters be taking those possessions instead of elson. i think elson lost us that game personally. he just takes stupid shots and makes dumb choices. i think we can do better. i have respect for him for what he did for us last year but hes playing out of control lately. and pop sees it.

Elson only played 6 mins. in that Houston game. Funny thing is I still agree with you. 6 mins was enough to fuck it all up given how poorly he played.

e20dylan
01-25-2008, 06:04 PM
Elson only played 6 mins. in that Houston game. Funny thing is I still agree with you. 6 mins was enough to fuck it all up given how poorly he played.

i honestly couldnt believe what i was seeing with my own eyes.

objective
01-25-2008, 06:30 PM
halfway through the season, what does it tell us now that Elson and Bonner are in DNP-CD territory?

When you consider that both are in their second year of the system, both have been given playing time opportunities during the early year, and the other big men in Oberto and Horry don't seem to have Pop's full confidence and have struggled to one degree or another?

If Jeremy Richardson can get a surprise start, and if Pop has toyed with the idea that the Spurs are better off with Udoka checking big men than Elson or Bonner, is it too much to think that Mahinmi might get a surprise opportunity?

e20dylan
01-25-2008, 06:59 PM
halfway through the season, what does it tell us now that Elson and Bonner are in DNP-CD territory?

When you consider that both are in their second year of the system, both have been given playing time opportunities during the early year, and the other big men in Oberto and Horry don't seem to have Pop's full confidence and have struggled to one degree or another?

If Jeremy Richardson can get a surprise start, and if Pop has toyed with the idea that the Spurs are better off with Udoka checking big men than Elson or Bonner, is it too much to think that Mahinmi might get a surprise opportunity?

bonner didnt play the last 2 games because we were playing small ball. bonner isnt in the dog house

Spurs Dynasty 21
01-25-2008, 07:12 PM
I really hope he shines

manufor3
01-25-2008, 07:32 PM
Elson has struggled recently and is not showing that he can function in our system.

Manu_Ginobili
01-25-2008, 07:37 PM
I hope Mahinmi helps! On NBA TV yesterday P. Vessey stated that Pop is making the same mistake he did 2 years ago when he went to play "small ball" against Dallas and we LOST 3-4...This time, he says, the Spurs started the "small ball" system too early, Tim Duncan can get "burned out" by a Playoff Time putting pressure on himself to get rbs, score points, blokc shots, YOU NAME IT...Vessey is got a point though - I want to see us playing our BIGS regularly and to kepp Timmy ONLY at the LOW POST, PLEASE!!! No matchups at the center position for Timmy, PLEASE!!!

Manu_Ginobili
01-25-2008, 07:46 PM
I don't know how bad Elson is, but one thing I know - with Horry wearing number 25 and currently having zero mobility, and Pop 'killing' Timmy at the center and the low post playing C-PF, and doing the "dirty work", the Spurs are playing a "small ball" again, and this experience was painful for us 2 years ago against Dallas - 3-4 LOSS, if I remember well...THEREFORE, playing a "small ball" in this league is a sure recipe for a DISASTER, if you know what I mean...I hope you agree with that statement because to be honest, I CAN'T see Timmy in a 7-Game series ALONE against the BIG DALLAS GUYS, Camby, Nene and KMartin-trio, etc., you name it; who plays a "small ball" these days besides Popovich??? NOBODY... :downspin: :downspin: :downspin: :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang

ManuTastic
01-25-2008, 08:35 PM
Easy there...

greens
01-25-2008, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the news :tu

With Barry injured, there's a roster spot open for Mahinmi. However, the Spur would then have six bigs active ... which NBA teams rarely do. The Spurs still might do it just because Vaughn has shown he can buy a few minutes at shooting guard when need be.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs kept Richardson active or brought in another guard. Perhaps even someone link Langford. It'd be nice to have Mahinmi in uniform but you also need to make sure the team can win. A swingman rotation of Ginobili, Bowen, Finley and Udoka is pretty damn shallow.

We'll see if Mahinmi is activated but either way it should be a good experience for him to see what the Rodeo Road Trip is all about.

I'm also glad that Mahinmi is getting a chance. Barry being out and Tony being under the weather is not good at all...Plus, this Rodeo Road Trip is important for the Spurs...it's their signature in a way...

I just don't understand your comment about the rotation of Ginobili, Bowen, Finely and Udoka as being shallow? Udoka has been having really amazing games lately. He's been proven to be a good defender and an offensive player too. Also, having Manu in any rotation already makes it a decent rotation...the guy scores 37pts on occasion and can do so many things. Finley also has the ability to really shoot the ball well at times, he gets hot sometimes too. And Bruce always offers the best defense...Not a bad rotation in my opinion...

ChumpDumper
01-25-2008, 09:24 PM
who plays a "small ball" these days besides Popovich??? NOBODY...I don't think you watch the NBA much.

Ice009
01-25-2008, 09:29 PM

Well Elson is probably mixed up because Pop told him to take those outside shots. The problem is Elson isn't taking them in the flow of the game though, plus his defense is rubbish. If he were to get his rotations down he might be a good player for us, but I think it could be too late for him now. He should have been a lot better defensively at this point in time.

debo
01-25-2008, 09:31 PM
I really hope he shines

if he does elson is gone

timvp
01-25-2008, 09:32 PM
I just don't understand your comment about the rotation of Ginobili, Bowen, Finely and Udoka as being shallow? Udoka has been having really amazing games lately. He's been proven to be a good defender and an offensive player too. Also, having Manu in any rotation already makes it a decent rotation...the guy scores 37pts on occasion and can do so many things. Finley also has the ability to really shoot the ball well at times, he gets hot sometimes too. And Bruce always offers the best defense...Not a bad rotation in my opinion...Shallow as in the opposite of deep. Most NBA teams have five or six swingmen available each night. Having only four active swingmen is pretty much unheard of.

If you have only Ginobili, Bowen, Finley and Udoka, you are one injury away from being in real trouble and two injuries away from not being able to field a team.

timvp
01-25-2008, 09:36 PM
I think some people are reading a little too much into this situation. White joined the Spurs for the RRT and didn't even play. There's a decent chance that Mahinmi doesn't play and there's a good chance that he only plays during garbage time.

Mahinmi is joining the Spurs as primarily a bounding experience. I don't think there's more to it than that at this point. Pop is good at giving young guys a little playing time but I think that playing time for Mahinmi would be token playing time. A scenario where Mahinmi plays well in his time and becomes a part of the everyday rotation going forward just isn't going to happen.

AFBlue
01-25-2008, 09:43 PM
I think some people are reading a little too much into this situation. White joined the Spurs for the RRT and didn't even play. There's a decent chance that Mahinmi doesn't play and there's a good chance that he only plays during garbage time.

Mahinmi is joining the Spurs as primarily a bounding experience. I don't think there's more to it than that at this point. Pop is good at giving young guys a little playing time but I think that playing time for Mahinmi would be token playing time. A scenario where Mahinmi plays well in his time and becomes a part of the everyday rotation going forward just isn't going to happen.

Maybe not play well enough to get into the regular rotation, but maybe play well enough to justify not having Elson around as "athletic big man" insurance.

In other words, send him back down to continue his development then bring him back up at the end of the year/playoffs when the D-League season has wound down. If there's a need for matchups and he can be insurance or play spot minutes, then so be it.

And...as you've already stated the Spurs are thin in the backcourt and on the wings with the injuries they've sustained, so if Elson and his expiring $3M were expendable, it would be beneficial to the Spurs..

Bottom Line: It's time to bring up Mahinmi for a bit to see if he could be that effective "big man insurance", and to trade away Elson for some much needed backcourt/wing help.

fyatuk
01-25-2008, 09:52 PM

He's been here for a while and still can't figure out where to be on either side of the floor. His spacing on offense and rotations on defense both royally suck. He continually disrupts the Spurs on both ends of the floor and it's annoying. It's quite aggravating.

SenorSpur
01-25-2008, 09:54 PM
Maybe not play well enough to get into the regular rotation, but maybe play well enough to justify not having Elson around as "athletic big man" insurance.

In other words, send him back down to continue his development then bring him back up at the end of the year/playoffs when the D-League season has wound down. If there's a need for matchups and he can be insurance or play spot minutes, then so be it.

And...as you've already stated the Spurs are thin in the backcourt and on the wings with the injuries they've sustained, so if Elson and his expiring $3M were expendable, it would be beneficial to the Spurs..

Bottom Line: It's time to bring up Mahinmi for a bit to see if he could be that effective "big man insurance", and to trade away Elson for some much needed backcourt/wing help.

Reasonable proposition. I'm glad he's getting the call too. As it stands, Duncan is having to man the entire frontline with no help whatsoever. No one else rebounds, blocks shots or defends the rim except him. Ian may still be raw, but he's active and athletic. He could hard do any worse that Elson.

ChumpDumper
01-25-2008, 10:23 PM
I doubt he plays meaningful minutes.

wildbill2u
01-25-2008, 10:36 PM
I don't know how bad Elson is, but one thing I know - with Horry wearing number 25 and currently having zero mobility, and Pop 'killing' Timmy at the center and the low post playing C-PF, and doing the "dirty work", the Spurs are playing a "small ball" again, and this experience was painful for us 2 years ago against Dallas - 3-4 LOSS, if I remember well...THEREFORE, playing a "small ball" in this league is a sure recipe for a DISASTER, if you know what I mean...I hope you agree with that statement because to be honest, I CAN'T see Timmy in a 7-Game series ALONE against the BIG DALLAS GUYS, Camby, Nene and KMartin-trio, etc., you name it; who plays a "small ball" these days besides Popovich??? NOBODY... :downspin: :downspin: :downspin: :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang
Dont worry. I can absolutely fucking guarantee you won't see Timmy playing alone in a 7-game series against Dallas big guys, Camby, Nene, and K-Martin!

Count it!

boutons_
01-25-2008, 10:52 PM
Ian's pretty stupid about fouling. He needs to fix that problem fast, if he wants to stay on any court enough to learn the game.

So what games on the RRT have matchups that would prefer Ian over small ball?

ducks
01-25-2008, 11:36 PM
Ian's pretty stupid about fouling. He needs to fix that problem fast, if he wants to stay on any court enough to learn the game.

So what games on the RRT have matchups that would prefer Ian over small ball?
Ian has stand on the floor better lately

milkyway21
01-26-2008, 01:47 AM
somebody from the top must have visited the game blogs..

nice. Because I hate to think that Ian might become the next Butler in the off season without even seeing minutes this yr.
I hope he can deliver in limited minutes, or garbage time or not.

Indazone
01-26-2008, 02:41 AM
Finally an intelligent move by the Spurs front office. Mahinmi will be to the Spurs what Carl Landry is to the Rockets. Energy and rebounding. High efficiency and high PER.

ChumpDumper
01-26-2008, 02:49 AM
Not a great fundamental rebounder; better when he's crashing the boards. Nice hook shot though -- and he's a freak athlete.

Hemotivo
01-26-2008, 03:31 AM
and he's a freak athlete.and like ten years younger than elson

SenorSpur
01-26-2008, 03:38 AM
Pop and his coaching staff seem to have an aversion to athletic ability and energy. I think Pop prefers guys who play "below the rim"

spurspf
01-26-2008, 03:51 AM
Pop and his coaching staff seem to have an aversion to athletic ability and energy. I think Pop prefers guys who play "below the rim"

I think it's more that they prefer bb IQ over athleticism. Not that Elson has any, but just saying what Pop would prefer.

slayermin
01-26-2008, 03:55 AM
Cool. Sean Elliott can use his "this game is a yawner" line again.

polandprzem
01-26-2008, 04:13 AM
Finally an intelligent move by the Spurs front office.

Yup - other moves were not inteligent

:rolleyes

loveforthegame
01-26-2008, 11:54 AM
I hope he finds some minutes but I agree with others that he's probably just along for the bonding experience only.

Bruno
01-28-2008, 02:06 PM
It's official.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/scorecard/nbanews.asp?articleID=224276

Spurs recall Mahinmi from D-League
Monday, January 28, 2008

San Antonio, TX (Sports Network) - The San Antonio Spurs recalled Ian Mahinmi from the Austin Toros of the NBA Development League Monday.

The 6-foot-11, 230-pound Mahinmi appeared in six games for the Spurs earlier this season, averaging 3.5 points per contest.

In 24 games with the Toros, the forward/center averaged 18 points, 7.7 rebounds and 1.2 blocks and was leading the D-League in field goal percentage, shooting over 64 percent from the floor.

Mahinmi was originally selected by the Spurs in the first round of the 2005 NBA Draft with the 28th overall pick.

yavozerb
01-28-2008, 02:23 PM
Probably will not be active for tonights game though..

boutons_
01-28-2008, 02:28 PM
If he busts his butt and plays smart and stops the stupid fouling, outside chance he could stay on the Spurs, but you have to think about his Spurs PT vs Toros PT.

Tim REALLY needs some help down low, rebounding, changing/blocking shots.

ThomasGranger
01-28-2008, 02:32 PM
The way the Toros have been playing lately he'd probably pick up a bunch of bad habits over the long haul. I'm hoping he can finish out the season with the Spurs and start getting a feel for the complexities of the Spurs system.

Indazone
01-28-2008, 02:38 PM
Mahinmi is very efficient he'll help out right away. He'll make his share of rookie mistakes but as a role player he'll help out with his raw energy.

tav1
01-28-2008, 02:43 PM
I wonder if Pop will start Ian ala Jeremy Richardson in one of the RRT contests.

ehz33satx
01-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Pop will play him 3 or 4 minutes in garbage time IF he plays him at all. That is Pop's MO. Mark my words. I am getting kind of tired of Pop playing age over youth and athleticism. Put some tall and athletic guys out there to corral some rebounds instead of going with the old, small line up that he has grown fond of.

Southwest Texas Fan
01-28-2008, 02:52 PM
Is he still weighing 230 lbs? When I saw The Spurs calendar a couple of months ago they had him listed at 245. Anyone know?

ehz33satx
01-28-2008, 02:53 PM

He gets sat the whole game, then comes in a plays a few minutes of garbage time when the Spurs are getting blown out. How do you expect him to play a great game? He has been sitting getting cold. Maybe if he was warmed up and ready to go.

ehz33satx
01-28-2008, 02:57 PM
Pop is a great coach and all but he seriously messes with young players egos when he never gives them any significant minutes. What does Horry do but block 1 shot a game and scores 2 or 3 points? We get some young players and they get cut after a game or two, with 1 or 2 minutes of playing time to show what they have before they get shown the door.

ehz33satx
01-28-2008, 03:09 PM
Matt Bonner scores 25 points and gets 12 rebounds in a game. Since then he has had hardly any playing time at all. So don't look for Mahinmi to get minutes either.

tav1
01-28-2008, 03:31 PM
This is a painful to say, but Elson is a better player than Mahinmi at this point. Yet, having said that, Mahinmi could surprise us. If he gets a chance to play, and plays with lots of energy, maybe he could inject a little life into a (Duncan aside) lackluster front court rotation.

If not, Mahinmi will benefit from a couple weeks in a big league locker room. He can finish out his season with the Toros and possibly crack the rotation sometime next season.

timvp
01-28-2008, 03:34 PM
I wonder if it'll be Richardson or Mahinmi active tonight. If Pop is going to throw Mahinmi into the water, might as well do it now when he's in basketball shape instead of waiting for the end of the trip.

Start Mahinmi :hungry:

ChumpDumper
01-28-2008, 03:36 PM
If he's not going to play any other big man, he might as well try Ian out. A putback dunk before fouling out would be exciting.

timvp
01-28-2008, 03:45 PM
If he's not going to play any other big man, he might as well try Ian out. A putback dunk before fouling out would be exciting.The thing is though that the NBA is probably the only league in the world where Mahinmi won't be constantly plagued with foul trouble. The bump fouls he gets called for in every other league isn't called that much in the NBA -- especially when it's big on big. I'm more worried about his rotations defensively and his hands offensively ... although fouls will still be an issue until he proves he can ever play without fouling.

P.S.

Again, next job tomcat :tu

objective
01-28-2008, 03:59 PM
If Mahinmi cuts out the dumb fouls he picks up from reaching that would be big. After he gets chewed out from Pop a couple of times that could change.

td4mvp21
01-28-2008, 04:29 PM
I think he should give him some playing time and see what he can do.

peskypesky
01-28-2008, 04:36 PM
No way that Mahinmi is worse than Elson. I'm really looking forward to seeing the kid get some minutes...

AFBlue
01-28-2008, 04:38 PM
No way that Mahinmi is worse than Elson. I'm really looking forward to seeing the kid get some minutes...

There's a way, but based on what little we've seen it appears that Mahinmi has a few things going for him....

1. Passion
2. Not overwhelmed by the big stage
3. Athletic
4. Aggressive
5. Smart.....er than Elson

e20dylan
01-28-2008, 04:40 PM
is he going to get some playing time tonight? is the game on any other channels besides nbatv?

ricketts
01-28-2008, 04:50 PM
Well obviously that is a good way to judge him.

Man, you ARE always sarcastic. I'm just sayin.

cherylsteele
01-28-2008, 10:28 PM
is he going to get some playing time tonight? is the game on any other channels besides nbatv?
he is not even in the box score.

timvp
01-29-2008, 12:21 AM
He was on the inactive list tonight. Makes sense because this was either Richardson's second to last game of his ten-day contract. Mahinmi probably becomes after after Richardson is gone .... unless the Spurs bring in another swingman on a ten-day.

AFBlue
01-29-2008, 12:24 AM
He was on the inactive list tonight. Makes sense because this was either Richardson's second to last game of his ten-day contract. Mahinmi probably becomes after after Richardson is gone .... unless the Spurs bring in another swingman on a ten-day.

If Stoudamire is signed, wouldn't he be the 12th guy?