PDA

View Full Version : Starting Questions For All-Star Game

LakeShow
01-25-2008, 03:22 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-080125

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0124/nba_g_paul_580.jpg

Starting Questions For All-Star Game
By Tim Legler

The All-Star starters have been named, but there are still a few questions that need answering …

Who's the most deserving All-Star who's not starting?

The biggest omission from the starters has to be Chris Paul. The Hornets have the West's best record and Paul is their unquestioned star and leader. He has taken his game to another dimension this year and has elevated his status to a top three point guard, along with Steve Nash and Deron Williams.

New Orleans is third best in fewest turnovers and fourth in points allowed. Both stats speak volumes about Paul's impact on the game. He controls the game as well any player in the league and has become one of the premier late-game finishers -- by way of scoring or creating -- not named Kobe Bryant.

Should Dwyane Wade be in the East's starting five?

Wade has been a one-man band in Miami this season and his statistics are certainly worthy of starting in the All-Star Game, but the team's abysmal performance has to be factored into the equation. The Heat are the worst team in the East and Wade is their best player by far. A team's star has to bear some of the responsibility of losing and that should relegate Wade to reserve status.

As much as I respect his game and his character, Chauncey Billups or Joe Johnson is more deserving this season.

What's the fans' biggest voting boo-boo?

There are no obvious mistakes because all of the starters are deserving … but I'd have Chris Paul in for Allen Iverson.

Which reserve candidate is perhaps most in danger of being overlooked who shouldn't be?

The player that could very well be overlooked but is absolutely deserving is Orlando forward Hedo Turkoglu. He may just have the misfortune of having his best season in a year in which there is a surplus of deserving forwards (Kevin Garnett, LeBron James, Caron Butler, Chris Bosh, Richard Jefferson, and Antawn Jamison).

Turkoglu is averaging over 18 points per game and almost 7 rebounds per game for a team that has been solidly running third in the East all season. Most importantly, he has been their "go-to" playmaker down the stretch and his 3-point shooting has given Dwight Howard all the freedom he needs down in the paint. The Magic, along with the Cavs, represent the East's only true threat to the Celtics and Pistons.

David West of the Hornets may also be on the outside looking in; the quiet star is overshadowed by a plethora of deserving forwards. Without West, the Hornets are a .500 team.

How big an honor is it to be voted in versus selected as a reserve?

To be honest, although every player wants to be adored and appreciated by the fans, their true pride comes with the acknowledgment that the coaches value their contribution. We all understand that every year there will be players who will win the popularity contest and get the starting nod, but the reserves flat-out earn their selection.

Who do you think is most excited to be selected a starter and why?

Without a doubt, Carmelo Anthony of the Denver Nuggets. A starting forward position in the Western Conference is hard to come by. Over the past several years those spots have been locked up by KG, Dirk Nowitzki, Tim Duncan and so on.

Who should pick the starters?

I have no problem with the current format. The game is truly about the fans and is a showcase of who they really want to see. The players and media have too many agendas and biases so the coaches are the right people to select the reserves.

ESPN analyst Tim Legler is a regular contributor to the Daily Dime

JamStone
01-25-2008, 03:26 PM
There does need to be some tweaks in the voting process because deservedly or not, Yi Jianlian is going to be a starting forward in the all star game over the next 10 plus years.

Tippecanoe
01-25-2008, 03:47 PM
there was a time i cared about the all star game. memories.

JamStone
01-25-2008, 04:06 PM
there was a time i cared about the all star game. memories.

Like the past 20 years before this season?

Tippecanoe
01-25-2008, 04:14 PM
Like the past 20 years before this season?

like when the all star game meant i get to see larry on tv again

Medvedenko
01-25-2008, 05:01 PM
I wonder if Tmac will get picked.....

LakeShow
01-25-2008, 06:46 PM
I doubt it, he has been injuried for too long during the season.

I think they need to expand the rosters because a lot of deserving players are left out because of the fan voting. And that's bullshit! Deserving players this year are: Chris Paul, Parker, Manu, Roy, Beron Davis, Nash, Deron Williams..Even though the all-star game is crap..it's nice to be called an all-star and it looks like Nash and Paul are guaranteed there is only one spot left for 5 deserving players.

Expand the damn rosters and let them all be all-stars, they sure as hell deserve to be there!

What about Dirk? Will he make the team? If not I wonder has there ever been a MVP the previous season and not an all star the next?

DOMINATOR
01-25-2008, 06:49 PM
i dont see why the nba doesnt allow a "wild card" vote for the fans... like a 6th man that is voted by the fans and announced with the starters.

dirk4mvp
01-25-2008, 07:19 PM
I doubt it, he has been injuried for too long during the season.

I think they need to expand the rosters because a lot of deserving players are left out because of the fan voting. And that's bullshit! Deserving players this year are: Chris Paul, Parker, Manu, Roy, Beron Davis, Nash, Deron Williams..Even though the all-star game is crap..it's nice to be called an all-star and it looks like Nash and Paul are guaranteed there is only one spot left for 5 deserving players.

Expand the damn rosters and let them all be all-stars, they sure as hell deserve to be there!

While your at it, we might as well have 3 mvp's a year and 2 champions a year as well. Hell, others deserve mvps and championships too!