PDA

View Full Version : Wow Jordan ! I didn't know that

lefty
01-25-2008, 04:11 PM
March 25, 1989.

Getting tired of being told he's just a scorer and Magic Johnson is a winner, Mike led the Bulls to a sweep of a Western Conference trip with 21 points, 12 rebounds and 12 assists. It is a period of 14 games in which he averaged 32.6 points, 10.3 rebounds and 11.9 assists and recorded 11 triple-doubles in the 14 games, twice also while scoring more than 40 points :wow

Tippecanoe
01-25-2008, 04:18 PM
greatest basketball player ever

atxrocker
01-25-2008, 04:22 PM
jordan is a god on the court. he was such a huge competitor and always did anything he had to to win.

ancestron
01-25-2008, 04:37 PM
Its funny to think about the fact that after he won 3 titles in a row, he said to himself, "ok, I think I'll retire." He retires, gets bored, comes back and wins three more freakin titles in a row.

A lot of NBA players retired ringless because of him.

hater
01-25-2008, 04:39 PM
huh he was forced to retire because of his gambling. anyway it is impressive he came back and won 3 more, but he's Jordan

Xylus
01-25-2008, 04:52 PM
Doesn't get any better.

ancestron
01-25-2008, 05:45 PM
oh yeah, gambling, shit I forgot all about that.

Medvedenko
01-25-2008, 06:00 PM
He was pretty awesome...no doubt. It's funny that when he started winning rings his individual stats dipped a little....shows you what a team can do.

Sportcamper
01-25-2008, 06:13 PM
Jordan is far from being the greatest…If anyone with basketball sense constructed a team of all time they would pick...
1- Magic
2- Wilt
3- Kobe
4- West
5- Ok Maybe Jordan can be the 5th or 6th pick…But no way in the top 4….
The only reason that the Bulls ever won a Championship is because the Lakers & the Celtics were rebuilding after many decades of Championships…

anjlbitz
01-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Jordan is far from being the greatest…If anyone with basketball sense constructed a team of all time they would pick...
1- Magic
2- Wilt
3- Kobe
4- West
The only reason that the Bulls ever won a Championship is because the Lakers & the Celtics were rebuilding after many decades of Championships…

SpursDynasty?

DazedAndConfused
01-25-2008, 06:22 PM
WTF Jordan is the greatest individual talent at the SG position the NBA has ever seen. Better than Kobe, and I'm a Laker and Kobe fan.

Kobe is the only SG in the NBA that is even on Jordan's level though.

Extra Stout
01-25-2008, 06:23 PM
1- Magic
2- Wilt
3- Kobe
4- West
No way Jordan is #5. You forgot Kareem, Elgin Baylor, Shaq, James Worthy, Gail Goodrich, Norm Nixon, Rick Fox, Andrew Bynum, and Sedale Threatt.

JamStone
01-25-2008, 06:28 PM
The only players arguably better than Jordan as individual players in the entire history of the game are Wilt and Oscar. Not Magic, not Kobe, no one else.

Lakafan23
01-25-2008, 07:54 PM
1- Magic
2- Wilt
3- Kobe
4- West

:wtf :wtf :wtf

Okay there must be something wrong with you. how could you say that Jordan is maybe 5th or 6th?!?!?!?! He's the greatest player to step foot on a basketball court. I don't understand how your brain could even let you think that Jordan isn't the best. That's ridiculous.

lefty
01-25-2008, 08:20 PM
No way Jordan is #5. You forgot Kareem, Elgin Baylor, Shaq, James Worthy, Gail Goodrich, Norm Nixon, Rick Fox, Andrew Bynum, and Sedale Threatt.

:lmao

lefty
01-25-2008, 08:25 PM
For me, Magic and Jordan share the # 1 spot.

You can't forget the performance Magic had as a rookie in game 6 vs Philly; okay, he didn't really play center (overhyped), but still, as a rook, and without Kareem, it's an amazing performance.

Also, Magic had to face the Cletics on a regular basis.

He won 5 titles

Apperead in 9 Finals :wow

He could have won 6 titles and threepeated if he didn't get injured vs Detroit in that 1st game in 1989.

MrChug
01-27-2008, 05:13 AM
1- Magic
2- Wilt
3- Kobe
4- West

Awwww...we have a "special" one on our hands kids!

http://online-book-store.net/T-SHIRT%20STORE%20FILES/Blog%20Pictures/Blog%201/School%20Bus/School-Bus-Med.gif

Look retard, this has to be the stupidest argument ever. That's like taking away the Heat championship, Pistons, Rockets, and Spurs championships because there were no other dominant teams at that moment.

You know why? BECAUSE THE PISTONS/ROCKETS/HEAT & SPURS dominated the rest of the competition, that's not their fault. They outplayed the competion, that's what you need to do to win...I'll give you another point of logic JUST as obvious: YOU NEED TO HEAT SOMETHING UP TO MAKE IT HOT.

:idiot

endrity
01-27-2008, 07:17 AM
People say the Bulls never faced anyone. Let me explain why. Jordan never allowed anyone in the 90s to be even close to their level. Utah, Phoenix, Portland were all good teams, they all won 60+ in those regular seasons and simply couldn't threaten the Bulls. They were that good, and the 96 Bulls are easily the best team ever. Forget matchups, no one stops that Jordan from taking over.

NBA Junkie
01-27-2008, 10:52 AM
A lot of NBA players retired ringless because of him.

And then there was Hakeem Olajuwon, whose Rockets won two titles because of his retirement.

Never would have happened had Michael played full time in both 1994 and 1995.

Cry Havoc
01-27-2008, 12:29 PM
And then there was Hakeem Olajuwon, whose Rockets won two titles because of his retirement.

Never would have happened had Michael played full time in both 1994 and 1995.

Conjecture. Those Rockets were pretty awesome. Hakeem was the most dominant, versatile big the NBA had seen in a long time during those runs.

You can't take a title away from a team because someone else called it quits.

If Jordan DOESNT retire, maybe he loses his competitive fire just a bit and the Bulls flame out early? Predicting what would have happened is hearsay.

stretch
01-27-2008, 12:34 PM
March 25, 1989.

Getting tired of being told he's just a scorer and Magic Johnson is a winner, Mike led the Bulls to a sweep of a Western Conference trip with 21 points, 12 rebounds and 12 assists. It is a period of 14 games in which he averaged 32.6 points, 10.3 rebounds and 11.9 assists and recorded 11 triple-doubles in the 14 games, twice also while scoring more than 40 points :wow
Yea, I believe that was a stretch of games where Phil experimented with playing him at PG.

Heath Ledger
01-27-2008, 12:35 PM
what do you mean he was forced to retire because of his gambling? if it was so bad he would have to play more to earn more money correct?

himat
01-27-2008, 07:09 PM
Its funny to think about the fact that after he won 3 titles in a row, he said to himself, "ok, I think I'll retire." He retires, gets bored, comes back and wins three more freakin titles in a row.

A lot of great NBA players retired ringless because of him.

Just to be more specific.

Armando
01-27-2008, 07:27 PM
People say the Bulls never faced anyone. Let me explain why. Jordan never allowed anyone in the 90s to be even close to their level. Utah, Phoenix, Portland were all good teams, they all won 60+ in those regular seasons and simply couldn't threaten the Bulls. They were that good, and the 96 Bulls are easily the best team ever. Forget matchups, no one stops that Jordan from taking over.

And the Payton and Kemp Sonics were no slouches either. Utah had Stockton and Malone. Phoenix had KJ and Barkley and the Lakers team in 91 was stacked.

ClingingMars
01-27-2008, 07:34 PM
Michael Jordan was the best basketball player ever.

Really simple, folks.

-Mars

baseline bum
01-27-2008, 07:39 PM
For me, Magic and Jordan share the # 1 spot.

You can't forget the performance Magic had as a rookie in game 6 vs Philly; okay, he didn't really play center (overhyped), but still, as a rook, and without Kareem, it's an amazing performance.

Also, Magic had to face the Cletics on a regular basis.

He won 5 titles

Apperead in 9 Finals :wow

He could have won 6 titles and threepeated if he didn't get injured vs Detroit in that 1st game in 1989.

I don't think they would have taken Detroit again. The Pistons had LA on the ropes twice in the 88 Finals, and their depth wasn't going to be denied again in 89. I've always thought the Bad Boys were a highly underrated team. Their frontcourt depth was unreal (Rodman, Aguirre, Laimbeer, Mahorn, Edwards, Sally), they had two HOF guards, and a Stephen Jackson-esque clutch shooter off the bench in Vinnie Johnson.

lefty
01-27-2008, 09:35 PM
Pistons were deep, no question.

However, the Lakers swept everybody in the West playoffs, they were possessed. The momentum and confidence could have been an advantage.

Anyway, we'll never know.

Purple & Gold
01-27-2008, 09:40 PM
I don't think they would have taken Detroit again. The Pistons had LA on the ropes twice in the 88 Finals, and their depth wasn't going to be denied again in 89. I've always thought the Bad Boys were a highly underrated team. Their frontcourt depth was unreal (Rodman, Aguirre, Laimbeer, Mahorn, Edwards, Sally), they had two HOF guards, and a Stephen Jackson-esque clutch shooter off the bench in Vinnie Johnson.

Magic and Byron were injured. If not it would have been a 3peat for the Lakeshow.

lefty
01-27-2008, 09:45 PM
Magic and Byron were injured. If not it would have been a 3peat for the Lakeshow.

As I said, we'll never know.

Thanks for the unbiased opinion

1Parker1
01-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Didn't Jordan average something like 27 ppg when he came back a 3rd time with the Wizards at the age of 40 or whatever he was???

Purple & Gold
01-27-2008, 09:47 PM
As I said, we'll never know.

Thanks for the unbiased opinion

Your welcome. :toast

Ohhh I didn't see you covered the injury. Props to you.

lefty
01-27-2008, 09:57 PM
Your welcome. :toast

Ohhh I didn't see you covered the injury. Props to you.

baseline bum
01-28-2008, 12:40 AM

And Isiah Thomas was injured in 88 and it still came down to a final possession.

JamStone
01-28-2008, 02:29 AM

Laimbeer didn't foul Kareem in 1988. If called correctly, the Pistons would have three-peated.

whottt
01-28-2008, 05:03 AM
Magic Johnson is so under-rated it's sickening.

He was better than Jordan.

1. How many star players have won an NBA title with more than one head coach?

It's a short list.

2. How many star players have won an NBA title after undergoing a headcoaching change during the season?

Also a short list.

3. How many star rookies have done that?

Even shorter list.

4. How many star players have won an NBA title with a rookie head coach?

Getting shorter all the time.

5. As a rookie themselves?

And shorter...

6. How many star players have won an NBA title with two rookie head coaches?

How many have done all 6?

Only 1.

You don't do that with mirrors...you do that with Magic.

Magic's career was for all intents and purpose over at the age of 31 when he was diagnosed with HIV...Jordan won 3 titles after that age. Magic had 5...

endrity
01-28-2008, 06:50 AM
How many people ever came close to stopping Jordan? ZERO

You can't compare Jordan's situation with Magic's. Magic stepped in a team that already had Kareem. The Bulls were terrible when MJ came in the league. They slowly built a team around him. Once Jordan got going, there was no one stopping him. Magic was not going to win anymore titles with the Lakers, aids or no aids.

And I agree that the Pistons are the ones who should look with regret to the 80s. They probably left not one, but two titles waiting for them. Experience does matter I guess.

lefty
01-28-2008, 09:25 AM

You can't compare Jordan's situation with Magic's. Magic stepped in a team that already had Kareem. The Bulls were terrible when MJ came in the league. They slowly built a team around him. Once Jordan got going, there was no one stopping him. Magic was not going to win anymore titles with the Lakers, aids or no aids.

And I agree that the Pistons are the ones who should look with regret to the 80s. They probably left not one, but two titles waiting for them. Experience does matter I guess.

Good point

whottt
01-29-2008, 05:26 AM

Yeah...Mike was so damn good his team went to the ECSF, without him...and took the eventual conference champion to 7 games, who themselves then went and took the eventual NBA champions to 7 games.....

To quote Michael Jordan when told he didn't make his teamates better, "then get me better teamates"...

Whereas Magic? He'd turn Kurt freaking Rambis into a scoring threat.

The Lakers didn't even come close to winning an NBA title the year before Magic got there...and they had at least one last place finish with Kareem on the team before Magic got there.

No...Magic Johnson directly made other players better more than any player in NBA history.

And per the initial post in this thread...he was no slouch at the triple double either. Couldn't score like Jordan? He could score pretty damn good when he wanted to do so...but he liked passing better.

It took Jordan 6 years to figure out what Magic knew the day he entered the NBA and lead his team to a championship with not one, but two rookie headcoaches, that sometimes you gotta give up the rock.

Magic >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jordan.

And saying Magic wouldn't have won anymore titles is pure speculation...he took his team to the finals the year before he was diagnosed with HIV...Vlade got a hell of a lot better.

baseline bum
01-29-2008, 12:23 PM
Jordan had dogshit for teammates early in his career. You're telling me Charles Oakley = Kareem Abdul Jabbar, John Paxson = Norm Nixon/Byron Scott, Orlando Woolridge = Jamaal Wilkes/James Worthy, Dave Corzine = Kurt Rambis/A.C. Green,...

Don't get me wrong. I watched Magic most of his prime, and at worst he's the third best player ever (him vs. Bird is a toss-us). Magic was the most versatile player I've ever seen: he was unquestionably the greatest ever leading the break, he could score on the block, he could shoot the three, he could put the ball on the floor and attack, he rebounded, and so on.

Jordan was the greatest ever at attacking the basket by the same margin that Magic was the best at leading the break. Jordan rebounded. Jordan had an unguardable jumper on the baseline. He played the passing lanes well. Moved his feet well on D. Was a sick shotblocker for his position. Was pretty solid playing the point. He never took games off, never got injured, and he was arguably the baddest man in NBA history when the shot clock was off at the end of a game (although Bird would have something to say about that too). He was unquestionably the greatest scorer in NBA history (don't tell me that Wilt turning around and dropping in layups over 6'7" guys is more impressive).

Jordan never dropped a playoff series against a weaker team either. Showing up was never a question with the Bulls. In contrast, Magic and the Lakers got lazy a couple of times, and blew a series to a horrible Rockets team in 81, and to an average Rockets team in 86.

You can say the level of competition was better in Magic's era, and overall, for the league, you'd be right. All that competition outside LA was in the east though. You can't really compare the Gervin/Gilmore Spurs to the Sixers, the Walter Davis / Alvan Adams Suns to the Pistons, the Olajuwon /? or Malone/Murphy Rockets to the Celtics, and so on. LA basically had a free pass to the Finals every year, while their EC opponent had at least one major battle with an all-time great team every year.

hater
01-29-2008, 02:56 PM
yeah the magic had real talent in the lakers teams. Jordan had fucking Will Perdue, Perdue would get his ass kicked by Elson in one on one

stretch
01-29-2008, 03:12 PM
Yeah...Mike was so damn good his team went to the ECSF, without him...and took the eventual conference champion to 7 games, who themselves then went and took the eventual NBA champions to 7 games.....

The second round isn't very far at all. Hell the Sonics took yall to 6 games a couple years ago... but they were a total shit team compared to the Spurs, and everyone knows it. They just had some breaks go their way. The Bulls were very fortunate to have gotten as far as they did.

To quote Michael Jordan when told he didn't make his teamates better, "then get me better teamates"...

Whereas Magic? He'd turn Kurt freaking Rambis into a scoring threat.

Much like Jordan turned John Paxson and Steve Kerr to "Finals Heroes" for hitting big/game winning shots after drawing triple teams just to get them open for those shots.

The Lakers didn't even come close to winning an NBA title the year before Magic got there...and they had at least one last place finish with Kareem on the team before Magic got there.

Wrong. They had a last place finish the year BEFORE Kareem came. In his second year there, they lost in the WCF to Portland, who were the eventual NBA champions.

No...Magic Johnson directly made other players better more than any player in NBA history.

Not going to argue that too much, but Jordan was pretty good at making crappy players look good as well. Hell, he basically earned John Paxson a job as a GM, and Will Perdue a job as an analyst.

And per the initial post in this thread...he was no slouch at the triple double either. Couldn't score like Jordan? He could score pretty damn good when he wanted to do so...but he liked passing better.

Not questioning that he liked to pass better... but he never averaged more than 22 ppg. He had scoring ability... but not on the level of Jordan's, who averaged as much as 37 ppg. Anyone who argues that is simply retarded.

It took Jordan 6 years to figure out what Magic knew the day he entered the NBA and lead his team to a championship with not one, but two rookie headcoaches, that sometimes you gotta give up the rock.

It was also probably nice have Kareem (who was a seasoned veteran that had championship experience and is widely considered the best C ever) to throw passes to, as opposed to a young forward who fakes migranes because he can't handle playoff pressure.

And saying Magic wouldn't have won anymore titles is pure speculation...he took his team to the finals the year before he was diagnosed with HIV...Vlade got a hell of a lot better.

Maybe if he was more focused on winning titles like Jordan, as opposed to having three-ways, then he would have never had to get diagnosed with HIV, would he? So in essence, we could say that his selfish desires, potentially cost his team future championships... of course, that would be pure speculation though...

lefty
01-29-2008, 03:26 PM
Jordan had dogshit for teammates early in his career. You're telling me Charles Oakley = Kareem Abdul Jabbar, John Paxson = Norm Nixon/Byron Scott, Orlando Woolridge = Jamaal Wilkes/James Worthy, Dave Corzine = Kurt Rambis/A.C. Green,...

Don't get me wrong. I watched Magic most of his prime, and at worst he's the third best player ever (him vs. Bird is a toss-us). Magic was the most versatile player I've ever seen: he was unquestionably the greatest ever leading the break, he could score on the block, he could shoot the three, he could put the ball on the floor and attack, he rebounded, and so on.

Jordan was the greatest ever at attacking the basket by the same margin that Magic was the best at leading the break. Jordan rebounded. Jordan had an unguardable jumper on the baseline. He played the passing lanes well. Moved his feet well on D. Was a sick shotblocker for his position. Was pretty solid playing the point. He never took games off, never got injured, and he was arguably the baddest man in NBA history when the shot clock was off at the end of a game (although Bird would have something to say about that too). He was unquestionably the greatest scorer in NBA history (don't tell me that Wilt turning around and dropping in layups over 6'7" guys is more impressive).

Jordan never dropped a playoff series against a weaker team either. Showing up was never a question with the Bulls. In contrast, Magic and the Lakers got lazy a couple of times, and blew a series to a horrible Rockets team in 81, and to an average Rockets team in 86.

You can say the level of competition was better in Magic's era, and overall, for the league, you'd be right. All that competition outside LA was in the east though. You can't really compare the Gervin/Gilmore Spurs to the Sixers, the Walter Davis / Alvan Adams Suns to the Pistons, the Olajuwon /? or Malone/Murphy Rockets to the Celtics, and so on. LA basically had a free pass to the Finals every year, while their EC opponent had at least one major battle with an all-time great team every year.

He missed 64 games during the 1985-1986 season

stretch
01-29-2008, 03:28 PM
He missed 64 games during the 1985-1986 season
Well, that was about the only significant injury he ever dealt with. Broken ankle, right? And he still came back and got his team to the playoffs.

lefty
01-29-2008, 03:33 PM
Well, that was about the only significant injury he ever dealt with. Broken ankle, right? And he still came back and got his team to the playoffs.

Yeah, he came back strong.

Jordan was the the most competitive player I've ever seen

stretch
01-29-2008, 03:35 PM
Jordan was the the most competitive player I've ever seen

I agree.