PDA

View Full Version : So on Thursday the All Star reserves are picked...

MmP
01-26-2008, 12:16 PM
Do you think Manu and Tony are in?

I think it all depends on how they play these 3 games left before the coach selection.

bdictjames
01-26-2008, 12:48 PM
No chance. Maybe Manu, but definitely not Tony.

ClingingMars
01-26-2008, 12:54 PM
manu SHOULD get in

-Mars

MaNuMaNiAc
01-26-2008, 12:55 PM
Realistically speaking, both have little to no chance. Injuries have made sure of that. Hopefully though, at least one can make it.

da_suns_fan
01-26-2008, 01:03 PM
Manu, maybe. He was an MVP contender at the start of the season but has really tailed off.

Parker? No way.

MrChug
01-26-2008, 01:17 PM
In the West? With Baron, Nash, Paul, and Brandon Roy (MVP Candidate)?!?!

VERY much a long shot for Manu (Tony, no chance). But crazier things have happened. An injury could happen to any of the above, Manu could go off for a great streak, etc.

I think Manu deserves it as much as anyone but I don't have a real vote :(

T Park
01-26-2008, 01:30 PM
Neither will nor should they.

TMTTRIO
01-26-2008, 01:35 PM
there's too much talent in the west plus both of them have been bothered lately recently with injuries. I would say if the Spurs were at the top of the Western Conference maybe at least one of them but with the Spurs struggling recently I would say no. It's kind of sad especially since Manu had one of the best starts of his career and was playing awesome until he injured that finger. Even Tony had a good start. Oh well it's not a big deal. In fact with Tony and Manu playing all year long and still bothered with injuries I'd rather have them rest up that weekend.

SAGambler
01-26-2008, 01:38 PM
I don't really want to see either of them play. But I would rather see Manu go than Tony.

Someone said "Manu SHOULD get in". Yeah, and Bruce SHOULD have been DPOY the last couple of seasons.

However, I know all the coaches look at Manu as "a special type player", so that could give him a shot.

Just hope that none of our guys that go get hurt in such a meaningless game.

exstatic
01-26-2008, 01:42 PM
Since coaches are picking? Manu makes it, but not Tony. Manu is a coaches dream, a player that leaves it all on the floor. It's a message to send to the talented young players: bust your ass, and you could make an ASG or two.

TMTTRIO
01-26-2008, 01:51 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22844291/

With starters chosen, West coaches have tough job trying to pick reserves at guard
NBCSports.com Scoreboard

By BRIAN MAHONEY
Associated Press Sports
updated 12:14 p.m. CT, Fri., Jan. 25, 2008

Allen Iverson's selection as a starter helped, but Western Conference coaches still have plenty of work to do before Tuesday afternoon.

That's when their votes for All-Star reserves are due back in the league office. That doesn't give them much time to sort through a list of guards that includes Steve Nash, Chris Paul, Baron Davis, Brandon Roy, Tony Parker, Deron Williams and Manu Ginobili.

Iverson would have been on that list, too, but he rallied to pass Tracy McGrady and earn a starting spot for the Feb. 17 game in New Orleans.

"It's always difficult to pick because there's so many guys that are doing a good job,'' Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "Sometimes you go by numbers, sometimes you worry, who's on the good teams and who should be on there because they're on a good team and his numbers aren't very different from (another player's) and who's had the most impact. So I think all the coaches take it very seriously and try to pick the most deserving guys, but it's not easy, without a doubt.''

It won't be as tough for Byron Scott. The New Orleans coach said Nash and Paul are the obvious choices, though he can't vote for Paul because the point guard plays on his team.

But he will remind other coaches that they should.

"I've got to,'' Scott said. "First of all, I think I'm just stating the obvious when I call a coach or send him a note about how Chris is playing and why deserves to be on that All-Star team.

"You've got to look at their record, look at their performance and then make your choice,'' Scott added earlier this month. "Look at our team. We're probably 11 games better this year right now than we were at this point last year. I think he's the only point guard in the (West) averaging a double-double besides Steve Nash. So he has some numbers that definitely warrant him being on the All-Star team.''

So do plenty of other West guards, but coaches can only choose four: two as guards and two wild-card picks.

Davis and Williams have the best numbers among the remaining choices. Roy has been the best player on a Portland team that is among the league's biggest surprises. Parker or Ginobili would give the defending champion Spurs a second player alongside starting forward Tim Duncan.

But Popovich won't lobby for either player. And it sounds as if Scott shouldn't bother pestering him about Paul.

"I've never campaigned for anybody. ... I just always felt it was - whenever I got sheets of paper or little you know begging and all that kind of thing to pick people, it usually makes me go the other way,'' Popovich said. "I just think everybody's grown and everybody has a brain and everybody picks who they think is the best without politicking for it and sending everybody cookies and cake and candies and all that.''

BonnerDynasty
01-26-2008, 02:00 PM
Manu just straight up impacts a game (ON BOTH SIDES) like no other. I'll take him over so called "all-stars" any day.

itzsoweezee
01-26-2008, 02:04 PM
manu's definitely in. tony might get in if there are enough injuries.

TMTTRIO
01-26-2008, 02:21 PM
I have to admit it would be cool to see Manu do those under the leg passes he's been successfully making the last few games :lol.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-26-2008, 03:38 PM
Manu deserves it...a few days rest would probably be better for the team though.

endrity
01-26-2008, 04:15 PM
Well it's not that easy to say he should
the second five is almost a shoe in at this point
Amare, Booz, Dirk, Nash, Paul
So then you have Marion, Howard, D.Williams, Baron, Roy, Manu for the last two spots without taking in consideration that someone might put a legit center like Kaman or Camby as the second center and then Amare as another forward.
Marion has kinda sucked this year, so he's not making it. Howard's numbers are Ok, but people feel like the Mavs have underachieved so he might not make it. I think Baron deserves it, he has resurrected himself and his franchise. Utah has not had a great year, so Booz is more than enough for them. So at this point it's between Roy and Gino. Does he really deserve it over Roy????

Herschel Walker
01-26-2008, 04:21 PM
I guess Pop's new IRoy went straight in the trash.

Parker going would be a travesty. Manu shouldn't get picked either. I halfway think Duncan's was mostly rep. At thus stage of Spurs ball the big three shouldn't be logging the minutes necessary.

td4mvp21
01-26-2008, 04:33 PM
I hope neither of them make it, it'd be nice if they got the rest.

baseline bum
01-26-2008, 05:08 PM
My picks:

WEST
C Amare Stoudemire
F Carlos Boozer
F Josh Howard
F Dirk Nowitzki
G Chris Paul
G Steve Nash
G Baron Davis

EAST:
C Chris Bosh
F Paul Pierce
F Caron Butler
F Antawn Jamison
F Hedo Turkoglu
G Chauncey Billups
G Richard Hamilton

endrity
01-26-2008, 05:27 PM
My picks:

WEST
C Amare Stoudemire
F Carlos Boozer
F Josh Howard
F Dirk Nowitzki
G Chris Paul
G Steve Nash
G Baron Davis

EAST:
C Chris Bosh
F Paul Pierce
F Caron Butler
F Antawn Jamison
F Hedo Turkoglu
G Chauncey Billups
G Richard Hamilton

I agree, I think Howard is better than Roy in the West. In the east I might put Joe Johnson and Calderon over Billups/Turkoglu. But Chauncey gets in because of rep anyway.

Bruno
01-26-2008, 05:34 PM
Neither of them deserve to be an all star this year.
If one of them is selected, it won't be fair because it will mean that, at least one player, who deserved more to be selected, has been snubbed

greens
01-26-2008, 05:46 PM
Neither of them deserve to be an all star this year.
If one of them is selected, it won't be fair because it will mean that, at least one player, who deserved more to be selected, has been snubbed

The thing is that Manu is playing a lot less minutes than those players mentioned...he comes off the bench. He averages a little more than 19 points per game...to me, that's deserving of a spot. All the other guys are starters, some of them even average more than 36 minutes...

Let's say that the coaches pick Chris Paul and Steve Nash for the two guard spots, that leaves two wild card choices...If two point guards are already chosen, why would the coaches choose another two point guards like Baron Davis, Deron Williams, etc...However, Manu is a shooting guard, Brandon Roy is a guard as well...so to me it looks like Manu can be chosen as one of the wild cards. If so, he defintely deserves it...I don't see why he wouldn't deserve it?

Also I read that the coaches choices have to be turned into the league by Tuesday afternoon. So that leaves basically two games...today's game and Monday's game...

Bruno
01-26-2008, 05:53 PM
The thing is that Manu is playing a lot less minutes than those players mentioned...he comes off the bench. He averages a little more than 19 points per game...to me, that's deserving of a spot. All the other guys are starters, some of them even average more than 36 minutes...

It's not argument. If Manu doesn't play 36 mpg, it's because his body isn't able to do that. Not being able to play heavy minutes isn't a quality.

greens
01-26-2008, 05:57 PM
It's not argument. If Manu doesn't play 36 mpg, it's because his body isn't able to do that. Not being able to play heavy minutes isn't a quality.

It's also about the quality of production...whenever Manu plays, he has high efficiency...Also, he takes less shots than other players in the running...He's the highest "sixth man" in scoring thus far, way ahead of Jason Terry and other guys...What I'm saying is that he stands out...

At the beginning of this season, he was the leading scorer...and he continues to play really good basketball, regardless of the finger splint thingy...Plus, when he was chosen in 2005, he averaged less points and was a starter...

MaNuMaNiAc
01-26-2008, 06:01 PM
It's not argument. If Manu doesn't play 36 mpg, it's because his body isn't able to do that. Not being able to play heavy minutes isn't a quality.but being able to make with them as much as Manu does is. Either way, since when is the All Star game about fairness? I agree its a long shot, but I hope Manu makes it.

Bruno
01-26-2008, 06:10 PM
It's also about the quality of production...whenever Manu plays, he has high efficiency...Also, he takes less shots than other players in the running...He's the highest "sixth man" in scoring thus far, way ahead of Jason Terry and other guys...What I'm saying is that he stands out...

Manu plays well this year but it's not enough to be an all star. Nash, Paul, Davis and Roy deserves more to be an allstar this year than Manu or Parker. That's all I'm saying.

At the beginning of this season, he was the leading scorer...and he continues to play really good basketball, regardless of the finger splint thingy...Plus, when he was chosen in 2005, he averaged less points and was a starter...

Parker average more points and assists than in 06 or 07 when he was an allstar but he doesn't deserve to be an allstar. The level of WCF guards is just way higher than years before.

Either way, since when is the All Star game about fairness?

Being a starter is about popularity but being a bench player is about fairness.

greens
01-26-2008, 06:22 PM
If Manu is chosen, I still think it's very fair. He has had many games thus far with more than 30 pts in less minutes than pretty much anyone else...not to mention back to back 37pts...

But yeah, it's still a very long shot, pretty unlikely. Nash, Paul, Davis, and Ray all very good and have been playing excellent basketball. But honestly, I think it would be nice for the coaches to reward a sixth man/bench player...Has there ever been a sixth man chosen to play in the All Stars? Besides I keep hearing that statistically there has never been such a productive "bench" player like Manu...

baseline bum
01-27-2008, 03:11 PM
I agree, I think Howard is better than Roy in the West. In the east I might put Joe Johnson and Calderon over Billups/Turkoglu. But Chauncey gets in because of rep anyway.

Billups is having a monster year (as is Hamilton), and has made Detroit back into a serious title contender. Turkoglu is having a great year on a good team, while Joe Johnson and the Hawks have been pretty disappointing so far.

bigfundamental21
01-27-2008, 09:11 PM
I hope neither of them make it, it'd be nice if they got the rest.
I'm in total agreement. Both guys have been banged up and we need them both healthy and rested for the playoff push. I doubt that either of them will make the team, anyway. The West has too many good guards. Most likely, Nash, Paul, McGrady, or Roy will take the spots.

ducks
01-27-2008, 11:20 PM
I hope both make it but both say they are injured and do not play

ducks
01-27-2008, 11:21 PM
hedo will make it