PDA

View Full Version : Udrih ballin, is he the best true guard on the team?

manustarting2gd
01-04-2005, 12:40 AM
Dude is hitting everything and his vision is ridiculous! No wonder he got Rookie of the Month! Is he the best pg on the team?

MannyIsGod
01-04-2005, 12:57 AM
No.

MannyIsGod
01-04-2005, 01:04 AM
because Defense factors into nothing correct?

manustarting2gd
01-04-2005, 01:44 AM
Im talking ball handling , decision making, ball movement and controlling game tempo and basically the unsaid actions of a PG. On defense, its well known that Beno has yet to adjust. He is only a rookie. Yes, I'm merely speaking offensively, is he the best point guard on the team at this moment.

SMLT
01-04-2005, 03:17 AM
Hi,

Probably not the best PG right now but defenitely the second :spin

Give him time and give TP a break by the way...

PM5K
01-04-2005, 04:54 AM
I think he's the only true point guard on the team....

Dario
01-04-2005, 05:33 AM
There were 5-6 threads like this one, you can't compare beno and tony bacause of their different style of play, grades are nice, but doesn't always show how they made the team perform while on court. Everybody provides something and imo they are biggest threat when they are both playing side to side. But that is pops decision.

angel_luv
01-04-2005, 08:39 AM
Tony's advantage is that he knows his team mates well and has a confidence that comes with experience.

Beno is only a baby in the league and yet already has incredibly solid skills. His best days are ahead.

Any team would be lucky to have either of our guys. We're so blessed to have them both.

You have to give Pop credit. He and his staff are awesome when it comes to drafting new talent. They've chosen well way too many times for it to just be luck.

Jimcs50
01-04-2005, 09:04 AM
Yes

Solid D
01-04-2005, 09:05 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/beno_rom_050103.jpg

I think Beno has more true traditional PG skills than a lot of PGs in the NBA. Tony is more of a 2 guard in his tendencies, but he is still a top level NBA PG. Tony could be a starter on virtually every team with the exception of maybe NJ, PHX, MIA, NY.

I would like to see how Beno breaks down zone defenses a little more. He'll get his chances. I would also like to see how Beno handles a really tough full court press. Parker does well against zones, but only when he's aggressive in getting into the seams in the lane. Parker is a one-man fast break and when teams try to trap him, he is like trying to catch a salamander with soapy hands.

Jimcs50
01-04-2005, 09:19 AM
TP is not a good enough shooter to be a 2 guard and is also too short. He is a PG without great passing skills...that is not good. Speed is his only saving grace.

ducks
01-04-2005, 09:25 AM
yeah he is only shooting 52-55% before last game for about 10-15 games

Jimcs50
01-04-2005, 09:37 AM
yeah he is only shooting 52-55% before last game for about 10-15 games

I really think you are a little retarded.:)

I said shooter. He is not a good shooter, he can make layups with his speed, but he is not a good shooter. He is streaky sometimes, but overall, I cringe when he takes a 3 point shot, and most would agree.

Solid D
01-04-2005, 10:54 AM
Tony is really more of a scorer than a "shooter". He's not a prototypical PG or SG, but he's a guard and a really great one. He's also become an excellent floor general and at a very young age.

A quote from one of the best PGs to play the game...

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam030609/nba_njsa3-ap.html

"I probably wasn't as good as Tony," said Kidd, who was a rookie with the Dallas Mavericks in 1994-95 when he was 21. "My game was passing and getting the ball to Jimmy (Jackson) and Jamal (Mashburn). I didn't have to score.

"Tony can do scoring and find the open guy, and he runs the team. They would not have won 60-something games if he wasn't as talented as he is."

Several times this season, Pop has run Tony and Udrih together in the backcourt. Pop can do that if he has a good defender at the 3 on offense, for protection defensively, especially against smaller backcourts. He played them as just good, old-fashioned basketball Guards - able to enter the offense, able to move without the ball and catch and shoot, able to run screen/rolls, able to break down defenses in their own unique ways. Sure, they still have to play the "1" or the "2" as offensive plays go, but they are interchangeable. I expect to see more of that, as long as they maintain their health.

ALVAREZ6
01-04-2005, 03:30 PM
Wait until Udrih is in his prime...

good news for the Spurs

Supergirl
01-04-2005, 03:35 PM
I wonder how good it is for the SPurs if Udrih breaks out early, because then he'll get attention from other teams and we won't be able to keep him...

We've got him for 3 years, right? THe standard rookie contract?

Jimcs50
01-04-2005, 03:39 PM
I think after next year, the Spurs will have a year to sign him before anyone else can talk to him.

ZStomp
01-04-2005, 03:44 PM
Who cares?

They both play for the Spurs. :lol :roll

Solid D
01-04-2005, 03:51 PM
Beno is a Spur, unless traded or waived, for 3 years minimum. The 4th (Spurs option) and 5th yrs. are option years.
Salary from HoopsHype:
..............2004-05..2005-06 2006-07..2007-08...2008-09
Beno Udrih $841,680 $904,800 $967,920 $1,747,095 $2,603,172

ShoogarBear
01-04-2005, 04:07 PM
Tony is more of a scorer, but is capable of averaging 20 ppg for several games in a row.

Beno is a better pure shooter and better pure point, but I bet he turns out not to have enough strength or speed to be a big-time scorer for any stretch.

I would really like to see lots more minutes of them together, but it's probably against Pop's constitution.

Dario
01-04-2005, 04:30 PM
Well i know he can provide down the stretch, he did so in his former club olimpija and he did it big style in juniors european championship, where he made a fool out of tony parker and won slovenia gold medal. But his playing style changed dramaticly while with spurs, before he made most of his shots with layup drives and 3's. I guess pop wants more assists from him or big mans are a lot bigger in US :) Also he was always first in oposing half looking for fast breaks, now he stays and looks for ball.
Same with rasho, hope u guys didn't fu..ed him up, so he can provide for our national team :)

HIP HOOPERS
01-04-2005, 05:43 PM
All thrue, except that he didn't win Slovenia any gold medal, cos' he was injured during the EC. He "made a fool" out of Parker during qualifications... And he was a passer before, in fact when he was younger he passed EVERY SINGLE BALL, had tons of assists per game and no points, untill his father told him to star making shots 'cos people are now only interested in points...

Solid D
01-04-2005, 05:47 PM
Good insights Dario and Hip Hoopers.

manustarting2gd
01-05-2005, 05:04 AM
Like the new thread states,Fourth game w/o a TO. Dude is cold with the rock. Best PG and only PG on the team. Period.

whottt
01-05-2005, 06:22 AM
Beno is a good rookie...

He is playing above average right now but he's also kind of sneaking up on the NBA...they aren't expecting him to be this good(and who was?) and he is burning them for it. Teams are expecting him to be a weak link and he is most definitely showing that he isn't one.

Beno has proven that he belongs in the NBA...and I love his shot. I really love his shot.

But Parker remains under-rated by Spur fans...both as a passer and as an over-all PG.

I don't doubt it when people say Beno worked Tony in a game...

But I have seen a lot of guys work Tony over...like Mike Bibby on Sunday...at the same time I have seen Parker hang 19 in a quarter on Mike Bibby..

Parker's game is french...moody, but IMO when Parker is on he is one of the most unstoppable guards in the NBA...Solid D posted a quote by Jason Kidd...there's also a quote by Jason Kidd admitting he had to be pulled off of Parker in the NBA finals because he couldn't guard him...That's the PG considered by many to be the best defensive PG in the NBA saying he couldn't keep up with Parker.

And Magic Johnson recently said Parker is the second best penetrate and dish PG in the NBA behind only Nash. That's Magic Johnson saying that...

So I am happy with Beno but I'm not ready to say he is better than Parker...a lot of people said Speedy was better than Parker...they were wrong.

Beno has a lot of room to grow as Alvarez pointed out...but so does Parker, Beno is only like a month younger...and Dwayne Wade is older than both of them.

What I know so far, Beno will have an NBA career and I don't think he'll be a back up PG when he finally becomes a FA....Some team is going to try and make him a starter, so enjoy having Parker and Beno while it lasts, IMO we won't have both of them in 5 years.

Dario
01-05-2005, 09:34 AM
Ye he did earn slovenia gold medal, "IN JUNIOR EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIP", with lakovič, zupan, bečirovič etc... Game vs Parker was in half final with france, udrih scored 22pts and left parker in 10 or something. In final with israel he got "JUNIOR EC" gold medal. You slovenian and dont know that ffs

waly.mg
01-05-2005, 09:51 AM
When Tony removes the hoop from its Head and begins to move the ball is really a very good Point Guard but the Problem is that when Tony Scores forgets that he is The PG and he become a SG

HIP HOOPERS
01-05-2005, 10:09 AM
Lakovic-silver in Italy 98 (never gold)
Zupan-where did you find him?!? He got gold last year in deaf EC in Lj
Becirovic-gold in Ohrid 2000
I think you need to check some things out, and please do that!!!
Beno, scored over 30 (32 or 34) in Parker's face,but i think that was in the qualifications! The game you are refering to was in Zadar, where Beno was 7th with Slovenia and France was Ec. Beno was listening to the final with Israel on the radio on the Croation coast 'cos he was unable to be there... ASK HIM if you don't belive me!
Ergo, Beno has not won the gold junior medal ever! He has been a part of all Slovenian junior teams, but haven't won any medal! Just unlucky!
And you call yourself Slovenian and you don't know that..... c.c.c.c. :)

Jimcs50
01-05-2005, 10:21 AM
Beno is going to be the best PG is Spurs history if we trade TP in 1-2 yrs. Everytime I see him play, he reminds me of a Stockton/KJ combo. He makes everyone better with his court savy and his court vision. He moves without the ball like a crafty veteran(Reggie) and goes backdoor better than most players in league history(Stockton, KJ) He knows when to pass and when to shoot and almost never makes poor passes. He froze the defense on breaks twice on fastbreaks when all thought he was going to pass to TD, but he knew he did not have a good percentage opportunity to hit TD so he went in for the for sure 2 pts. He has range on his 3 pt shot like Stockton did as well.

Given some more experience and PT, he will be too damn good to sit on the bench 30-32 mins a game, thus the Spurs will have to deal TP or they will be wasting a great opportunity.

Autumnleaf
01-05-2005, 10:32 AM
Beno is going to be the best PG is Spurs history if we trade TP in 1-2 yrs. Everytime I see him play, he reminds me of a Stockton/KJ combo. He makes everyone better with his court savy and his court vision. He moves without the ball like a crafty veteran(Reggie) and goes backdoor better than most players in league history(Stockton, KJ) He knows when to pass and when to shoot and almost never makes poor passes.
Given some more experience and PT, he will be too damn good to sit on the bench 30-32 mins a game, thus the Spurs will have to deal TP or they will be wasting a great opportunity.

Agree that Beno will be a good PG in NBA. but wouldn't it be better not to announce him being the best PG in Spurs history untill he really plays more mins with some really good defensive teams. or untill he plays some playoff games?
:smokin

Solid D
01-05-2005, 10:38 AM
Jim, didn't you just post that in the "Beno's 4th Game in a Row w/out TO" thread? Now that's conviction in what you believe!

Solid D
01-05-2005, 10:42 AM
Jim, didn't you just post that in the "Beno's 4th Game in a Row w/out TO" thread? Now that's conviction in what you believe!

^ Not that there's anything wrong with that. :hat

ducks
01-05-2005, 10:49 AM
lets see what beno does in the playoffs before we start trading tp

tp could slid over to the 2 alot and then they would be no reason to trade tp

spurs wanted to keep tp and jason kidd

kidd said no so they get their own jason kidd in beno

Jimcs50
01-05-2005, 11:01 AM
Solid D, I posted and then saw that I posted in the wrong thread..so I reposted....sorry. :)

BTW, I tend to use hyperbole sometimes. but I am still excited about this kid.

manustarting2gd
01-07-2005, 01:08 AM
Yeah boy boy,8pts, 3 boards and 3 assists; one of which with the TP/Beno lineup to TP in crunch time. Oh yeah, and NO TURNOVERS AGAIN!

Experiment2100
01-07-2005, 01:12 AM
It was nice to see Parker/Beno, but I still want to see a lineup with Parker/Beno/Barry

manustarting2gd
01-07-2005, 01:29 AM
Manu/Beno/Barry is deadlier..

milkyway21
01-07-2005, 04:12 AM
Dude is hitting everything and his vision is ridiculous! No wonder he got Rookie of the Month! Is he the best pg on the team?Too bad, it took Beno one day to know he got the Rookie of the Month award. He said he only knew after somebody sent him a text message. And he didn't check the internet that day.
BTW, Beno checking the internet? Maybe the Spurstalk forums??? :blah

HIP HOOPERS
01-07-2005, 05:21 AM
i've sent him a sms after i saw it HERE on this forum... so i guess it's allmost the same! :)

Kori Ellis
01-07-2005, 05:26 AM
HipHoopers, when are you and the Slovenian reporters going to be in San Antonio?

Would you guys have any interest on being on the radio while you are here?

HIP HOOPERS
01-07-2005, 05:34 AM
Me and my friend are coming late February/early March and are staying there 3 weeks. I'm not sure for the reporters yet, 'cos i've just spoken with one yesterday and he told me that they are maybe going to the playoffs instead... so, i'll let you know about them. On the radio? haha? I don't know.....why not?!? :)

Kori Ellis
01-07-2005, 05:35 AM
Okay, I'm going to send you a private message about it.

Slo spurs fan
01-07-2005, 05:46 AM
Kori please put it online when it will be done!

Kori Ellis
01-07-2005, 05:52 AM
Of course.

SLOVENIAN 8
01-07-2005, 05:56 AM
Me and my friend are coming late February/early March and are staying there 3 weeks. I'm not sure for the reporters yet, 'cos i've just spoken with one yesterday and he told me that they are maybe going to the playoffs instead... so, i'll let you know about them. On the radio? haha? I don't know.....why not?!? :)

How much cost to stay there for 3 weeks and for plane tickets?

HIP HOOPERS
01-07-2005, 06:04 AM
Plane ticket 140.000 SIT (around 700$), but we're also going to the San Diego and Mexico for the last couples of days, so that will cost a bit more. We'll be staying with Beno (but i also hear that the motels aren't really expencive), and what you spend there....that depends on every individual...

SLOVENIAN 8
01-07-2005, 06:21 AM
Plane ticket 140.000 SIT (around 700$), but we're also going to the San Diego and Mexico for the last couples of days, so that will cost a bit more. We'll be staying with Beno (but i also hear that the motels aren't really expencive), and what you spend there....that depends on every individual...
Tnx. Interesting.

I must go there someday.

Slo spurs fan
01-07-2005, 06:44 AM
Hell yea! Me too! (someday, when my two children growup :lol )

For now I must be happy with my Benos Spurs jersey and Spurs coffe cup! :lol

Slomo
01-07-2005, 10:36 AM
Hell yea! Me too! (someday, when my two children growup :lol )

For now I must be happy with my Benos Spurs jersey and Spurs coffe cup! :lol
We went for a three week holiday to the States with our daughter being one and a half year old (Miami - Key West - Las Vegas - Los Angeles) I tell you age is not a problem if the kids are old enough to walk, it was our best holiday ever! We still laugh our asses off at the videos :lol

MannyIsGod
01-07-2005, 07:32 PM
Man, you slovienian dude's crack me up. Someone buy me a ticket there and I'll buy you one here :p

SequSpur
01-07-2005, 07:50 PM
What the hell is a SIT?

Great the invasion of the Slovakians.

SlovenianGuy
01-07-2005, 07:56 PM
What the hell is a SIT?

Great the invasion of the Slovakians.

I haven't noticed any "Slovakians" here. Can you name at least one?

SIT=slovenian tolar

SequSpur
01-07-2005, 08:01 PM
Slovakians, slovenians, notesticles, whatever, same thing,

manustarting2gd
01-07-2005, 08:15 PM
What direction did this thread go in?? ARGH!

SlovenianGuy
01-07-2005, 08:21 PM
http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/pg2/2002/0130/photo/brisk.jpg
http://www.dragqueen.ch/Gallery/08/10.JPG

WHATEVER

SequSpur
01-07-2005, 08:24 PM
Yep. A Slovenian ^

milkyway21
01-07-2005, 08:35 PM
Me and my friend are coming late February/early March and are staying there 3 weeks. I'm not sure for the reporters yet, 'cos i've just spoken with one yesterday and he told me that they are maybe going to the playoffs instead... so, i'll let you know about them. On the radio? haha? I don't know.....why not?!? :)Nice to know you actually have great communication w/ Beno, who said he still adjusting life in SA and there's Rasho who show him around and acted like a big brother to him(read an article about it somewhere). The way Beno is playing right now I think he might be invited to play in the Rookie-Sophomore game in the All-Star come Feb. No interest to watch him play LIVE? :wow

Zmaj
01-07-2005, 09:15 PM
Sequ's mom farted one day and he came out

desflood
01-07-2005, 10:44 PM
Beno's great and all, but does he remind anyone else of Johnboy Walton? That bugs me a bit... :)

manustarting2gd
01-07-2005, 11:46 PM
G'night Tony.. G'night Timmy.. G'night Manu, G'night Rasho...and they all reply together , ... "G'night Beno"

manustarting2gd
01-08-2005, 05:30 AM
Let's go Beno, lets keep this no TO streak rollin..

Dario
01-08-2005, 05:49 AM
Lakovic-silver in Italy 98 (never gold)
Zupan-where did you find him?!? He got gold last year in deaf EC in Lj
Becirovic-gold in Ohrid 2000
I think you need to check some things out, and please do that!!!
Beno, scored over 30 (32 or 34) in Parker's face,but i think that was in the qualifications! The game you are refering to was in Zadar, where Beno was 7th with Slovenia and France was Ec. Beno was listening to the final with Israel on the radio on the Croation coast 'cos he was unable to be there... ASK HIM if you don't belive me!
Ergo, Beno has not won the gold junior medal ever! He has been a part of all Slovenian junior teams, but haven't won any medal! Just unlucky!
And you call yourself Slovenian and you don't know that..... c.c.c.c. :)

I've been checking some pages lately to prove my point, i wrote nachbar and bečirovič won gold EC junior, well they did won it and i am preaty sure beno and zupan were in that team. Here is the link, in which you can read about slovenia, which won 2004 EC junior gold medal and if you read carefully, you will find this in the text "An interesting caveat is that today’s final is a repeat of the 2000 European Championship for U20 Men. On that occasion, it was Slovenia who won the title, but in a desperately close encounter."
Infact, i am not sure 100% about beno in all those games, so i cant say more, but i think he got 2 medals allready, that gold in 2000 and if i am correct he got a silver too.
http://www.fibaeurope.com/Default.asp?pageID={5F3AC2FF-D0F7-4ADD-A54E-00682326638F}&nfID=2154&startAt=12&coid={5B1A12FD-8390-4551-9000-49FCD10041C1}&articleMode=on

HIP HOOPERS
01-08-2005, 06:13 AM
Okay Dario, let's leave it your way... I KNOW FOR SURE that Beno didn't win a gold neither a silver... Nachbar & Becirovic did in Ohrid 2000 together won the gold, Zupan didn't. But if you still wanna belive that Beno was gold....be my guest. I wished he was, but...

SlovenianGuy
01-08-2005, 07:28 AM
Udrih didn't win gold medal.

link (http://www.fiba.com/pages/en/events/teamsclubs/tc_roster.asp?RoundID=2720&TeamNumber=2154&CompetitionCode=EMYM&Season=2000&lang=)

HIP HOOPERS
01-08-2005, 11:50 AM
Here you go.... Do you belive me now Dario?

spursfaninla
01-08-2005, 04:07 PM
Beno was a non-factor in todays game.

So much for him replacing parker.

Slo spurs fan
01-08-2005, 04:09 PM
Yea! In 11 min. you can really be a factor! :lol

Slo spurs fan
01-08-2005, 04:10 PM
Still W/O TOs!

spursfaninla
01-08-2005, 04:12 PM
Yea! In 11 min. you can really be a factor! :lol

He got 11 minutes because he was not being effective. His man was getting to the hoop, he wasn't hitting and he wasn't creating well for the offense.

Not knocking him in general, but ackowledging when he does have a bad game.

ALVAREZ6
http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/pg2/2002/0130/photo/brisk.jpg
http://www.dragqueen.ch/Gallery/08/10.JPG

WHATEVER

WTF..????

keep ur gay shit out of here dude.

ALVAREZ6
Sequ's mom farted one day and he came out
:lol :lol :lol

spursfaninla
01-08-2005, 04:16 PM
Thanks for subjecting me to that high-fashion picture again.

Thanks.

ALVAREZ6
01-08-2005, 04:16 PM
Thanks for subjecting me to that high-fashion picture again.

Thanks.

Anytime :lol

HIP HOOPERS
01-08-2005, 04:17 PM
Everybody can have a "bad game" once in a while, so can Beno! That's why there's 82 of them...!!! But the Spurs won so...everybody happy!!!

Drachen
01-08-2005, 04:52 PM
Mike Wilks is the THIRD best on this team!

Kori Ellis
01-08-2005, 06:23 PM
Beno had no turnovers in 13 minutes today.

The streak is alive!

boutons
01-08-2005, 06:25 PM
Rasho single-handedly hit the "Slovenian TO quota" today, with 4.

TP9
01-08-2005, 07:51 PM
i think parker is one of the best guard in the league, he only wants to make the team win and not to be a star. That's a real good player.
beno is too young, he's learning right now
pop is smart, he understands basket better than you and me his choice to make play tony is absolutely the good one
so be happy to have this team and stop criticizing one of the best player

Zmaj
01-08-2005, 09:14 PM
i think parker is one of the best guard in the league, he only wants to make the team win and not to be a star. That's a real good player.
beno is too young, he's learning right now
pop is smart, he understands basket better than you and me his choice to make play tony is absolutely the good one
so be happy to have this team and stop criticizing one of the best player
Beno and Tony are the same age btw :)

But if u meant experience-wise then I agree

spurster
01-08-2005, 09:20 PM
In the beginning of the season, I thought Beno as backup PG was going to be a short-lived experiment to give him some experience before Barry took that job over, but after Beno sucked a few games, he has shined. Props to the Spurs scouts. They've found another winner deep in the draft.

timvp
01-18-2007, 09:37 PM
Beno is going to be the best PG is Spurs history if we trade TP in 1-2 yrs. Everytime I see him play, he reminds me of a Stockton/KJ combo. He makes everyone better with his court savy and his court vision. He moves without the ball like a crafty veteran(Reggie) and goes backdoor better than most players in league history(Stockton, KJ) He knows when to pass and when to shoot and almost never makes poor passes. He froze the defense on breaks twice on fastbreaks when all thought he was going to pass to TD, but he knew he did not have a good percentage opportunity to hit TD so he went in for the for sure 2 pts. He has range on his 3 pt shot like Stockton did as well.

Bump.

And this was back when Jimcs50 actually had league pass.

:rollin

timvp
01-18-2007, 09:38 PM
lets see what beno does in the playoffs before we start trading tp

And people like to bash ducks, but he had the best take in the thread.

MannyIsGod
01-18-2007, 09:53 PM
I had to review my posts in the thread to make sure I didn't say anything stupid back when Beno was actually playing well.

Shoog and Solid D had some good points early in the thread as well.

timvp
01-18-2007, 09:59 PM
I would also like to see how Beno handles a really tough full court press.

That is why Solid D is Solid D.

MannyIsGod
01-18-2007, 10:01 PM
Is Beno the 2nd best PG on this team right now? I'd say no. I'd rather see Barry or Manu at the 1 more than Beno. Vaughn is probably no worse than Beno as well.

timvp
01-18-2007, 10:03 PM
Is Beno the 2nd best PG on this team right now? I'd say no. I'd rather see Barry or Manu at the 1 more than Beno. Vaughn is probably no worse than Beno as well.

Right now, Nick Van Exel vacationing in Cancun > Beno

BeerIsGood!
01-18-2007, 10:07 PM
That was one of the funniest things I've read in a while. "He reminds me of a Stockton / KJ combo" - :lmao

In all fairness... through January of '05 he never looked that good, but he never looked like he would be this worthless either.

BeerIsGood!
01-18-2007, 10:07 PM
That is why Solid D is Solid D.

No kidding. That was a good observation

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-18-2007, 10:16 PM
I thought Beno was going to be pretty good. Early on he gave all the indications he'd be a good point guard. I'm glad I missed this thread.

ducks
01-18-2007, 10:46 PM
Wait until Udrih is in his prime...

good news for the Spurs

what were saying

ducks
01-18-2007, 10:48 PM
And people like to bash ducks, but he had the best take in the thread.

thanks timvp

Amuseddaysleeper
01-18-2007, 11:48 PM
this thread is hillarious

pad300
01-18-2007, 11:51 PM
Right now, Nick Van Exel vacationing in Cancun > Beno

While I will say that people got way too high on Beno. I think that you are going much too far here. Nick was just putrid last year; PER 12.4, relative PER -4.9 (regular season 2005). 2005 playoffs, PER 5.8, relative PER -16.0. Current Beno (regular season 2006) PER 12.8, relative PER -3.8. He was better last year PER 17.3 relative per -2.0 (2005 reg season). 2005 Playoffs PER 9.5, relative PER +2.1. He really should have taken Nick's job. I think not being able to do so, despite playing much better really fucked with his confidence and his attitude...

timvp
01-19-2007, 12:00 AM
While I will say that people got way too high on Beno. I think that you are going much too far here. Nick was just putrid last year; PER 12.4, relative PER -4.9 (regular season 2005). 2005 playoffs, PER 5.8, relative PER -16.0. Current Beno (regular season 2006) PER 12.8, relative PER -3.8. He was better last year PER 17.3 relative per -2.0 (2005 reg season). 2005 Playoffs PER 9.5, relative PER +2.1. He really should have taken Nick's job. I think not being able to do so, despite playing much better really fucked with his confidence and his attitude...

Yeah, but the main reason he didn't get the job over NVE was he kept getting hurt when he had the opportunity to take over as the backup PG. And if he wasn't getting hurt, he was disappearing in big games.

Last year, it was a matter of having a bad point guard who had a history of hitting big shots or a bad point guard who had a history of dying in the playoffs. NVE was horrid against the Mavs but I don't know what Spurs fans have seen in the last two years that suggest that Beno would have done much better.

PER doesn't take into account not being able to dribble the ball up the court.

BeerIsGood!
01-19-2007, 12:00 AM
kidd said no so they get their own jason kidd in beno

I don't know if I'd be giving him all the props here... :lol

MannyIsGod
01-19-2007, 01:01 AM
This just shows how Spurs fans can really overvalue their player at times.

Everyone who wants James White should play should be forced to read this thread.

pad300
01-19-2007, 01:12 AM
Yeah, but the main reason he didn't get the job over NVE was he kept getting hurt when he had the opportunity to take over as the backup PG. And if he wasn't getting hurt, he was disappearing in big games.

Last year, it was a matter of having a bad point guard who had a history of hitting big shots or a bad point guard who had a history of dying in the playoffs. NVE was horrid against the Mavs but I don't know what Spurs fans have seen in the last two years that suggest that Beno would have done much better.

PER doesn't take into account not being able to dribble the ball up the court.

1) That series against the Mavs was tight enough that simply switching Beno for NVE for the 7 or so MPG that NVE played might well have won it for us. Beno was healthy and available for all the playoffs. He simply COULD NOT have played worse than NVE. Unless he's completely clueless, he KNOWS that. He understands that Pop was willing to throw a championship shot away because of his dislike for young players (Have we ever had a rookie/young player that Pop got along with?). I think this has caused him to mentally write off his time with the Spurs. My guess is that he figures to take the Spurs's money & go find someplace he actually enjoys playing at.
2) PER does so take into account TO's.

regio
01-19-2007, 01:31 AM

wow how things can change, people comparing beno to stockton when he was a rookie, now we cant wait to get rid of him :dizzy

Kibic
01-19-2007, 03:12 AM
wow how things can change, people comparing beno to stockton when he was a rookie, now we cant wait to get rid of him :dizzy
He can't wait to get rid of Spurs (Pop) too.
:wakeup

zeleni
01-19-2007, 03:17 AM
Man, that kind of a thread can really make you mad.

I hope it turns for the better.

Rynospursfan
01-19-2007, 03:18 AM
This just shows how Spurs fans can really overvalue their player at times.

Everyone who wants James White should play should be forced to read this thread.

:clap

joeyjfive
01-19-2007, 12:15 PM
I thought it was funny when they talked about the no turnover streak and then the guy says "Dudes cold with the rock" or something like that. Funny cuz nowadays he has a fall on his face streak, 86897 games and counting.

jag
06-25-2007, 05:11 PM
bump

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-25-2007, 05:24 PM
:lol

manustarting2gd
06-25-2007, 05:33 PM
I started this thread over two years ago , and all it was was a question..... Now of course things have changed since then.. Now everyone can look back at all they've done ... even me. damn was i wrong. FUCKIN BENO ... DUDE acts like he has 4 fingers on each hand now.. A few good moments dont outweigh the repeated failures of this player... is confidence an issue.. was it the loss of rasho???

Anyway. hind sight is 20/20 looking back at it now.. damn how things have changed... after that streak he went back to normal ol beno....the countless mid court tasmanian devil spins where he goes but the ball doesnt ... and the ball squirts out for a layup for the opposition. ... ROOKIE OF THE MONTH 2005.. BENO "WAS" on a good streak at the time... Just like every other player goes on streaks , oh well.. he's on his way out .. Wish him the best of luck...

THANKS FOR THE BUMP TIMVP..lol

Spurminator
06-25-2007, 05:39 PM
I started this thread over two years ago , and all it was was a question..... Now of course things have changed since then.. Now everyone can look back at all they've done ... even me. damn was i wrong. FUCKIN BENO ... DUDE acts like he has 4 fingers on each hand now.. A few good moments dont outweigh the repeated failures of this player... is confidence an issue.. was it the loss of rasho???

Anyway. hind sight is 20/20 looking back at it now.. damn how things have changed... after that streak he went back to normal ol beno....the countless mid court tasmanian devil spins where he goes but the ball doesnt ... and the ball squirts out for a layup for the opposition. ... ROOKIE OF THE MONTH 2005.. BENO "WAS" on a good streak at the time... Just like every other player goes on streaks , oh well.. he's on his way out .. Wish him the best of luck...

I expected some kind of apology to Parker in there.

timvp
06-25-2007, 05:41 PM

It wasn't me.

This time, at least. :cooldevil

jag
06-25-2007, 05:51 PM

I bumped it, but hey.....

and i too miss the days when beno was a helluva prospect.
:(

Spurminator
06-25-2007, 05:51 PM
Instead of bumping more old threads, I thought I'd just link a few here.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8786
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6875
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12071

Best quote:

All I can say is, thank God Beno had the chance to prove he can bail out Parker when the playoffs roll around.

:lmao

TDMVPDPOY
06-25-2007, 05:55 PM
BENO looks like he doesnt have the desire no more, what do you expect when his got 2 rings, team pickin up his option.....

his seems more happy to hand out fuckn towels than ballin

manustarting2gd
06-25-2007, 05:57 PM
I expected some kind of apology to Parker in there.

Thanks Spurm...

SORRY TONY .. YOU ARE THE MAN! FINALLY SHOWED UP IN THE FINALS!

jag
06-25-2007, 06:01 PM
Instead of bumping more old threads, I thought I'd just link a few here.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8786
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6875
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12071

Best quote:

:lmao

Thanks, but i didnt bump so we could make fun of threadstarter's comments, he called it like he saw it at the time. Beno did have a lot of potential, and still does, he's just not in the right system i believe.

manustarting2gd
06-25-2007, 06:05 PM
i'd like to see what Beno does once he's off the team this year... Does he get picked up by another team? Lost in space? Blowup in another system? or just combust period and vanish off the face of the Earth?

CubanMustGo
06-25-2007, 06:32 PM
Beno will go to Cleveland.

Spurs Dynasty 21
06-25-2007, 07:50 PM

for Veradjo

HJNTX
06-25-2007, 08:13 PM
:lol :lol Are you serious??

CubanMustGo
06-25-2007, 08:17 PM
:lol :lol Are you serious??

Beno can play in a situation where the pressure is on someone else. With Lebron as the other guard and one who can bring the ball up and one who is going to get doubleteams anyway it would be a good situation for him, and the Cavs need a backup PG.

No way we get anything out of the deal but a salary dump but at this point that would be enough.

smeagol
06-25-2007, 08:37 PM
Jim made a lot of good points about TP and Beno :lol :lol

bigfan
06-26-2007, 12:13 AM
Beansy is done in SA but will probably do well elsewhere.

SA210
06-26-2007, 12:19 AM
And shine.

Texas_Ranger
06-26-2007, 01:13 AM
Beno is going to be the best PG is Spurs history if we trade TP in 1-2 yrs.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Admidave50
06-26-2007, 03:45 AM
This thread is so fucking funny!

RADECK
06-26-2007, 04:03 AM
Beno decide not to play for national team in Spain. He (finaly) decided to work hard all this summer, going back to states early in August, to prepair for next season, because he wants to be well prepaired for next season, where he want to show that he's still right guy to play in NBA.