PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs need to become boring again...

whottt
01-26-2008, 10:49 PM
The need to go back to their halfcourt down tempo game...

Duncan, Duncan and more Duncan.

I was as happy as anyone at the Spurs offensive improvement over the past 4 years...but they've now swung too far away from what they truly are.

This may seem counter intuitive based on tonights game, but the bottom line is that all the running is hurting their defense...this does not mean the Spurs shouldn't push the ball anymore...but they don't have the youth to push the ball every night, and play championship caliber D.

And all the running...well they really aren't a very good half court team anymore...whereas for many years they were best half court team in the NBA.

On top of all that...I love Parker and Manu...but the ball needs to be going through Tim Duncan more...they aren't as good as Duncan. He's the all time great on this team...

Barring a major infusion of youth this season...the Spurs need to slow it down to half court playoff basketball and focus on D, and getting the ball to Tim Duncan more...the reason they have 4 titles.

ShoogarBear
01-26-2008, 10:50 PM
The relentless jacking up of 3s needs to cease as well.

dbreiden83080
01-26-2008, 10:54 PM
The ball needs to go through Duncan more but they can't go back to force feeding him the ball all the time because that will leave Tony and Manu less involved in the offense and they are at their best when all 3 are playing well and the D is there. The main problem as i see it is the D is inconsistant and the bench is pretty awful this year.

whottt
01-26-2008, 10:58 PM
Parker and Manu aren't as consistent as Duncan...they never need to be more involved than Duncan...it's becoming a problem...they want Duncan's touches...they need to be more productive with the ball.

Let me make this absolutely clear...

Duncan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Parker and Manu...combined.

timvp
01-26-2008, 10:58 PM
Going into playoff mode in January would be suicide. This old team would be dead come April. The Spurs shouldn't have to go into playoff mode to win regular season games.

Spurs Brazil
01-26-2008, 10:59 PM
The need to go back to their halfcourt down tempo game...

Duncan, Duncan and more Duncan.

I was as happy as anyone at the Spurs offensive improvement over the past 4 years...but they've now swung too far away from what they truly are.

This may seem counter intuitive based on tonights game, but the bottom line is that all the running is hurting their defense...this does not mean the Spurs shouldn't push the ball anymore...but they don't have the youth to push the ball every night, and play championship caliber D.

And all the running...well they really aren't a very good half court team anymore...whereas for many years they were best half court team in the NBA.

On top of all that...I love Parker and Manu...but the ball needs to be going through Tim Duncan more...they aren't as good as Duncan. He's the all time great on this team...

Barring a major infusion of youth this season...the Spurs need to slow it down to half court playoff basketball and focus on D, and getting the ball to Tim Duncan more...the reason they have 4 titles.

Agree.

We need to shoot those 3 from inside out.

TD needs to get the ball more. We need to slow the game.

dbreiden83080
01-26-2008, 11:03 PM
Parker and Manu aren't as consistent as Duncan...they never need to be more involved than Duncan...it's becoming a problem...they want Duncan's touches...they need to be more productive with the ball.

Let me make this absolutely clear...

Duncan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Parker and Manu...combined.

They don't need to be involved more than Duncan, Timmy is the best player by far on the team but they can't just force feed him the ball like they did years ago. Tony needs to get out and Run, Manu needs the ball in his hands to make plays. The Spurs are not a better team as they are presently set up to force Tim the Ball like they used to. You'll have Tim putting up 25 and 12 a game again and the Spurs out in the 2nd RD. They need to snap it into gear is all. It is too early to think this drastic.

whottt
01-26-2008, 11:05 PM
Going into playoff mode in January would be suicide. This old team would be dead come April.

Um...no it's the running that's wearing them down.

On top of that.....they literally suck in the half court now. They need to sharpen that up...it's been forgotten.

The Spurs shouldn't have to go into playoff mode to win regular season games.

They used to play halfcourt ball all season long...when they were old, and they continually overachieved back then...

This is a bad halfcourt team...it is the worst halfcourt team of the Duncan era.

They lost this game because they got their butts flat out kicked up around their ears in the halfcourt tonight.

Guess what? Teams afraid to play half court ball? They don't win championships...and right now, the Spurs should be afraid to play half court ball.

td4mvp21
01-26-2008, 11:05 PM
Agree.

We need to shoot those 3 from inside out.

TD needs to get the ball more. We need to slow the game.

That is the key I think. Our 3 point shooters are shooting a lot of contested threes. When you feed it into Duncan more, the more he scores, the more he's doubled, meaning the more you have wide open shooters. Also, Parker needs to get back to consistently penetrating and dishing, like he was in the first quarter. The Spurs are at their best when he is scoring and penetrating/dishing.

TDfan2007
01-26-2008, 11:06 PM
Tim definetely needs more touches since he rarely makes bad decisions with the ball. I know a lot of people here hate 4down but it works, my only problem with the idea is that we usually save abusing Tim's powers for the playoffs and I don't think any of us want him to burn out before then.

Hemotivo
01-26-2008, 11:07 PM
TP needs to shoot more
try to do what CP3 is doin'

timvp
01-26-2008, 11:09 PM
Um...no it's the running that's wearing them down. Um...no the running is where the Spurs get easy points.

They used to play halfcourt ball all season long...when they were old, and they continually overachieved back then...And Duncan had 100,000 less miles and the Spurs would get blasted in the playoffs.

This is a bad halfcourt team...it is the worst halfcourt team of the Duncan era. :dramaquee

The Spurs give up 60 points in the second half and you are blaming the offense? Are you a Spurs fan?

whottt
01-26-2008, 11:10 PM
Um...no the running is where the Spurs get easy points.

RIF

And Duncan had 100,000 less miles and the Spurs would get blasted in the playoffs.

They got blasted once...

The Spurs give up 60 points in the second half and you are blaming the offense? Are you a Spurs fan?

RIF

timvp
01-26-2008, 11:13 PM
The Spurs get blown out so you want to play like it's 2001 again?

Makes sense. Go back to what worked :lol

Hemotivo
01-26-2008, 11:16 PM
go back to the alamodome, where rimshot happened

whottt
01-26-2008, 11:18 PM
I'll try and explain it more clearly for the basketball knowledge challenged...

The running is what is hurting their defense. It is wearing them down. On top of that...they don't really know how to play great in the half court anymore, on either end.

As for the half court...it produced 2 titles when it was all we ran...with older teams. And I'd say the 04/05 team won because of it's halfcourt game as well.

whottt
01-26-2008, 11:20 PM
go back to the alamodome, where rimshot happened

Go to Houston...where Scola happens.

timvp
01-26-2008, 11:23 PM
I'll try and explain it more clearly for the basketball knowledge challenged...Let's see if you can understand yourself better this time . . .

The running is what is hurting their defense. It is wearing them down. When the Spurs are running correctly, they have one or two players on the break. It actually helps the defense because the bigs get to sit back and get an easy basket instead of having to grind each of every possession. Have you watched the last five years?

On top of that...they don't really know how to play great in the half court anymore, on either end. Welcome to the symptoms of the midseason swoon for the last nine years.

As for the half court...it produced 2 titles when it was all we ran...with older teams. And I'd say the 04/05 team won because of it's halfcourt game as well.Halfcourt execution won all four championships. Where have you been? But you don't break out the halfcourt grind in January.

td4mvp21
01-26-2008, 11:24 PM
I think Duncan should get more touches, but we need to still play some uptempo ball. I think the main problem is this team gets away from its strength-points in the paint. Notice we were neck and neck with the hottest team in the league in the first half because we were driving and getting what we wanted in the paint. In the second half, I saw jumpshot after jumpshot after jumpshot. Three pointer after three pointer after threepointer. The games we win are the ones where we drive. Notice that opens up the inside-out game that we flourish with.

ploto
01-26-2008, 11:25 PM
The Spurs used to be able to get away with scoring this little because the defense was so good.

As a team the Spurs are this season giving up 103 points per 100 possessions. That is getting steadily worse by each season.

2003-2004 96
2004-2005 99
2005-2006 100
2006-2007 101
2007-2008 103

Hemotivo
01-26-2008, 11:29 PM
Go to Houston...where Scola happens.
touché :reading

whottt
01-26-2008, 11:31 PM
Let's see if you can understand yourself better this time . . .

When the Spurs are running correctly, they have one or two players on the break. It actually helps the defense because the bigs get to sit back and get an easy basket instead of having to grind each of every possession. Have you watched the last five years?

You are the only person in the world who things running is less of physical drain than half court. The only person...in the entire world. Go ask Robert Horry what he thinks about running...

Welcome to the symptoms of the midseason swoon for the last nine years.

Uh uh...this is different.

Just like it took you 2 years to figure out Horry had something to contribute and 4 years to figure out that Barry helps our offense...I figure you'll be figuring out I'm right about this sometime during the middle of the 2011 season.

Halfcourt execution won all four championships. Where have you been?

We didn't really face any truly great half court teams last year...so it was easier to be better than them.

But you don't break out the halfcourt grind in January.

You do when you are afraid to get into that type of game....for the first time in the Duncan era.

See...before, other teams never wanted the Spurs in the half court....now? Well I can guarantee you the Hornets will want us in the half court...

T Park
01-26-2008, 11:39 PM
I'd say a tad more 4 down needs to be run.

I also think though that the Spurs should start rotating on defense better.

The latter is more of the reason they lost tonight, than the former.

timvp
01-26-2008, 11:39 PM
You are the only person in the world who things running is less of physical drain than half court. The only person...in the entire world. Go ask Robert Horry what he thinks about running...What part of one or two players running while the bigs sit back and watch don't you understand?

Uh uh...this is different.

Just like it took you 2 years to figure out Horry had something to contribute and 4 years to figure out that Barry helps our offense...I figure you'll be figuring out I'm right about this sometime during the middle of the 2011 season. ROFL. Mr. Cavs in Five.

Barry was such a huge part of last year's playoffs. I mean without his 33% shooting where would the Spurs been?

And yes, failure of defensive and offensive halfcourt execution has been the backbone of every season's slump.

We didn't really face any truly great half court teams last year...so it was easier to be better than them. So you admit halfcourt execution won last year, too. Nice flip flopping in one post.

You do when you are afraid to get into that type of game....for the first time in the Duncan era. The playoffs have started?

See...before, other teams never wanted the Spurs in the half court....now? Well I can guarantee you the Hornets will want us in the half court...Congrats on the championship, New Orleans.

T Park
01-26-2008, 11:44 PM
We didn't really face any truly great half court teams last year

Yeah the SUns and Jazz are horrible half court teams :lol

whottt
01-27-2008, 12:00 AM
What part of one or two players running while the bigs sit back and watch don't you understand?

The part where the one or 2 players that do the running get their ass kicked defensively in the 4th quarter.

Also the part where those one or two players start jacking up threes early in the clock, because of that push mindset, like every other bad team in the NBA.

ROFL. Mr. Cavs in Five.

:yawn

Is that really the best you got? Have you convinced yourself yet?

Barry was such a huge part of last year's playoffs. I mean without his 33% shooting where would the Spurs been?

He still helps...pay attention to our offense.

And yes, failure of defensive and offensive halfcourt execution has been the backbone of every season's slump.

There's failure...and there's getting nuked. This is getting nuked.

So you admit halfcourt execution won last year, too. Nice flip flopping in one post.

I admit that

A. We weren't that great in the half court last year.

B. We didn't have to be.

The playoffs have started?

Congrats on the championship, New Orleans.

What ever...

I'll wait for the ingishts in your game thread...

Let's see...

Elson sucked
Bonner played good
Manu ok
Parker ok
Duncan ok
Oberto ok or not
Bowen played great
Vaughn tried to do to much
Udoka working his way into the rotation
If Finley's shot isn't falling he needs to shoot less.

:tu

Maybe throw in a little +/- from tonights game...

It's insight like that that will win us a title...

whottt
01-27-2008, 12:02 AM
Oh...and AJ sucks too!

timvp
01-27-2008, 12:15 AM
http://www.mykohh.com/images/graphic/logos/meltdown.jpg

T Park
01-27-2008, 12:16 AM
:lmao

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-27-2008, 12:17 AM
:lol

timvp
01-27-2008, 12:18 AM
Seriously, where the hell are AHF and Walton Buys of Me? whottt attempted this cheap ripoff version and it failed miserably. You throw a little logic at whottt and he starts owning himself.

AHF or Walton Buys of Me would have had this thread rolling into page 20 by now. The only way this knock off reached page two is because for some reason timvp kept replying.

whottt
01-27-2008, 12:38 AM
Seriously, where the hell are AHF and Walton Buys of Me? whottt attempted this cheap ripoff version and it failed miserably. You throw a little logic at whottt and he starts owning himself.

Logic? Is that what you think you were throwing?

It's real simple...

Whottt: Spurs got a royal beatdown in the half court tonight, because they were tired from running, they are old, they aren't that good in the half court anymore, and they've moved too far away from Duncan.

Timvp: The Spurs got easy points by running so you are wrong. Their defense is why they lost this game.

:wtf

AHF or Walton Buys of Me would have had this thread rolling into page 20 by now. The only way this knock off reached page two is because for some reason timvp kept replying.

Unlike those guys...I had a legitimate and non-overeactive take.

whottt
01-27-2008, 12:39 AM
Oh my bad...was the previous post your bailout?

As you were....

T Park
01-27-2008, 12:40 AM
Spurs got a royal beatdown in the half court tonight, because they were tired from running, they are old, they aren't that good in the half court anymore, and they've moved too far away from Duncan.

You'r not making sense.

What running?

They hardly run during a game.

When they run its efficient in that its only 2 or 3 guys.

Have you been watching the Mavericks again.....

timvp
01-27-2008, 12:44 AM
Logic? Is that what you think you were throwing?

It's real simple...

Whottt: Spurs got a royal beatdown in the half court tonight, because they were tired from running, they are old, they aren't that good in the half court anymore, and they've moved too far away from Duncan.

Timvp: The Spurs got easy points by running so you are wrong. Their defense is why they lost this game.

:wtfROFL. Read the thread again.

Slowly.

Unlike those guys...I can make a thread when the Spurs lose by 30 at home and no one responds.Well done.

Oh my bad...was the previous post your bailout?

As you were....Fail.

whottt
01-27-2008, 12:48 AM
Well timvp...on the bright side...TPark agrees with you.

Any douche bag can say something stupid and get a 10 page thread out of it...however, this was a legitimate analysis thread...and the only fail involved here was your knowledge of the game.

slayermin
01-27-2008, 12:58 AM
It was a getaway game. Not that it's an excuse, but this Rodeo Road Trip has built up a life of it's own over the years.

Add a hot Hornets team and you get what happened tonight. But I will begin to worry if they don't win at least six games on the upcoming trip. I guess I'm predicting a 6-3 record for the RRT.

timvp
01-27-2008, 01:02 AM
Well timvp...on the bright side...TPark agrees with you.

Any douche bag can say something stupid and get a 10 page thread out of it...however, this was a legitimate analysis thread...and the only fail involved here was your knowledge of the game.

whottt

Where Fail Happens.

whottt
01-27-2008, 01:03 AM
It was a getaway game. Not that it's an excuse, but this Rodeo Road Trip has built up a life of it's own over the years.

Add a hot Hornets team and you get what happened tonight. But I will begin to worry if they don't win at least six games on the upcoming trip. I guess I'm predicting a 6-3 record for the RRT.

It's not just that it's a getaway game...Parker and Manu are wearing down. Parker was visibly worn down by the 4th quarter of this game.

T Park
01-27-2008, 01:09 AM
Im throwing down the gauntlet and saying 8-1.

This reminds me alot of the lead up to the RRT back in 02 03.

T Park
01-27-2008, 01:10 AM
Bone spurs and the Flu tend to wear you down...

timvp
01-27-2008, 01:12 AM
It's not just that it's a getaway game...Parker and Manu are wearing down. Parker was visibly worn down by the 4th quarter of this game.Was this the first game you watched in the last six weeks?

whottt
01-27-2008, 01:39 AM
No...I wouldn't make blanket judgements after one game on how to fix the team...I leave that up to you in your game threads.

PS: Running doesn't help heel spurs either.

Sin, Einstein

timvp
01-27-2008, 02:02 AM
NoSure seems like it.

...I wouldn't make blanket judgements after one game on how to fix the teamGood thing your blanket judgments were so well received. I can't keep up with the amount of posts in this thread.

:sleep

...I leave that up to you in your game threads. Obsessed much? If you are truly that enthralled with those threads, how about you take over for the Jazz game?

Deal?

PS: Running doesn't help heel spurs either.

Sin, EinsteinEinstein would know how to spell the world "sincerely".

tlongII
01-27-2008, 02:04 AM
Im throwing down the gauntlet and saying 8-1.

This reminds me alot of the lead up to the RRT back in 02 03.

You better pick that gauntlet up big boy. :lol

whottt
01-27-2008, 02:05 AM
Obsessed much? If you are truly that enthralled with those threads, how about you take over for the Jazz game?

Deal?

No thanks. No one would post in it...[/timvp]

timvp
01-27-2008, 02:11 AM
No thanks. No one would post in it...No, seriously. If you are such a big balling Spurs genius who knows the recipe for Spurs championships (even though last year you picked the Cavs in five in the Finals and said Bowen would be made LeBron's b!tch), you can handle doing one night of Game Thoughts.

Just one night. Let's see what you got. Maybe you can revolutionize basketball knowledge as we know it.

Deal?

tlongII
01-27-2008, 02:16 AM
No, seriously. If you are such a big balling Spurs genius who knows the recipe for Spurs championships (even though last year you picked the Cavs in five in the Finals and said Bowen would be made LeBron's b!tch), you can handle doing one night of Game Thoughts.

Just one night. Let's see what you got. Maybe you can revolutionize basketball knowledge as we know it.

Deal?

I can do it! Let me do it! Please?

Of course that would mean I'd have to watch an entire Spurs game from start to finish... :depressed

hsxvvd
01-27-2008, 02:35 AM
I didn't see the Hornet's game, it did look like oberto's minutes were up, but it's the small ball that's killing us.

I did catch the Lakers & Heat games and we are relying far too much on 3pt shots and allowing opposition teams to shoot 54% is just embarrassing.

I don't think we need to ride Duncan on offence yet, but we sure do need to grind these games out some more and if that means low scoring, boring spurs basketball I'm all for it.

Parker is playing awful right now. If shutting him down will help, then do it. No point having him play like he has the past few games anyway.

Pity we no longer have Washington, Vaughn & Washington could probably get it done until March.

whottt
01-27-2008, 02:36 AM
No, seriously. If you are such a big balling Spurs genius who knows the recipe for Spurs championships (even though last year you picked the Cavs in five in the Finals and said Bowen would be made LeBron's b!tch), you can handle doing one night of Game Thoughts.

Deal?

I don't even know if the Utah game is on in Austin.

I'll do it some night...

And I already have revolutionized basketball knowledge as we know it...the problem with being so far ahead of everyone else is that you get called a crackpot and it takes years before everyone else gets it.

If genius was common...it wouldn't be genius.

I have learned to live with it though...and laugh. All men with great insight were considered heretics at one point or another...it's good company to be in.

PS: I said if Bowen stopped LeBron the Spurs would sweep.

timvp
01-27-2008, 02:47 AM
I don't even know if the Utah game is on in Austin. ROFL. Like that has ever stopped you.

I'll do it some night...Jazz. You. Be there.

And I already have revolutionized basketball knowledge as we know it...the problem with being so far ahead of everyone else is that you get called a crackpot and it takes years before everyone else gets it.

If genius was common...it wouldn't be genius.

I have learned to live with it though...and laugh. All men with great insight were considered heretics at one point or another...it's good company to be in. Is the smoke really that good in Austin?

PS: I said if Bowen stopped LeBron the Spurs would sweep.Wow. Great insight. You really are a genius :tu

We'll just ignore that your actual prediction was that LeBron would manhandle Bowen.

timvp
01-27-2008, 02:50 AM
http://www.kxan.com/Global/story.asp?S=7334076

The Utah game will be on the same channel as tonight's game was in Austin. No excuses. Time to walk the walk.

Deal?

whottt
01-27-2008, 02:56 AM
What exactly are you hoping to prove? Besides...I've already done a game thoughts thread this season.

timvp
01-27-2008, 02:58 AM
What exactly are you hoping to prove?Nothing.
Besides...I've already done a game thoughts thread this season.Good, then it should be a breeze.

Deal?

ChumpDumper
01-27-2008, 02:58 AM
http://www.kxan.com/Global/story.asp?S=7334076

The Utah game will be on the same channel as tonight's game was in Austin. No excuses. Time to walk the walk.

Deal?It's a different channel, not that it matters much.

whottt
01-27-2008, 03:07 AM
Nothing. Good, then it should be a breeze.

Deal?

LOL ok...you realize that your fans are going to bitch about that right?

timvp
01-27-2008, 03:12 AM
LOL ok...you realize that your fans are going to bitch about that right?You will win everybody over. Trust me. Just follow the same format but insert genius takes along the way.

Deal?

whottt
01-27-2008, 03:32 AM
You really need a break from it that badly eh?

timvp
01-27-2008, 03:33 AM
You really need a break from it that badly eh?Is this a yes? Can we stop asking each other questions and you just go ahead and agree?

whottt
01-27-2008, 03:39 AM
I'll try it...I'll be honest though, if I have to do it it feels like work and it's harder to do. That's why I've never done the blogs and stuff. I also don't like having to worry about grammar, punctuation, typos etc. Too much like work. But I'll see what happens...

timvp
01-27-2008, 03:46 AM
I'll try it...I'll be honest though, if I have to do it it feels like work and it's harder to do. That's why I've never done the blogs and stuff. I also don't like having to worry about grammar, punctuation, typos etc. Too much like work. But I'll see what happens...Nice.

I'll be at the beach.

:smokin

Fillmoe
01-27-2008, 03:47 AM
when did they become fun? did i miss something?

hsxvvd
01-27-2008, 04:52 AM
http://www.computerdoctorpresents.com/images/man-desk-large.jpg

ShoogarBear
01-27-2008, 05:43 AM
http://www.computerdoctorpresents.com/images/man-desk-large.jpg:lmao