PDA

View Full Version : McCain Picking Up Key Endorsements in FL

AFBlue
01-26-2008, 11:28 PM
News out today that McCain has picked up the endorsement of Rep. Governor Charlie Crist of FL. This coming a day after he picked up the endorsement of popular cuban-american Senator Mel Martinez, also of FL. I'm not sure if either of these two endorsements will sway the voters so close to election day, but neither of them can hurt.

And as we've seen throughout this process, significant shifts can happen in the last days leading up to an election. It'll be interesting to see how much of a bump he gets in the polls based on these two endorsements....

AFBlue
01-27-2008, 06:02 PM
Oh yeah, forgot the endorsement of the NY Times.... :lol

Nbadan
01-27-2008, 11:29 PM
Looks like John's not done breaking the bank quiet yet....

"It's a tough war we're in. It's not going to be over right away. There's going to be other wars." Offering more of his increasingly bleak "straight talk," he repeated the claim: "I'm sorry to tell you, there's going to be other wars. We will never surrender but there will be other wars."

--- John McCain (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/01/27/mccain-warns-there-will_n_83459.html)

ChumpDumper
01-28-2008, 02:06 AM
It's not going to be over right away even if we decide to pull out "immediately" -- withdrawal would take over two years.

AFBlue
01-28-2008, 07:02 AM
Looks like John's not done breaking the bank quiet yet....

--- John McCain (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/01/27/mccain-warns-there-will_n_83459.html)

Newsflash: We're at war every day with Islamic extremists and it's not one that's going to be over anytime soon.

Also, what is the longest period of time in our country's history of NOT being involved in a conflict? Sadly, I think history will show that war is in fact a societal norm.

What McCain didn't say was that the US was going to START any war without provocation....which would be an indication of the same 'ol Bush foreign policy.

What he said above isn't anything different than what he's already been saying....and I don't think you'd find too many of the other candidates that would feel differently if they were honest with themselves.

DarkReign
01-28-2008, 10:08 AM
god forbid the world's only superpower use its position of strength to try to stop warfare instead of inciting it

WTF are you thinking? Who the hell makes money with a philosophy like that?!

DarkReign
01-28-2008, 10:08 AM
Newsflash: We're at war every day with Islamic extremists and it's not one that's going to be over anytime soon.

:lmao

Shill.

AFBlue
01-28-2008, 12:08 PM

:lmao

Shill.

Yeah, I've been drinking a little too much of the McCain kool-aid of late...but I still think it's unreasonable to assume that there will be significant peace under the next president regardless of who that ends up being.

The other candidates are just to chickenshit to admit it.

DarkReign
01-28-2008, 12:25 PM
Yeah, I've been drinking a little too much of the McCain kool-aid of late...but I still think it's unreasonable to assume that there will be significant peace under the next president regardless of who that ends up being.

The only reason there will not be peace for America under any administration is because Americans choose war overwhelmingly over peace.

AFBlue
01-28-2008, 12:40 PM
The only reason there will not be peace for America under any administration is because Americans choose war overwhelmingly over peace.

War is not something unique to this country. There are warring nations and factions across the globe that have their conflicts rooted in ideology and ethnicity and even land.

I think the propensity for this country to engage itself in these conflicts is two-fold....

1. This country has interest in seeing that one side or the other comes out victorious....be it tied to money, ideological concerns, or regional stability.

2. This country feels it has a social responsibility as the preeminent superpower in this nation.

While it may or may not end up with the commital of our troops to the cause, you almost have to concede that America will be a part of global conflict as long as it remains the preeminent power.

DarkReign
01-28-2008, 12:59 PM
War is not something unique to this country. There are warring nations and factions across the globe that have their conflicts rooted in ideology and ethnicity and even land.

I think the propensity for this country to engage itself in these conflicts is two-fold....

1. This country has interest in seeing that one side or the other comes out victorious....be it tied to money, ideological concerns, or regional stability.

Totally agree, absolutely true.

2. This country feels it has a social responsibility as the preeminent superpower in this nation.

While it may or may not end up with the commital of our troops to the cause, you almost have to concede that America will be a part of global conflict as long as it remains the preeminent power.

I think you meant "preeminent superpower in this world", but yeah I got it.

There is a global responsibility, that I will never argue. But how one executes those responsibilities is up for criticism. Rwanda, Sudan, India vs Pakistan, etc.

No, we didnt get involved in existing conflicts of gencide/potential nuclear warfare, we started our own war for our own reasons and sold it as a "world problem" and promptly invaded a country under the pretense of affiliation with said enemy although that has been proven false on any substantial ground.

With great power, comes great....you know the rest. American leadership and the lemmings who salute whatever bullshit is run-up the partisan flagpole are to blame for the missteps and lies we perceive.

I am guilty for doing nothing proactive to change that atmosphere.

AFBlue
01-28-2008, 01:06 PM
Totally agree, absolutely true.

I think you meant "preeminent superpower in this world", but yeah I got it.

There is a global responsibility, that I will never argue. But how one executes those responsibilities is up for criticism. Rwanda, Sudan, India vs Pakistan, etc.

No, we didnt get involved in existing conflicts of gencide/potential nuclear warfare, we started our own war for our own reasons and sold it as a "world problem" and promptly invaded a country under the pretense of affiliation with said enemy although that has been proven false on any substantial ground.

With great power, comes great....you know the rest. American leadership and the lemmings who salute whatever bullshit is run-up the partisan flagpole are to blame for the missteps and lies we perceive.

I am guilty for doing nothing proactive to change that atmosphere.

No disagreement....we're on the same page.

Sorry to be anti-climactic if you were hoping for a more intense debate... :lol

AFBlue
01-28-2008, 01:17 PM
FWIW...

The Orlando Sentinel, Palm Beach Post, and Gainesville Sun have all thrown their endorsements to McCain as well.

DarkReign
01-28-2008, 01:17 PM
No disagreement....we're on the same page.

Sorry to be anti-climactic if you were hoping for a more intense debate... :lol

Hehe, its cool.

AFBlue
01-28-2008, 01:21 PM
Add the South Florida Sun Sentinel, the Bradenton Herald, and the St. Petersburg Times.

Nationally he picked up the Chicago Tribune, Philadelphia Inquirer, the Stockton Record, and the Arizona Republic.

boutons_
01-28-2008, 02:58 PM
McCain is pro-Iraq war, plans to stay for decades, and is now talking about starting other wars. So he has the endorsement of the $$$MIC.

Meanwhile, the US military is still on schedule to "break" in April, as announced by the brass last year.

Holt's Cat
01-30-2008, 12:56 AM
Ike was right.

Nbadan
01-30-2008, 01:52 AM
Tomorrow in California - John "Keating Five" McCain is being endorsed by G. I. Joe Lieberman, 9iu11iani, and the "Gropenator" Swartzeneggar...

Nbadan
01-30-2008, 01:54 AM
http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/9834/thumbs/s-JOHN-MCCAIN-large.jpg
Student to McCain: "Boxers? Or Briefs?" McCain: "Depends."

Holt's Cat
01-30-2008, 09:46 AM
Tomorrow in California - John "Keating Five" McCain is being endorsed by G. I. Joe Lieberman, 9iu11iani, and the "Gropenator" Swartzeneggar...

Well he's already been endorsed by Lieberman. But it is interesting that he's somehow become the political reformer. Now all he needs is for the Dems to nominate Clinton and he has the presidency in the bag. Unless, of course, Romney finds a way to derail the 'Straight Talk Express'...

DarkReign
01-30-2008, 10:07 AM
Well he's already been endorsed by Lieberman. But it is interesting that he's somehow become the political reformer. Now all he needs is for the Dems to nominate Clinton and he has the presidency in the bag. Unless, of course, Romney finds a way to derail the 'Straight Talk Express'...

If Hillary is the alternative, McCain gets my vote.

DarkReign
01-30-2008, 10:08 AM
Edit that, if Hilary is the Dem, the Republican is getting my vote period.

Holt's Cat
01-30-2008, 10:21 AM
What happens if it's McCain v. Obama?

DarkReign
01-30-2008, 10:28 AM
What happens if it's McCain v. Obama?

Well, then, I'd have to consider it more. McCain is (apparently) very gung-ho military macho man all the sudden (even though his Michigan ads tried portraying him differently).

Obama is.....what is he?

Im almost tempted to say Obama just because he is new and inexperienced. This good ol boy club of former Presidents have done nothing but put this country further and further behind the 8 ball.

Either way, the next president is going to be shit on in biblical proportion. The economy is going to dive, hard and fast. Peeps are going to lose their 401k, IRAs and stocks not invested in real assets (gold, oil, real estate, etc).

The buying power of the USD is going to plummet to historical lows in the next 8 years. All of this will blamed on the President, regardless of the circumstances that lead to the demise (no, not Bush, he is just one of many to kick it further down the road).

So, let a noob take the fall. Maybe he worms his way thru it somehow. Who knows with Barack.

McCain will die in office. Dude is a fossil. Couple that with the stress of the office and his failing health and imprisonment...yeah.

side note: seen pics of Bush in 2000? Clinton in 1992? Compare those with the guy who is leaving office....I's like 'whoa'.

Holt's Cat
01-30-2008, 10:33 AM
McCain is staying in Iraq for a long time. He can get away with such a position against Clinton, as so many are more concerned about her smarmy attitude and her husband washing his member in the Oval Office sink again rather than continuing to spend hundreds of billions, if not trillions of funny dollars maintaining a standing army in Iraq. So Clinton's personal negatives are worse than the negative view held by a majority of Americans of the Iraq policy. But take Clinton out of the race and suddenly the great big negative is hanging around McCain's neck.

xrayzebra
01-30-2008, 10:52 AM
Well with the Florida deligate count, it puts McCain about 23
deligates ahead of Romney. Super Tuesday will tell the tale.
There is a long way to go to get the magic number. The
early vote in Florida might have put McCain in the winning
column and before he made such a bad mistake as claiming
Romney wanted the set timetables for withdrawal from Iraq,
which he didn't do. And McCain was called on it time after
time. And McCain wouldn't back off his statements. Bad
move on his part. I think.

I wouldn't count Billary out yet either. Those Clintons will
call every card in that is owed them. And Obama better
not have any skeltons in the closet, cause old Billary/Bill
have their crew out checking and re-checking his whole life.
Even old what's his face, from Hustler more than likely is
checking his sex life from A to Z, don't you know.
It is going to get really, really down and dirty, both sides,
from here on out. Hang on, it is going to be better than
the roller-coaster at Fiesta Texas.

101A
01-30-2008, 10:55 AM
Well with the Florida deligate count, it puts McCain about 23
deligates ahead of Romney. Super Tuesday will tell the tale.
There is a long way to go to get the magic number. The
early vote in Florida might have put McCain in the winning
column and before he made such a bad mistake as claiming
Romney wanted the set timetables for withdrawal from Iraq,
which he didn't do. And McCain was called on it time after
time. And McCain wouldn't back off his statements. Bad
move on his part. I think.

I wouldn't count Billary out yet either. Those Clintons will
call every card in that is owed them. And Obama better
not have any skeltons in the closet, cause old Billary/Bill
have their crew out checking and re-checking his whole life.
Even old what's his face, from Hustler more than likely is
checking his sex life from A to Z, don't you know.
It is going to get really, really down and dirty, both sides,
from here on out. Hang on, it is going to be better than
the roller-coaster at Fiesta Texas.It doesn't matter what McCain did BEFORE the results came in in Fl. - he is now the front-runner, and the media is going to treat him that way. Romney has a SERIOUS uphill battle from here. It think some conservative Republicans underestimate the Mormon factor with evangelicals. They see it as, basically, a cult. It is having an effect.

xrayzebra
01-30-2008, 11:01 AM
It doesn't matter what McCain did BEFORE the results came in in Fl. - he is now the front-runner, and the media is going to treat him that way. Romney has a SERIOUS uphill battle from here. It think some conservative Republicans underestimate the Mormon factor with evangelicals. They see it as, basically, a cult. It is having an effect.

Oh, you every so right. MSM love McCain right now. But
wont in the general election.

I am no so sure about your observation on the Mormon
factor though. Yes it will affect some, but I don't think
that many.

Holt's Cat
01-30-2008, 11:07 AM
It doesn't matter what McCain did BEFORE the results came in in Fl. - he is now the front-runner, and the media is going to treat him that way. Romney has a SERIOUS uphill battle from here. It think some conservative Republicans underestimate the Mormon factor with evangelicals. They see it as, basically, a cult. It is having an effect.

So Romney doesn't win in Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, and any other state that ranks below 45 out of 50 in various social metrics.

Romney can stay very much alive after Super Tuesday, especially with California not being a winner take all state. Plus we'll have to see how McCain handles success. When he seems to think he can speak his mind he usually manages to hurt himself with the base.

xrayzebra
01-30-2008, 11:18 AM
. When he seems to think he can speak his mind he usually manages to hurt himself with the base.

What little mind he has left. You have to wonder about
him sometime.

George Gervin's Afro
01-30-2008, 12:47 PM
What little mind he has left. You have to wonder about
him sometime.

I was going to make a comment but I won't...

Wild Cobra
01-30-2008, 09:52 PM
If Hillary is the alternative, McCain gets my vote.
I agree. If Richardson could have pulled it off, he would be the only democrat I would consider over the possible republican winner. For me, it doesn't matter. I prefer Romney, but I will vote for any of the remaining republicans over the winning democrap.

Wild Cobra
01-30-2008, 09:57 PM
I disagree. It was the hispanic vote that put McCain over the top. Florida probably has more hispanic voters than most other states, at least legal ones.

Maybe I'm wrong there... I have to rethink that...

In a state like mine, they make it easy for illegals to vote, and never verify. By doing to they encourage illegal votes...

Wild Cobra
01-30-2008, 10:05 PM
Another curious thing. Didn't Thompson drop out too late for the people who voted early to reconsider? Now with Giuliani out, who will his supporters vote for? Most people don't blindly follow the endorsed...

I believe most all the Thompson supporters will vote for Romney. Harder to tell with the Giuloani supporters, but in my view, the things that made him viable will give about 2/3rds of his voters to Romney.

I still see Romney as easily pulling this one off. I wish Huckabee would drop out now as I think Romney will get most his supporters as well.

Republicans traditionally vote conservative. Romney is the most conservative on the most important issues today. McCain is the only viable liberal left. Romney is sharing his right-sidedness with Huckabee.

Tell me I'm wrong that the republicans would easily pick Romney over McCain if it were only the two of them.

Damn... I really want runoff elections...