PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Back home, Spurs face Kobe & Co.

Kori Ellis
01-04-2005, 03:16 AM
Back home, Spurs face Kobe & Co.
Web Posted: 01/04/2005 01:02 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
San Antonio Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA010405.1D.spurs.71161aa1.html

The Spurs touched down at San Antonio International Airport early Monday morning, fresh off a three-game trip that guard Manu Ginobili described as "good, but could have been great."

They beat Portland and the Los Angeles Clippers handily before falling short in Sacramento on Sunday. They'll see a little more of California tonight, albeit on their own floor, when the Los Angeles Lakers return to the SBC Center for the first time since Derek Fisher skipped off the court after Game 5 of last season's Western Conference semifinals.

While the locals won't soon forget Fisher's .4-second catch-and-release, most of the Lakers have trouble recalling it. Of the 12 players on Los Angeles' active roster, only Kobe Bryant, Luke Walton, Stanislav Medvedenko and Brian Cook were among the 19,000 witnesses that night.

"They're a very different team, but still a formidable one," Spurs forward Tim Duncan said. "We'll be prepared for them. After our performance (Sunday), I know we'll be juiced and ready to go and re-focused.

"I think that's the one thing losses do for us: They help us re-focus and come back with a little more energy."

The Spurs could use the energy, considering Bryant has scored 42, 48 and 42 points the past three games. Already coping with a strained left shoulder, Bryant lit up Denver on Sunday despite playing with his thumb bandaged on his (right) shooting hand.

The Spurs have their own list of ailments that need fixing. Duncan faulted himself for Sunday's loss after missing 11 of 17 shots, but he had plenty of help. Guard Tony Parker danced around the perimeter much of the night, unable or unwilling to get into the lane to collapse the Kings' defense.

The Spurs also would prefer to get off to a better start than they did in the previous two games, when they shot a combined 14 for 45 (31.1 percent) in the first quarter.

Spending the next three games at home ought to help. The Spurs have lost only one of their past 28 regular-season games at the SBC Center. Their only other home loss during that time came when Fisher flipped in his buzzer-beater in the playoffs.

"To have a week at home is beautiful," Ginobili said. "Especially getting ready for February, when we're not going to be home at all."

"This is a key stretch," forward Robert Horry said, "where some guys can get their rhythm back."

The Spurs hope to use the next week to get in a couple of practices, something that has been in short supply because of their busy schedule. The 32 games they had played through Sunday were matched only by Memphis.

"It's good to get those games in now," Horry said, "when we're playing good."

The challenge now is going from good to great.

Udrih honored: Beno Udrih was voted the Western Conference Rookie of the Month for December.

Udrih averaged 6.6 points per game — tops among all West rookies — and 3.0 assists in 14.5 minutes. He also shot 53.4 percent, including 50 percent from the 3-point line.

For the season, Udrih ranks second in the NBA in 3-point shooting at 47.8 percent.

Ginobili was the last Spurs rookie to receive the honor, in March 2003.

Rummpd
01-04-2005, 11:55 AM
nice article.

MadDoc

T Park
01-04-2005, 01:24 PM
"I think that's the one thing losses do for us: They help us re-focus and come back with a little more energy."

Very reminiscint attitude of the 99 and 03 teams.

They loose one game, they get pissed off and take it out on the next team.

AKA Minnesota in the second half on the 23 of December.

Jimcs50
01-04-2005, 01:35 PM
Very reminiscint attitude of the 99 and 03 teams.

They loose one game, they get pissed off and take it out on the next team.

AKA Minnesota in the second half on the 23 of December.

I seem to last years team losing back to back to back a few times.

The 99 team never lost back to back and I think a lot of that was having Mario and AJ on the team to keep the players focussed.

Rick Von Braun
01-04-2005, 01:41 PM

The 99 team never lost back to back and I think a lot of that was having Mario and AJ on the team to keep the players focussed.
Another important reason could be that the 99 team played fewer back-to-back than any other year. http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smispin.gif

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-04-2005, 02:17 PM
The 99 team never lost back to back and I think a lot of that was having Mario and AJ on the team to keep the players focussed. -Jim

I don't have the '99 schedule in front of me, but didn't that team start out 6-8? That would lead me to think there was at least one back-to-back loss that year.

T Park
01-04-2005, 02:40 PM

Prob the reason they lost in the second round, there wasnt that fire in the stomach.

Once again, in 03 and 99 there wasnt the back to back losses like that.

td4mvp21
01-04-2005, 06:16 PM
In 03 they had like three or four two game losing streaks but nothing more than that. I would say thats pretty darn good.