PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Jason Kidd Wants to be Traded

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-27-2008, 11:47 AM
Sources: Kidd Wants Out Of New Jersey
January 27, 2008 - 10:34 am
RealGM Staff Report -

New Jersey's Star-Ledger has reported that Jason's Kidd's agent Jeff Schwartz has asked Nets' President Rod Thorn to trade his client to a contender before February's trade deadline. The information was received from several unnamed league sources.

The problems continue to add up for Thorn as trading Kidd will not be easy if he wants to get even close to equal value in return.

"Right now things are going very poorly for us," Thorn told the Star-Ledger. "Historically, those are the times when you don't get offered what you might consider fair deals. And sometimes you feel that maybe you should do something to do something, but those are the times you have to be very cognizant and careful about what the results of your actions might be."

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/50526/20080127/sources_kidd_wants_out_of_new_jersey

TDMVPDPOY
01-27-2008, 12:19 PM
the knicks should pull this trade straight up with marbury

swap places again...

lefty
01-27-2008, 12:22 PM
the knicks should pull this trade straight up with marbury

swap places again...

I hope Marbury won't commit suicide if Kidd leads the Knicks to the NBA FInals

Avitus1
01-27-2008, 02:55 PM
What a shock......

Purple & Gold
01-27-2008, 03:04 PM
Odom and Kwame for Kidd.

Make it happen Mitch.

LakeShow
01-27-2008, 03:13 PM
Odom and Kwame for Kidd.

Make it happen Mitch.

Nooooooo, we can't trade Big for small. I wouldn't make that trade, especially since the bigs we do have are out. Turiaf would have to play center and he's hurting right now. Who else is healthy? DJ? That's not a good move right now, imo.

Purple & Gold
01-27-2008, 03:20 PM
Nooooooo, we can't trade Big for small. I wouldn't make that trade, especially since the bigs we do have are out. Turiaf would have to play center and he's hurting right now. Who else is healthy? DJ? That's not a good move right now, imo.

Are you serious? This is Jason Kidd we're talking about. Odom sucks and Kwame is 10 times worse than him. Yeah we'd be thin in the frontcourt for about a month. But when Bynum comes back our team would be stacked. If you think Bynum is good now just wait till he has a past first PG like Kidd. He'd make him look like a HOF'er. It would be a great move, but the Nets wouldn't do it.

LakeShow
01-27-2008, 03:32 PM
Are you serious? This is Jason Kidd we're talking about. Odom sucks and Kwame is 10 times worse than him. Yeah we'd be thin in the frontcourt for about a month. But when Bynum comes back our team would be stacked. If you think Bynum is good now just wait till he has a past first PG like Kidd. He'd make him look like a HOF'er. It would be a great move, but the Nets wouldn't do it.

Yeah I'm serious. I wouldn't make that trade with Kidd's enormous contract. $21million next season? The price is too high in my opinion.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-27-2008, 03:38 PM
Yeah I'm serious. I wouldn't make that trade with Kidd's enormous contract. $21million next season? The price is too high in my opinion.

I think Jason Kidd at that price for a likely Western Conference finals matchup (at the very least) is worth the deal and price.

That makes one hell of a backcourt top to bottom if the Lakers get Kidd.

Purple & Gold
01-27-2008, 03:38 PM
Lamar's getting 14+ Million next season. As happy as I am with Farmar and Fisher at the PG position, it's is still a weak point for the Lakers. Kidd can still get a triple double every night. It would also allow us to have a stronger rotation at the backup SG. Kobe would be able to slide down to the 3 spot easier. Sasha and Critt would get less minutes. It's a win win for the Lakers IMO.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-27-2008, 03:40 PM
I'd kill for Farmar at the backup PG.

Purple & Gold
01-27-2008, 03:41 PM
I'd kill for Farmar at the backup PG.

I'd kill for Tony Parker as the starting PG.

But most definitely Farmar is playing like a stud. He's a keeper.

ducks
01-27-2008, 04:08 PM
kidd for dirk
mavs would be better off

LakeShow
01-27-2008, 04:29 PM
I think Jason Kidd at that price for a likely Western Conference finals matchup (at the very least) is worth the deal and price.

That makes one hell of a backcourt top to bottom if the Lakers get Kidd.

No doubt the backcourt would be great but our frontcourt would suffer immensely! I like our chances as we are.

LakeShow
01-27-2008, 04:47 PM
Lamar's getting 14+ Million next season. As happy as I am with Farmar and Fisher at the PG position, it's is still a weak point for the Lakers. Kidd can still get a triple double every night. It would also allow us to have a stronger rotation at the backup SG. Kobe would be able to slide down to the 3 spot easier. Sasha and Critt would get less minutes. It's a win win for the Lakers IMO.

I hear you, I just feel that the lakers can do better than another guard for those guys.I would prefer änother forward you may be correct, I'm just not feeling that:

ludda
01-27-2008, 04:49 PM
JKidd is a great, great player but the whole "he's the saviour and will win us a ring" thing is overrated.

LakeShow
01-27-2008, 06:41 PM
JKidd is a great, great player but the whole "he's the saviour and will win us a ring" thing is overrated.

I have to agree to a certain extent. My thing is if we make that trade, we would be like the Suns. Sure it would be better if Bynum were healthy, but he's not. If JO were healthy or a player of that caliber, that would be the trade that I would prefer.

LakeShow
01-27-2008, 06:44 PM
Now if we could do a package that includes Brown, Walton, Crit/sasha or Rad,...I'm all for that.

da_suns_fan
01-27-2008, 06:46 PM
I would laugh my ass off if the Lakers traded Odom for Kidd.

da_suns_fan
01-27-2008, 06:52 PM
Now if we could do a package that includes Brown, Walton, Crit/sasha or Rad,...I'm all for that.

New Jersey would never take back Rad's contract.

Walton, Kwame, Farmar, Vujacic, Turiaf for Kidd?

Still not enough:
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=429~981~3002~2789~2421~2027&teams=13~17~17~17~17~17&te=&cash=

Looks like the only way it will work financially is if they trade Odom.

da_suns_fan
01-27-2008, 06:53 PM
6 for 1 deal:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=429~981~3002~549~2789~2421~202 7&teams=13~17~17~17~17~17~17&te=&cash=

LakeShow
01-27-2008, 07:00 PM
New Jersey would never take back Rad's contract.

Walton, Kwame, Farmar, Vujacic, Turiaf for Kidd?

Still not enough:
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=429~981~3002~2789~2421~2027&teams=13~17~17~17~17~17&te=&cash=

Looks like the only way it will work financially is if they trade Odom.

Yeah that makes sense. I would pass on Kidd at this price. I would try to move brown now, save Odom until next season to move if I had to or If Phoenix is ready to move marion, I'd do that. We need help in the middle right now, the guard play is not great but adequate.

LakeShow
01-27-2008, 07:01 PM
6 for 1 deal:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=429~981~3002~549~2789~2421~202 7&teams=13~17~17~17~17~17~17&te=&cash=

HELL NO!

baseline bum
01-27-2008, 07:52 PM
It's a good time for the Nets to get out of that deal. Kidd may be the most overrated player in the game right now. The guy shoots 36.7% and can't play D any more. He's not making his teammates better the way he used to, and he's not winning. Kidd's game has fallen off a cliff this season, and all the momentum points to things becoming worse in the next year or so. I don't see him in the league after next season.

Armando
01-27-2008, 07:58 PM
Why would anyone trade for Kidd? He has Carter and Jefferson on his team yet the Nets are in the cellar of the Eastern Conference. They should at least be a 4th or 5th seed.

Purple & Gold
01-27-2008, 08:14 PM
I would laugh my ass off if the Lakers traded Odom for Kidd.

I hope you get to laugh your whole ass off then. :)

Purple & Gold
01-27-2008, 08:18 PM
I hear you, I just feel that the lakers can do better than another guard for those guys.I would prefer änother forward you may be correct, I'm just not feeling that:

I hear you I'd love to get a real PF that can rebound, score, and play defense. But those are real hard to come by. But believe me we will get a whole lot more easy baskets if Kidd is playing the point. But I would only trade Odom and Kwame for him (maybe a pick). I don't consider Farmar and Critt filler for Kidd. That's why I doubt it happens.

ClingingMars
01-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Vladimir, Brown, and Walton/Fisher for Kidd would work.

-Mars

LakeShow
01-27-2008, 10:45 PM
I hear you I'd love to get a real PF that can rebound, score, and play defense. But those are real hard to come by. But believe me we will get a whole lot more easy baskets if Kidd is playing the point. But I would only trade Odom and Kwame for him (maybe a pick). I don't consider Farmar and Critt filler for Kidd. That's why I doubt it happens.

If Mims comes back and does a good job it might work for now. I just think if we gut our team or give up most of our bigs right now, we're conceding defeat this season and building for next. Ronny would be all we have right now if Mims doesnt make it back,... but if we got Kidd and pay him the 21 million next season, im sure he would sign for much less when that contract is up.

hmmm,...Naw man i don't like it, make New Jersey buy him out, then we can talk. :)

LakeShow
01-27-2008, 10:46 PM
Vladimir, Brown, and Walton/Fisher for Kidd would work.

-Mars

It would have to be walton. Fisher will retire a Laker! I'd do that!

itzsoweezee
01-27-2008, 11:57 PM
kidd isn't putting any team over the top, with the exception of boston or cleveland.

ludda
01-27-2008, 11:58 PM
kidd isn't putting any team over the top, with the exception of boston or cleveland.

I agree. I don't get why so many people think the Lakers or Mavs have this HUGE need for Kidd. I love his game, but he's not a miracle worker.

Purple & Gold
01-28-2008, 12:00 AM
Kidd is pretty damn good. He might not put the Lakers over the top, but he definitely gives them a much better chance at winning. If it only costs something like Odom and Kwame, to me it's a no-brainer.

Purple & Gold
01-28-2008, 12:03 AM
If Mims comes back and does a good job it might work for now. I just think if we gut our team or give up most of our bigs right now, we're conceding defeat this season and building for next. Ronny would be all we have right now if Mims doesnt make it back,... but if we got Kidd and pay him the 21 million next season, im sure he would sign for much less when that contract is up.

hmmm,...Naw man i don't like it, make New Jersey buy him out, then we can talk. :)

I think Mihm is done. I wouldn't count on him for anything. I guess it comes down to how much we think of Odom and Kwame. I don't happen to think much of both of them. I don't think making that trade is conceding defeat.

TheNextGen
01-28-2008, 12:05 AM

i hope ur being sarcastic

the Lakers should trade odom and kwame for kidd in a heartbeat.

Kidd, Bryant, Bynum = Finals

da_suns_fan
01-28-2008, 06:10 PM

Foolish foolish foolish.

M.K. won't make that trade because he's not a moron.

I hope against hope that the Lakers will trade Odom for Kidd.

Medvedenko
01-28-2008, 06:15 PM
Yeah, I won't trade Odom for Kidd....at this time either unless it comes with another big. Both players can rebound, pass the ball and both can't shoot worth a lick. Still, sliding Kidd at the point with Fisher starting at the 2 would be nice. I would play Kobe at the 3 and have turiaf start the at the 4.

Findog
01-28-2008, 06:17 PM
Please Donnie, don't trade for Kidd. Let's take our lumps and get Devin healthy.

da_suns_fan
01-28-2008, 06:21 PM
Yeah, I won't trade Odom for Kidd....at this time either unless it comes with another big. Both players can rebound, pass the ball and both can't shoot worth a lick. Still, sliding Kidd at the point with Fisher starting at the 2 would be nice. I would play Kobe at the 3 and have turiaf start the at the 4.

Bynum, Odom >>>>>>>>>>> Bynum, Turiaf

So much so that it negates the fact that Kidd is there.

What does Kidd bring that you don't already have?

da_suns_fan
01-28-2008, 06:23 PM
Please Donnie, don't trade for Kidd. Let's take our lumps and get Devin healthy.

What would the proposed trade even be? Kidd makes a crap load of money.

The only way I see Kidd coming is if they trade Dampier, and they're not taking back THAT contract.

Findog
01-28-2008, 07:01 PM
What would the proposed trade even be? Kidd makes a crap load of money.

The only way I see Kidd coming is if they trade Dampier, and they're not taking back THAT contract.

The Nets would ask for some combination of Howard, Harris or Terry. I think Harris is probably 80% the player Kidd is and he's ten years younger. There's just no way to make it work. Besides, Harris has really stepped up his game this year. I don't think PG is a weakness for us. I'd prefer one more interior defender ala Kurt Thomas, or another post-up guy to go with Bass.

Findog
01-28-2008, 07:05 PM
and another complication with Kidd going to Dallas is that NJ would obviously want Devin to be the PG replacement, but he's BYC so we'd have to throw in a whole lot more. Now watch us get creamed by Boston on Thursday night and have to hear from that fatass Barkley about how much we need to make a trade.

:pctoss

ludda
01-28-2008, 07:21 PM
and another complication with Kidd going to Dallas is that NJ would obviously want Devin to be the PG replacement, but he's BYC so we'd have to throw in a whole lot more. Now watch us get creamed by Boston on Thursday night and have to hear from that fatass Barkley about how much we need to make a trade.
:pctoss

Most logical fans only listen to Barkley for entertainment purposes.

I will laugh if the Mavs trade Harris or Howard + whatever for Kidd.

LakeShow
01-28-2008, 07:30 PM

Why? Because he's jkidd? A 35 year old, 20million a year jkidd who is yet to win a title? The Lakers didn't win with GP, Malone, SHaq, and KB. Kidd does not come with guarantee. A guard is not what the Lakers need.they need a 15/10 low post pf. I'm all for moving brown and odom for that.

if the Lakers make that trade they will be even weaker and jkidd Kobe and a bunch of guards would be no better than his team in NJ . Bynum is not here and the Lakers healthy with Bynum were #1 in the west, they don't need Kidd at that cost.

Odom and brown's contracts are gold! They can get 2 solid role players for those contracts. Baron Davis will be a FA. Andre Miller appears to be available if the Lakers wish to persue a guard.

I'm satisfied with our guard play.

Right now the Lakers need a low post PF; a middle aged pf would be best.

baseline bum
01-28-2008, 07:47 PM
The Nets would ask for some combination of Howard, Harris or Terry. I think Harris is probably 80% the player Kidd is and he's ten years younger. There's just no way to make it work. Besides, Harris has really stepped up his game this year. I don't think PG is a weakness for us. I'd prefer one more interior defender ala Kurt Thomas, or another post-up guy to go with Bass.

Damn, that would be sweet to see Cuban trade even one of Harris/Howard for Kidd. I would instantly hate him a lot less if he pushed for that deal to go through.

Findog
01-28-2008, 08:02 PM
I really wouldn't count on Kidd coming to Dallas. If Harris is out longer than 2-3 weeks, I can us getting involved in the Mighty Mouse sweepstakes, but they're not about to go breaking up the core after they sat tight in the summer. Harris has improved on the biggest weakness in his game, which is outside shooting. I no longer cringe whenever he takes a jumper.

LakeShow
01-30-2008, 03:42 PM
There is a god~ The Lakers have no interest in JKidd. That's a good thing,

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakerep30jan30,1,3202000.column?ctrack=2&cset=true

The Lakers are not expected to be a player in a trade for New Jersey's Jason Kidd, a source said.

The Nets, with a 19-26 record, reportedly are shopping Kidd, who is indisputably ready to go, having said, "It's time to move on."

Bryant, who once pushed for a Bynum-Kidd trade, isn't going that far anymore. Jackson is thought to be skeptical about bringing in the 34-year-old point guard.

DazedAndConfused
01-30-2008, 04:04 PM
Holy Christ Dallas will be the odds on favorites if this deal goes down

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AvO0.8KWhY7oINHnq0woZuQ5nYcB?slug=aw-kiddtrade013008&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

baseline bum
01-30-2008, 04:12 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AvO0.8KWhY7oINHnq0woZuQ5nYcB?slug=aw-kiddtrade013008&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I hope that goes down. Assuming Parker gets back healthy, that makes the Dallas matchup much easier for the Spurs (even moreso with Stackhouse out of the picture). Kidd couldn't guard Parker at all 5 years ago (the Nets had to switch Kittles onto Parker after the way TP scored at will on Kidd in games 1 and 2), and now he has no chance. Kidd can't guard Ginobili either. Harris really makes the Spurs lives hell on D, and he's not the defensive turnstile Kidd would be at PG.

That would make Portland nasty too, especially with Oden next year.

stretch
01-30-2008, 04:14 PM

WOW

Now that would be a trade I'm definitely interested in. Especially if the Nets were to buy Stackhouse out, as it suggests, and we could re-sign him.

stretch
01-30-2008, 04:24 PM
Kidd couldn't guard Parker at all 5 years ago (the Nets had to switch Kittles onto Parker after the way TP scored at will on Kidd in games 1 and 2)
And then he proceed to play like complete garbage the next three games.

Plus, Kidd never really had a center behind him that could allow him to play more aggressively. I think having Damp and Diop behind him would help his defense. Besides, I think that the Mavericks defense on Parker is good more because of the system, as opposed to Harris. Harris does a good job of resisting Parker from driving as easily, but I see Parker miss more layups against Dallas than any other team, and thats because they force him to drive straight to the basket, and block his passing lanes, funneling him into Diop, and forcing him to try to take a bad layup. Most of Parker's points against Dallas nowadays comes solely on fast-breaks. But as a team, they pretty much shut him down in half-court sets.

DazedAndConfused
01-30-2008, 04:26 PM
Portland gets raped in that deal though. Channing Frye, Jarret Jack, Outlaw for Devin Harris? Harris is a good player......but he ain't that good.

ludda
01-30-2008, 04:36 PM
As a spurs fan, I also hope Dallas does that deal. Not b/c I think harris is the shit or anything, but mostly b/c I think PG is not an area of weakness for them and b/c Kidd's effect is vastly overrated by most media who hail him as the Great Saviour.

baseline bum
01-30-2008, 04:52 PM
And then he proceed to play like complete garbage the next three games.

Jason Terry isn't Kerry Kittles defensively, and Tony Parker is a much better player now than he was in 03.

Plus, Kidd never really had a center behind him that could allow him to play more aggressively.

He had Kenyon Martin and Dikembe Mutombo behind him in that series.

I think having Damp and Diop behind him would help his defense. Besides, I think that the Mavericks defense on Parker is good more because of the system, as opposed to Harris. Harris does a good job of resisting Parker from driving as easily, but I see Parker miss more layups against Dallas than any other team, and thats because they force him to drive straight to the basket, and block his passing lanes, funneling him into Diop, and forcing him to try to take a bad layup. Most of Parker's points against Dallas nowadays comes solely on fast-breaks. But as a team, they pretty much shut him down in half-court sets.

If Martin and Mutombo couldn't cover a 29 year-old Kidd's weaknesses, how are Diop and Dampier going to cover for a 34 year-old Kidd?

Man, I hope this trade goes down.

stretch
01-30-2008, 05:03 PM
Jason Terry isn't Kerry Kittles defensively, and Tony Parker is a much better player now than he was in 03.

Okay... but what does Jason Terry have to do with anything?

He had Kenyon Martin and Dikembe Mutombo behind him in that series. If Martin and Mutombo couldn't cover a 29 year-old Kidd's weaknesses, how are Diop and Dampier going to cover for a 34 year-old Kidd?

Mutumbo was old, washed up, hurt all year, and the only thing he did well at that time was block shots. K-Mart is only 6-9 and plays SF/PF. Major difference. Diop/Damp's defense > Mutumbo/K-Mart's defense. Plus, Dallas has a much better system than any team in the league at containing TP.

Man, I hope this trade goes down.

So do I. Unfortunately, not for the same reasons, as your reasons are incredibly skewed and flawed.

baseline bum
01-30-2008, 08:08 PM
Okay... but what does Jason Terry have to do with anything?

Looks like Terry will have to be your go-to guy to guard Parker when Kidd's getting his ass handed to him.

Mutumbo was old, washed up, hurt all year, and the only thing he did well at that time was block shots. K-Mart is only 6-9 and plays SF/PF. Major difference. Diop/Damp's defense > Mutumbo/K-Mart's defense. Plus, Dallas has a much better system than any team in the league at containing TP.

Dampier's washed up and old too. Diop's no better a shotblocker than Martin was in that series.

Kidd is badly overrated now. He's done. He can't shoot at all. He's a horrible option to have trying to guard players like Tony Parker, Chris Paul, or Steve Nash. Dallas would be insane to trade a young two-way player who actually has a jump shot and shreds the defense of his major rival for Kidd's post-glory years.

td4mvp21
01-30-2008, 09:34 PM
Yeah, if Dallas gives up Stackhouse and Harris, I feel much better about our chances against them, assuming everyone is healthy and we meet in the playoffs. Sure, they can still beat us and will be hard for us to beat, but that eases the matchup a little bit in my opinion. Harris and Stackhouse play good against us. Plus, Harris actually defends Parker better than any of us thought. Kidd cannot defend a healthy Parker. He just can't. He does give Dallas a true point guard and his fast-paced style should fit right in with players like Howard and Dirk, who like to shoot on the break. He is a good rebounder, too. I think this makes Dallas about the same overall really. I think it eases the matchup problems against us.

Armando
01-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Does Cleveland even have anyone the Nets would want. They are not giving up Kidd for a Boobie.

ludda
01-30-2008, 09:57 PM
I dont think the rumors have any legs beyond that: for one why is there a need for Portland to be involved, they are not giving up Jack, Frye and Outlaw for essentially Harris. Makes no sense. And if Nets aren't getting back Jack and Outlaw-caliber types, why the fuck would they do this deal.

peskypesky
01-30-2008, 10:32 PM
Doesn't it seem like it's getting harder and harder to make trades? It appears almost impossible. Seems like free agency is the only way to get vets these days.

Armando
01-30-2008, 10:34 PM
Doesn't it seem like it's getting harder and harder to make trades? It appears almost impossible. Seems like free agency is the only way to get vets these days.

I know that Miami has been shopping Shaq for picks and young players but so far no one has bit. 2 years coming off the title almost any team would have jumped at a chance at Shaq.

peskypesky
01-30-2008, 10:40 PM
I know that Miami has been shopping Shaq for picks and young players but so far no one has bit. 2 years coming off the title almost any team would have jumped at a chance at Shaq.

Wow. Hard to believe that the day has come...when a team has trouble mustering interest in Shaquille O'Neal. Time waits for no one...

Armando
01-30-2008, 10:46 PM
Wow. Hard to believe that the day has come...when a team has trouble mustering interest in Shaquille O'Neal. Time waits for no one...

Is sad really but it is what is.