PDA

View Full Version : it's still early, but Beasley vs. Durant

K-State Spur
01-27-2008, 11:52 AM
discuss.

a lot of people laughed at Frank Martin when he said that he felt Beasley could have the same type of impact on this conference that Durant did. I was one of those who believed that Durant was a once in a generation type of player for this conference.

But that statement isn't looking so silly now.

From a Statistical Standpoint:

Durant averaged .5 more PPG than Beasley is. Beasley shoots almost 10 points higher from the field, 2 points less from 3, and 8 points lower from the stripe. Beasley averages almost 2 more boards per game, Durant had more blocks and assists per game.

It should also be kept in mind that Durant accumulated his numbers while playing 6 more minutes per game than Beasley has.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-27-2008, 01:49 PM
It's very difficult to do, because noone except sportswriters have seen both closely. I haven't seen much of this guy, except 1 game, and you probably never saw too much of durant start to finish.

His minutes aren't a good indicator because durant was notorious for slowing down at the end of games, and being very passive offensively and defensively.
But I seriously doubt Beasely has as much of a polished overall offensive game as Durant did, I could be wrong though.

One thing is for damn sure, the big twelve is getting mad talent now. It's a shame early NBA entry will never allow a big twelve team to win the title, except the freak program known as KU.

K-State Spur
01-27-2008, 02:11 PM
i actually watched quite a bit of durant last year, and caught all but one or two beasley games this year.

it depends on what you mean by "polished." he certainly does not have Durant's shot (that truly was once in a generation), but he tries to make up for it by being better around the rim and on the block.

beasley can actually get a little passive on the offensive end as well (he's actually averaging less shots/game than durant), but since conference play has started, he's gotten more aggressive and the cats have benefitted from it.

i think beasley is a competent defender (which in my humble opinion puts him above durant who I considered to be below average).

i don't really think one is better than the other, they both had an impact that is immeasurable to their respective schools. i'm actually more a little curious to see if there are any horn fans that would call heresy at the comparison even being made (I don't remember if it was even mentioned on this board, but I do have some Texas friends that called to rip my ass when they saw Frank Martin's quote).

Cant_Be_Faded
01-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Durant's offensive game was polished in that he had several go-to moves as an 18 year old, that he rarely missed.

But his defense was lackluster, i agree.

dallaskd
01-27-2008, 05:08 PM
Beasley is gonna do something durant couldnt...win the cats a big 12 title. i think we might be a sleeper this year if we didnt have the injuries, but if state can get hot...lookout.

sorry...off topic.

K-State Spur
01-27-2008, 06:08 PM
Beasley is gonna do something durant couldnt...win the cats a big 12 title. i think we might be a sleeper this year if we didnt have the injuries, but if state can get hot...lookout.

sorry...off topic.

i like the way the team is playing as is, but man, they could have been really scary with hoskins.

Herschel Walker
01-27-2008, 09:08 PM
How is KState beating KU for the title? Not gonna happen this year, and Beasly's a one a done NBA lottery pick. If he's luke Durant he'll get you upset in the 2nd round of the NCAAs

Brutalis
01-27-2008, 09:21 PM
Durant needs to put on some weight bad.

K-State Spur
01-27-2008, 09:28 PM
How is KState beating KU for the title? Not gonna happen this year, and Beasly's a one a done NBA lottery pick. If he's luke Durant he'll get you upset in the 2nd round of the NCAAs

Find out a lot about that on Wednesday.

SrA Husker
01-27-2008, 11:20 PM

I laugh at any Beasley talk after he's dumb enough to say "We're going to beat Kansas at home. We're going to beat them their house. We're going to beat them in Africa. Wherever we play, we're going to beat them"

K-State Spur
01-27-2008, 11:31 PM
I laugh at any Beasley talk after he's dumb enough to say "We're going to beat Kansas at home. We're going to beat them their house. We're going to beat them in Africa. Wherever we play, we're going to beat them"

I don't think it was that "dumb." Half of what he says is an attempt to be humorous, some of which shows up better in print than other.

As for bulletin board material, KU will be plenty ready for this game as is, so I'm not worried that they were going to be overlooking the Cats until Beasley got them to focus.

As for a little cockiness, I hope he has it. One of the main issues with the streak in Manhattan has been belief. KU has had some past KSU teams before they even stepped on the floor because the Cats haven't believed that they have a chance.

As long as Beasley/Walker truly believe that they can beat the Hawks, I don't really care what they say. Keeping quiet and showing KU respect certainly hasn't helped much over the past 25 years.

Doug Collins
01-28-2008, 11:35 AM

As a young team I think it'll be difficult for them to limit their turnovers enough to give themselves a chance. State certainly has the talent, but I don't know if they can hold it together for an entire 40 minutes against KU's d. If they hang around going into the final minutes, we all know how KU deals with pressure...

K-State Spur
01-28-2008, 12:46 PM
Beasley is starting to get the Durant treatment where he is only receiving Big 12 Rookie of the Week Honors (or none at all) because the media doesn't want him to win Big 12 POW ever time.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-25-2008, 11:28 PM
Durant prays to the gods every night that he could rebound and muthle people around like Beasley can.