PDA

View Full Version : Mark Cuban on TV right now.

Truthsayer
08-05-2003, 09:12 PM
CNN

ducks
08-05-2003, 09:13 PM
what is he spouting off now

he surely did not sign a fa yet

Truthsayer
08-05-2003, 09:22 PM
He was on trying to defend his stupid and crass remark that the Kobe debacle would be profitable for the NBA.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-06-2003, 02:16 AM
You know, at first I thought he was just being same old stupid ass Cuban, and in part trying to take the media luster off the fact that his team didn't do jack to improve this summer.

But I just watched him be a dick to Dan Patrick on ESPN about all this (in response to the commissioner's retort to Cuban's original comments) and I can now say without hesitancy that he is one of the biggest assholes in pro sports (and that's saying something - there's a lot of them).

AHF

KoriEllis
08-06-2003, 02:59 AM
Stern blasts Cuban for Bryant remarks
By Associated Press
August 6, 2003

NBA commissioner David Stern criticized Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban on Tuesday after Cuban said the league can't help but benefit financially from the Kobe Bryant sexual assault case.

"Any suggestion that there will be some economic or promotional benefit to the NBA arising from the charge pending against Kobe Bryant is both misinformed and unseemly," Stern said in a statement issued by the league office.

"That idea does not reflect the views of the NBA, NBA owners generally, or others associated with our sport," Stern said.

Cuban, the most outspoken of the league's 29 owners, has said the NBA is bound to get an economic boost when Bryant returns to the court for the Los Angeles Lakers because it will draw the interest of casual fans and non-fans.

Bryant is due to appear in court today in Eagle, Colo., where he will be formally informed of the charges against him.

Cuban appeared on the television show "Inside Edition" on Monday night and said of the case: "From a business perspective, it's great for the NBA. It's reality television, people love train wreck television and you hate to admit it, but that is the truth, that's the reality today."

He made similar comments to The Associated Press for an article published last week, and he expounded on his belief Tuesday in a 35-minute radio interview in New York and in an e-mail.

"From a business perspective, the unfortunate reality is that in this country notoriety sells. You only need to look at Mike Tyson as the No. 1 draw in boxing as proof," Cuban wrote. "I went back and tried to find examples in the entertainment business where it hurt. I couldn't."

Ghost Writer
08-06-2003, 10:31 AM
Everything Cuban said was 100% correct, if you cretins took the time to consider the rest of his remarks in context.

The NBA will see a financial gain initially from the Kobe ordeal, but the long-term effects will be negative.

Cuban speaks the truth.

:cooldevil

MannyIsGod
08-06-2003, 10:35 AM
Damn, everyone complains about everything being PC, and when the man speaks his mind and says something that actually makes sense, and gets blasted for it.

Whatever, as if this shit hasn't gotten everyones fucking attention around the world.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-06-2003, 10:56 AM
Hey, I agreed with his initial comments, but he looked like a real prick when he and Dan Patrick were talking.

Cuban needs to be out finding a big man, not playing a closet sociologist/psychologist.

AHF

MannyIsGod
08-06-2003, 10:58 AM
The problem is that anyone with even a slight but of notieriety has mics in their faces just waiting to catch something a tad bit contriversial.

Gotta love the fucking media.

I'm in a cynical mood this morning, **** it.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-06-2003, 11:07 AM
Perhaps Cuban should have taken a cue from Allen Iverson and said "no comment."

:Q

AHF

Walton Buys Off Me
08-06-2003, 11:26 AM
Cuban's comments fall on 'muted' ears in today's holier-than-thou politically sanitized society. While I completely agree with what he said, as an NBA owner- it wasn't the time nor the place.

TwoHandJam
08-06-2003, 11:30 AM
Stern is just saying what is politcally correct for such a situation. He knows damn well it'll help the NBA's visibility at least in the short term but he can't just come out and say that. He can't even flirt with the possibility it might be beneficial or he'd get blasted.

All things considered, it would be nice to see him get blasted though.

:flipoff Stern.

Ghost Writer
08-06-2003, 11:37 AM
As an owner of an NBA team, Cuban has every right to discuss the financial implications of the Kobe trial when prompted to respond, Aggie. This is not Nazi Germany, pal.

theballaplaya
08-06-2003, 11:44 AM
I agree about the train wreck statement. That is what people want. They want to see the top fall and the bottom rise.

As far as the NBA making more money, I dunno about that, but people will be tuning in...

to the:

LA Rapers

Walton Buys Off Me
08-06-2003, 11:56 AM
Ghost, this is an alleged sexual assault here, this isn't a guy getting caught playing Dominos. For an NBA owner to make statements about profitability as it relates to the case- is dumb, plain and simple.

As I said, I agree with what he said, but someone in his position needs to more responsible.

ducks
08-06-2003, 12:02 PM
It might be true short term. But he should have not said a what he did. His act is getting old.

Ghost Writer
08-06-2003, 12:06 PM
Why?

Kobe committed the crime. Cuban did not.

Cuban never endorsed Kobe's actions or suggested the NBA use the case opportunistically.

You people are reading into it what you want and overreacting as most simpletons tend to do regarding sensitive topics.

TwoHandJam
08-06-2003, 12:27 PM
Why?

Kobe committed the crime. Cuban did not.

Cuban never endorsed Kobe's actions or suggested the NBA use the case opportunistically.

You people are reading into it what you want and overreacting as most simpletons tend to do regarding sensitive topics.Jesus Ghost, don't be such an idiot. You and Cuban are kindred spirits in that you both love to be sensationalist and contrarian.

From a business perspective, it's great for the NBA. It's reality television, people love train wreck television and you hate to admit it, but that is the truth, that's the reality today.You don't say something like that to the teeming masses. Although it's true, it's political dynamite and doesn't help the league's image.

Christ, even borderline psycho Don King didn't come out and say it might be good for business when Tyson was accused. Buy a clue.

gospurs21
08-06-2003, 12:47 PM
GW,
let me explain it to you since it is obvious you were never taugh any manners.

Cuban's comments are on par with people who sell serial murderers paintings on e-bay. Cuban seems delighted to make money off of someone elses misery.

If you agree with that then you are sic. Let us all join GW in the dumbing down of america, as long as it serves the almighty dollar, it's all good. Pathetic.

Go Spurs....

Ghost Writer
08-06-2003, 12:52 PM
2Hand and gospurs, from a business perspective, the Kobe case is indded good for NBA business in the short term.

Cuban has more money than he can deal with, so I doubt he is greddily anticipating to cash in of Kob'e trial.

You are suffering from misdirected anger.

Blame society for loving these train wrecks.

Blame Kobe for allegedly raping that girl.

Cuban told the truth. Deal with it.

Holy Sith
08-06-2003, 12:53 PM
Im sorry folks. Cuban and Ghost are right.

People who never watch the NBA will watch now. People who
want to see who Kobe is will now see who he is. TV
ratings will go up initially. This means more advertisments
which means more $$.

If some of you think he is wrong...I encourage you to
prove this wrong.

Sith

TwoHandJam
08-06-2003, 02:15 PM
Wake up and read the posts. We are agreeing that it will boost interest in the NBA at least in the short term. The point is that Cuban shouldn't have aired his thoughts so publicly as its a very sensitive topic for most. Right thoughts, wrong forum, dig?

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-06-2003, 02:49 PM
My point is that this was neither the time or the place for Cuban to make a comment like this.

And to look at it with a big picture perspective:

Baseball started going down the shitter when it became clear via people's words and actions that it was all about the money and not the fan.

Now you have an owner saying "it's great that Kobe's being accused of rape, that will drive up business IMO". Not exactly what the NBA needs right now when people are coming down on them about television and marketing, NBATV, etc.

Whether he was right or not in his observation, let's just leave it at the conclusion that he lacked a lot of tact on this one.

AHF

2Cleva
08-06-2003, 02:50 PM
Cuban is just saying those comments because Kobe isn't on his team.

When Nash was speaking out against the war, Cuban was quick to impose a gag order. You would think he would want the publicity...

Ghost Writer
08-06-2003, 04:15 PM
Aggie, Cuban predicated his view by saying "I hate to say it, but..."

He is not happy about the Kobe situation.

Again, get mad at Kobe or society for loving sleaze fests. Don't hate on Cuban for telling it like it is.

timvp
08-06-2003, 05:31 PM
Cuban might be a switch-hitter (maybe just left handed), but he was right.

The NBA will make money off of the Kobe case. More people will be tuned into the NBA after they finish watching Courtv. More people will go out and buy Kobe jerseys. More people will go to games when Kobe is in town.

I don't even see a long-term negative effect. The American public always forgives. Kobe probably won't go to jail and will be more loved than he ever was in a couple season.

The NBA will be better for it.

Sad to say.

ducks
08-06-2003, 05:36 PM
I disagree more people will NOT buy a kobe jersey because of this. laker games were sold out most of the time for road games anyhow IMO.
I will say this though they may make buying single laker vs hometown games impossible to buy though.

and what happens if kobe does go to jail??????????

noone said tyson would.

ducks
08-06-2003, 08:15 PM
Cuban's views about Kobe Bryant's case disgusting

Does anybody out there realize Kobe Bryant could go to prison for a very long time?
It sounds like a silly question, given the dozens of KOBE All-Talk Radio stations now operating West of the Mississippi. Not to mention the hundreds of insta-polls circulating on the Internet, the thousands of legal experts who've weighed in on cable television and the millions of words that have appeared in newspapers and magazines.
Obscured in the information avalanche from Colorado, where Bryant will appear today to hear the charges against him, is the possibility the NBA's most exciting player someday could walk out of a courtroom in handcuffs. Because if there's a trial, and Kobe Bryant loses, he'll be slapped with a prison sentence that'll be measured not in mere weeks or months.
The notion of Bryant spending the best years of his life behind thick bars and tall walls should trouble NBA fans and scare NBA owners, but it's as if those who profess to care about the sport are dwelling on everything about the case but the sobering repercussions of a guilty verdict.
The other day, Mark Cuban, Dallas owner/cheerleader, appeared on one of those syndicated entertainment-gossip shows that are the equivalent of a checkout-line tabloid (albeit without the occasional photo spread of Saddam Hussein strolling about a palatial palm court in an evening gown, or exclusive details on the aliens threatening to kidnap Oprah).
Pronouncing his words with a clarity that removed any suspicions he was under the influence of an industrial-strength pain medicine when the camera zoomed in on him, Cuban - a smart man and a brilliant self-promoter - put a positive spin on the Bryant case.
"From a business perspective," he said, "it's great for the NBA. It's reality TV. People love train-wreck television, and you hate to admit it, but that is the truth that is the reality today."
Am I missing something? A telegenic athlete marketed as both a transcendent talent and a model citizen is charged with the sexual assault of a teenager ... and it's "great" from an NBA business perspective?
Hello? According to this spackleheaded logic, the saga of a superstar implicated in an ax slaying would be even more preferable to the Kobe Bryant mess.
Because, hey, as riveting as a train wreck is on television, it can't compare to the who-done-it mystery of a train murder.
Right, Cubes?
I suspect the basketball fan in Mark Cuban envisions Lakers games next season as must-see events, as if any team boasting a starting lineup including Shaquille O'Neal, Gary Payton, Karl Malone and Bryant wouldn't be a must-see attraction, anyway.
I suspect the basketball fan in Cuban is thinking of the buzz that'll accompany wherever the schedule takes them.
Hoo boy, and won't that be fun. Six months of live-remote updates on the evening news, featuring TV reporters standing in front of an arena and saying: "Joan and Lance, the Lakers' bus arrived here 45 minutes ago, and Kobe Bryant had no comment" - cut to a tape of Bryant exiting a bus and walking past several television cameras - "as he made his way to the visitors' entrance on the south side of the building. Back to you, Joan and Lance."
One of these evening-news updates would be enough to feed a gossip-starved nation of 275 million for two months, but they'll become as indigenous to the NBA experience as the flurry of timeouts during the final few seconds of a close game.
At least league commissioner David Stern quickly took Cuban to task for his remarks, not that he isn't practiced in his dealings with the outspoken maverick who owns the Mavericks.
Said the aptly named Stern: "Any suggestion that there will be some economic or promotional benefit to the NBA arising from the charges pending against Kobe Bryant is both misinformed and unseemly."
Unseemly. A great word, one that allows us a rare glimpse into what a league commissioner does when a legal crisis with unprecedented repercussions erupts during the summer. (He pages through the thesaurus on his desk.)
Speaking of unseemly - a tasteful way of saying, "That's in bad taste!" - Bryant will be seen on Fox TV tonight accepting the Favorite Athlete trophy at the Teen Choice Awards. Evidently, he is taking his agents' advice to spend the rest of his summer as usual, which for Kobe Bryant means attending awards shows and going to jewelry stores to purchase $4 million rings for the wife he betrayed.
It's bad advice. True, Bryant is free to live his life however he wants to, but a man charged with sexually assaulting a teenager is a man who should find an excuse to miss the Teen Choice Awards.
For the record, the accusations against Kobe Bryant were made more than a month ago; this is the first time I've confronted the subject. I don't know the facts, and nobody else who wasn't there in the hotel room that night does either. So my thinking has been: It's none of my business.
But I find the cavalier response to the gravity of the situation a little bit bizarre. The focus has been on the courtroom as a media circus, or how the case will affect the marketing arm of the NBA.
Nobody is acknowledging the possibility that Kobe Bryant could go to prison for a long time. This is neither a wish, nor an attempt to infuse some hyperbole into an outrageously public discussion.
It is simply a fact.
As for Mark Cuban and how he sees the box-office benefits of a pending sexual assault charge?
That's a fact, too.
He gives me the creeps. scoop (http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/basketball/article/0,1651,TCP_1190_2163225,00.html)

Ghost Writer
08-07-2003, 10:53 AM
:sleep

You brothas get so emotional. You remind me of my b1tch.

What Cuban said is true.

What you simpletons project on top of that is inconsequential.

If you focus on Cuban's words, he is right.

Your feeling regarding the crime should be directed towards Kobe.

Think rationally.

If an anchor for Court TV remarked that the OJ Simpson case would increase his network's ratings, would you be offended? Don't confuse the crime with a correct observation.

TwoHandJam
08-07-2003, 11:59 AM
If an anchor for Court TV remarked that the OJ Simpson case would increase his network's ratings, would you be offended?
Picture Kidman's body after being brutally knifed to death. Her grief sticken parents in tears. Now cut to a court TV reporter blithely saying the case will increase his ratings.

True? Yes. Tactless. Yes.

It's not that hard to comprehend you dullard.

Ghost Writer
08-07-2003, 12:26 PM
Did Cuban aggressively have sexual intercourse with the hotell attendee?

TwoHandJam
08-07-2003, 02:46 PM
Yes. Yes he did, and that's exactly my point. :rolleyes

You look to the media for validation. One article was able to sway your thinking on the Spurs offseason enough for you to start the "We're better" thread.

The article Ducks posted apparently didn't strike your fancy though. Interesting. However it jives with how some feel about Cuban's statements, myself included.

Move on Ghost, if you can't understand my simple point by now then you're thicker than I thought.

Holy Sith
08-07-2003, 03:13 PM
People like watching stars fall from grace. People like
contraversy, and people LOVE trials.

OJ, Wynona Rider, now Kobe.

The proof is there to back up what Mark Cuban has said.

Prove it wrong with strong data, not opinions.

It's funny to see "thick" people calling Cuban, or those who
agree with him "thick."

Sith

Ghost Writer
08-07-2003, 03:52 PM
2Hand, you have no point.,

you are offended by a factual statement by Cuban.

that's your own f'n problem.

Take out your anger on Kobe or stop being a sensitive little biyatch.

I make my own opinions. That SportsIllustrated article helped me see the optimisitc side to this offseason, but nowhere did I write I was convinced that we are better.

KoriEllis
08-07-2003, 03:57 PM
Picture Kidman's body after being brutally knifed to death

:wtf

Who is Kidman?

Do you mean Nicole Brown-Simpson?

TwoHandJam
08-07-2003, 05:38 PM
:rollin

Ha! Talk about a Freudian slip there! Good catch Kori, wrong Nicole indeed. I meant Brown of course.

*takes mind out of the gutter*

TwoHandJam
08-07-2003, 05:53 PM
2Hand, you have no point.,

you are offended by a factual statement by Cuban.

that's your own f'n problem.

Take out your anger on Kobe or stop being a sensitive little biyatch.

I make my own opinions. That SportsIllustrated article helped me see the optimisitc side to this offseason, but nowhere did I write I was convinced that we are better.

Pipe down my little conceited one. There's no anger on my part about Cuban as you would like to fabricate. I think he's tactless, that's all. The fact that his statements were true is undisputed and isn't the issue here. I've reiterated this in practically every post in this topic.

Pause. Read. Understand. This means you too, Sith.

I just don't enjoy the mass slander you throw up on this forum when people don't agree with your opinion. I present exhibit A:
What you simpletons project on top of that is inconsequential.Grow up a little, eh? It would make things more pleasant around here.

TwoHandJam
08-07-2003, 06:10 PM
BTW Ghost although it might be hard to wrap you mind around, it is possible to have a factual statement be offensive.

For example, if you had a sister and she was a real hottie, I could say that I would love to strap a saddle on her and have rodeo sex. It might well be the truth, right?

Now imagine me voicing this opinion in a public forum. You might possibly feel a little like the victim's parents in the Kobe case no? I'm sure they were thrilled with Cuban's offhand remarks.

Tactless. That's all.

Walton Buys Off Me
08-08-2003, 01:55 AM
Another example of something being true but completely innapropriate when voiced in a public forum are the comments made by Tony Parker earlier this summer as it relates to the entire Jason Kidd fiasco.

True, but not meant to be aired to the masses.

Is Mark Cuban dedicated to improving his team and winning in Dallas? Yes!

Is Mark Cuban an outspoken moron that oftentimes resembles a twelve year-old? Yes!

Ghost Writer
08-08-2003, 11:26 AM
You people need o toughen up.

again, direct your horror to Kobe, not someone who made a factual statement based on the situation.

Pvssies.

Archie
08-08-2003, 02:03 PM
You brothas get so emotional. You remind me of my b1tch.

Your "b1tch"? I guess you and he take turns now, eh?

Ghost Writer
08-08-2003, 02:38 PM
Well if it isn;t Archie, the Queen B of 'em all. How's that switchhittin' goin', Arch?