PDA

View Full Version : The big loss from the Hornets: Where are we today???

Manu_Ginobili
01-27-2008, 09:10 PM
The big loss from the Hornets: Where are we today??? ...totally outplayed, the Spurs LOST. The Hornets are the hottest team in the WEST, and they are for REAL!!! No need to panic though...

The good news "somewhat" is that Pop played 'BIG' this time and LOST the game for the simple reason - Tim Duncan had only 5pts in the 2nd half, Manu couldn't make a shot, the 3s were terrible - just 11% from the field, so it is FAIR to say, the defense ONLY CANNOT WIN A TITLE - YOU NEED SOME OFFENSE AS WELL...basically, I wouldn't want to play the Hornets this year in the Playoffs - peja is the same old one we know. WEST just killed us...

The SPURS HAVE LONG WAY TO GO to catch up these guys, the problem is Popovich is playing only Oberto, Horry and Duncan as BIG GUYS, and this will be a problem for us...Timmy finally catched up tired after his monster performances before - this is usually what happens when you play a 'small ball' for so long, Timmy just didn't have the power today to carry the Spurs in the 2nd half, that is WHY if Popovich keeps playing him "small ball", Timmy will be tired in crunch times and in clutch games...too bad...

Fellows, last night we saw the probable Playoff team. Pop (HOPEFULLY!) finished with the experiments (I hope), and I AM SURE he Discovered that playing a "small ball" won't win him a repeat, so he gave Oberto 28 min. last night. Horry also got his Playoff minutes, and Timmy was moved at the low post...WAY TO GO. Elson sits for good, it means clearly (after Mahinmi was announced to play during the Rodeo trip!), Elson is DONE with the Spurs...As I said before, hopefully, next year's center will be the Brazilian Draft (promising center!!!) Tiago Splitter, who currently plays in Europe and has an excellent season!!! The guy is very good - I watched him LIVE in Euroleague 2 times already against PAO and a French team, and we only have to be sorry that he is not here TODAY to help Timmy - the kid could score, REBOUND "BIG", and block too...I would imagine if Mahinmi establishes himself as a blocker and BIG rebounder as well in upcoming 2-3 years, then Tiago, Mahinmi, Timmy and Oberto, plus Bonner will make an excellent-unbeatable 5 upfront!!! but, this needs time, and we need the repeat THIS YEAR!!!
In any event, last night we saw the probable Playoff team, only Barry was missing, and Bonner didn't get his minutes (???); Horry actually did better than expected in defense and some great DUNK in offense.
Udoka is playing just excellent (!!!), he is the next 'Bruce', Finley and Bowen are underperforming and without them giving 100% the Spurs will have a hard time winning games - last night Finley and Bowen gave us ZERO offense!!!).
So, what needs to improve?
Vaughn is out of shape
Bowen is out of shape
Finley is out of shape
These 3 have to step up NOW and increase their contribution by at least 50%!!!
Tony is not 100% and not even close to his Playoff-MVP form - he needs to step up as well!
Manu is fine (he is actually in much better shape this year compare to last year, as he will "win the 6th man award of the year", and hopefully make the all-star team!!!
Bonner - Give Bonner his minutes and setup plays for 3s for him!
Horry - will be fine for a Playoff time - last night he showed very good signs that he is still the "old Robert" for the time he played -he needs to improve his shot, though...
Barry has to heal quickly - without him, they will be no repeat this year! Please, get healthy!
Udoka – he is just excellent currently – give him a playing time!
Elson- if Elson won't play any longer, then we need extra BIG GUY to help - Mahinmi for Elson (???) - I hope Mahinmi will establish a good case before Pop during the Rodeo Trip and Pop could give him a "slot" in the Playoff roster instead of Elson, who is expected to seat the Playoffs anyway (if Pop doesn't start playing him again soon!!!)

The Spurs needed a BIG LOSS like the one last night to see where they are vs. the HOTTEST team in the WEST. I believe the loss was also due to a little underestimation - we knew they were good, BUT NOT THAT GOOD as they showed - they simply killed us!!! So, adjustments will be made, I am sure, and hopefully next time we are going to do better vs. those guys!!! Our perimeter shooters MUST hit the 3-pt shots when they are open!!! This is part of the Spurs basketball...

Having said the above, I believe that as long as Pop stays "BIG" and keep Timmy at the low post, we have a chance to repeat!!!

GO SPURS!!!
:madrun :madrun :madrun

ChumpDumper
01-27-2008, 09:10 PM
I'm sensing a theme in your posts.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-27-2008, 09:13 PM
Bowen is out of shape
I chuckled.

ClingingMars
01-27-2008, 09:15 PM
Ginobili DID NOT PLAY WELL. A decent post other than that blatant Ginobili homerism.

-Mars

MaNu4Tres
01-27-2008, 09:53 PM
Is it just me or has Ginobili has been taking a lot more ill-advised, fadaway pull up jumpers lately. It seems like when hes not getting his calls inside he tends to drift outside and falls in love with a contested fading outside pull up.

exstatic
01-27-2008, 10:03 PM
I chuckled.
I LOLd. Bowen would probably have this fool puking in about five minutes in a series of suicides.

SenorSpur
01-28-2008, 02:48 AM
Is it just me or has Ginobili has been taking a lot more ill-advised, fadaway pull up jumpers lately. It seems like when hes not getting his calls inside he tends to drift outside and falls in love with a contested fading outside pull up.

It's very evident. He has a tendency to keep "chucking up" three balls even when it's obvious that his range is off on a particular night. I'd rather see him move in a bit closer and take more midrange shots or drive to the cup more when he's struggling. Once he's gotten a few easier baskets, then move back out to the perimeter.

ancestron
01-28-2008, 09:32 AM
After about 3 minutes into the 4th quarter, this game became unwatchable. These games happen. It reminded me of game 2 against Phoenix in the playoffs last year, or game 3 against the Jazz.
Both blowout losses.
This was probably the best thing that could have happened to the Spurs right now.
A big ol' slice of humble pie.