PDA

View Full Version : Bedard to the Mariners

Melmart1
01-27-2008, 09:19 PM
http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/mariners/2008/01/bedardjones_deal_going_down.html

According to Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times:

UPDATE (4:47 p.m.): I just spoke to Mariners spokesman Tim Hevley, who confirmed Jones has been called back to the U.S. Hevley said he could not comment further, which more or less tells us Jones is about to be dealt because major league clubs do not stiff winter league teams as badly as Seattle just did without a darned good reason. If Jones was hurt, the M's would say so. Anyway, Jones himself is saying what the M's won't. The winter league team's manager, none other than Luis Sojo, has also confirmed Jones if off to Baltimore for a physical.

Wonder who else they are sending to Baltimore in exchange for Bedard.

As a Rangers fan, it worries me that the M's will have a 1-2 punch like Bedard and King Felix. However, the fact that a stud like Adam Jones won't be in the AL West is nice.

Giving it more thought, the only way this is really impactful for Seattle is if they sign Bedard to an extension. My reasoning is that Seattle isn't going anywhere this season -- their batting order sucks ass and they have some bloated contracts they need to get rid of before they can make a run. Their first-half surge last season was a fluke, imho.

Let's see who else they send. If they mortgaged too much for two years of Bedard, this could actually be a bad trade. The jury is still out.

K-State Spur
01-27-2008, 09:30 PM
Jones, Clement, Sherrill (and possibly Truinfedel (sic)) was a rumored deal between the two a couple of weeks ago.

I've heard so many on again/off again rumors regarding Bedards to the M's and Roberts to the Cubs that I'm trying not to get too excited until it's a done deal.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-27-2008, 11:14 PM
http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/mariners/2008/01/bedardjones_deal_going_down.html

According to Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times:

Wonder who else they are sending to Baltimore in exchange for Bedard.

As a Rangers fan, it worries me that the M's will have a 1-2 punch like Bedard and King Felix. However, the fact that a stud like Adam Jones won't be in the AL West is nice.

Giving it more thought, the only way this is really impactful for Seattle is if they sign Bedard to an extension. My reasoning is that Seattle isn't going anywhere this season -- their batting order sucks ass and they have some bloated contracts they need to get rid of before they can make a run. Their first-half surge last season was a fluke, imho.

Let's see who else they send. If they mortgaged too much for two years of Bedard, this could actually be a bad trade. The jury is still out.

Here's hoping the O's decided to take Beltre and/or Sexson off our ass.

K-State Spur
01-27-2008, 11:34 PM
Here's hoping the O's decided to take Beltre and/or Sexson off our ass.

You'd have to throw in another prospect along with them to get the O's to take on those salaries.

K-State Spur
01-27-2008, 11:45 PM
Here's the rumored Bedard Package:

Adam Jones: 21 years old, Mariners #1 prospect in 2006, .968 OPS in AAA in 2007

Chris Tillman: 19 years old, Mariners #8 prospect in 2006, 5-6 w/ 5.61 ERA and 9.2 K/9 at A+ in 2007

George Sherrill: 30 years old, good left handed reliever for the M's last year

Tony Butler: 19 years old, Mariners #4 prospect in 2006, 4-7 w/ 4.75 ERA at A in 2007

Kameron Mickolio: 23 years old, 3-3 w/ 3.75 ERA and 10.5 K/9 at AAA in 2007.

Gotta be honest, looks like a steal for the M's. Getting one of the best left-handers in baseball and the only thing of real significance that they are giving up is Jones. I'm not really sure I like this one at all. I'd rather get one other high end prospect vs. the 4 pitchers the M's have included.

sribb43
01-28-2008, 09:49 AM
Rangers now are offically the worst team in the AL West for the 2008 season if this trade does happen....Rangers shouldnt even take the field next year, just take the season off

Thunder Dan
01-28-2008, 10:00 AM
that sucks. I hate how in baseball there is less and less parity each year. Every year the bad and fringe teams trade their best players to the good teams, and the cycle continues every year. This is my major beef with baseball. They always talk about 'rebuilding' but that just means they will develop a guy to trade in 3 years when he gets good. I get that Baltimore has a tough division, but you should atleast try to win it.

DOMINATOR
01-28-2008, 11:01 AM
that sucks. I hate how in baseball there is less and less parity each year. Every year the bad and fringe teams trade their best players to the good teams, and the cycle continues every year. This is my major beef with baseball. They always talk about 'rebuilding' but that just means they will develop a guy to trade in 3 years when he gets good. I get that Baltimore has a tough division, but you should atleast try to win it.
its called moneyball. baltimore has no chance in competing with the salaries of the teams in their division so they are pretty much forced to trade guys going to hit the market for prospects.

Thunder Dan
01-28-2008, 11:21 AM
its called moneyball. baltimore has no chance in competing with the salaries of the teams in their division so they are pretty much forced to trade guys going to hit the market for prospects.

yeah I get what they are doing, I just don't like it. They should make Major League Baseball like they have soccer over in Europe- just let the good teams play in the league, and you have to earn your way in. They could cut the games in half because New York wouldn't have to play Tampa 18 times a year, and if teams just wanna suck forever, like the Royals, they will be punished because they won't get to bring in the big time teams to get the people in the stands like they do when the Yanks and Red Sox come to town. This way, most of the games will mean alot more than they do. My league in 2008 would consist of:

Yankees
Cubs
Red Sox
Indians
Mariners
Angels
Diamondbacks
Padres
Tigers
Brewers
Mets
Phillies
Rockies
Braves
Blue Jays

The other teams will play eachother and the top 3 of those teams will replace the bottom 3 of the teams listed above. And if the Pirates choose to rebuild for 15 straight years, then they can get all the perks most Triple-A teams get

K-State Spur
01-28-2008, 12:33 PM

it's not that so much as it is that they are finally doing the rebuild that should have happened 10 years ago.

they've continually tried to hold the team together with band-aids and super glue instead of blowing things up and doing a legit rebuilding job.

Baltimore has spent with the Yankees and the Bosox in the past and (when they were winning) were not losing money doing so. The Nats will offset that some, but the MASN network should make up for that as well.

JMarkJohns
01-28-2008, 01:13 PM
I don't know how you think the Cubs are better than the Diamondbacks when the Diamondbacks swept the Cubs in the playoffs, lost only Clark and Valverde of players who mattered, added Dan Haren, could add a healthy Randy Johnson and have enough depth and youth that any loss should be filled adequately.

I'd have the Diamondbacks and Rockies atop the NL and I'm not even sure it's close. St. Louis could be tough, as they get Carpenter back and have added more pop with Glaus, but The Diamondbacks should have the best pitching staff in terms of starters, and relievers in the NL and the Rockies have the most talent in their lineup in the NL. The Diamondbacks should be a better offensive unit this year than last as Jackson, Reynolds, Drew, Young and Upton should all take another step or two forward and the Rockies have very strong pitching.

I would definitely put them behind Boston, Detroit, Cleveland and maybe... MAYBE... Los Angeles of Anaheim, but as far as the NL goes, it's Rockies #1 and Diamondbacks #1b.

Thunder Dan
01-28-2008, 01:58 PM
I don't know how you think the Cubs are better than the Diamondbacks when the Diamondbacks swept the Cubs in the playoffs, lost only Clark and Valverde of players who mattered, added Dan Haren, could add a healthy Randy Johnson and have enough depth and youth that any loss should be filled adequately.

I'd have the Diamondbacks and Rockies atop the NL and I'm not even sure it's close. St. Louis could be tough, as they get Carpenter back and have added more pop with Glaus, but The Diamondbacks should have the best pitching staff in terms of starters, and relievers in the NL and the Rockies have the most talent in their lineup in the NL. The Diamondbacks should be a better offensive unit this year than last as Jackson, Reynolds, Drew, Young and Upton should all take another step or two forward and the Rockies have very strong pitching.

I would definitely put them behind Boston, Detroit, Cleveland and maybe... MAYBE... Los Angeles of Anaheim, but as far as the NL goes, it's Rockies #1 and Diamondbacks #1b.

if you are responding to me, those teams I named are in no order. They are just the teams that would be in my made up league I dream about late at night.

JMarkJohns
01-28-2008, 02:03 PM
Ok...

DOMINATOR
01-28-2008, 06:57 PM
master plan
seems like a good idea but it would never happen because baseball would lose so much money.

and whoever mentioned St.Louis... they wont make the playoffs next year.

K-State Spur
01-28-2008, 07:05 PM
yeah I get what they are doing, I just don't like it. They should make Major League Baseball like they have soccer over in Europe- just let the good teams play in the league, and you have to earn your way in. They could cut the games in half because New York wouldn't have to play Tampa 18 times a year, and if teams just wanna suck forever, like the Royals, they will be punished because they won't get to bring in the big time teams to get the people in the stands like they do when the Yanks and Red Sox come to town. This way, most of the games will mean alot more than they do. My league in 2008 would consist of:

Yankees
Cubs
Red Sox
Indians
Mariners
Angels
Diamondbacks
Padres
Tigers
Brewers
Mets
Phillies
Rockies
Braves
Blue Jays

The other teams will play eachother and the top 3 of those teams will replace the bottom 3 of the teams listed above. And if the Pirates choose to rebuild for 15 straight years, then they can get all the perks most Triple-A teams get

We'd see a hard salary cap before this.

florige
01-29-2008, 12:47 AM
It ,might not happen because that FREAKIN Angelos can't keep his hands out of baseball business!!!! :bang :pctoss :pctoss :bang ....
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3218624

K-State Spur
01-29-2008, 01:10 AM
If it's true that Angelos nixed the deal, I'm done with this team until he sells it.

T Park
01-29-2008, 01:20 AM
St. Louis could be tough, as they get Carpenter back and have added more pop with Glaus

Don't forget the added pitching studliness of one Matt Clement :spin

:lol

Thunder Dan
01-29-2008, 09:25 AM
seems like a good idea but it would never happen because baseball would lose so much money.

and whoever mentioned St.Louis... they wont make the playoffs next year.
oh it's never going to happen, but it would be awesome...but so would winning the lotto

Melmart1
01-29-2008, 10:18 AM
Rangers now are offically the worst team in the AL West for the 2008 season if this trade does happen....Rangers shouldnt even take the field next year, just take the season off
Have you SEEN the team Oakland is likely to trot out this season? I would be VERY amazed if they finished ahead of the Rangers this year.

sribb43
01-29-2008, 10:41 AM
Have you SEEN the team Oakland is likely to trot out this season? I would be VERY amazed if they finished ahead of the Rangers this year.

well they always have pitching prospects that step up and win the A's some games, the rangers on the otherhand, not so much

K-State Spur
01-29-2008, 11:18 AM
oh it's never going to happen, but it would be awesome...but so would winning the lotto

my guess is that you are a fan of one of the teams you listed. any team in the second division would be in danger of folding.

unlike europe, americans tend not to support second division pro sports.

not to mention that under that system, worst to first becomes impossible (something that has happened quite a few times in baseball history).

florige
01-29-2008, 01:00 PM
If it's true that Angelos nixed the deal, I'm done with this team until he sells it.

Thats the word around the campfire why the deal hasn't gone down yet.

Thunder Dan
01-29-2008, 03:34 PM
my guess is that you are a fan of one of the teams you listed. any team in the second division would be in danger of folding.

unlike europe, americans tend not to support second division pro sports.

not to mention that under that system, worst to first becomes impossible (something that has happened quite a few times in baseball history).

it would lite a fire under the asses of the owners that choose to rebuild for decades at a time, which is why I thought of this crazy league in the first place.

misterx91578
01-29-2008, 05:14 PM
from rotoworld

Unconfirmed speculation on a Baltimore radio show is that Adam Jones has a degenerative hip condition that's put the Erik Bedard deal on hold.

K-State Spur
01-29-2008, 05:37 PM
it would lite a fire under the asses of the owners that choose to rebuild for decades at a time, which is why I thought of this crazy league in the first place.

there's some truth to that, but it also ignores that - under the current system - there is a serious disadvantage towards owning the team in KC vs. owning the team in NY.

Then, when they do have a year where everything clicks, they just get to move up a level instead of actually competing for the title.

Besides, something else that should be taken into account is that once you divide into those echelons, then the haves vs. the have nots within those echelons become more pronounced.

K-State Spur
01-29-2008, 05:37 PM
from rotoworld

Unconfirmed speculation on a Baltimore radio show is that Adam Jones has a degenerative hip condition that's put the Erik Bedard deal on hold.

Memories of Albert Belle.

Melmart1
01-29-2008, 05:42 PM
from rotoworld

Whoa! I wonder how true that is ... bad news for M's fans. You never wish that up on anyone, particularly a potential stud like him.

Purple & Gold
01-30-2008, 04:54 AM

Dodgers are better than the Diamondbacks and they will beat the Rockies this year. Diamondbacks are only 3rd best in the NL West.