PDA

View Full Version : Damon Stoudamire has interest in joining the Spurs

ploto
01-28-2008, 11:30 AM
...According to league sources, the Celts are checking out other possibilities and it’s believed they may have interest in another player, thought to be Sam Cassell of the Los Angeles Clippers. That matter would require time to work out, but the C’s will have to move quickly on Stoudamire if they want him.

Aaron Goodwin, Stoudamire’s representative, plans to have his client make a quick transition to his new club. Goodwin acknowledged his client has interest in the Celtics, as well as San Antonio, Phoenix, Toronto and Denver, but time is of the essence.

“We want to have him to be able to join his new team and be ready to go the following day,” Goodwin said. “This isn’t about money or anything. Damon knows he’s going to be getting the veteran minimum. He just wants a chance to play and an opportunity to go for a championship. That’s all that’s important to him at this point. The clubs we’re talking about all afford him that opportunity, so we’re confident he’ll be in a good situation by Thursday...

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view.bg?articleid=1069466&srvc=rss

phxspurfan
01-28-2008, 11:40 AM
Mighty Mouse on the Spurs? I'm not sure I'd be pleased with that. He was one of the Jailblazers and seems like more of a rotten apple than final puzzle piece.

AFBlue
01-28-2008, 11:50 AM
Damon wants to play for a contender, so it's no doubt that the Spurs are on this list....and I'm sure they've called his agent.

But I'd still put this one at a low probability of actually occuring.

td4mvp21
01-28-2008, 11:51 AM
Is he a good defender?

AFBlue
01-28-2008, 11:51 AM
As far as Stoudamire as a player, I think he could still come in and provide an instant scoring punch off the bench. He's certainly not the player that he once was, but I think he could bring some offense that this team is sorely lacking right now.

AFBlue
01-28-2008, 11:53 AM
Is he a good defender?

Based on his age (34), previous knee surgeries, and diminutive size (5'10 175lb at best).....I'd say no.

td4mvp21
01-28-2008, 11:55 AM
Based on his age (34), previous knee surgeries, and diminutive size (5'10 175lb at best).....I'd say no.

I see. The one thing I like about Vaughn is that he is a good defender and he's usually right up in his man's face. He does usually hit his open jumpers too. I don't know if Damn Stoudemire would be a better option, that's what I'm trying to figure out.

baseline bum
01-28-2008, 11:56 AM
I don't want his ass after all the disrespect he had for AJ back in the day. Not to mention his choke factor in big games (ie, the MDM when he missed a ft that would have iced the game).

Ghost Writer
01-28-2008, 12:01 PM
Sh1t, for the veteran minimum and as long as he knows his role, why not?

hater
01-28-2008, 12:04 PM
10 day contract nothing more

ploto
01-28-2008, 12:11 PM
10 day contract nothing more
He's not going anywhere on a ten-day contract. Toronto would take him no doubt. They tried to trade for him before he was bought out.

baseline bum
01-28-2008, 12:13 PM
Even in his prime, he was worthless in games that mattered. He lost the MDM miracle game, and his game 7 vs LA in 2000 was pathetic.

VaSpursFan
01-28-2008, 12:15 PM
he has interest in the spurs but i don't think the spurs have interest...we'll see.

Ghost Writer
01-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Even in his prime, he was worthless in games that mattered. He lost the MDM miracle game, and his game 7 vs LA in 2000 was pathetic.
base, Jaques Vaughn.

We're looking for 20 quality mins., not a savior.

Next.

mountainballer
01-28-2008, 12:18 PM
can't see any difference to the NvE experiment.
Spurs should work on a minor trade to get some scoring punch.
(I guess I would even try to sign Earl Boykins for the vet. minimum before thinking about Stoudamire)

rascal
01-28-2008, 12:27 PM

He won't be put in a situation where is a primary scoring option and won't be on the floor in the closing minutes of close games. I don't see him playing a big role but more of a role player. I don't see that as a problem if that is all the spurs are looking for.

They need a sf/sg scorer/slasher and or a big good defensive interior post player before they need a limited minutes role player pg.

I'm not big on acquiring him and would rather see a younger player that may have some future potential.

El_Mago
01-28-2008, 12:49 PM
I saw mighty mouse here in SA when the Grizz faced the Spurs. He played Parker pretty well, and still has some speed to penetrate and kick out.

He also has the range to hit the three. Nontheless, he's a savy vet and can bring the ball up the court.

He may not be too far of a consideration as some may think.

JP le Requin
01-28-2008, 01:05 PM
he said spurs will never win a championship with avery jonhson in 1999..BUT they dud it and its avery who did the last shot!!!

ShoogarBear
01-28-2008, 01:07 PM
Isn't this old news?

Herschel Walker
01-28-2008, 01:12 PM
at least he'll lower the average team age.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-28-2008, 01:14 PM
Why is it that every free agent article mentions the Spurs as a possible destination?

samikeyp
01-28-2008, 01:17 PM
Pass.

Ghost Writer
01-28-2008, 01:36 PM
Why is it that every free agent article mentions the Spurs as a possible destination?
Because we are title contenders who need a little help.

Slinkyman
01-28-2008, 01:42 PM
Stoudamire can do what Vaughn can't, stretch the D with 3 pointers. i'd take him cause we aren't going to find someone better in a trade.

ThomasGranger
01-28-2008, 01:44 PM
Because the Spurs are the official "where-NBA-vets-go-at-the-end-of-their-career-to-get-a ring" team.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-28-2008, 01:45 PM
Basically he's either going to Toronto or Denver, and floating the other names to help drive up his price/interest. *yawn*

whottt
01-28-2008, 01:53 PM
Nah fuck this dude...

I may not be the biggest AJ fan in the world, but that's just wrong.

Said we would never win a championship(with AJ as starting PG) and now he wants to come here to get a ring? He can get on the first train to hell as far as I'm concerned.

TheProfessor
01-28-2008, 02:04 PM
Because agents drop the Spurs as a leveraging tactic for negotiations with other teams. They make it seem to the Celtics that he has several options in order to get a better offer.

SpursWillOwn
01-28-2008, 02:17 PM
this thread is begging for the label of nick van exel?

Supergirl
01-28-2008, 02:20 PM
He's not as good a defending back up PG as Vaughn, but people, he's SO MUCH BETTER OFFENSIVELY that I'd take him in a heartbeat. there would be some games when I'd use Vaughn more but other games where I'd use Stoudemire more. If we could get him for the vet min that would really take the pressure off of an ailing Parker. It might even allow Parker to rest awhile and be healthier for the playoffs.

baseline bum
01-28-2008, 02:36 PM
base, Jaques Vaughn.

We're looking for 20 quality mins., not a savior.

Next.

Stoudamire looks like he'd be about as helpful as Charlie Ward was.

tav1
01-28-2008, 02:38 PM
There are also reports today that the Cavs are talking to the Trailblazers about Jarrett Jack, whom I suspected the Blazers may want to move.

Jack is a good back-up point guard option, and depending on his price could be a big help to the Spurs. If not, Jack, then Cassall, if not Cassal, maybe Stoudemire. There have to better options, though. If the Raptors sign either Mighty Mouth or Cassall, then Juan Dixon will be moved in a heartbeat. As an insurance point on the cheap, he's a good stop gap. When he tries, he's a capable defender.

ThomasGranger
01-28-2008, 02:41 PM
Jarrett Jack would be a great back-up PG if the Spurs could swing it. I remember hearing a rumor that Pop wanted to trade Beno for Jack when he was drafted.

baseline bum
01-28-2008, 02:44 PM
Jack is the kind of reclamation project that would make a lot of sense for the Spurs. He's a pretty good shooter, and is only 24 or 25.

whottt
01-28-2008, 02:54 PM
Holy shit he said something 9 years ago and you are still holding that against him? Get a life. You act like he killed someone. If he can help the Spurs bring him on board he if can't then pass on him. But don't make a judgement on what a person said 9 years ago..and wow he said AJ couldn't take the Spurs to a title...that is reason from treason!

Get the fuck over it...I'll want players on this team or not...as I see fit. And I'll like players, or not...for reasons I choose too, or not.

I believe a lot of people have never said anything stupid when they were 23-24 years old?

I don't know...let's put it to the test...

How old are you right now?

urunobili
01-28-2008, 02:57 PM
if he disrespected AJ...we don;t need a jailblazer on the squad nor a new Van Excel type of veteran... would have kept D-Wash on top of him with my eyes closed at any time

ploto
01-28-2008, 03:00 PM
Jack is a good back-up point guard option, and depending on his price could be a big help to the Spurs. If not, Jack, then Cassall, if not Cassal, maybe Stoudemire. There have to better options, though. If the Raptors sign either Mighty Mouth or Cassall, then Juan Dixon will be moved in a heartbeat. As an insurance point on the cheap, he's a good stop gap. When he tries, he's a capable defender.
Spurs have tried to trade for Jarrett Jack before.

And please, take Juan Dixon. You can have him. He's making $3M this season.

remingtonbo2001
01-28-2008, 03:06 PM
Jarrett Jack sounds like an intresesting prospect, much better than Cassell or Stoudamire.

tomcat
01-28-2008, 03:09 PM
Spurs don't need to get OLDER. :(

Besides, doesn't Stoudamire want to PLAY? Would he backup Parker AND Vaughn?

It doesn't make sense to me.

ChumpDumper
01-28-2008, 03:32 PM
He's really quite bad.

timvp
01-28-2008, 03:40 PM
Hell no. Stoudamire sucks and is a choker. He'd be like Nick Van Exel without the history of hitting big shots.

SenorSpur
01-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Pass.

Double pass.

The_Game
01-28-2008, 03:49 PM
this team needs something..spurs aren't winning shit without making a change somewhere

tav1
01-28-2008, 04:09 PM
Spurs have tried to trade for Jarrett Jack before.

And please, take Juan Dixon. You can have him. He's making $3M this season.

Elson makes more than Dixon, and each of them have expiring deals. In other words, we'd save 400,000 and get an insurance point for an uninspiring, out of rotation big man. Given Barry's injury, Parker's lingering heal issues and Vaugn's age, Dixon seems like a decent 3rd point option to me. I'd prefer him over Stoudemire anyday.

SpurOutofTownFan
01-28-2008, 04:52 PM
I don't think this is too crazy to consider... he's an skilled player - true he couldn't make it happen back in 2000 but he's a quality veteran player who can help out right off the bat - spurs have a long tradition of resurrecting people like him (including worse players) - I wouldnt be surprised if he happens to appear in spurs uniform considering he won't demand a lot of money but just a chance at winning a ring.

I don't worry about what he said about AJ 10 years ago - AJ disrespected the spurs about 2 years ago and everyone was fine with it. So who cares.

Ghost Writer
01-28-2008, 04:53 PM
You guys act like Stoudamire needs to be a savior. All he needs to do is upgrade Vaughn.

George Gervin's Afro
01-28-2008, 05:00 PM
I've never liked demon sodomizer...

ploto
01-28-2008, 07:03 PM
Elson makes more than Dixon, and each of them have expiring deals. In other words, we'd save 400,000 and get an insurance point for an uninspiring, out of rotation big man. Given Barry's injury, Parker's lingering heal issues and Vaugn's age, Dixon seems like a decent 3rd point option to me. I'd prefer him over Stoudemire anyday.
Toronto has ZERO interest in Elson!! :lol Why would they take his bigger salary over Dixon's when Elson sucks and they have no need at all for him?

ChumpDumper
01-28-2008, 07:05 PM
You guys act like Stoudamire needs to be a savior. All he needs to do is upgrade Vaughn.There's a good chance he wouldn't even do that.

T Park
01-28-2008, 07:34 PM
Why would they take his bigger salary over Dixon's when Elson sucks and they have no need at all for him?

They took Nesterovic.

What the hell, Sonny C was stupid the first time around.

tav1
01-28-2008, 08:28 PM
Toronto has ZERO interest in Elson!! :lol Why would they take his bigger salary over Dixon's when Elson sucks and they have no need at all for him?

Because his salary is hardly bigger and it gives them a quick big to add to their playoff bench. Dixon doesn't play; Elson probably wouldn't play. But a useless big for a useless small is a fair trade. Elson would help them more than Dixon against a team like Boston.

ploto
01-28-2008, 08:30 PM
They took Nesterovic.
And they are still very happy they did.

The Raptors gave the Spurs a cancer that the Spurs ended up cutting. Dixon is not someone they need to get rid of- and surely not for Elson.

tinysands
01-28-2008, 09:07 PM
Damon Stoudamire's buyout with the Memphis Grizzlies is complete, but it is no longer a virtual certainty that he'll be joining the Boston Celtics on Thursday.

That is because the San Antonio Spurs have changed the equation.

Sources tell ESPN.com that San Antonio will make a push to sign the 12-year veteran when he becomes a free agent. Buyout talks dragged through the day Monday before being finalized early in the evening, and Stoudamire now cannot officially be waived until 10 a.m. EST Tuesday.

"I'm keeping it all suspenseful," Stoudamire said Monday evening when reached on his cell phone. "I'm trying to get it all figured out, trying to see what's best for myself and my family."

Stoudamire cannot sign with anyone for 48 hours until he clears waivers, and sources have said he was leaning heavily toward joining the Celtics. But if Stoudamire feels Boston's interest is lukewarm, a number of other teams could quickly emerge in the battle to become Stoudamire's next destination.

In addition to the Spurs, the Orlando Magic have made their interest known in recent days. Other teams in the mix are the Phoenix Suns and Denver Nuggets, but the Toronto Raptors as not as viable an option as has been reported.

Stoudamire

In fact, ESPN.com has learned, the Raptors put together a trade package earlier this season that would have landed Stoudamire, but later withdrew it.

Stoudamire would seem to be the best fit for the Celtics, who have no true point guard backing up starter Rajon Rondo, and who could use an experienced floor general with 46 career playoff games under his belt. But Boston -- especially star forward Kevin Garnett -- could be more enamored of the possibility of acquiring Sam Cassell.

A source close to Cassell, however, said Clippers owner Donald Sterling is dead set against trading Cassell or offering him a buyout because he still believes the Clippers are capable of making the playoffs.

The next 24-48 hours will tell whether the Celtics are going to settle on Stoudamire or make the risky move of holding out in the hope of acquiring Cassell or someone else.

"We appreciate the consummate professionalism and love for the game which Damon exhibited in Memphis," Chris Wallace, Grizzlies vice president of basketball operations and general manager, said in a prepared statement. "The entire organization wishes him the best and hopes that he realizes his wish to join a championship contending team."

Stoudamire was not in the club's locker room before the game.

"I miss him. I really do," Memphis coach Marc Iavaroni said before the game. "He's been a positive influence. He and I had a very straightforward relationship from Day One."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3219495

tav1
01-28-2008, 09:09 PM
Fuck!

ducks
01-28-2008, 09:12 PM
spurs could be looking at him since tp is hurt

jmard5
01-28-2008, 09:15 PM
I think I'll pass.

baseline bum
01-28-2008, 09:54 PM
I think I'd rather drag Gary Payton out of retirement than sign Mighty Mouth.

Zarko
01-28-2008, 10:15 PM
Put TP on the shelf and run Damon out there.

We are doing shit if Tony doesn't rest up for the playoffs.

loveforthegame
01-28-2008, 10:17 PM
Ugh, didn't see the post earlier.

itzsoweezee
01-28-2008, 10:20 PM
sign his ass up. there's no excuse for having jaque "piece of shit" vaughn as the backup when damon is available.

Budkin
01-28-2008, 10:22 PM
I just heard on the Spurs Radio halftime show that the Spurs were actively making a push to sign him... I don't know how I feel about this.

Zarko
01-28-2008, 10:24 PM
Of the 4 ball handlers on the Spurs (Parker, Vaughn, Manu, Barry), 2 are chronically injured right now. Manu gets dinged up all the time, and Vaughn is getting up in years but is in superior shape.

I bet the Spurs hedge their bets and pick up Damon. Our offense is looking stagnant lately as we consistently sit around and wait for our ball handlers to penetrate. With two hurt, we have so much less movement hence less ball movement and more contested shots.

jay014
01-28-2008, 10:29 PM

The Raptors gave the Spurs a cancer that the Spurs ended up cutting. Dixon is not someone they need to get rid of- and surely not for Elson.
They are now hoping he opts out after the season to become a free agent.

ploto
01-28-2008, 10:38 PM
They are now hoping he opts out after the season to become a free agent.
Who? Rasho-- they only want Rasho to opt out to sign a new deal with them.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-28-2008, 10:43 PM
I'd give him a shot.

VaSpursFan
01-28-2008, 11:47 PM
my initial reaction was no way...but after tonight, i say give him a shot. we need some sort of offense from our back up PG. vaughn is a 3rd string PG at best with severe offensive limitations.

T Park
01-29-2008, 12:11 AM
If Stoudamire signs here, pretty much eliminate the Spurs from championship contention.

T Park
01-29-2008, 01:05 AM
The more I think about it, the more it looks like Charlie Ward all over again.

Kori Ellis
01-29-2008, 01:06 AM
If Stoudamire signs here, pretty much eliminate the Spurs from championship contention.

Why?

T Park
01-29-2008, 01:08 AM
I think his signing will signal a couple things.

1. that they don't believe in Vaughn anymore, and I think Vaughn has alot of support on the team, I think the team will kind of be taken aback by it a bit.

2. I just think hes an offensive pass first PG who doesn't play good defense, and what is killing the Spurs the most? Their defense isn't solid, so I don't see how it helps.

Is Stoudamire a better pg than Vaughn? Absolutely.

Is be a better FIT for the Spurs? IMO I don't think so. If he signs here, I will support him, but I just am afraid its looking like Charlie Ward all over again.

T Park
01-29-2008, 01:09 AM

Yeah Im sure the Raptor's owner loves paying 9 mill for a 12th man.

Kori Ellis
01-29-2008, 01:09 AM
I think his signing will signal a couple things.

1. that they don't believe in Vaughn anymore, and I think Vaughn has alot of support on the team, I think the team will kind of be taken aback by it a bit.

2. I just think hes an offensive pass first PG who doesn't play good defense, and what is killing the Spurs the most? Their defense isn't solid, so I don't see how it helps.

Is Stoudamire a better pg than Vaughn? Absolutely.

Is be a better FIT for the Spurs? IMO I don't think so. If he signs here, I will support him, but I just am afraid its looking like Charlie Ward all over again.

If they sign him, I think it will because they are going to limit Parker's minutes.

timvp
01-29-2008, 01:10 AM
The reason why I think this might actually happen is because when Stoudamire wanted out of Toronto, he said he wanted to be traded to one of the three Texas teams. If all things are equal, Stoudamire might pick a Texas team.

That said, I don't even understand why the Spurs would want him. If he's better than Vaughn, it's not by that much. Plus, Pop loves Vaughn. The only thing that makes sense is the Spurs want extra insurance in case Parker's heel doesn't come around. Which, if true, is pretty damn scary . . .

T Park
01-29-2008, 01:11 AM
If he's better than Vaughn, it's not by that much. Plus, Pop loves Vaughn. The only thing that makes sense is the Spurs want extra insurance in case Parker's heel doesn't come around. Which, if true, is pretty damn scary . . .

Yup.

Like I said.

If Stoudamire is signed, then the repeat hype can be pretty much silenced.

T Park
01-29-2008, 01:12 AM
If they sign him, I think it will because they are going to limit Parker's minutes.

Agreed as well.

Personally, if Parker needs to be limited that much, and they want to bring in a PG of his calibar?

Then Parker is worse off than we know, and thats pretty much a death knell for the Spurs, despite what the Parker haters think.

SequSpur
01-29-2008, 01:14 AM
stoudamire would lead the league in 3 pointers on this team. Vaughn sucks.

Kori Ellis
01-29-2008, 01:15 AM
Well right now even if they wanted to rest Parker for just a week right now, they can't. Barry is hurt and you can't roll with a Vaughn/Manu? PG combination.

T Park
01-29-2008, 01:17 AM
starting 5

Manu
Udoka
Bowen
Duncan
Oberto

Bench?

We dont need no stinking bench....

Kori Ellis
01-29-2008, 01:18 AM
starting 5

Manu
Udoka
Bowen
Duncan
Oberto

Bench?

We dont need no stinking bench....

That would be a horrible starting lineup against most teams. Pop doesn't want Manu playing the point for big stretches.

That's why I'm saying if they want to bring in Stoudamire, it's because they are going to either cut back or shut down Parker.

T Park
01-29-2008, 01:21 AM
Yeah that was made in more of jest than anything else.
Yeah I know Im not funny but I try.

If Parker is shut down, then just shut the season down all together.

The Spurs team is a tripod.

If one of the legs aint there, no matter amount of whatever is gonna hold it up.

Not Damon Stoudamire, Jacque Vaughn, Beno Udrih, Darius Washington, James White, or whatever.

Kori Ellis
01-29-2008, 01:22 AM
Yeah that was made in more of jest than anything else.
Yeah I know Im not funny but I try.

If Parker is shut down, then just shut the season down all together.

The Spurs team is a tripod.

If one of the legs aint there, no matter amount of whatever is gonna hold it up.

Not Damon Stoudamire, Jacque Vaughn, Beno Udrih, Darius Washington, James White, or whatever.

What if he only need 2-3 weeks off to get healthy.

T Park
01-29-2008, 01:24 AM
If that got him healthy? They could prob survive.

Honestly after last year, I think if healthy, this team can win on the road, and starting in the 4th, 5th, or 6th spot doesn't bother me at all.

Might bother other people.

jcrod
01-29-2008, 02:37 AM

Why don't you just give up now like you did before and they'll turn it around.

You make no since in saying the above statement. Damon is an upgrad to Vaughn, no matter which way you look at it.

You don't think he knows if he signs here, he will have to try to play defense or he'll sit. Pop has that rep and every player knows it. His offense is ten times better than Vaughn. We don't need a savior, just a different spark besides Manu and I think Damon can provide that.

Either way it i don't care, Parker injury is what I'm worried about. Dude doesn't look right and the Spurs go as Parker goes. Rest him now!

genomefreak13
01-29-2008, 02:51 AM
Having stoudamire is good for the spurs. We can have another hungry veteran on the team. Plus ! he's eager to play. The team would make good use of him. specially with them going small ball.

Mark in Austin
01-29-2008, 02:58 AM
Add me to the list of posters who favor bringing back the rotting corpse of Gary Payton before signing this douchebag. I think he would be a cancer in the locker room. I once saw him yelling at a coach to get back in a game once the PG who subbed in for him got hot and was leading the team to a comeback.

genomefreak13
01-29-2008, 03:10 AM
I believe Pop would be wise to pick stoudamire. What he was before isn't usually what he is now. His back is on the wall and a veteran guard like him wouldn't screw his chances of going into a championship team

Louie Vega
01-29-2008, 03:15 AM
I think Damon is one of "those lazy guys". They don't want to put in the work like the Spurs do. And they know Pop will work them. Just like Jason Kidd, J. O'Neal etc these are guys who just want to relax and collect a paycheck. They don't want to come to San Antonio. Too much pressure!

genomefreak13
01-29-2008, 03:21 AM
lazy or not he has to play , otherwise he wont get hired

ttdog
01-29-2008, 12:42 PM
Mike Monroe: Stoudamire a Spur soon?

It can't happen until early Wednesday evening, when Damon Stoudamire clears waivers, but it now appears likely the Spurs will sign the 5-foot-10 point guard who on Monday finalized terms of a buyout of his contract with the Memphis Grizzlies.

Stoudamire had expressed interest in signing with both the Spurs and the Boston Celtics, but seems to have settled on San Antonio as his destination of choice.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, who doubles as the team's vice-president of basketball operations, can't speak about Stoudamire until he clears waivers tomorrow night. He did, however, express a high degree of interest before Monday night's game against the Utah Jazz in whether or not Stoudamire had officially gotten out of his deal in Memphis.

The Spurs, in need of additional scoring, also are acutely aware of the frailty of their point guard situation because of the injury that has bothered Tony Parker for nearly two months. Parker's explosiveness has been limited because of a bone spur in his left heel.

Stoudamire averaged 7.3 points in 29 games with the Grizzlies this season, but shot only 39.7 percent, and 38.7 percent from 3-point range. He has been in the league since 1995 and has a career scoring average of 13.8.

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/01/mike_monroe_sto.html

MoSpur
01-29-2008, 12:51 PM
I like TPark giving up on the Spurs. It almost assures a Spurs championship.

MoSpur
01-29-2008, 12:52 PM
As mentioned in previous posts, the only reason the Spurs are interested is because of Parker's injury. He obviously isn't the same. He needs to rest. Damon Stoudamire could provide some help.

MoSpur
01-29-2008, 12:53 PM
Think of Stoudamire as a Glenn Robinson, but for 2008.

Mr. Body
01-29-2008, 12:55 PM
Bring back NVE, I say.

MoSpur
01-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Bring back NVE, I say.

:lol

Bruno
01-29-2008, 01:07 PM
So, it looks like Spurs will sign him.

I'm not a big fan of Stoudamire, I'm not even sure he is an upgrade over Vaughn. I hope Pop has told him that he will get the backup PG spot only if he outplays Vaughn.

Another thing to notice is that it will put Spurs over the tax. The odds of a trade, even if it's only a salary dump, are way higher than before.

AFBlue
01-29-2008, 01:08 PM
So, it looks like Spurs will sign him.

I'm not a big fan of Stoudamire, I'm not even sure he is an upgrade over Vaughn. I hope Pop has told him that he will get the backup PG spot only if he outplays Vaughn.

Another thing to notice is that it will put Spurs over the tax. The odds of a trade, even if it's only a salary dump, are way higher than before.

Elson for Othella Harrington...should save about $600K

Mr. Body
01-29-2008, 01:09 PM

As are the probability of blowouts.

JamStone
01-29-2008, 01:11 PM
Follow up article:

"Spurs have interest in laughing at Damon Stoudamire for having interest in joining the Spurs."

ChumpDumper
01-29-2008, 01:14 PM
Well we do need another point guard. If it means Tony is able to rest I can't complain too much.

Bruno
01-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Elson for Othella Harrington...should save about $600K

It's a possibility among tons of other ones.
Going under the tax is quite easy if Spurs are ready to give up on one of their players (Elson or someone else).

I hope Spurs will find a trade that is more than a salary dump and bring someone who can help Spurs.

Supreme_Being
01-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Sign Damon. Get rid of Elson. Now.

GoGatos
01-29-2008, 01:27 PM
The tax is not an issue here. The tax threshold for this season was set at $67.865 million. The Spurs' current payroll (WITHOUT Stoudamire) is at $69,586,150. So the Spurs are already going to be paying a tax no matter what.

baseline bum
01-29-2008, 01:33 PM
I like TPark giving up on the Spurs. It almost assures a Spurs championship.

Shades of 2005.

ploto
01-29-2008, 01:37 PM
And people thought I was crazy when I posted this just yesterday....

pad300
01-29-2008, 01:43 PM
Well we do need another point guard. If it means Tony is able to rest I can't complain too much.

Would we be better off signing Earl Boykins (who is still available and looking for a Job, http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/50574/20080129/boykins_to_find_work_by_friday/
). He might fit into the offence a lot better, as a penetrator in the TP mode...

Also, look at their last years:

06/07
Stoudamire:
http://www.82games.com/0607/06MEM4C.HTM

Boykins:
http://www.82games.com/0607/06DEN1C.HTM
http://www.82games.com/0607/06MIL2C.HTM

Boykins was more productive offensively as well as a better defender.

CaptainLate
01-29-2008, 01:53 PM

You base it on one game? How many games have mattered to DS during his career with Toronto, Portland and Memphis :lol

Uhhh, and let's see...how many top 10 NBA all-time big men has DS played with that would consistently give him open looks?

'nuff said...sign him up as TP's backup and shut TP down for a couple of wks. As long as the Big 3 are healthy and the bench is solid, you can count me in as a fan who doesn't care if we enter the playoffs on the road. :clap

baseline bum
01-29-2008, 02:26 PM
You base it on one game? How many games have mattered to DS during his career with Toronto, Portland and Memphis :lol

Uhhh, and let's see...how many top 10 NBA all-time big men has DS played with that would consistently give him open looks?

'nuff said...sign him up as TP's backup and shut TP down for a couple of wks. As long as the Big 3 are healthy and the bench is solid, you can count me in as a fan who doesn't care if we enter the playoffs on the road. :clap

No, I'm basing it on two games. :lol

I've always hated Stoudamire's attitude, and I remember how he was about to cry in game 2 of the WCF ala Morrison. Who knows? I hated Glenn Robinson for the same reasons, but he was useful in game 1 of the Finals. Maybe we'll get lucky again, but I'm not any more excited about Stoudamire then I was Melvin Ely last year.

ChumpDumper
01-29-2008, 02:56 PM
Would we be better off signing Earl Boykins (who is still available and looking for a Job, http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/50574/20080129/boykins_to_find_work_by_friday/
). He might fit into the offence a lot better, as a penetrator in the TP mode...

Also, look at their last years:

06/07
Stoudamire:
http://www.82games.com/0607/06MEM4C.HTM

Boykins:
http://www.82games.com/0607/06DEN1C.HTM
http://www.82games.com/0607/06MIL2C.HTM

Boykins was more productive offensively as well as a better defender.Boykins is a horrible ball hog, but really I'm fine with signing almost anyone who can stay on the court right now. Stoudamire, Boykins, Livingston, Wilks -- whatever. Parker's health is the priority here because we're going nowhere if he isn't healthy.

THE SIXTH MAN
01-29-2008, 02:58 PM
Parker's health is the priority here because we're going nowhere if he isn't healthy.
Bingo! :tu

Ghost Writer
01-29-2008, 03:31 PM
I like how dummies like ChumpDumper change their tune after it appears D. Stoudamire will be a Spur.

Fvckin' homers.

ChumpDumper
01-29-2008, 03:34 PM
I'm still generally anti-Stoudamire and think there are better choices out there.

The important thing is to sign somebody. Stoudamire is somebody. I think the only way he will help is by letting Parker rest. Otherwise, he sucks ass and I don't want him playing a second after Parker gets back to 100%.

So GFY again.

Ghost Writer
01-29-2008, 03:39 PM
Like who, Chump?

You usually say 'no' to everyone else' suggestions from your ivory tower.

And look!

The Spurs are about to sign a player that I and others pontificated about.

You are a fool if you think Stoudamire won't play when Parker is healed or if he is worse than Vaughn.

ChumpDumper
01-29-2008, 03:42 PM
If Barry was healthy, I would say no one.

I'm looking for a stopgap. Not a guy to suck here for the rest of the season. If he turns out to miraculously not suck like he already has this season, fine -- but where is your evidence that he's going to turn the Spurs' season around?

Ghost Writer
01-29-2008, 03:49 PM
I have no evidence, but I know he is better than Vaughn.

Who do you suggest as a stopgap?

ChumpDumper
01-29-2008, 03:51 PM
I have no evidenceAlright then.
Who do you suggest as a stopgap? Thanks for confirming you don't actually read anyone's posts.

tav1
01-29-2008, 04:06 PM
The Stoudemire trade might anticipate a few other things. The obvious one, which everyone is hip to, is that it lets us rest Tony Parker. The second is that if the Spurs make a trade it won't be for a point guard. A third is that Jeremy Richardson is history.

tav1
01-29-2008, 04:08 PM
I don't think that Stoudemire will play over Vaugn. I think Vaughn will play, Parker will sit, and Stoudemire will spell Vaughn--which, for its duration, will constiture the worst point guard combo in the league.

ChumpDumper
01-29-2008, 04:11 PM
The Stoudemire trade might anticipate a few other things. The obvious one, which everyone is hip to, is that it lets us rest Tony Parker. The second is that if the Spurs make a trade it won't be for a point guard. A third is that Jeremy Richardson is history.If Stoudamire puts the Spurs over the tax threshold, I don't think Richardson's cost becomes a real issue since he isn't the guy who put them over. He certainly could be gone though.

Ghost Writer
01-29-2008, 04:46 PM
Chump,

Please name names.

Who is your stopgap?

I remember yesterday that you dreamed up a player that was too good and way unavailable.

Fire away.

ChumpDumper
01-29-2008, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the further confirmation that you don't read.

Why don't you figure out another trade for a $12 million player that sucks worse than what we have now.

Fire away.

Texas_Ranger
01-29-2008, 04:53 PM
I'll say: Bring him. At least we will have one more 30 year+ player.

Ghost Writer
01-29-2008, 04:53 PM
Answer the Popd@mn question.

Who do you want as a stopgap?

Question.

ChumpDumper
01-29-2008, 04:54 PM
:lmao

I love the fact that you were too lazy to read in the first place and are now completely incapable of looking around.

Your being retarded is not my problem.

Damon doesn't seem like a stopgap signing to me.

Does he seem like one to you?

Ghost Writer
01-29-2008, 04:57 PM
Don't be scared... just post here and save us some time.

Who knows?

I might even agree with you!

I'm just tired of you tearing down and never offering any suggestions.

I seriously am looking for ideas!

Please post your target(s).

ChumpDumper
01-29-2008, 04:59 PM
Already posted.

Ghost Writer
01-29-2008, 05:10 PM
You're fvcking scared.

What thread?

Ghost Writer
01-29-2008, 05:11 PM
I'm still generally anti-Stoudamire and think there are better choices out there.
Who?

Post here for the world to see.

ChumpDumper
01-29-2008, 05:15 PM
What thread?You're cracking me up. I never thought you were this stupid.

Ghost Writer
01-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Why not just post the players that you want the Spurs to get instead of being a lil' b1tch?

Question.

ChumpDumper
01-29-2008, 05:17 PM
What thread?:lmao

Ghost Writer
01-29-2008, 05:19 PM
You're a b1tch.

Post your players.

ChumpDumper
01-29-2008, 05:20 PM
:lmao again!

You can't read and you can't scroll and you can't even post a proper cuss word.

You're pathetic.

Ghost Writer
01-29-2008, 05:23 PM
I wasted time scouring this and several other threads.

Just post the players you think we should get.

You refuse to, because all you do is critique and bring nothing to the table.

Die.

Ghost Writer
01-29-2008, 05:24 PM
Is this your stunning revelation?:

Boykins is a horrible ball hog, but really I'm fine with signing almost anyone who can stay on the court right now. Stoudamire, Boykins, Livingston, Wilks -- whatever.

ChumpDumper
01-29-2008, 05:30 PM
:lmao :lmao :lmao

Took you long enough to scroll up three posts.

Feels good when you earn it though, doesn't it?

ChumpDumper
01-29-2008, 05:39 PM
Jeremy Richardson is history.Could be -- the Mad Ants lost two guards to Europe and have only signed one replacement so far.

Ghost Writer
01-29-2008, 05:50 PM
Phoooo.

That was anticlimactic.

All thoose PGs you mentioned are upgrades over Vaughn, so well done.

One thing... Livingston is supposed to be very good when healthy.

You'd be better off targeting Cassell from the Clips.

I'm sorry for lashing out at you. I am very testy when the Spurs lose and look bad doing it.

My apologies.

Kori Ellis
01-29-2008, 05:51 PM
I'm sorry for lashing out at you. I am very testy when the Spurs lose and look bad doing it.

My apologies.

Marriage turned GW soft.

Ghost Writer
01-29-2008, 05:56 PM
Nah... I just hate when people complain, but offer no better alternatives... and I get pssy when the Spurs play like the are old and done.

ChumpDumper
01-29-2008, 05:59 PM
Phoooo.

That was anticlimactic.Well we are talking about stopgaps here. The list would be different if we were talking about projects.

All thoose PGs you mentioned are upgrades over Vaughn, so well done.

One thing... Livingston is supposed to be very good when healthy.I am talking about Randy here if that needs clarification. He's not in fantastic shape but he is a big part of Idaho's 14 game win streak, averaging 16 points and 11 assists.

You'd be better off targeting Cassell from the Clips.I'm fine with that.

My apologies.I was being petty too, it's got to be annoying to everyone else.

Ultimately it's not a terrible signing. If he works out we can shut down Parker for awhile. If not, he's gone. We do need someone.

rascal
01-29-2008, 06:03 PM
Seattle has 3 pgs. If your just looking for a part time backup maybe one of them or
Telfair since Foye should be coming back soon. Telfair has been playing well lately.

Ghost Writer
01-29-2008, 06:09 PM
Touche', Chump.

rascal, while I recognize that Watson is ideal and Ridnour is more proven, I posted the other day that Delonte West is the odd man out in SEA and we should look at him.

I like Telfair a lot. He has great assist totals on a sh1t team.

rascal
01-29-2008, 06:14 PM
I like Delonte West. He is an upgrade to Vaughn. He played well with Boston last year when he was starting.

z0sa
01-29-2008, 06:16 PM
if we can get west >>>>> GO FOR IT.

the guy's a warrior, has range to the three, but I'm not sure about his defense.

MaNu4Tres
01-29-2008, 06:26 PM
I really don't like the idea of the addition of Damon. Hes been a highly inefficient point guard throughout his career, even in his mighty mouse hay day. I really doubt he would help. At most he would take away shots from our better shooters and be a weakspot in our defense.

T Park
01-29-2008, 07:02 PM
Nah... I just hate when people complain, but offer no better alternatives

You mean like Rascal?

BTW, what number is Demon gonna get? He sure as hell aint gettin 20....

T Park
01-29-2008, 07:03 PM
He played well with Boston last year when he was starting.

Exactly like Beno starting for a shit ass Kings team.

rascal
01-29-2008, 07:13 PM
Exactly like Beno starting for a shit ass Kings team.
Beno has played well this year for the Kings. You arguing that?

Or are you trying to say since Beno did not play well with the spurs but has done better in a starting role with a weak team like the Kings then West will not play well with the Spurs. Beno and West are not the same player so I don't even know why you felt the need to bring up Beno.

T Park
01-29-2008, 07:49 PM
Or are you trying to say since Beno did not play well with the spurs but has done better in a starting role with a weak team like the Kings then West will not play well with the Spurs. Beno and West are not the same player so I don't even know why you felt the need to bring up Beno.

You said West played well for the Celtics.

The Celtics last year were a bad team.

Udrih played well when he started for a bad Kings team.

Thats the similarities.

West is not a good PG.

Udrih is even worse.

Therefore I compared the semi similar situations of two bad point guards, excelling, in a starting role with horrible teams.