PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again...

Duff McCartney
01-28-2008, 06:33 PM
http://www.star-telegram.com/332/story/437040.html

The NFL season is winding to a close and so too are football-centric “Other items of interest that found their way into my trusty reporters notebook.” Basketball. And hockey. And even Rangers baseball awaits.

Thanks to the ill-advised two weeks off before the Super Bowl, we have plenty of football left, including a possibility of returning to SeaWorld during training camp.

8. Dave Campo is a good man, a great defensive coach and hiring him to coach the secondary is inspired. Campo was not an inspired choice to coach the Cowboys. His hiring actually marks the nadir of Owner Jones’ decision-making, and that is saying a lot. This is not an indictment of Campo, not totally. He was constantly having his legs cut out from under him by the same man who hired him.

It was a chaotic and ugly time noted by 5-11, 5-11, 5-11.

The one thing Campo always understood was defense. He had a way of getting something out of nothing, which was what they had for most of his tenure as head coach. This defense, and specifically this secondary, does not lack in talent, just in the ability to make it work in games. And as nice as Campo is, he may even lay a little wood on Roy Willy.

Who am I kidding? Who are the Cowboys kidding? It is time to cut their losses and cut Roy Willy, with Campo leading the charge.

7. The only worry with hiring Campo is it reeks of an Owner Jones’ hire. The inability to hire Coach Wade’s first choice to coach the secondary was nobody’s fault. The Falcons refused to let Emmitt Thomas go. And, maybe, he did not have another good suggestion.

The hiring of Campo kind of has the feel of Old Jerry and, as Campo probably can attest, that is not necessarily a good thing for the head coach.

Duff McCartney
01-29-2008, 02:09 PM
I found this to be quite agreeable as well...

And as nice as Campo is, he may even lay a little wood on Roy Willy.

Who am I kidding? Who are the Cowboys kidding? It is time to cut their losses and cut Roy Willy, with Campo leading the charge.

Yep that sounds about right. I hope Campo gets it done.