PDA

View Full Version : David Robinson's near-ejection

Don Quixote
01-29-2008, 12:16 AM
Does anybody remember the game, years ago, when we were playing a big game in Utah. I don't remember if it was a playoff game, or just a late-season showdown. Anyway, the Silver & Black were getting screwed by the refs (as usual in those days), and David Robinson flipped out over another bad call. I think it was an offensive foul on him. He followed the ref, talking to him. The ref ignored him and kept walking to the table. Of course, the crowd in Utah was going wild.

Then David grabbed the ref (Bennett Salvatore) by the shoulder, spun him around, stuck his finger in the ref's face, and continued berating him for like 15 sec. Finally, Pop, Sean, & co. got ahold of David and pulled him away.

David didn't get a tech or anything. I think the entire arena was in shock. I know I was.

Anyone remember this incident? I think it was Game 1 of the 98 series vs. Utah.

jman3000
01-29-2008, 12:18 AM
david could take a shit on my face and if i was a ref i wouldnt tech him up.

Don Quixote
01-29-2008, 12:21 AM
david could take a dump on my face and if i was a ref i wouldn't tech him up.

What we have here, my friends, is a true fan of the Silver & Black. This man here would rather eat poo than dishonor St. David.

timvp
01-29-2008, 12:58 AM
That sounds like just about every playoff game at Utah during the 90's.

SequSpur
01-29-2008, 01:00 AM
I miss David Robinson.

TDMVPDPOY
01-29-2008, 01:11 AM
that because bennet forgot the 11th commandment:

thou shall not call fouls on drob

jaffies
01-29-2008, 01:48 AM

I'm putting this on my fridge.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-29-2008, 02:23 AM
I'm putting this on my fridge.

:elephant

urunobili
01-29-2008, 09:16 AM
i think D-rob should come and workout a little with the team... his energy will cool us down...

jrmp317
01-29-2008, 11:27 AM
DRob got the last laugh on Malone

2 rings to none

TwoHandJam
01-29-2008, 12:20 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/lakers/malpaykob_040608.jpg

http://www.nba.com/media/pistons/50964500CBMVP_040615.jpg

jman3000
01-29-2008, 12:23 PM
4 HOFamers on 1 team?

gtfo.

best team ever!

Carnac
01-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Wasn't that against Portland? And didn't Dennis Rodman come over to calm down Robinson?

Supreme_Being
01-29-2008, 01:00 PM

You might be having a case of coprophilia. Go to your nearest psychiatrist now.

FromWayDowntown
01-29-2008, 01:28 PM
I don't remember David having a meltdown in the 1998 playoffs, but I do remember him having a profanity-laced press conference after Game 5 of the 1996 WCSF in Salt Lake City in which he directly questioned Steve Javie for a vendetta.

He also did get run by Bennie Adams for consecutive technicals for arguing a call during a game in Portland in 2000 (the Spurs rallied from an 11 point deficit to win against a very good Portland team). The ejection did bring about a classic Popovich quote, too:

"Dave getting kicked out of the game was an appropriate response," San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich said. "You don't see David do that very often. When he gets that angry, it's for a reason. This was a special game for us. It was very special
and we kept fighting through all the adversity."

whottt
01-29-2008, 01:31 PM

People...meet Drob's new #1 fan

You have surpassed me...

Don Quixote
01-29-2008, 08:31 PM
I don't remember David having a meltdown in the 1998 playoffs, but I do remember him having a profanity-laced press conference after Game 5 of the 1996 WCSF in Salt Lake City in which he directly questioned Steve Javie for a vendetta.

He also did get run by Bennie Adams for consecutive technicals for arguing a call during a game in Portland in 2000 (the Spurs rallied from an 11 point deficit to win against a very good Portland team). The ejection did bring about a classic Popovich quote, too:

"Dave getting kicked out of the game was an appropriate response," San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich said. "You don't see David do that very often. When he gets that angry, it's for a reason. This was a special game for us. It was very special
and we kept fighting through all the adversity."

You might be right. I wish I could remember, or at least get the YouTube for it. But I clearly remember David getting a bogus foul called on him on the road. David followed the ref to the table, grabbed him by the shoulder, and yanked him around. Then he told the ref what he thought of the call for about 20 sec. Dude didn't even get ejected, although he might've gotten teched up.

I think it was in 98, Game 1 vs. Utah. Avery had just driven in for a game-tying layup with about :40 to go. But the refs called an o-foul on David, which set off the tirade.

Or it might've been 96. I can't remember. But it was awesome.

ajh18
01-29-2008, 08:35 PM
http://static.flickr.com/36/112054157_ea39a9d015.jpg

That game pissed me off so much. HOWEVER, that picture always makes me just think "damn David was ripped." Look at that freaking arm!

Don Quixote
01-29-2008, 08:41 PM
No kidding. David was one big dude. It took alot to knock him down.

But I recall the the game in which Malone knocked out David was a regular-season game. Happened in the first-quarter. Malone didn't even get a flagrant I.

remingtonbo2001
01-29-2008, 08:45 PM
Didn't Dave get in a fight with Pervis Ellison back in 91' or 92.

I remember the press conference. It almost brought tears to my eyes to see David get so passionate about something that he would actually resort to vulgarity. I was so proud of him.

lefty
01-29-2008, 08:48 PM
I remember David being ejected towards the end of the 1999-2000 regular season in Portland; 2 quick techs after being called for an offensive foul on Brian Grant, with 2-3 minutes to go, and Spurs down by 10 points.

Spurs were pissed off and won the game.

One of the most memorable Spurs game ever ! :elephant :elephant :elephant

Don Quixote
01-29-2008, 08:49 PM
Didn't Dave get in a fight with Pervis Ellison back in 91' or 92.

I remember the press conference. It almost brought tears to my eyes to see David get so passionate about something that he would actually resort to vulgarity. I was so proud of him.

I wonder what they were fighting over.

David: "Pervis ... for a #1 overall, you really suck."

Perv: "Say WHAT, m___f___!?"

On the bench, Sean Elliott, who paid David $100 to say that to Perv's face, is cracking up.

Don Quixote
01-29-2008, 08:52 PM
I remember David being ejected towards the end of the 1999-2000 regular season in Portland; 2 quick techs after being called for an offensive foul on Brian Grant, with 2-3 minutes to go, and Spurs down by 10 points.

Spurs were ticked off and won the game.

One of the most memorable Spurs game ever ! :elephant :elephant :elephant

Yes, this was after Tim went down with the knee injury. David carried the team the rest of the season, at least from what I understand. I didn't catch too many Spurs games then because I was in Air Force training in Mississippi and the only nationally televised games involved the Lakers.

Avitus1
01-30-2008, 12:42 AM

I maybe a fan of The Admiral but I'd have to tech him for this for sure. You are by far the #1 fan of D-Rob in history! Congrats.

lefty
01-30-2008, 12:44 AM
Yes, this was after Tim went down with the knee injury. David carried the team the rest of the season, at least from what I understand. I didn't catch too many Spurs games then because I was in Air Force training in Mississippi and the only nationally televised games involved the Lakers.

Actually, that was before Timmy's injury. Timmy had clutch baskets and blocks in that game

TampaDude
01-30-2008, 12:44 AM
DRob will always be THE MAN!!! :toast