PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan Scouting Report

SenorSpur
01-29-2008, 01:45 AM
It seems that practically every team resorts to the now-popular technique of running another defender at Duncan from the weak side to strip the ball. Or his primary defender will resort to a hard hack across his hands and forearms in order to strip the ball. Many will remember this technique was popularized by Karl Malone, who used it almost exclusively on D-Rob, back in the day. Dallas and Utah are among the best at doing this.

By no means is this a complaint. To the oppositions's credit, it's seems to work very well in frustrating Duncan and throwing off his rhythm entirely. Even if they draw a foul out of it, it's worth it. Often times it will lead to a steal or Duncan will even occasionally pick up a frustration foul going the other way. An added bonus for the opposition.

Tim plays right into this trap by holding the ball too long or dropping it below his waist on occasion. If I never see Duncan drop the ball below his waist ever again - I'll be happy.

Cloud786
01-29-2008, 02:10 AM
It happens almost every game it seems these days.

genomefreak13
01-29-2008, 02:18 AM
Very good scouting...I hope timmy does learn to react quickly in the post to avoid being hacked.

duncan228
01-29-2008, 02:27 AM
I agree, he is holding the ball too low and too long. And if he decides to go instead of pass he turns right into the teeth of the defense. When he makes his decisions quicker he's been more successful at getting a good shot or hitting the open man.

I can't figure it out. Maybe his hesitation is that our perimeter guys aren't shooting so well at the moment. Maybe he's trying to do too much, over-thinking it instead of relying on his instincts.

I don't know what it is but I have faith he'll work through it. If he's too predictable and the defense is all over it he'll mix it up. He has been shooting from the outside more lately, maybe that's part of it.

The team is off, and the team still starts with Duncan. If he can get himself back in gear it should all fall into place. (With Parker's foot and Manu's hand healing of course.)

Duncan's numbers haven't been bad. His turnovers are ridiculous. It's got to stop, I'm certain he knows that better than anyone does. And for a man known for keeping his emotions out of his game I've seen him frustrated more this season than I ever remember. He doesn't like losing, he doesn't like being a cause for a loss. Those 7 turnovers tonight have to have an effect on him. I expect that effect to be good for the team.

genomefreak13
01-29-2008, 02:34 AM
[/QUOTE]I can't figure it out. Maybe his hesitation is that our perimeter guys aren't shooting so well at the moment. Maybe he's trying to do too much, over-thinking it instead of relying on his instincts. [QUOTE]

I think so too. Plus! The problem with the spurs right now is they're moving slower than before. They don't drive hard into the basket anymore whenever duncan is holding the ball. That's why timmy has to rely on his own strenght to beat the defense. If only we can have parker at 100% Duncan can have another option whenever he's in the post.

polandprzem
01-29-2008, 04:04 AM
old forum thread

IMO this is more effective double team then a help post defender

Louie Vega
01-29-2008, 04:22 AM
If I never see Duncan drop the ball below his waist ever again - I'll be happy.

:clap