PDA

View Full Version : The reason Udoka got the second T

Kori Ellis
01-29-2008, 01:47 AM
Udoka, who was part of the unit that helped the Spurs whittle away at Utah's lead, swore he didn't swear at Clark. In fact, he said he didn't speak to the referee at all.

"I was talking to AK (Andrei Kirilenko)," Udoka said, incredulous at Clark's decision. "I get kicked out for saying 'stop flopping' with a minute left in a close game?"

:lmao

timvp
01-29-2008, 01:49 AM
Yeah, when I watched the replay it didn't really look like Udoka was talking to the ref. And while Kirilenko was flopping like a fish out of water having a seizure, Udoka has to know the refs are watching him after things got heated a couple minutes prior.

SenorSpur
01-29-2008, 01:49 AM
The ejection came immediately after the verbal jousting that took place between Udoka and Kirilenko/Boozer. On the particular sequence, it sure looked to me as though Udoka was jawing at AK and NOT the ref. In fact, I didn't even realize the ref close enough to hear him.

Kori Ellis
01-29-2008, 01:50 AM
I'm just laughing because of all the flopping the Spurs do. You can't exactly get caught up at calling another team floppers.

E20
01-29-2008, 01:51 AM
Udoka's inner-self reminds me of a young Hakeem. I'm pretty sure Udoka is restraining himself for the sake of Pop.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-29-2008, 01:52 AM
Hahah ya it makes sense now.

The play before that dude (Udoka) just stood over Kirelenko after that free throw where he flopped real bad. Loved the commentary too. "Is he alright? Looks like he learned how to flop from Jeff Hornacek."

Manudona
01-29-2008, 01:52 AM
I'm just laughing because of all the flopping the Spurs do. You can't exactly get caught up at calling another team floppers.

I guess that was what Manu was telling him after the ejection!

Budkin
01-29-2008, 01:53 AM
I like the fact that someone is being tough out there... we need someone with that kind of passion.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-29-2008, 01:55 AM
Were words exchanged between Udoka / Boozer at all?

I know there was a double tech. But all I saw was Boozer grabbing the ball out of Udoka's hands (straight up thuggin').

Manudona
01-29-2008, 01:56 AM
I like the fact that someone is being tough out there... we need someone with that kind of passion.

But I rather have Manu's toughness, silently go to the foul line and score, or use the perceived unfairness of a no-call as fuel to step up the game, getting ejected from a match to fuel the team is the job of the coach :)

duncan228
01-29-2008, 01:56 AM
I really like Udoka's energy.
And he seems to be catching on to Pop's system quickly.
He'll have to learn to watch his mouth, especially in close games, no matter who he's jawing at.
I think he will.

milkyway21
01-29-2008, 02:00 AM
Udoka, who was part of the unit that helped the Spurs whittle away at Utah's lead, swore he didn't swear at Clark. In fact, he said he didn't speak to the referee at all.

"I was talking to AK (Andrei Kirilenko)," Udoka said, incredulous at Clark's decision. "I get kicked out for saying 'stop flopping' with a minute left in a close game?"

:lmaowait a minute, What???:wtf. This one brings back memories of Duncan ejected because he laughing(?) about something(not Crawford), on the bench, the Coyote ejection, Duncan touching Nies WAHHHHH !!!! this is unfair:cry

genomefreak13
01-29-2008, 02:13 AM

Udoka is tough but I think he'd better put his passion into good use rather than cost us games. There is a proper place for everything. If he'd already known that the refs is out to chop his head because of the prior schuffle between him and boozer, he should have cooled a bit after the flop with kirilenko. He better shape up in the next game or Pop will surely bench him.

Ice009
01-29-2008, 02:25 AM
hmm I don't know what to think after reading this. You guys think Pop will punish him?

Please_dont_ban_me
01-29-2008, 02:28 AM
hmm I don't know what to think after reading this. You guys think Pop will punish him?

Knowing Pop? Probably.

I remember a few years back Glenn Robinson did something similar. Pop benched him for the rest of the series / playoffs pretty much. He wasn't a big contributing factor...but still. He got his minutes here and there, but after the shove got benched.

Udoka probably won't get it that bad though. Just the Robert Horry treatment. :) 1-2 games with no / limited minutes then back to same old same old.

Kori Ellis
01-29-2008, 02:29 AM

Popovich liked the fight Udoka showed but not the effect of his technical and ejection.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA012908.01D.BKNspurs.jazz.gamer.2b8d4f5.html

Ice009
01-29-2008, 02:33 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA012908.01D.BKNspurs.jazz.gamer.2b8d4f5.html

ouch. I could cry. WHY IME WHY? Just when you were on teh verge of starting. This could really screw it all up now.

The post TIMVP did about Pop not liking this was dead on, and after reading that post again I don't like what Ime did either. He should have kept his mouth shut.

Question - Would Duncan have been T'd up for saying the same thing?

Ice009
01-29-2008, 02:39 AM
I guess the only good thing out of this is Ime did it in the middle of the season and he can learn a HARD lesson about this now. Will Pop ever trust him in the crunch again?

genomefreak13
01-29-2008, 02:41 AM
Tyranny in SA would likely prevail. Udoka might play limited minutes against the sun. Pop isn't particularly happy with players that cost them games. Even tony parker got the worst of Pop in his rookie years whenener the team is not run the way it should be.

hsxvvd
01-29-2008, 02:59 AM
Don't worry Ime it happens to us all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vX6maiHSZg

VaSpursFan
01-29-2008, 09:53 AM
i hope Pop understands what Ime brings to the court and doesn't punish him for this. ime plays with passion and his history doesn't indicate that he's a trouble maker. one mistake and lesson learned for ime. at this point, he's the lone bright spot outside of the big 3, so keep his confidence going.

ancestron
01-29-2008, 10:17 AM
I don't think Pop will punish him at all. It was refreshing to see someone on the floor who gave a shit, not that the other players didn't, but you get the point. I think Pop will look at it the same way.

Maybe give him a little verbal reprimand in front of the team, but I don't think he'll pull him from the rotation or anytning. Udoka was a big reason the Spurs were able to get as close as they were toward the end.

SpursFanFirst
01-29-2008, 10:19 AM

Nice avatar, Kori...it caught me by surprise when I opened the thread...then a good laugh :lol

Reading that article, several are pissed off...hopefully they'll channel that anger into some wins over the next several games.

Hemotivo
01-29-2008, 10:20 AM
Horrible

boutons_
01-29-2008, 10:32 AM
IIRC, Ime and AK were lined up side-by-side for a FT, AK by the basket. The FT was shot, and AK was next seen lying prone under the basket and not moving much to get up. I don't know whether he tripped or whether he had assistance. Going down the court a few seconds later, Ime gets his second TF.

nkdlunch
01-29-2008, 10:37 AM
AK and Okur are the new flopping champions

SAGambler
01-29-2008, 10:53 AM

Uh, don't forget Anderson Varejao. He spends more time on his back than a 2 dollar whore.

SAGambler
01-29-2008, 11:05 AM
As for Ime getting the boot....first of all I think it was totally uncalled for from the ref. But it is nice to see someone besides Manu showing some emotion over the screwing the Spurs are taking on a nightly basis from the refing crew.

As for "costing us the game", IIRC we were the team with fewer buckets at the time. No guarantee that if he stays in, we win this game. No guarantee that Korver doesn't still bury that 3 a few seconds later.

What really cost us this game, was the turnovers. If we just have our normal 12, we probably win going away. Spurs have got to hold onto the ball and quit making silly turnovers. In particular Duncan has got to stop bringing the ball down where they are able to strip him on a regular basis.

And if Pop benches Ime over that T, well then shame on Pop. He needs someone with fire in his belly on the floor, not sitting on the bench watching, because he is in Pops' infamous "doghouse".

LifeOnaPlate
01-29-2008, 11:18 AM

That's one title no one will ever take from the Wah-nantonio Spurs.

CubanMustGo
01-29-2008, 11:20 AM
That's one title no one will ever take from the Wah-nantonio Spurs.

Just like the four NBA titles we have, jealous bitch.

LifeOnaPlate
01-29-2008, 11:28 AM
Just like the four NBA titles we have, jealous bitch.
I'm not jealous, I think it's great the Spurs have been successful. Keep things in the West, good enough for me.

loveforthegame
01-29-2008, 11:35 AM
Why give Udoka a pat on the back for showing fire and getting ejected but dogging on Finley when he pushed Jones away from Duncan when he was on the floor in pain?

I don't think Pop punishes Udoka by putting him the doghouse either. He may not get the starting nod but I think Pop has to be happy that someone is showing some heart out there.

SenorSpur
01-29-2008, 11:48 AM
Anyone notice how Udoka was getting the key minutes down the stretch in place of Bowen?

ancestron
01-29-2008, 12:08 PM
Ime Udoka is kind of a badass. Never really noriced it before.
Glad he's on the team.

boutons_
01-29-2008, 12:45 PM
"Udoka was getting the key minutes down the stretch in place of Bowen"

I blogged at about 5 mins left, that Ime and Matt were Pop's choices for crunch time.

It would be really stupid of Pop to bench Ime for Ts in game where so many other Spurs sucked. It's not like Ime was raging out of control, like a Rodman or a 'Sheed.

ploto
01-29-2008, 01:44 PM
I could not believe when Sean was whining about Utah flopping. Any team with Manu and Oberto have no right to gripe about flopping. It is like Wade griping because someone goes to the free throw too much.

As to the T- you do not have to be yelling at the ref to get a T. What you say to other players can get you T'd up, as well. And it is also how you say it, when you say it, and your body language.

mbass
01-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Ime Udoka is kind of a badass. Never really noriced it before.
Glad he's on the team.
He is also one smart cookie - good fundamental skills - reminds me in some ways of Duncan.

Spurs Dynasty 21
01-29-2008, 01:47 PM

yeah that just pathetic, Udoka just didn't seem like the type of person to jaw a ref

The Truth #6
01-29-2008, 02:28 PM
To say that Pop should be furious at Ime is to agree with the shaky premise of the second technical. It's not as bad as the Crawford incident but more nebulous in what actually happened.

Big Dog Robinson later got benched for shoving another player (that's assuming he was going to be playing a bunch anyway; he wasn't.) What did Ime do? He was talking to another player.

AK's flop was Andy Kauffmann-esque. He laid down prone for a few seconds like he was dead. Perhaps the ref felt he should have called a foul on Ime for that shove. Fair enough. But to make up for it with an ejection? Ridiculous. The Jazz (Harpring/Boozer) play that way all game.

Yeah, I know the Spurs flop but that doesn't mean it should be celebrated.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-29-2008, 06:40 PM
Ime got tossed for talking to another player? That is a FREAKIN BAD JOKE.

I have seen other players swearing their heads off as they walk to the bench, or as they stand by the free throw line after a foul, for no call. But Ime gets teched for telling another player not to flop!?

NBA officiating has reached a new low, and the Spurs should send a protest to the league over this. There is no rule against talking to another player on the court.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-29-2008, 06:46 PM
Anyone notice how Udoka was getting the key minutes down the stretch in place of Bowen?

That's been happening for the last four games or so, and yes, I did notice. ;)

T Park
01-29-2008, 06:51 PM
Not impressive to get tossed after getting a T and pretty much a warning to STFU.

Not impressed with Udoka after this.

remingtonbo2001
01-29-2008, 08:49 PM

While the Spurs may have perfected the FLOP, the Jazz did INVENT IT.