PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs @ Jazz Jan. 28

whottt
01-29-2008, 02:31 AM
First of all, the Jazz are back. Hacking, pushing and flopping, this was a vintage Utah Jazz performance circa 1996 when they were the dirtiest team in the NBA.
Take away the Malone elbows and Stockton shots to the groin, and the Jazz were still the dirtiest team in the NBA then, and if they continue to play like they did tonight, they will reclaim that crown in short order.

I hate the Jazz.

The Spurs played poorly early and spent the rest of the game playing catch up before finally, as has been their trend of late, losing direction and energy in the fourth.
On the plus side, the Spurs seemed to make a concentrated effort to go to Duncan tonight. On the negative side, they forgot about him in the fourth in a maelstrom of Parker and Manu cluelessness and Finley bricks.

And awayyyyyyyyyy we go:

Duncan - Duncan kicked butt tonight. He made a bevy of difficult shots against a filthy Jazz defense. He was clearly the most intense Spur on the court tonight. He did make a fair share of turnovers, but most of that was the physicality and rule pushing of the Jazz. Defensively he was so so on Boozer, but a lot of that had to do with Boozer.

Parker - It's just not there for Parker right now, on either end of the court. He seems tired, and he continues to struggle late in the fourth quarters of games. To his credit, you can tell he's trying to fight through whatever it is that's bothering him, but that battle is not going well right now. He got smoked by Deron Williams tonight.

Manu - I saw Manu hitting his midrange J early and predicted a Spurs win. Usually when his midrange is going early, he has a huge game, and the Spurs win. He played well tonight offensively, and he tried to take over the game several times defensively, but he went as the Spurs have been going lately in the fourth, and lost focus and energy. His effort on D was nice but Kirilenko ate his lunch. Then again, Kirilenko ate just about everyones' lunch tonight.

Bruce - Bruce sucked tonight. I love Bruce, but I cannot think of single meaningful thing he did tonight, and he didn't come close to stopping anybody either.

Oberto - Oberto had a nice line but unfortunately was plagued with foul trouble. Going back to the playoffs last season, I think Oberto is a key player when going against the Jazz and maybe Pop does too, so maybe the reason he didn't really come back into the game late is because Pop was playing it close to the vest in case of a series agains the Jazz in the playoffs.

Finley - When Finley's shots go in it's a typical Finley good game. When Finley's shots don't go in it's a typical Finley bad game. His shots didn't go in tonight. It's just that simple with Mike.

Horry - Horry's problem is clearly his conditioning. He came into the game in the first half and for the first 5 minutes he was playing one of his better games of the season defensively, including a nice block on Williams. After that initial 5 minutes, he was gassed, for pretty much the rest of the game. I think all of Horry's problems, including his shooting, can now be attributed to his conditioning, something that won't be fixed by spending more time on the bench.

Elson - I never think Elson plays as badly as everyone else does. I think he's an athletic player that has the potential to be extremely disruptive to both the offense and defense of our opponents just based on sheer athleticism and speed. Tonight seemed to be one of those disruptive games to me, at least in the first half. Pop disagreed.

Udoka - We all know Udoka is starting to find his role on the team, but what I saw tonight was something new, and that was a guy that seems to have both the desire and willingness to step up into a leadership role on this team. He's growing more and more comfortable on both sides of the ball and getting more confident. Unfortuantely, Udoka was ejected late in the fourth quarter of this game and with him went the Spurs' momentum. I don't like small ball against the Jazz, but it's difficult to fault Pop for going with it when Udoka was playing as well as he was tonight.

Jacques Vaughn - Vaughn sucked worse than Parker. I think he hit an open shot at some point in the first half. Props Jacques :tu

Bonner - Bonner is slow, no longer rebounds, and can't hit a shot under pressure to save his life. I like Bonner, but I do not care if he doesn't get off the bench, and neither does the Spurs' W-L record.

Pop - Pop is as guilty of going through the motions right now as anyone on the team. The Jazz manhandle smallball teams yet Pop elected to try and close out the game with a smallball lineup. Did he do that because he truly felt it was the best lineup? Was he not tipping his hand to a potential playoff opponent? I don't know, but what I do know is that the way he elected to match up with the Jazz tonight bore no resemblance to the way he elected to match up with them in the 2007 playoffs. Make of that what you will.

In summary, the Spurs have a variety of ills right now. They are showing their age late in games and more importantly they are showing an alarming lack of leadership and focus late in games as well. It's time the Spurs get back to what they truly are, and that's Tim Duncan's team, inside and out. You'll be amazed what that does for our 3 shooting and fourth quarter poise.

whottt
01-29-2008, 02:32 AM
PS: I wrote this #$%#$% thing twice. The first time I tried to post it I got an error page....if this version seems halfassed, you're right.

whottt
01-29-2008, 02:35 AM
.................................................. ..........................

Sorry, I had to get that out of my system.

timvp
01-29-2008, 02:35 AM
For those who didn't see the thread, the other day I asked whottt to right the Game Thoughts for the Jazz game. Thanks for coming through :tu

Now let me read 'em . . .

Deimosfobos
01-29-2008, 02:37 AM
On the plus side, the Spurs seemed to make a concentrated effort to go to Duncan tonight. On the negative side, they forgot about him in the fourth in a maelstrom of Parker and Manu cluelessness and Finley bricks.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but the 4th Q was the only one spurs won actually. :reading

san antonio spurs
01-29-2008, 02:38 AM
For those who didn't see the thread, the other day I asked whottt to right the Game Thoughts for the Jazz game. Thanks for coming through :tu

Now let me read 'em . . .
write :)

duncan228
01-29-2008, 02:39 AM
Thanks whottt.
I always watch the game and timvp's thoughts sum up what I saw.
Tonight I was only able to see parts of the game and your thoughts have told me what I missed.
I appreciate your effort, sorry you had to do it twice.

timvp
01-29-2008, 02:40 AM
write :)Yeah my righting was off today that's why whottt was needed.

:smokin

whottt
01-29-2008, 02:44 AM
I'm not saying you are wrong, but the 4th Q was the only one spurs won actually. :reading

They may have outscored the Jazz, but they have clearly forgotten how to win fourth quarters compared to Spurs teams of previous years, even considering this is during their annual mid-season swoon.

whottt
01-29-2008, 02:49 AM
Thanks whottt.
I always watch the game and timvp's thoughts sum up what I saw.
Tonight I was only able to see parts of the game and your thoughts have told me what I missed.

LOL well not really...#1 I don't remember everything, because I lost my first post.

#2. I definitely rushed this summary and eliminated certain details.

To give you a better summary...Duncan was pretty awesome on offense except for some turnovers. He made some freak off balance shots tonight and it was one of his stronger performances of the past few years.

He Manu and Udoka were the only guys that played good tonight.

The went to Duncan for most of the game and then pretty much not at all in the fourth. The Spurs were making a nice run in the fourth until Udoka got ejected and then they started looking a whole lot like they did against the Hornets, only not quite as bad.

The backbreaker was Finley leaving Kirilenko alone at the 3 line too soon in the final minute of the game.

I appreciate your effort, sorry you had to do it twice.

Thanks...that error message sucked.

Kori Ellis
01-29-2008, 02:54 AM
Good thoughts, Whottt.

Thanks for posting. Now I don't have to hear LJ re-watching segments of the game over and over again. :lmao

Spurs suck right now, but it doesn't mean they'll stay sucking.

duncan228
01-29-2008, 02:56 AM
whottt-I'll be watching the game tape tomorrow so I can see for myself how well you did. :)

Between you and timvp my basketball education continues...I learn as much following the "discussions" between you two as I have in 25+ years of watching the NBA.

Oh...and thanks for the note on Duncan. I record the games so I don't risk missing him have a good game. Damn, his turnovers are going to kill me though...

timvp
01-29-2008, 03:00 AM
Nice job overall, whottt. Good to have another perspective :tu

That said, I finally get to be the one who gets to complain about stuff I disagree with :hungry:

1) I think Manu was a little better than you give him credit for. That three Kirilenko had on him was a shot I'd give Kirilenko all day.

2) In the first half Oberto was horrible. He had no points and no rebounds at halftime in about ten minutes. He played a little better in the second half but he had a poor game, I thought. Which is nothing new since Oberto was horrible against the Jazz at Utah during the regular season last year too. The more I watch Oberto, the more he reminds me of the Argentine Horry. He's coasting as much as anyone right now.

3) I don't get a leadership vibe from Udoka. More like he's comfortable now. Even though his stats weren't that awesome, I thought Udoka was perhaps the best Spur it terms of playing winning basketball tonight.

Now I have two questions for you:

1) Do you keep playing Robert Horry to get him into shape? If yes, do you do so even if it hurts the team in the short run? If no, which bigman would you replace him with in the rotation?

2) You obviously do not like Bonner, yet you were also for the Scola trade. All things being equal, which player would you rather have on the Spurs -- Scola or Bonner? Overall, not considering the Spurs' system, who is the better player -- Scola or Bonner?

Thanks in advance.

duncan228
01-29-2008, 03:06 AM
timvp gets to disagree, I get a "discussion" between him and whottt! :hungry:

whottt
01-29-2008, 03:16 AM
Nice job overall, whottt. Good to have another perspective :tu

That said, I finally get to be the one who gets to complain about stuff I disagree with :hungry:

1) I think Manu was a little better than you give him credit for. That three Kirilenko had on him was a shot I'd give Kirilenko all day.

Manu was pretty good tonight...offensively, and the effort to wreak havok was there as well...Kirilenko was, I think, 9-10 from the field tonight. No one was good on him.

2) In the first half Oberto was horrible. He had no points and no rebounds at halftime in about ten minutes. He played a little better in the second half but he had a poor game, I thought. Which is nothing new since Oberto was horrible against the Jazz at Utah during the regular season last year too. The more I watch Oberto, the more he reminds me of the Argentine Horry. He's coasting as much as anyone right now.

Yeah but with coasters...in a close game at the end, that's when they stop coasting. I would have liked to have seen him more at the end of the game if only because of his knack for tipping the ball out and because Manu will look for him and find him for easy baskets.

3) I don't get a leadership vibe from Udoka. More like he's comfortable now. Even though his stats weren't that awesome, I thought Udoka was perhaps the best Spur it terms of playing winning basketball tonight.

Well there you go...you call it in terms of winning basketball, I call it leadership...he seemed to be the only one with the focus and a plan for winning the game tonight...

Well, Duncan may have had those thing as well, but since he didn't touch the ball but like 3 times in the entire fourth quarter, we'll never know for sure.

Too much outside in in the fourth...

Now I have two questions for you:

1) Do you keep playing Robert Horry to get him into shape? If yes, do you do so even if it hurts the team in the short run? If no, which bigman would you replace him with in the rotation?

You trust Horry.

Horry's not about ego or about himself...he'll tell you when it's over. He's not about starting, or about show, If it is over, you give him that time to find out and he'll let you know.

They said Horry wasn't doing enough in Houston to live up to his potential, Horry told them, this is what I do...5 rings later, Horry was right.

Ainge didn't like Horry's attitude, Horry threw a towel in his face and said I don't like your leadership...5 rings later, Horry was right.

LA thought he was washed up and done...Horry said, I'm not done...2 rings later, Horry was right.

Horry won't hurt the team by being selfish or being unrealistic...you trust him is what you do. On top of that...he remains the second best shotblocker on the team.

2) You obviously do not like Bonner, yet you were also for the Scola trade. All things being equal, which player would you rather have on the Spurs -- Scola or Bonner? Overall, not considering the Spurs' system, who is the better player -- Scola or Bonner?

Thanks in advance.

Ironically enough...regardless of the differences in their games, I don't like them for the exact same reason...because they choke under pressure.

If I have to choose...I like Bonner better, because he hasn't been an asshole for the last 5 years.

The only way I'll regret that decision is if Scola wins a ring. I've personally enjoyed his being on a clueless team much more than I would have enjoyed him being a Spur...

polandprzem
01-29-2008, 03:18 AM
wow you seems to have an obligation of doing the "thoughts' timvp

whottt diddd aaa greatttt jobbb

polandprzem
01-29-2008, 03:51 AM
As far as you can trust Horry you can't espect a constant energy from him immediatly. He shown nothing this season and it's little jeopardy (risky) to keep up with him. Pop must choose later in the March if he wants him in a rotation. I don't at that stage of a season.
Do you allbelive hw will flip himself into a shooting machine he is not all season (half-of it) >?

I for one regret we do not have an Argentinian trio in spurs squad.

As I said before - we need Elson out there. And I say no to the small ball lineup. Spurs will be demolished having just Duncan in the paint esp. against Utah. I have no time so I will maybe be back with this later.

ps. Pop might be doing in purpose to coach rthat bad at the end of a game or not doing any adjustment during the NOH game, but well. Spurs must show some signd\s thay can win all this year. The other teams will be stronger come playoff time as well

wildchild
01-29-2008, 06:59 AM
Oberto - Oberto had a nice line but unfortunately was plagued with foul trouble. Going back to the playoffs last season, I think Oberto is a key player when going against the Jazz and maybe Pop does too, so maybe the reason he didn't really come back into the game late is because Pop was playing it close to the vest in case of a series agains the Jazz in the playoffs.

At least whottt noticed that the guy had been playing.

game against NO...

TIMVP
Love your game thoughts as I can't watch games from where I live.

Just wondering if the omission of Oberto by design?

My bad. I'll add him in later
but his thoughts about him never didn't reach :lol :lol

I think Oberto had a very good first half against NO but he didn't to do it as I expected against Utah. His first game in this season against Jazz was a pretty good game, nice D on Boozer and rebounds last night he didn't nothing like that game.

urunobili
01-29-2008, 07:12 AM
well... i did predict a loss and if you check the media outthere... they're even counting us outta the playoffs... i LOVE chaos so does Pop... he has to have something to fix... oh well... we won't be much worse than this...

whottt
01-29-2008, 01:12 PM
buncha cocksuckers here at ST(excluding the posters in this thread)

whottt
01-29-2008, 01:20 PM
ty :tu

Admidave50
01-29-2008, 08:46 PM
good job man, nice to read a good recap from Seoul, Korea!