PDA

View Full Version : 3 pt attempt Spurs strategy trivia Q.

Fabbs
01-29-2008, 10:22 AM
93-93 Orlando vs Boston with 14 seconds left coming off the timeout inbounds. Hedo Turkey dribbles around the arc, can't/doesn't find an open man. So with 3-2-1 he does a spin move and hoists a three pointer. Hits it as the ball is in the air as time expires. 96-93 Orlando win.

I have a couple saying that was the designed play. I say no way Stan Van Gundy designs a three point attempt in a tie game. Elias Sports Bureau says:
It was the first game-winning, walk-off, 3-point field goal in the NBA either of the last two seasons. The last was a 23-footer by Damon Jones of the Cavaliers in a win at Toronto on March 8, 2006

Q. Have the Spurs ever attempted by design, (that is a planned play to go for a trey and not a two pointer or get fouled for FT) as a final possession shot when the game is tied? If so when? I say it's never happened.
Reason it's a Spurs topic is they also went on to say a winning team like the Spurs have surely employed such strategy.

SAGambler
01-29-2008, 03:40 PM
Why would you ever go for a trey if the game were tied and you knew this was the last shot, unless you are just forced into it as Hedo was? I think he even spoke afterwards that it wasn't the plan coming out of the time out.

phxspurfan
01-29-2008, 03:42 PM
Brent Barry 2006 playoffs? From the corner?

Real Tomato Ketchup
01-29-2008, 04:14 PM
Who knows, that is BY FAR our worst play (last second shot to win/tie) and it may have been drawn up and not run.

Solid D
01-29-2008, 04:15 PM
Regarding the "designed play" question...I doubt it would be designed as the first option in a designed play, however most offensive plays have a progression of options and stationing players on the perimeter as options has strong merit for floor-spacing purposes. Very plausible and likely that Hedo or anyone else on the perimeter would be a next option in the progression.

timvp
01-29-2008, 04:48 PM
Elias Sports Bureau says:
It was the first game-winning, walk-off, 3-point field goal in the NBA either of the last two seasons. The last was a 23-footer by Damon Jones of the Cavaliers in a win at Toronto on March 8, 2006

I also saw that on ESPN and well, according to the Ellis Sports Bureau, that's just simply not true. I don't remember a game-winning, walk-off, 3-pointer this season, but I do remember a couple from last year including this one from Gilbert Arenas in January of 2007:

YNZvphSoCNQ

Step up yo game Elias Sports Bureau :nope

Spurminator
01-29-2008, 04:52 PM
Didn't Kevin Durant hit one this season? Or did that tie the game up?

timvp
01-29-2008, 04:55 PM
Didn't Kevin Durant hit one this season?

-3yaDgNh-aQ

Yep. Gotta love that fact checking.

Solid D
01-29-2008, 05:09 PM
Good call on that one, Spurminator. It looks like Durant could have been a first option, although Chris Wilcox downscreened for Wilkens (in front of his home crowd in ATL) and Wally looked at Wilkens first, then to Durant popping out for the next option.

Here is what Carlesimo said after the game: "Wally made a good decision, and Kevin was able to get off the shot and hit it," Carlesimo said. "He'll probably do this many, many times before his career is over."