PDA

View Full Version : What did Bonner Do?

pad300
01-29-2008, 11:04 AM
All right, this thread is dedicated to speculation as to why Bonner's minutes have dropped through the floor.

He's averaging a PER 0f 15.8 playing at PF ( http://www.82games.com/0708/07SAS13C.HTM ), which is 3ed among team big men after Duncan and Oberto (PER 21.7, while playing C alongside Duncan, http://www.82games.com/0708/07SAS16C.HTM. Oberto is considerably worse in the PF position). So why have all his minutes disappeared (Season average 15.7 mpg, last 10 games (18, 17, 6,6,10,5, 0,0,5,9) 7.6 mpg...Meanwhile everyone else in the frontcourt except Tim is playing like complete dogshit. So, what's your speculation as to what Bonner did to deserve this?

1) Slept with Pop's Goddaughter...

jrmp317
01-29-2008, 11:06 AM
his shot deserted him
he's still too slow to defend fast pf's, to soft to defend big pf's
he hides in crunch time

SAGambler
01-29-2008, 11:10 AM
I've been wondering the same thing. Horry can't hit a bull in the ass with a bass fiddle, yet he plays and Bonner sits. I might even think it's because of Horrys defense, but none of the Spurs have been playing defense the past two or three weeks, so what difference does it make if he is weaker on D?

I can only guess that for some unknown reason, he is in the "doghouse" with Pop. Either that or Pop is making certain he is on vacation during the AS break.

nkdlunch
01-29-2008, 11:12 AM
he has been completely useless

ancestron
01-29-2008, 11:48 AM
he looks funny when he shoots free throws

SenorSpur
01-29-2008, 11:51 AM
His utterly poor defense was on display during the late stages of the Utah game. Deron Williams drives the paint. Bonner is in position under the basket. Instead of squaring his shoulders and making an attempt to defend the ball or even take a hard foul, he meekly turns sideways with his hands up. There is a slight body bump between the two, but nothing that would deter Williams, as he gets to the hoop for an easy bucket.

Budkin
01-29-2008, 11:56 AM
He did nothing. As usual. The guy is the fucking anti-clutch. Dump him please.

urunobili
01-29-2008, 12:00 PM
Bad plays... outta position often... low bkb IQ... anything else?

Hemotivo
01-29-2008, 12:05 PM
has the flu?

Mr. Body
01-29-2008, 01:17 PM
I'm going back to wondering why we couldn't have signed Scola for the same money instead.

Que Gee
01-29-2008, 01:38 PM
he has been completely useless

Not as useless as Horry.

SAGambler
01-29-2008, 03:44 PM
he looks funny when he shoots free throws

He may look funny. But he makes em.

If only the rest of team could hit the same FT percentage.

Dingle Barry
01-29-2008, 03:56 PM
Gingers have no place in basketball

timvp
01-29-2008, 05:12 PM
I don't think he did anything particularly wrong. I just think that Pop gifted Horry the job as the third big to see if Horry has anything left. It's not like Horry outplayed Bonner for the job.

There's still a chance that Bonner ends up as the team's third big.

MaNu4Tres
01-29-2008, 05:19 PM
His utterly poor defense was on display during the late stages of the Utah game. Deron Williams drives the paint. Bonner is in position under the basket. Instead of squaring his shoulders and making an attempt to defend the ball or even take a hard foul, he meekly turns sideways with his hands up. There is a slight body bump between the two, but nothing that would deter Williams, as he gets to the hoop for an easy bucket.

Sounds like hes learning a thing or two from Oberto the Magnifo the great wide open lay up finisher/ the great screener. Two attributes Spurs homers overrate to justify Oberto's inferior presence.

I personally think next summer we should go after a big man who...

can't jump...
can't defend the paint..
can't body up..
can't move..
can't rebound in traffic..
can't finish strong around the basket when contested...

Hell, as long as they make wide open lay ups and set great screens we should be set at the center position, because those two things are so hard to find in a big man. :rolleyes

The Truth #6
01-29-2008, 06:04 PM
The older and more decrepit a legend becomes the more Pop becomes seduced.

T Park
01-29-2008, 07:30 PM
Yeah fire Pop.

Bonner brings alot to the table, and I thought he played well last night in his time given. Missed a couple shots, but that can easily be chalked up to lack of PT.

txstr1986
01-29-2008, 07:34 PM
Bring back the Red Baron!!!!

barbacoataco
01-29-2008, 07:56 PM
I think the safe answer is that Bonner's defense is, and will always be, too weak for this team. That is why they are playing Horry, because he at least has the potential to be an effective defender, and in theory he can shoot the 3-ball like Bonner.

This answer makes me wonder why the Spurs signed Bonner for 3 years. If his defense is too much of a liability, didn't the Spurs see that after last season? Surely they weren't hoping that he would suddenly get faster, tougher, or more athletic at this point in his career.

The bottom line is that with Bonner on the court the Spurs are never going to have the kind of defense they need to win championships.