PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs decision to stand pat last summer

rascal
01-29-2008, 06:29 PM
The decision last summer to not make any major changes to the roster because they won the year before was too conservative and its no surprise that the team is struggling now.

I did not understand the reasoning why they did not want to try to get better. Maybe they can't work anything out but at least make some effort instead they came out last summer and said they were not even looking into making any roster changes.

The goal every year is to always try to improve the team even though you may have won the previous year. The spurs should always pursue trades that they feel can help the team.

The spurs may have lost this year with last summers non-moves, when they did nothing to improve the roster.

ChumpDumper
01-29-2008, 06:30 PM
It would mean more if you didn't say this kind of thing every year.

T Park
01-29-2008, 06:34 PM
I'd love to know the players available that they should've gone after.

As usual though, baseless bitching is the norm.

Joe Schmoogins
01-29-2008, 06:35 PM
The decision to stand pat was a very conscious choice made by the FO. The team that they kept together was playing excellent ball in June and for the first 20 games of the season. However, their rhythm has been derailed by injuries and magnified by the annual mid season slump. It's way too early to label this season as a lost cause.

rascal
01-29-2008, 06:39 PM
I'd love to know the players available that they should've gone after.

As usual though, baseless bitching is the norm.

Ray Allen Great shooter that would be great with the spurs.

SenorSpur
01-29-2008, 06:52 PM
We're all blessed with the benefit of hindsight, so it's very easy to question the move now. I think the FO took this approach in part because previous selections made to improve their team, the year after winning a title, have failed miserably. Of course, that's no excuse for resting on laurels. I really believe the FO thought they could successfully defend the championship with the current roster. We'll soon find out.

Having said all that, the conservative approach they took looks especially questionable now, considering the fact that the gap between top 10 teams in the Western Conference has tightened.

T Park
01-29-2008, 06:52 PM
Ray Allen Great shooter that would be great with the spurs.

:lmao

Yeah and trade Manu for him right?

The Sonics wanted to get younger and dump salary.

timvp
01-29-2008, 06:58 PM
The Spurs blew up the team after the 2003 championship. Didn't work. The Spurs traded adding pieces to the pieces already in place after the 2005 championship. Didn't work. The Spurs decided to keep the same team after the 2007 championship. We'll see what happens.

The Spurs fans who say "why do the Spurs never try to improve after winning championships?" don't make sense because this is the first time the Spurs have ever brought back the same team to try to win the next year. The Spurs have tried the improvement route. They haven't tried this route.

rascal
01-29-2008, 07:02 PM
We're all blessed with the benefit of hindsight, so it's very easy to question the move now. I think the FO took this approach in part because previous selections made to improve their team, the year after winning a title, have failed miserably. Of course, that's no excuse for resting on laurels. I really believe the FO thought they could successfully defend the championship with the current roster. We'll soon find out.

Having said all that, the conservative approach they took looks especially questionable now, considering the fact that the gap between top 10 teams in the Western Conference has tightened.

It wasn't hindsight. I said last summer they should not stand pat. The team was getting older and last year everything fell into place in the playoffs. They caught some breaks and were fortunate in the series with Phoenix with the suspensions and Nash's cut knocking him out of a tight game and not having to face Dallas who could have been a tough matchup.

They had some obvious holes to fill at c and pg and more scoring from the bench and chose to do nothing.

They should always try to get better no matter what happened the year before. It just looked like they became complacent when they came out and said they were not going to make any changes to the team.

T Park
01-29-2008, 07:09 PM
were fortunate in the series with Phoenix with the suspensions and Nash's cut knocking him out of a tight game

:lmao AGAIN

My god.

THey took game 1 fair and square give me a break.

When Nash was in there with his "cut" he made a couple threes, so try and bring the team down some more supposed "fan"

rascal
01-29-2008, 07:24 PM
Not bringing the team down but I realize the spurs caught some breaks last year. Most teams that win do. There was a slim line between winning and losing and the spurs caught the breaks last year.

ajh18
01-29-2008, 08:21 PM
Sure, you can argue the Spurs caught some breaks last year, but so did the Lakers during thier run. By the same token, the you could argue that the Mavs caught a break against us in 06, and the heat against them in the finals, while we were eliminated by a Laker's "break" in 2004. Depending on your perspective, "breaks" always come into play.

As for this year's team, I think Ime has been a great addition. If someone had told us that he would be as good as he has been for the Spurs, and that we would otherwise have last year's team, I think most people on here would have been happy.

boutons_
01-29-2008, 08:22 PM
"I'd love to know the players available that they should've gone after."

come on, T_p, that's not fair. :)

Russ
01-29-2008, 09:02 PM
We're all blessed with the benefit of hindsight, so it's very easy to question the move now.
I disagree -- we won't be blessed with hindsight until sometime between April and June. Hopefully the latter. We're just killing time in the NBA's regular season "hot stove league" until then. :)

SenorSpur
01-29-2008, 09:54 PM
It wasn't hindsight. I said last summer they should not stand pat. The team was getting older and last year everything fell into place in the playoffs. They caught some breaks and were fortunate in the series with Phoenix with the suspensions and Nash's cut knocking him out of a tight game and not having to face Dallas who could have been a tough matchup.

They had some obvious holes to fill at c and pg and more scoring from the bench and chose to do nothing.

They should always try to get better no matter what happened the year before. It just looked like they became complacent when they came out and said they were not going to make any changes to the team.

They were very fortunate in catching some breaks alaong the way. The biggest one was the Warriors 1st round upset of the Mavs.

I agree with you in that despite those breaks and despite the fact that they won the title should not have been a referendum to stand pat as they did.

The confusing thing is at this point, we don't know if this team simply hasn't hit its stride or is simply not good enough to defend its title. Again, the margin between great teams and good teams in the Western Conference has slimmed. That alone is a reason to continue improving the team.

wildbill2u
01-29-2008, 10:11 PM
It looked brilliant for about the first 30 games of the season when we were leading the league and playing great.

We're not the same team that we were at the start of the season.

Shit happens!