PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Notebook: Parker, Stoudamire, Pop

loveforthegame
01-30-2008, 01:08 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA013008.01C.spursNotes.en.3764f3a.html

NBA: Spurs put Parker on the sidelines

Web Posted: 01/29/2008 11:06 PM CST

Mike Monroe
San Antonio Express-News

SEATTLE — Tony Parker, scratched from the Spurs' lineup for Tuesday's game against the Seattle SuperSonics, will be on the inactive list for Thursday's game against the Phoenix Suns as well.
How long he remains on the sideline thereafter will be determined when the bone spur on his left heel is evaluated after he undergoes an MRI exam, scheduled for Friday in San Antonio.

The Spurs will return to town from Phoenix for a four-day break before resuming their nine-game road trip that began with Monday's game at Utah.

The bone spur has limited his explosiveness. He scored only four points in Monday's 97-91 loss to the Jazz, missing 6 of 7 shots. He also struggled to stay in front of Utah point guard Deron Williams on defense. That was enough for coach Gregg Popovich to make the determination he needed to sit Parker for a while.

"Tony didn't like it," Popovich said, "but he's been about 60 or 70 percent for about a month. It's not fair to him to ask him to keep going out there when he's the way he is. I want to shut him down for a while and give it a chance to heal."

Help coming? Jacque Vaughn, who started against the Sonics, is the Spurs' only other true point guard, but help may be on the way.

Aaron Goodwin, the attorney who represents veteran point guard Damon Stoudamire, waived Tuesday morning by the Memphis Grizzlies, said Stoudamire is giving "strong consideration" to signing with the Spurs if he clears waivers on Thursday morning.

If Stoudamire does prefer the Spurs over other teams with which Goodwin has spoken — Phoenix, Dallas and Boston — the Spurs likely will move quickly to sign him.

Goodwin negotiated a buyout of the final two years of Stoudamire's contract with the Grizzlies after it became clear the 13-year veteran would spend the season playing behind both rookie Mike Conley and second-year man Kyle Lowry. The buyout will be effective as soon as he clears waivers, after which he will be able to sign with a team of his choosing.

Goodwin said he had spoken "a few times" with Spurs general manager R.C. Buford about Stoudamire. He said Stoudamire won't seek a multiple-year deal from the team that signs him.

Stoudamire averaged 7.3 points in 29 games with the Grizzlies this season but shot only 39.7 percent, and 38.7 percent from 3-point range. He has been in the league since 1995 and has a career scoring average of 13.8.

No tears: The Spurs' loss to the Jazz, combined with New Orleans' victory over Denver on Monday, means Popovich won't be the head coach of the Western Conference in the Feb. 17 All-Star Game in New Orleans.

"Sometimes," Popovich said, "blessings come in weird packages, like losses."

naico
01-30-2008, 01:13 AM
First he's pretending to know Stoudamire is coming for sure, know he bakcs off and quotes the 'strong consideration'.

RC's Boss
01-30-2008, 01:18 AM
He has "strong weed" for the consideration is what he meant

anjlbitz
01-30-2008, 02:29 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA013008.01C.spursNotes.en.3764f3a.html

Web Posted: 01/29/2008 11:06 PM CST

Mike Monroe
San Antonio Express-News

No tears: The Spurs' loss to the Jazz, combined with New Orleans' victory over Denver on Monday, means Popovich won't be the head coach of the Western Conference in the Feb. 17 All-Star Game in New Orleans.

AHA!

Bruno
01-30-2008, 06:35 AM
Mike Monroe writes in the notebook that Parker's MRI will be on Friday while in the game report he writes that the MRI will happen today. :rolleyes

Anyway, I don't give a fuck about Spurs losing 13 of their last 24 games or about some players being in slumps. What is important for Spurs, it's Parker health.

I don't have a clue of how long Parker will be sidelined or what kind of treatment he will have but I just hope he will be back at 100% for the playoffs. With an healthy Parker, everything else will fall in place and Spurs will be again damn hard to beat this year in playoffs.

Supergirl
01-30-2008, 09:25 AM
How the hell does one recover from a bone spur in your foot? Does it really just go away on its own? You don't have to have surgery?

vanvannen
01-30-2008, 09:37 AM
I hope this doesn't end like the Van Exel experiment.
This season is resembling more and more to 2006. Scary.

urunobili
01-30-2008, 09:40 AM
This season is resembling more and more to 2006. Scary.
you are SO much wrong saying that... the 2006 season was a record breaking season for the Spurs Franchise in the regular season... so why don;t you stfu? :dramaquee

101A
01-30-2008, 09:45 AM
This season is resembling more and more to 2006. Scary.Spurs won 63 game in '06 while not making sure they entered the playoffs as healthy as possible, or having worked out different lineups enough to handle mismatches with certain teams.

Holt's Cat
01-30-2008, 09:51 AM
We should know by now that what matters most is health and playing great ball in March and April. Homecourt isn't as important, especially considering that they've managed to lose it in just about every title run, as well as win when their opponent's had it.

MoSpur
01-30-2008, 09:53 AM
Glad to hear that Parker will be getting much needed rest.

Southwest Texas Fan
01-30-2008, 09:58 AM
How the hell does one recover from a bone spur in your foot? Does it really just go away on its own? You don't have to have surgery?

Surgery is not necessary but some type of treatment is. There is a treatment that dissolves the heel spur but I am sure it would require Tony to sit out, but for how long I do not know.

ploto
01-30-2008, 10:02 AM
If they sat him out a month ago like they should have, he would have had a better chance of being healthy for the playoffs. They chose to have only 2 PGs and so he played when he shouldn't have. The Spurs were still losing anyway so they finally decided to sit him. But the Spurs have problems besides this-- most notably the defense.

Kibic
01-30-2008, 10:05 AM
Just take Beno back.

Russ
01-30-2008, 10:13 AM
Okay, Pop, now that you've "clinched" not being the All-Star coach, let's get back to business.

SpursFanFirst
01-30-2008, 10:53 AM

I guess the speculation on this board was right all along!

SpursFanFirst
01-30-2008, 10:58 AM

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/bone-spur-topic-overview?page=2

How are they treated?

Bone spurs do not require treatment unless they are causing pain or damaging other tissues. When needed, treatment may be directed at the causes, the symptoms, or the bone spurs themselves.

Treatment directed at the cause of bone spurs may include weight loss to take some pressure off the joints (especially when osteoarthritis or plantar fasciitis is the cause) and stretching the affected area, such as the heel cord and bottom of the foot. Seeing a physical therapist for ultrasound or deep tissue massage may be helpful for plantar fasciitis or shoulder pain.

Treatment directed at symptoms could include rest, ice, stretching, and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen. Education in how to protect your joints is helpful if you have osteoarthritis. If a bone spur is in your foot, changing footwear or adding padding or a shoe insert such as a heel cup or orthotic may help. If the bone spur is causing corns or calluses, padding the area or wearing different shoes can help. A podiatrist (foot doctor) may be consulted if corns and calluses become a bigger problem. If the bone spur continues to cause symptoms, your health professional may suggest a corticosteroid injection at the painful area to decrease pain and inflammation of the soft tissues next to the bone spur.

Sometimes the bone spurs themselves are treated. Bone spurs can be surgically removed, or treated as part of a surgery to repair or replace a joint when osteoarthritis has caused considerable damage and deformity. Examples might include repair of a bunion or heel spur in the foot or removal of small spurs underneath the point of the shoulder.

Indazone
01-30-2008, 11:01 AM
and the answer is....VSPAN!

angel_luv
01-30-2008, 11:33 AM
I feel like I owe Tony Parker an apology. I under appreciated the difference he makes for our team.

Sorry, Tony. Please get well soon!

Bruno
01-30-2008, 11:54 AM
Parker will have a MRI today at 2pm.
We should know how long he will be out after that. The sure thing is that Pop won't let him play again if he isn't at 100%.

Streakyshooter08
01-31-2008, 02:15 PM
Parker will have a MRI today at 2pm.
We should know how long he will be out after that. The sure thing is that Pop won't let him play again if he isn't at 100%.

Lets hope it comes back with good news...