PDA

View Full Version : Edwards to drop out (AP)

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-30-2008, 09:18 AM
Everybody's got the breaking news headlines, but the story is pending.

Holt's Cat
01-30-2008, 09:42 AM
Interesting since the talking heads, at least on CNN, were sure that Edwards was in it to the convention. I think an Edwards endorsement would be more valuable for Obama as it might help him a little with the union and old white people constituencies in the party.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-30-2008, 09:59 AM
Obama/Edwards is looking more and more likely.

Holt's Cat
01-30-2008, 10:20 AM
I think Obama would benefit more from a sitting governor as his VP candidate. But his camp may view an endorsement from Edwards as being worth it. I think a Clinton-McCain matchup would go to McCain, but it's a bit cloudier if it's Obama-McCain. It's hard to say that the GOP base would be as energized against Obama. Given the base's lukewarm to antagonistic view of McCain, if you have a non-Clinton opponent who's not that all unlikable and who has appeal to moderates and independents, many of them could stay home.

Holt's Cat
01-30-2008, 10:28 AM
Plus you have to consider the effect a McCain candidacy would have on the Democratic base. McCain is the closest thing to W running a 3rd time for them, particularly with regards to Iraq. Obviously McCain would try to make the campaign about fighting al Qaeda and paint Obama as a lightweight, but if Obama runs a competent campaign then Iraq will be the issue and a majority of Americans want to GTFO while Johnny Mac wants to stay there for a century.

2centsworth
01-30-2008, 10:34 AM
I think Obama would benefit more from a sitting governor as his VP candidate. But his camp may view an endorsement from Edwards as being worth it. I think a Clinton-McCain matchup would go to McCain, but it's a bit cloudier if it's Obama-McCain. It's hard to say that the GOP base would be as energized against Obama. Given the base's lukewarm to antagonistic view of McCain, if you have a non-Clinton opponent who's not that all unlikable and who has appeal to moderates and independents, many of them could stay home.
Obama would unite the GOP too, because his record is extremely liberal which scares the heck out of republicans. the key will be can he get the independents over McCain.

Holt's Cat
01-30-2008, 10:42 AM
Short of nominating former Georgia senator Zell Miller there is not a Democrat who the GOP base is going to view as anything other than a "liberal".

There is not the personal animous towards Obama among the GOP base that there is towards Clinton. The base doesn't like McCain. If Clinton is on the ballot the GOP could nominate Ron Paul and he'd get at least 45% of the popular vote simply due to the Clinton hate. If it's McCain v Obama, the base would actually hate McCain more. Not a good recipe if you need them to win. Which McCain would, with, as you point out, Obama's appeal to independents and the middle.

And frankly the difference between the Democrats and Republicans is not all that great. We like to pretend that it is and that's why the federal government continues to sodomize us.

TheProfessor
01-30-2008, 10:46 AM
Obama would unite the GOP too, because his record is extremely liberal which scares the heck out of republicans. the key will be can he get the independents over McCain.
Obama is not near the negative unifying force for the GOP that Hillary Clinton would be; she's perhaps the only person that could get hardcore conservatives to vote for McCain in droves. Obama's crossover appeal to independents and moderate Republicans is remarkable for someone with his liberal record. Maybe as the media shined a brighter light on his record, he would lose that constituency, but I suspect his position as a positive unifying force across political lines is cemented. The real question is whether the Democratic base will accept that in the primaries and vote for him.

Extra Stout
01-30-2008, 10:50 AM
Edwards' dropping out helps Clinton. I don't care if Edwards goes so far as to kiss Obama on the lips, his supporters will jump to Clinton, not Obama.

People will go to the polls specifically because they hate Hillary Clinton and want to vote against her. Obama is just as liberal as she is, but he does not conjure up the personal animus she does. I wish people voted solely out of dispassionate regard for the issues, but you know as well as I do that such is mere fantasy.

SA210
01-30-2008, 10:52 AM
Congrats to John Edwards, the one who shaped the dialogue in this election and it's policies, who brought out the dialogue of poverty in America, to be the leader and 1st candidate to come out with a Universal Health care plan for ALL Americans in this election, to be the first to come out and say we should raise minimum wage to 9.50 an hour.

Congrats to John for being the 1st candidate to release an Economic Stimulus Package and most aggressive plan to getting all troops out of Iraq. Congrats to John Edwards for the attention and care he gives to the middle class and the poor. John Edwards was the leader in this race and the others followed not only in policies but in their speeches as well.

I thanks him for bringing light to these issues, where if he hadn't run in this election, these proggressive issues would have been ignored. So Edwards had a big hand in the policies whatever Dem should be nominated. He did good.

I appreciate his inspiration and the fight he has in him for justice for the people who have no voice. Congrats to his strong wife Elizabeth Edwards. She is truly a blessing for John Edwards to have.

This was always a biased race in the media slanted toward Hillary and Obama and considering that, I think he did very well. If this race had been about the issues and not celebrity and of equal air-time, I believe completely that John Edwards would have been the next President of the United States.

Edwards always stayed true to his word. He never forgot about New Orleans as most have. He will give his speech where he began his Presidential bid, in New Orleans, where poeple have been forgotten. He's got nothing to gain by giving his speech there, no matter what critics say, ending poverty is John Edwards cause.

After today the media and everyone will forget about the truth and importance of what he has to say today at 1pm. But I congratulate him for his courage and backbone to fight for what's right whether it gets him votes or not. It is Edwards who reminds me of a Kennedy. Notice how the media will talk more about Edwards dropping out today more then they ever did during the entire race about his issues. Notice how the media covered Obamas endorsement of Kennedy's daughter, but didn't cover the support of Edwards by Martin Luther King Jr.'s son.

Congratulations John. I heard you. :clap

I look forward to John being the VP nominee. :)

ploto
01-30-2008, 10:55 AM
I am an Edwards supporter and I am disappointed to see this.

This was always a biased race in the media slanted toward Hillary and Obama and considering that, I think he did very well. If this race had been about the issues and not celebrity and of equal air-time, I believe completely that John Edwards would have been the next President of the United States.
I agree.

xrayzebra
01-30-2008, 10:58 AM
^^Sigh.....no accounting for "you hear what you want to hear".
Guess SA210 didn't pay attention to Billary's UHC back in Clintons
first term. And did John boy happen to mention the Dimms
part in New Orleans? Just checking.

Holt's Cat
01-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Edwards spoke one way and voted the other as a US Senator. The only way he had a shot in this primary was if there wasn't another candidate capable of drawing a hefty chunk of the union and near illiterate vote.

George Gervin's Afro
01-30-2008, 11:31 AM
Edwards was my first choice... oh well hopefully clinton wins so the resident right wingers will explode.. I actually would take pleasure in their misery if Clinton won.. I really would.

Extra Stout
01-30-2008, 11:38 AM
I thought Feingold summed up Edwards perfectly: on every issue, he was running against his own voting record. There wasn't a bigger snake in the race.

clambake
01-30-2008, 11:56 AM
an obama vs mccain race would marry the conservative and aryan vote.

how bout that!.......waiting for the david duke support.

SA210
01-30-2008, 11:59 AM
Edwards expected to drop out of race today

Presidential contender steered his rivals toward progressive ideals

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22913001/

DENVER - Democrat John Edwards is exiting the presidential race Wednesday, ending a scrappy underdog bid in which he steered his rivals toward progressive ideals while grappling with family hardship that roused voters' sympathies but never diverted his campaign.
The decision came after Edwards lost the four states to hold nominating contests so far to rivals who stole the spotlight from the beginning — Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama.

Clinton said Wednesday that Edwards called her to inform her about his decision.

The two-time White House candidate earlier notified a close circle of senior advisers that he planned to make the announcement at a 1 p.m. ET event in New Orleans that had been billed as a speech on poverty, according to two of his advisers.

The former North Carolina senator will not immediately endorse either candidate in what is now a two-person race for the Democratic nomination, said one adviser, who spoke on a condition of anonymity.
Four in 10 Edwards supporters said their second choice in the race is Clinton, while a quarter prefer Obama, according to an Associated Press-Yahoo poll conducted late this month. Both Clinton and Obama would welcome Edwards’ backing and the support of the 56 delegates he had collected.

Family duty
Edwards waged a spirited top-tier campaign against the two better-funded rivals, even as he dealt with the stunning blow of his wife's recurring cancer diagnosis. In a dramatic news conference last March, the couple announced that the breast cancer that she thought she had beaten had returned, but they would continue the campaign.

Their decision sparked a debate about family duty and public service. But Elizabeth Edwards remained a forceful advocate for her husband, and she was often surrounded at campaign events by well-wishers and emotional survivors cheering her on.

Edwards planned to announce his campaign was ending with his wife and three children at his side. Then he planned to work with Habitat for Humanity at the volunteer-fueled rebuilding project Musicians' Village, the adviser said.

With that, Edwards' campaign will end the way it began 13 months ago — with the candidate pitching in to rebuild lives in a city still ravaged by Hurricane Katrina. Edwards embraced New Orleans as a glaring symbol of what he described as a Washington that didn't hear the cries of the downtrodden.

Edwards burst out of the starting gate with a flurry of progressive policy ideas — he was the first to offer a plan for universal health care, the first to call on Congress to pull funding for the war, and he led the charge that lobbyists have too much power in Washington and need to be reigned in.

The ideas were all bold and new for Edwards personally as well, making him a different candidate than the moderate Southerner who ran in 2004 while still in his first Senate term. But the themes were eventually adopted by other Democratic presidential candidates — and even a Republican, Mitt Romney, echoed the call for an end to special interest politics in Washington.

Loyal following
Edwards' rise to prominence in politics came amid just one term representing North Carolina in the Senate after a career as a trial attorney that made him millions. He was on Al Gore's short list for vice president in 2000 after serving just two years in office. He ran for president in 2004, and after he lost to John Kerry, the nominee picked him as a running mate.

Elizabeth Edwards first discovered a lump in her breast in the final days of that losing campaign. Her battle against the disease caused her husband to open up about another tragedy in their lives — the death of their teenage son Wade in a 1996 car accident. The candidate barely spoke of Wade during his 2004 campaign, but he offered his son's death to answer questions about how he could persevere when his wife could die.

Edwards made poverty the signature issue of both his presidential campaigns, and he led a four-day tour to highlight the issue in July. The tour, the first to focus on the plight of the poor since Robert F. Kennedy's trip 40 years earlier, also was an effort to remind voters that a rich man can care about the less fortunate. It came as Edwards was dogged by negative coverage of his personal wealth, including his construction of a 28,000-square foot house, his work for a hedge fund that advised the superrich and $400 haircuts.

But even through the dark days of summer and as Obama and Clinton collected astonishing amounts of money that dwarfed his fundraising effort, Edwards maintained a loyal following in the first voting state of Iowa that made him a serious contender. He came in second to Obama in Iowa, an impressive feat of relegating Clinton to third place, before coming in third in the following three contests.

The loss in South Carolina was especially hard because it was where he was born and he had won the state in 2004. But Edwards performed well enough to pick up 58 delegates.

http://msnbcmedia4.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photo_StoryLevel/080130/080130-edwards-hmed-6a.h2.jpg (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22913434/displaymode/1176/rstry/22913001/)

:toast

MannyIsGod
01-30-2008, 12:31 PM
This helps Hillary.

Wonder what she promised him.

JoeChalupa
01-30-2008, 02:03 PM
And then there were too. I concur. The road just got harder for my man Barack and there doesn't seem to be enough to make up the ground on Hillary. I am hoping for the best but we'll have to see if the Hispanic part of the democratic party rises to the occasion and pushes forward to a new era.

Holt's Cat
01-30-2008, 02:07 PM
Hispanics seem to love Hillary. So probably not.

Extra Stout
01-30-2008, 02:09 PM
And then there were too. I concur. The road just got harder for my man Barack and there doesn't seem to be enough to make up the ground on Hillary. I am hoping for the best but we'll have to see if the Hispanic part of the democratic party rises to the occasion and pushes forward to a new era.
Hillary has something like monolithic support among Latino primary voters, I think.

I think in the general, Obama would beat McCain or Romney, Hillary would beat Romney, but McCain beats Hillary. Remarkably, it appears that last matchup is the likeliest.

How astounding it would be, after all the Republican malfeasence in Congress, and the disastrous incompetence of the Bush Administration, if the Democrats still could find a way to lose the Presidential election.

01-30-2008, 02:17 PM
How astounding it would be, after all the Republican malfeasence in Congress, and the disastrous incompetence of the Bush Administration, if the Democrats still could find a way to lose the Presidential election.

See: 110th Congress of the United States

TheProfessor
01-30-2008, 02:18 PM
I think that would be entirely apropos. It's the Democrats' M.O. And don't forget what a Hillary presidential ticket would do for congressional races - say bye to many of the seats Dems picked up in the mid-term elections.

JoeChalupa
01-30-2008, 02:26 PM
damn it

Holt's Cat
01-30-2008, 02:29 PM
In some respects, McCain is Bush on steroids. McCain actually fought in Vietnam while W was defending the Texas coast from the Vietcong. McCain's campaign is almost exclusively about his biography and national security. The challenge for any Democrat will be to somehow extricate and highlight the issue of Iraq to McCain's detriment. Yet McCain can claim that he was not a part of the bungled post-war planning, that he was a major proponent of the increase in troop strength which has been perceived to improve the situation in Iraq.

If a voter is going to base their vote on whether or not it was a good idea to invade Iraq, McCain won't get their vote. But if they are going to base it on who can find a way to improve the situation, I think McCain will be in a good spot. I will also say that of those who say it was a mistake, many will be mollified if a way is found to improve the situation for the US. Given how Iraq has been presented in this country within the last few months by the media, the general impression is that the situation is more and more under control. This bodes well for McCain.

In the end, McCain wants this election to be about...John McCain. Nobody has his biography. Plus he's shown time and time again that he will do what he thinks is right rather than march in lock step with his party.

So McCain is the most electable, but he's not really going to provide much of a change over the previous administration, be it national security, foreign policy, or domestic policy.

DarkReign
01-30-2008, 03:42 PM
In some respects, McCain is Bush on steroids. McCain actually fought in Vietnam while W was defending the Texas coast from the Vietcong. McCain's campaign is almost exclusively about his biography and national security. The challenge for any Democrat will be to somehow extricate and highlight the issue of Iraq to McCain's detriment. Yet McCain can claim that he was not a part of the bungled post-war planning, that he was a major proponent of the increase in troop strength which has been perceived to improve the situation in Iraq.

If a voter is going to base their vote on whether or not it was a good idea to invade Iraq, McCain won't get their vote. But if they are going to base it on who can find a way to improve the situation, I think McCain will be in a good spot. I will also say that of those who say it was a mistake, many will be mollified if a way is found to improve the situation for the US. Given how Iraq has been presented in this country within the last few months by the media, the general impression is that the situation is more and more under control. This bodes well for McCain.

In the end, McCain wants this election to be about...John McCain. Nobody has his biography. Plus he's shown time and time again that he will do what he thinks is right rather than march in lock step with his party.

So McCain is the most electable, but he's not really going to provide much of a change over the previous administration, be it national security, foreign policy, or domestic policy.

Agreed, but is Clinton a real change either? Foreign policy-wise.

Domestically.....I could see no worse candidate to guide this nation through the coming years. Not a one.

2centsworth
01-30-2008, 03:42 PM
Edwards' dropping out helps Clinton. I don't care if Edwards goes so far as to kiss Obama on the lips, his supporters will jump to Clinton, not Obama.

People will go to the polls specifically because they hate Hillary Clinton and want to vote against her. Obama is just as liberal as she is, but he does not conjure up the personal animus she does. I wish people voted solely out of dispassionate regard for the issues, but you know as well as I do that such is mere fantasy.
Once people know Obama better he will make Hillary look conservative. I would argue people don't know much about Obama except that he's a nice guy.

Nbadan
01-30-2008, 03:45 PM
It will be interesting to see who if anyone Edwards endorses.....there's a 50-50 chance he could play middle of the road like Richardson for now, but I think he should jump on the Obama ticket early and often....

Extra Stout
01-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Once people know Obama better he will make Hillary look conservative. I would argue people don't know much about Obama except that he's a nice guy.
The combination of his liberalism with his likability and his charisma makes him especially dangerous, because he might actually be able to persuade people to take more liberal positions on the issues.

I just don't think a tack of "Look how liberal this guy is!" works on Obama, except with conservative voters who never would think of voting for a Democrat in the first place.

But it's a moot point, at least for 2008. I think Hillary has the nomination sewn up, and I think she's going to lose to John McCain.

Holt's Cat
01-30-2008, 04:53 PM
The most dangerous liberals are the ones that run as Republicans, ramp up federal spending to unconscionable levels, and manage to discredit any notion of the attractiveness of limited government and fiscal responsibility.

Holt's Cat
01-30-2008, 04:53 PM
Obama's middle name is Hussein. That makes him dangerous and against "freedom".

101A
01-30-2008, 04:57 PM
The combination of his liberalism with his likability and his charisma makes him especially dangerous, because he might actually be able to persuade people to take more liberal positions on the issues.

I just don't think a tack of "Look how liberal this guy is!" works on Obama, except with conservative voters who never would think of voting for a Democrat in the first place.

But it's a moot point, at least for 2008. I think Hillary has the nomination sewn up, and I think she's going to lose to John McCain.Only the new millenia Democratic party stands a chance of returning a Republican to office with the current one's approval numbers. Republicans, apparently, are capable of lifting to the podium the most electable (read that the one who most easily can distance himself from the current admin.) among themselves.

boutons_
01-30-2008, 05:35 PM
"ramp up federal spending to unconscionable levels,"

St Ronnie TRIPLED the national debt during his disease-addled terms.

johnsmith
01-30-2008, 05:39 PM
"ramp up federal spending to unconscionable levels,"

St Ronnie TRIPLED the national debt during disease-addled terms.

Seriously, learn to use the fucking quote button.

JoeChalupa
01-30-2008, 06:08 PM
Barack is what the democratic party needs now and needs to get back to. Too many have fallen for the "liberal" label as means to say he is dangerous. A conservatives like Romney and Huckabee scare the shit out of me who want to turn back to clock of progress.
No thanks.

CuckingFunt
01-30-2008, 06:12 PM
This election is just plain depressing, and has been since day one.

It's always been evident that the nomination would go to either Clinton or Obama and, without even bothering to look at such silly little things as policy and platform, neither one of them is even remotely electable. Even if Hillary weren't violently hated by all of the GOP and a good portion of the Democrats, there's just no way in hell we've moved far enough as a society to allow ourselves to call a woman or a black man president.

So... (at least) four more years of the Rep's in the office.

w00t.

JoeChalupa
01-30-2008, 06:24 PM
Personally I think we have, had, one of the best field of candidates we've had. What is depressing to me is the lack of participation our country has when it comes to our national elections. And to think there are people around the world who don't even the right to vote and we so much take it for granted.
Even more depressing is to hear those who bitch about things yet will not at least vote.

timvp
01-30-2008, 06:59 PM
As long as the Republicans don't try ride with the Mormon, the election is already over. It's 2008 but no black man or woman is going to become president. Edwards I think was the Democrats best option if they actually wanted to win the Presidency.

I don't even think Obama has a chance against Hillary. It's going to be Hillary versus McCain most likely and McCain should win that pretty handily. Personally, McCain strikes me as a bit crazy and a bit too old but he has this in the bag already.

Suspense over.

(Unless, of course, it becomes The Woman vs. The Mormon. Now in that race, I have no idea who'd win.)

Wild Cobra
01-30-2008, 11:19 PM
an obama vs mccain race would marry the conservative and aryan vote.
Yep, all those KKK democrats would vote republican for once.

Wow... is this the first time we agree?

Wild Cobra
01-30-2008, 11:25 PM
I don't see it that way. Obama is just more open and honest. We see clearly the type of liberal he is. Hillary is a communistic and socialistic bitch who lies and cheats. If elected, she will take so many lemmings by surprise, and be far more liberal than Obama in the long run.

boutons_
01-30-2008, 11:26 PM
The southern Dem KKK switched to Repug in the 70s, as part of Nixon's strategy and that strategy has been followed ever since.

Even Southern Dems still can't find a way to vote for a black, simply because he's black, no matter what his program is. he's black, period.

It sure looks like the Dems are gonna run a candidate that can't beat McCain.

Wild Cobra
01-30-2008, 11:30 PM
Obama's middle name is Hussein. That makes him dangerous and against "freedom".
I think you and I agree more often than not.

I have in one post, pointed out my concern for his Muslim origins, but I am not serious about that. I do think he is an American at heart, just not a conservative one. Without credible evidence to connect his name and heritage to him, I think it's a mistake to do so.

Come on Holt... We are better than the slanderous demonrats, right?

JoeChalupa
01-31-2008, 11:31 AM
I sent Edwards an email asking him to support Barack so it should be a done deal.

Holt's Cat
01-31-2008, 11:39 AM
This election is over until McCain says something stupid, which shouldn't take much time.

clambake
01-31-2008, 11:40 AM
I sent Edwards an email asking him to support Barack so it should be a done deal.
did james earl ray have any sons?

i think it will be interesting to watch all racist throw away their political party beliefs for the sole purpose of preventing a black man from becoming president.

Nbadan
02-01-2008, 01:50 AM
John Edwards Drops Out..

DdUCJsh6zvE

Nbadan
02-01-2008, 01:54 AM
Who Will Edwards Endorse & Where Will His Supporters Turn?

txHkq8Mdh8o

JoeChalupa
02-01-2008, 08:34 AM
As long as the Republicans don't try ride with the Mormon, the election is already over. It's 2008 but no black man or woman is going to become president. Edwards I think was the Democrats best option if they actually wanted to win the Presidency.

I don't even think Obama has a chance against Hillary. It's going to be Hillary versus McCain most likely and McCain should win that pretty handily. Personally, McCain strikes me as a bit crazy and a bit too old but he has this in the bag already.

Suspense over.

(Unless, of course, it becomes The Woman vs. The Mormon. Now in that race, I have no idea who'd win.)

I think you are wrong. America IS ready for a woman or African-American president and the time is now. I do thiink the "hate Hillary" part of the republican party could be a major force but I wouldn't count an a McCain victory at all. I see a Democrat in the White House after the election is over.

T Park
02-03-2008, 02:07 PM
Barack is what the democratic party needs now and needs to get back to. Too many have fallen for the "liberal" label as means to say he is dangerous. A conservatives like Romney and Huckabee scare the shit out of me who want to turn back to clock of progress.
No thanks

Yeah more money for you, less government.

Soooooo scary.

I personally find people that want to take my money and pussify this nation more more scary, but continue to wear the french flag in your back pocket and straighten your beret.

JoeChalupa
02-03-2008, 02:14 PM

Soooooo scary.

I personally find people that want to take my money and pussify this nation more more scary, but continue to wear the french flag in your back pocket and straighten your beret.

I wear the American Flag on my arm Thank You very much.

T Park
02-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Yet have the ideals of a socialist frenchman.

Genius :tu

OldDirtMcGirt
02-03-2008, 03:42 PM
I think you are wrong. America IS ready for a woman or African-American president and the time is now. I do thiink the "hate Hillary" part of the republican party could be a major force but I wouldn't count an a McCain victory at all. I see a Democrat in the White House after the election is over.

McCain-Guilliani would destroy Clinton-whoever.

ChumpDumper
02-03-2008, 03:47 PM
There's no reason for anyone to take on Rudy as a running mate.

T Park
02-03-2008, 03:51 PM
Romeny Giuliani would be better IMO.

I still can't stand Giuliani because hes such a morally corrupt person.

Extra Stout
02-03-2008, 04:29 PM

Soooooo scary.

You haven't been paying attention. We're supposed to like the French now and heap our scorn upon Russia. Please try reading the talking points next time.

JoeChalupa
02-03-2008, 06:02 PM
Yet have the ideals of a socialist frenchman.

Genius :tu

I think it is clear you've got it bad for the french.