PDA

View Full Version : The Boston Globe: "Stoudamire expected to sign with Spurs"

naico
01-30-2008, 09:37 AM
Once Damon Stoudamire clears waivers tomorrow morning, the veteran point guard is expected to sign with the Spurs, according to an NBA source. Spurs guard Tony Parker is out indefinitely with a bone spur in his left heel, according to ESPN.com. The NBA didn't finalize Stoudamire's buyout with the Grizzlies until yesterday morning, and he needs 48 hours to clear waivers.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/01/30/allen_is_latest_floored_by_flu_bug/ (http://)

The Boston Globe

boutons_
01-30-2008, 09:41 AM
who in the WC will claim the pothead off waivers to exploit Tony's absence?

some_user86
01-30-2008, 09:42 AM
There's no contract to claim. It's a formality.

sribb43
01-30-2008, 09:53 AM
cant wait to see a Devin/Damon matchup :lol

Quasar
01-30-2008, 11:44 AM
Can't anyone else claim him off waivers? E.g. what if another team with loads of cash doesn't want to let him come to the Spurs?

bdictjames
01-30-2008, 11:50 AM
Hopefully it would be true.

Damn, if only we kept DWash.

some_user86
01-30-2008, 11:51 AM
Can't anyone else claim him off waivers? E.g. what if another team with loads of cash doesn't want to let him come to the Spurs?

There are no days left on the contract. The requirement of waiving the player after buying them out is a legal requirement, probably to maneuver through the way the Collective Bargaining Agreement is set up.

See below:

Having been bought out by the Memphis Grizzlies, the veteran point guard will clear waivers on Wednesday, which is a formality, as he has no contract to pick up.

LINK: http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view.bg?articleid=1069466&srvc=rss

BonnerDynasty
01-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Spurs have reached an all new low.

Pitiful.

genomefreak13
01-30-2008, 11:59 AM
I'm frustrated because of our mountain of losses. If ever he gets to be signed, I hope he contributes to the team. Maybe...just maybe, his the answer for all my prayers( I wish!)

urunobili
01-30-2008, 12:13 PM
D-Wash should have NEVER left this team... missed a Dunk against the Lakers and Pop didn't play him anymore... i am SO pissed about that man... tolerance with young prospect should be a lil higher...

Holt's Cat
01-30-2008, 12:14 PM
Given the situation he's the best available. This team isn't winning a title without a healthy Parker and this team without a real starting point guard can't beat the woeful Sonics. I think Stoudamire can help the Spurs tread water while Parker is out and can be a capable backup when TP is back.

djohn14
01-30-2008, 12:17 PM
I like the dude!

boutons_
01-30-2008, 12:25 PM
DS has a lot of Spurs' system to learn in a very short time, or maybe we'll just play system-less grind-it-out basketball with some pic'n'roll and 4-down.

spurscenter
01-30-2008, 12:29 PM
correct link, first post, link is wrong

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/01/30/allen_is_latest_floored_by_flu_bug/

loveforthegame
01-30-2008, 12:32 PM
If Stoudamire signs it helps some that we have 4 days off after the Suns game. Not a lot of time but I'm sure the Spurs will use every minute to get Stoudamire comfortable. 6 games to get some playing time in then the all-star break to get some more work in.

I know it takes longer than that to understand the Spurs system but it's the most down time we'll have for him to get some work in.

lefty
01-30-2008, 12:43 PM
D-Wash should have NEVER left this team... missed a Dunk against the Lakers and Pop didn't play him anymore... i am SO pissed about that man... tolerance with young prospect should be a lil higher...

I agree.

How can you expect a young player to develop if he stays on the bench (especially a PG)?

Parker made a bunch of bonehead plays his 1st years in the L

ancestron
01-30-2008, 12:47 PM
Sheeeit, D-man be brangin dat sticky icky to SAtown. Hellz yea boi we'z gon git fUcKeD uP

SenorSpur
01-30-2008, 12:53 PM

Couldn't agree more. As it is with most NBA coaches, Pop demonstrates a very low tolerance for rookie mistakes. The problem is some of the vets are making similar mistakes and compounding those mistakes with a lackluster effort on some nights.

I can understand the low tolerance for mistakes as the season progresses through the spring. Living with these mistakes in lieu of development could pay huge dividends at a later date. Hell, they're losing during the dog days anyway. Pop does need to demonstrate a bit more tolerance for young prospects. like Wash, who are young, hungry, and working hard to develop their games.

peskypesky
01-30-2008, 01:02 PM
I for one look forward to DS joining the team. He ain't great, but he does have some ability...

genomefreak13
01-30-2008, 01:10 PM
I think the spurs can re-hire him if they want to. Unless of course, Pop's assessment of him is a no-no from the very start.

ChumpDumper
01-30-2008, 01:14 PM
I agree.

How can you expect a young player to develop if he stays on the bench (especially a PG)?You play him in Austin.

Darius' performance on the Toros got him waived from the Spurs.

Pop does need to demonstrate a bit more tolerance for young prospects. like Wash, who are young, hungry, and working hard to develop their games.Unfortunately, he didn't develop his game.

SenorSpur
01-30-2008, 01:27 PM
Let's see here, 3 consecutive losses in a row? TP out indefinitely? JV the only active PG on the roster? Overall decline in team scoring?

That would at least constitute a DEFCON 4 situation.

What the hell is there to think about? Bring the guy on board.

THE SIXTH MAN
01-30-2008, 01:29 PM
:lol Whats with everyone thinking Darius would have been the answer?

If Darius was so great another NBA ball club would have picked him up. And as of right now isn't he playing in Europe?

VaSpursFan
01-30-2008, 01:34 PM
given the dire straits the PG situation is right now, i'll take a former starter in this league over a young PG with "potential". we can address that next season.

BlackSwordsMan
01-30-2008, 01:37 PM
nvm

THE SIXTH MAN
01-30-2008, 01:39 PM
This guy called the Spurs dirty. I'd be surprised if he signed here.
:lol The NBA is a business. Anything short of a felony gets overlooked when a team is in need.

foodie2
01-30-2008, 02:03 PM
Isn't Damon Stoudamire the one who famously said that no team with Avery Johnson as the point guard would ever win a title?

ducks
01-30-2008, 02:20 PM
aj is a piece of shit so who cares

Holt's Cat
01-30-2008, 02:35 PM
Isn't Damon Stoudamire the one who famously said that no team with Avery Johnson as the point guard would ever win a title?

Just as long as he doesn't say 'any team with Avery Johnson as coach'...

Amuseddaysleeper
01-30-2008, 02:59 PM

yup, but AJ isn't here anymore :p:

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
01-30-2008, 03:09 PM
:lol what?

Even I don't care for AJ anymore, but back then you have to give AJ props for doing his part and contributing to the 99 team as well as making Damon eat his words with a game winning shot in the Finals.

daslicer
01-30-2008, 03:12 PM
I'm not in the AJ camp so I could give a shit about what he said about him. Horry was punched Drob in the balls and we all know he has made great contributions to the spurs. If this guy can be an adequate backup for Tony I could careless of his past.

crc21209
01-30-2008, 03:26 PM
At this point ANYTHING helps. He's a veteran now so he wants a ring and is hungry...and we all know for damn sure he can score better than vaughn. I cringed so many times last night seeing vaughn shoot up brick after brick after brick.

nkdlunch
01-30-2008, 03:34 PM

:lol

peskypesky
01-30-2008, 03:36 PM
who gives a shit?

spursfan09
01-30-2008, 03:37 PM
good...I am glad. Was Vaugh supposed to play all 48 minutes because he is pretty much the only true pg this team has right now.

timvp
01-30-2008, 03:52 PM
I would have liked Cassell or even Boykins more but I'll take Stoudamire. The alternative would be Pop flying to Cancun and begging Nick Van Exel to come out of retirement.

cheguevara
01-30-2008, 03:56 PM
wow how embarrassing is that? the Spurs FO forgot to have a backup PG in case of injuries Doh!!!

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-30-2008, 03:57 PM
With #6 hanging from the rafters now, anyone think there's a chance he could hear some boos?

Que Gee
01-30-2008, 04:21 PM
I would have liked Cassell or even Boykins more but I'll take Stoudamire.

This is going to happen.

barbacoataco
01-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Stoudamire is the only option for the Spurs. Vaughn playing 35 mpg is not going to work, and Barry is out for possibly a long time. Even if Barry was healthy I don't think the Spurs would give him a lot of minutes at Pg because of his defense.

Right now I think the Spurs are looking at: winning enough games to stay in the playoffs, while resting key players and hope they get healthy. Playing Duncan and Ginobili 40 mpg like in Seattle game is not a good idea.

IMO the Spurs need scoring. They have not been scoring enough points to win games. Having Vaughn play a lot of minutes is not going to get it done. That gives you Bowen, Oberto, Vaughn, Elson all playing extended minutes, and none of them can score.

Stoudamire, at the very least, is a guy who can put some points on the board.

timvp
01-30-2008, 04:41 PM
This is going to happen.Yeah, I figured it was a done deal yesterday when Mike Monroe had that blog post saying it was. It must have been 100% at that point or else the Spurs wouldn't have let the info get out.

Que Gee
01-30-2008, 04:46 PM
Playing Duncan and Ginobili 40 mpg like in Seattle game is not a good idea.

I don't understand what the big idea with Ginobili playing 40mpg? The guy is 29. Wade, Baron Davis, Iverson...those guys all play extended minutes when necessary. Over the course of 82 games? Your right, not a good idea, but if there are stretches like now, when people are hurt or out...stop babying him. Play him 40 minutes if thats what it takes to win some game. He's no more fragile or important to his team as are the 3 all stars mentioned.

timvp
01-30-2008, 04:48 PM
I don't understand what the big idea with Ginobili playing 40mpg? Wade, Baron Davis, Iverson...those guys all play extended minutes when necessary. Over the course of 82 games? Your right, not a good idea, but if there are stretches like now, when people are hurt or out...stop babying him. Play him 40 minutes if thats what it takes to win some game. He's no more fragile or important to his team as are the 3 all stars mentioned.Did you see Ginobili down the stretch? He was playing like he had cement boots on.

To his credit he played well but he couldn't move at all and had no explosion.

Que Gee
01-30-2008, 04:50 PM
Did you see Ginobili down the stretch? He was playing like he had cement boots on.

To his credit he played well but he couldn't move at all and had no explosion.

I'm not saying its ideal...but you gotta do what you gotta do. I highly doubt Baron and Iverson have explosion night in and night out with all the minutes they are playing. But at certain points of the season you have to go with it. Manu or Jeremy Richardson? et al.

Budkin
01-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Stoudamire will help but the real question is: will anyone else besides Timmy and Manu?

Holt's Cat
01-30-2008, 04:59 PM
Stoudamire should help to replace some of TP's scoring and ballhandling while TP is out. The key right now is for the Spurs to win the games they should no matter what (ie last night) and win most of their home games.

DubMcDub
01-30-2008, 05:32 PM
cant wait to see a Devin/Damon matchup :lol

Right? That's going to be humorous. Hell I even think JET vs Damon will be humorous.

Good luck Spurs fans.

lefty
01-30-2008, 05:54 PM
Right? That's going to be humorous. Hell I even think JET vs Damon will be humorous.

Good luck Spurs fans.

um...thank you... :rolleyes

ChumpDumper
01-30-2008, 05:56 PM
Right, thanks mavfan. All we need to do is get Parker healhty. If it means giving your team another regular season championship, that's fine.

AFBlue
01-30-2008, 05:56 PM
FYI he clears waivers in 4 minutes....

T Park
01-30-2008, 08:07 PM
Good luck Spurs fans

Good luck with that first round opponent and your superstar not wearing a dress at the same time.

td4mvp21
01-30-2008, 08:11 PM

Good luck Spurs fans.

Oh my God, Devin Harris will score 40 I bet.

Chucho
01-30-2008, 08:22 PM

Exactly what someone else said; "Who gives a shit?"
Mike Finley pushed Bruce down in a game in 04 and called him a dirty player and look what happened.

Damon is a solid player who is better than any alternatives the Spurs have right now. Plain and simple. I don't see any miracle trades happening and unless Tim reverts back into 2000-2003 forum and Pop gives Manu 35+ minutes per the Spurs are going to be hurting until if and when Tony gets back.

ShoogarBear
01-30-2008, 08:26 PM
I would have liked Cassell or even Boykins more but I'll take Stoudamire. The alternative would be Pop flying to Cancun and begging Nick Van Exel to come out of retirement.Boykins over Stoudamire? You're nuts.

And I can't believe we're even having this conversation. :depressed

TwoHandJam
01-30-2008, 08:34 PM
I would have preferred Cassell too.

Then we would truly be pushing the envelope of the oldest team ever in all major sports.

Louie Vega
01-31-2008, 12:13 AM
Does he still have it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY06oRtdHg8

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
01-31-2008, 05:24 AM
good...I am glad. Was Vaugh supposed to play all 48 minutes because he is pretty much the only true pg this team has right now.
yeah, it's always better than nothing.

I guess it's not that bad. I don't really care for Stoudamire, but he's just an NBA player, way better than Vaughn in ability (though that doesn't really say too much) I guess it's okay to have him coming along to help us.
I'm just hoping he doesn't suck or fails to deliver in his spot minutes. We Spurs fans are already hard on players we like and love...I guess if he stinks, Pop could always just bench him.

Mike Finley pushed Bruce down in a game in 04 and called him a dirty player and look what happened.Eh, that doesn't really count. Bowen had the reputation, and bugs the hell out of players, it was in the heat of the moment. And Michael Finley was a likeable dude on the Mavs.

Damon is a solid player who is better than any alternatives the Spurs have right now. Plain and simple.

Yeah, it's just business.
The only time I cringed about a trade rumor/signing with the Spurs was during the rumors about Karl Malone wanting to sign with us after the 2004 Laker implosion.