PDA

View Full Version : Pacers name Rothstein assistant coach

Pooh
08-08-2003, 06:32 PM
Pacers name Rothstein assistant coach

August 8, 2003
INDIANAPOLIS (Ticker) - One of Isiah Thomas' former coaches now will be assisting him on the sidelines.

Ron Rothstein, who coached Thomas and the Detroit Pistons during the 1992-93 season, Friday was hired by the Indiana Pacers as an assistant coach.

Rothstein, who went 40-42 in his one season coaching the Pistons, was named as a replacement for Brendan Malone, who joined the New York Knicks' staff as an assistant coach.

"We're fortunate to have Ron," said Thomas, the Pacers' coach. "He's a great addition to the staff. He has great experience in the NBA. I know when he was an assistant with the Pistons and I was a player, I was very impressed with his knowledge of the game, particularly at the professional level."

Rothstein most recently was the coach and general manager of the WNBA's Miami Sol before the franchise ceased operations prior to this season. He came into the NBA as a scout for the Atlanta Hawks in 1979 and held a similar position with the Knicks before joining Mike Fratello as a Hawks assistant in 1983. He became an assistant with the Pistons in 1986 before becoming the Miami Heat's first coach in 1988.

After his one season coaching the Pistons, Rothstein became an assistant with the Cleveland Cavaliers for six seasons before returning to Miami to coach the Sol in 2000.

"I'm thrilled for the opportunity to come to work for the Pacers' organization," Rothstein said. "I'm not sure that it gets any bettern than to have the chance to work with (Pacers CEO and president) Donnie Walsh, (president of basketball operations) Larry Bird and Isiah Thomas and the rest of the Pacers' staff as well as with a talented team. Hopefully, we'll have a great year."