PDA

View Full Version : *Official* UFC 81 Thread - Sylvia vs. Nogueira



cornbread
01-30-2008, 06:00 PM
UFC 81: Breaking Point
February 2, 2008
Mandalay Bay Events Center, Nevada

Tim Sylvia vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
Frank Mir vs. Brock Lesnar
Jeremy Horn vs. Nate Marquardt
Ricardo Almeida vs. Alan Belcher
Gleison Tibau vs. Tyson Griffin
Chris Lytle vs. Kyle Bradley
Marvin Eastman vs. Terry Martin
David Heath vs. Tim Boetsch
Keita Nakamura vs. Rob Emerson


I have a feeling that The Beastman will get his first UFC win on Saturday!

LEONARD
01-30-2008, 06:48 PM
Couture thinks Sylvia will win
http://www.calgarysun.com/cgi-bin/publish.cgi?x=blogs&d=blogs&s=scrapyard&p=6

Interview with Nog’s BJJ coach
http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles.asp?n_id=11041

Frank Mir Road to 81 videos
http://www.mmaontap.com/mma/entry/road-to-ufc-81-frank-mir-episode-two/
http://mmamania.com/2008/01/25/frank-mir-plans-to-show-brock-lesnar-he-made-a-mistake-signing-on-to-ufc-81-fight-video/
http://bloodyelbow.com/story/2008/1/30/9329/61474#readmore

Mir interviews
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=5579
http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles.asp?n_id=11058

If Lesnar wins he’ll probably headline UFC 86 in England
http://mmajunkie.com/2008/01/23/report-brock-lesnar-could-headline-ufc-86/

Mir and Lesnar video interviews
http://bloodyelbow.com/story/2008/1/29/20120/2975

Tim Sylvia interview
http://mmamania.com/2008/01/25/ufc-quick-quote-tim-sylvia-minotauro-nogueira-fight-and-more/

Poor Tim...no respect…
http://bloodyelbow.com/story/2008/1/25/175319/019

Maybe this is why?? (
http://bloodyelbow.com/story/2008/1/29/92944/4823

Tyson Griffin audio interview
http://www.jarrypark.com/2008/01/28/tyson-griffin-is-mr-fight-of-the-night/

Lesnar…oops
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ea15p4hM_3M

Tyson Griffin interview
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=5585

Evan
01-30-2008, 07:08 PM
I just can't place Mir Vs Lesnar but I am leaning towards Lesnar

Tim Sylvia vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
Frank Mir vs. Brock Lesnar
Jeremy Horn vs. Nate Marquardt (bad fight for Nate)
Ricardo Almeida vs. Alan Belcher
Gleison Tibau vs. Tyson Griffin
Chris Lytle vs. Kyle Bradley
Marvin Eastman vs. Terry Martin
David Heath vs. Tim Boetsch
Keita Nakamura vs. Rob Emerson

dallaskd
01-30-2008, 10:38 PM
Tim Sylvia vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
Frank Mir vs. Brock Lesnar
Jeremy Horn vs. Nate Marquardt
Ricardo Almeida vs. Alan Belcher
Gleison Tibau vs. Tyson Griffin
Chris Lytle vs. Kyle Bradley
Marvin Eastman vs. Terry Martin
David Heath vs. Tim Boetsch
Keita Nakamura vs. Rob Emerson

F&%k rob emerson

dallaskd
01-30-2008, 10:38 PM
belcher is out right?

spurs=bling
01-31-2008, 12:49 AM
Tim Sylvia vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
Frank Mir vs. Brock Lesnar
Jeremy Horn vs. Nate Marquardt
Ricardo Almeida vs. Alan Belcher
Gleison Tibau vs. Tyson Griffin
Chris Lytle vs. Kyle Bradley
Marvin Eastman vs. Terry Martin
David Heath vs. Tim Boetsch
Keita Nakamura vs. Rob Emerson

dallaskd
01-31-2008, 12:51 AM
01/30/2008
Yundt to replace Belcher on UFC 81 Card Thomas Gerbasi, UFC -

Unbeaten UFC newcomer Rob Yundt (7-0) has stepped in on short notice to replace middleweight up and comer Alan Belcher against Ricardo Almeida on Saturday night's UFC 81 card in Las Vegas. Belcher was forced to withdraw from the bout due to a severe case of bronchitis.

dallaskd
01-31-2008, 12:51 AM
either way i see Almeida by submission

Rip-Hamilton32
01-31-2008, 01:51 AM
i got brock over mir, havent really seen mir much but i think lesnar will be to strong for him

cornbread
01-31-2008, 01:56 AM
Tim Sylvia vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
Frank Mir vs. Brock Lesnar
Jeremy Horn vs. Nate Marquardt
Ricardo Almeida vs. Alan Belcher
Gleison Tibau vs. Tyson Griffin
Chris Lytle vs. Kyle Bradley
Marvin Eastman vs. Terry Martin
David Heath vs. Tim Boetsch
Keita Nakamura vs. Rob Emerson

ATRAIN
01-31-2008, 08:58 AM
I cringe every time I have to see Sylvia fight.

Evan
01-31-2008, 09:01 AM
I cringe every time I have to see Sylvia fight.

Yeah me too. As I have said countless times he is a decent fighter at best who simply has a crazy size advantage.

Ugh....

still debating buying this card. If I get this and 82 I am estimating my cable bill to be around $230...hahaha :drunk

I really wish I had some friends who were MMA fans so we could start splitting PPV's...

LEONARD...move closer dude...

LEONARD
01-31-2008, 09:21 AM
ha...no way I'm moving anywhere close to Dallas holmes!

Tim Sylvia vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
Frank Mir vs. Brock Lesnar
Jeremy Horn vs. Nate Marquardt
Gleison Tibau vs. Tyson Griffin
Ricardo Almeida vs. Rob Yundt
Chris Lytle vs. Kyle Bradley
Marvin Eastman vs. Terry Martin
David Heath vs. Tim Boetsch
Keita Nakamura vs. Rob Emerson

:dizzy

Evan
01-31-2008, 09:40 AM
We need vBookie!!!!!!!

LEONARD
01-31-2008, 10:11 AM
I’m a huge fan of Griffin and Horn, despite not picking them. I think Tibau-Griffin will be fight of the night…

If Tim Sylvia wins, I’m going to cry…seriously. If he wins a boring, jabbing, pushing up against the fence decision especially. Hopefully Nog breaks his other arm…

And I’d really like to see Mir armbar Lesnar…I don’t think I’m ready for the dumbass WWE fans if Lesnar wins…I can only imagine the conclusions some will draw from this one fight.

and fuck Rob Emerson...that little prick doesn't deserve to be on ANY card...

desflood
01-31-2008, 11:19 AM
Tim Sylvia vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
Frank Mir vs. Brock Lesnar
Jeremy Horn vs. Nate Marquardt
Ricardo Almeida vs. Alan Belcher
Gleison Tibau vs. Tyson Griffin
Chris Lytle vs. Kyle Bradley
Marvin Eastman vs. Terry Martin
David Heath vs. Tim Boetsch
Keita Nakamura vs. Rob Emerson

Tim Sylvia is growing on me (how the hell did THAT happen? :dizzy ), but I don't see him beating Nog. I always felt that Mir was overrated, his fights have mostly been crap since the accident, and Lesnar's just too strong for him. Period.

And I agree: F*ck Rob Emerson.

Evan
01-31-2008, 11:40 AM
Tim Sylvia is growing on me (how the hell did THAT happen? :dizzy ).

Did you read Matt's book?

desflood
01-31-2008, 11:45 AM
No. Don't like Hughes enough to read his book :lol

Evan
01-31-2008, 11:48 AM
Ok because I read his book and it made me like Tim a little more.

Its pretty good stuff even if you don't like him.

LEONARD
01-31-2008, 12:04 PM
All Access: Brock Lesnar debuts tonight on Spike :fro

Poor Tim...they spent about 5 min's on him on Countdown last night...no love for Timmy...

desflood
01-31-2008, 12:15 PM
Ok because I read his book and it made me like Tim a little more.

Its pretty good stuff even if you don't like him.
Can you give me a quick, general rehash? Or is that too much for you?

Evan
01-31-2008, 01:11 PM
It’s a typical bio that is a lot like Jen's but much longer and gives you a much better insight of his personality. Hughes is very blunt and honest. He is very critical of everyone but more so of himself. He is definitely proud of himself and has a massive ego but what successful fighter isn't?

He starts off hating Tim and Randy but then grows to respect both of them.

I liked the behind the scenes stuff more than anything.

It even touched on him, Jeremy Horn and Royce Gracie throwing fights over seas in the UAE for some sheiks.

What happened was they were all trying to get bonuses for best take downs, fastest finishes etc. Matt paired up with Horn and Royce paired up with a student, all of them were doing their best to toss the fights to get a few extra grand.

Which was confusing to me because when I heard the story a year ago from Gross I could have sworn it was Matt and Horn throwing the fight and Royce's student simply letting him win fast to show respect to his master. Silly me! Guess I got confused!

This is all on youtube if you want to see it. Just Type in Matt Hughes Vs Jeremy Horn.

Evan
01-31-2008, 01:14 PM
Oh and by the way...if you think Hughes is an ass this book will not change your mind whatsoever. He is a complete ass and makes it very clear he is one to anyone who wasn't sure.

LEONARD
01-31-2008, 01:14 PM
Did anybody else chuckle during Countdown last night when they were showing Sylvia training and it looked like he's never stepped foot in a gym before? He was jumping up on stools and it looked like he could bust his ass at any second (Nog did the same thing except he was jumping up onto a desk that was about 36" tall or so) The kettle bells appeared to be kicking his ass too. He just looked so slow and weak after watching Nog train...

So frustrating/awkward to watch Tim do ANYTHING...

:dizzy

Edit
Start about 40% thru this to see what I'm referring to
http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x48314

Evan
01-31-2008, 01:15 PM
Did anybody else chuckle during Countdown last night when they were showing Sylvia training and it looked like he's never stepped foot in a gym before? He was jumping up on stools and it looked like he could bust his ass at any second (Nog did the same thing except he was jumping up onto a desk that was about 36" tall or so) The kettle bells appeared to be kicking his ass too. He just looked so slow and weak after watching Nog train...

So frustrating/awkward to watch Tim do ANYTHING...

:dizzy

Didn't catch it, I will probably watch it tomorrow.

dbreiden83080
01-31-2008, 02:50 PM
This is an interesting card, for sure. Tim Sylvia i just have no use for. It is funny on Countdown last night they spent half of his segment talking about how the fans hate him and nomatter what he does they "Won't show him the love". He is just a boring guy and he has a boring style of fighting as well, he better win this fight for the sake of his career.

Lesner and Mir is a really tough call. We all know that Mir is talented and was once a hell of a fighter but he has never been the same since his accident. He seems fired up for this fight and has a very good shot to submit Brock but i don't know, something just tells me that Brock is going to take him down with ease and be able to hurt him on the ground and finish him off. Watch Mir get a quick submission and i will have egg on my face come Sunday though. :p:

Evan
01-31-2008, 03:13 PM
This is an interesting card, for sure. Tim Sylvia i just have no use for. It is funny on Countdown last night they spent half of his segment talking about how the fans hate him and nomatter what he does they "Won't show him the love". He is just a boring guy and he has a boring style of fighting as well, he better win this fight for the sake of his career. :


All he has to do is "bring the fight" to whoever he is facing. He is just so passive and scared to lose. He isn't very aggressive at all.

People would love him if he went down swinging...

and perhaps get rid of that hillbilly hair cut... :spin

dbreiden83080
01-31-2008, 03:35 PM
All he has to do is "bring the fight" to whoever he is facing. He is just so passive and scared to lose. He isn't very aggressive at all.

People would love him if he went down swinging...

and perhaps get rid of that hillbilly hair cut... :spin

agreed, i lost all patience with Sylvia when he fought Jeff Monson. Jeff by RD 4 was dead ass tired, he was telegraphing his takedowns, he was beat up and begging Tim to knock him out. All Sylvia had to do was be agressive and throw some combinations and he would not do it out of fear of the takedown. Then of course Randy comes in and beat the hell out of him. We'll see i have a bad feeling this fight with Nog will be another boring ass Sylvia fight, nomatter who wins.

Evan
01-31-2008, 04:00 PM
Yeah Sylvia could have won that fight with Randy had he been aggressive, hell even Randy said so.

And the thing is, Randy (aka the prophet) even said before the fight that was one if Tim's major weaknesses. I think he even initially brough it up in the Monson fight if I am not mistaken.

Its why fans have somewhat turned on Arlovski. I was screaming at the last AA vs Sylvia fight for someone to take it. They just kept staring at each other chipping away with with weak attacks.

dbreiden83080
01-31-2008, 04:10 PM
Yeah Sylvia could have won that fight with Randy had he been aggressive, hell even Randy said so.

And the thing is, Randy (aka the prophet) even said before the fight that was one if Tim's major weaknesses. I think he even initially brough it up in the Monson fight if I am not mistaken.

Its why fans have somewhat turned on Arlovski. I was screaming at the last AA vs Sylvia fight for someone to take it. They just kept staring at each other chipping away with with weak attacks.

Yes and AA should have crushed Sylvia in that 3rd fight. He beat him the first time and in the 2nd fight he was crushing him with leg kicks, jabs and right hands. He has so much more hand speed and talent on his feet than Tim it is crazy. He landed that big punch and then Sylvia got up and threw a lucky BOMB from way out in left field that caught AA coming in, he got a little reckless. 3rd fight AA, was thinking about that KO, he suffered and it showed. He did not let it go really at any point and if he had i think he would have won the fight.

oligarchy
01-31-2008, 04:14 PM
Tim Sylvia vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
Frank Mir vs. Brock Lesnar
Jeremy Horn vs. Nate Marquardt
Gleison Tibau vs. Tyson Griffin
Ricardo Almeida vs. Rob Yundt
Chris Lytle vs. Kyle Bradley
Marvin Eastman vs. Terry Martin
David Heath vs. Tim Boetsch
Keita Nakamura vs. Rob Emerson

:downspin:

Evan
01-31-2008, 04:19 PM
Yes and AA should have crushed Sylvia in that 3rd fight. He beat him the first time and in the 2nd fight he was crushing him with leg kicks, jabs and right hands. He has so much more hand speed and talent on his feet than Tim it is crazy. He landed that big punch and then Sylvia got up and threw a lucky BOMB from way out in left field that caught AA coming in, he got a little reckless. 3rd fight AA, was thinking about that KO, he suffered and it showed. He did not let it go really at any point and if he had i think he would have won the fight.

Unless AA knocks O'brien the f-ck out that will be 4 snooze fests in a row. And like you said, he has so much talent it's insane how passive he is. The dude is an animal.

Evan
01-31-2008, 04:21 PM
Jeremy Horn vs. Nate Marquardt

This was a toughy.

I think it's possible Horn might do something do wreck Nate's back early and game over for his career.

oligarchy
01-31-2008, 04:33 PM
This was a toughy.

I think it's possible Horn might do something do wreck Nate's back early and game over for his career.

Do what? Are you thinking Nate Quarry?

Evan
01-31-2008, 04:37 PM
Do what? Are you thinking Nate Quarry?

No sir. Doesn't he have a nasty disc problem and he keeps putting off surgery?

Wasn't that one theory for him taking steroids?

I could be wrong here...

dbreiden83080
01-31-2008, 04:39 PM
Tim Sylvia vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
Frank Mir vs. Brock Lesnar
Jeremy Horn vs. Nate Marquardt
Gleison Tibau vs. Tyson Griffin
Ricardo Almeida vs. Rob Yundt
Chris Lytle vs. Kyle Bradley
Marvin Eastman vs. Terry Martin
David Heath vs. Tim Boetsch
Keita Nakamura vs. Rob Emerson

:downspin:

We agree on all of the above, i am really unsure about Lesner though, that will be a very interesting fight and i am hoping Tim loses.

dbreiden83080
01-31-2008, 04:41 PM
No sir. Doesn't he have a nasty disc problem and he keeps putting off surgery?

Wasn't that one theory for him taking steroids?

I could be wrong here...

Can you help me out with something?? What is all this talk with steroids and MMA these days?? I read on Sherdog there is suspicion about GSP and ROIDS, the commisions test for all that stuff right?? I mean Sherk got busted didn't he?? I know GSP has never failed a test.

Evan
01-31-2008, 04:46 PM
Can you help me out with something?? What is all this talk with steroids and MMA these days?? I read on Sherdog there is suspicion about GSP and ROIDS, the commisions test for all that stuff right?? I mean Sherk got busted didn't he?? I know GSP has never failed a test.


Its a huge problem right now. This sport is growing so fast I think a lot of guys are doing everything they can to jump ahead and aren't thinking.

And if you go to sherdog people say negative stuff about everyone. :)

The commision has a new pretty tough policy on this starting this week.

http://mmajunkie.com/2008/01/30/nsac-executive-director-keith-kizer-discusses-year-round-drug-testing-an-mmajunkiecom-interview/

Evan
01-31-2008, 04:47 PM
No sir. Doesn't he have a nasty disc problem and he keeps putting off surgery?

Wasn't that one theory for him taking steroids?

I could be wrong here...


Scratch my comment here...I can't find anything to back up what I said. I have had this thought in me head for awhile now, I don't where I picked it up.

dbreiden83080
01-31-2008, 04:48 PM
Its a huge problem right now. This sport is growing so fast I think a lot of guys are doing everything they can to jump ahead and aren't thinking.

And if you go to sherdog people say negative stuff about everyone. :)

The commision has a new pretty tough policy on this starting this week.

http://mmajunkie.com/2008/01/30/nsac-executive-director-keith-kizer-discusses-year-round-drug-testing-an-mmajunkiecom-interview/

I see, thanks i appreciate the knowledge. :)

Evan
01-31-2008, 04:50 PM
I could be wrong but I believe more fighters fail for marijuana than steroids.

oligarchy
01-31-2008, 05:05 PM
No sir. Doesn't he have a nasty disc problem and he keeps putting off surgery?

Wasn't that one theory for him taking steroids?

I could be wrong here...

You could be right. I thought he had knee problems way back then.

LEONARD
01-31-2008, 07:18 PM
Sylvia working on his gameplan...

http://www.sherdog.com/_images/pictures/55/55329.jpg

:lol

Evan
01-31-2008, 07:27 PM
awesome! hahahahahahahaha

sa_butta
01-31-2008, 07:32 PM
Hey thats alot of weight to be hangin on someone, maybe he can drop em with dead weight.

Evan
01-31-2008, 07:48 PM
You could be right. I thought he had knee problems way back then.

I have looked again a few times and I can find zero to back up what I said.

Like I said before, I can't figure out where that thought got into my head. I must have heard it as speculation on a story years ago when he has that steroid issue and taken it as fact. :drunk :drunk :drunk :drunk :drunk :drunk :drunk

Evan
01-31-2008, 11:00 PM
I am watching countdown to 81...

Damn Mir's left knee is so rickety...this fight will rely on the base strength of both fighters which comes form their lower body. If this fight goes over 1 round it goes to Lesnar. Anything less than it goes to Mir.

Lesnar won't get the big stage freak out and his cardio looks awesome. Mir's has never been good. WWE being fake or not, those guys are in shape and can take a beating.

My common sense screams to take Mir though...lol

Sticking with Lesnar.

sa_butta
02-01-2008, 09:15 AM
For the two main cards Im going with Nogueira by submission.
And Im takin Lesnar, I dont know how, but I think he will pull it off.

LEONARD
02-01-2008, 10:01 AM
Mir by flying knee in rd 1 when Lesnar shoots a double... :ihit

Evan
02-01-2008, 10:07 AM
Mir can't do anything with that knee...that thing looked brutal when he was training on countdown to 81.

LEONARD
02-01-2008, 06:43 PM
Weigh-in's live at 6:00 CT

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=9890

dallaskd
02-01-2008, 10:54 PM
This was a toughy.

I think it's possible Horn might do something do wreck Nate's back early and game over for his career.

Within Horn coming off a loss and maybe his last chace in the UFC, I say he pulls out a nasty sub.

dallaskd
02-01-2008, 10:58 PM
I know Mir is great at JJ but wouldnt it be smart to keep this one on the feet and throw hands(and kicks) with an untested striker in Lesner?

And im diggin Leo's perdiction with the flying knee but I think it may be a sherk-franca thing where the wrestler is unable to be KO'd by the knees and LnP for the decision. I know he has a big ass head/neck but we dont know how strong Brock's chin is and if he can strike yet. Has he ever really been hit before?

Rip-Hamilton32
02-01-2008, 11:06 PM
brock knocked him self out in a wwe match before when he did a flip from the top rope so i donno how solid is chin is lol

Evan
02-01-2008, 11:08 PM
Has he ever really been hit before?

I feel dirty for saying this but those WWF guys take a beating fake or not.

dallaskd
02-01-2008, 11:13 PM
Ok im talking about like a freaking Cro Cop kick from hell to his cranium. or maybe like a hard right to the jaw.

Evan
02-01-2008, 11:16 PM
Ok im talking about like a freaking Cro Cop kick from hell to his cranium. or maybe like a hard right to the jaw.

True.

The ultimate question.

Still debating buying this....

dallaskd
02-01-2008, 11:25 PM
they only way lesnar winning is laying on Mir for 3 rounds.

Evan
02-01-2008, 11:29 PM
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (237) vs. Tim Sylvia (261)
Brock Lesnar (265) vs. Frank Mir (255)
Jeremy Horn (185) vs. Nate Marquardt (185)
Ricardo Almeida (185) vs. Rob Yundt (185)
Tyson Griffin (155) vs. Gleison Tibau (156)
Kyle Bradley (170) vs. Chris Lytle (170)
Tim Boetsch (205) vs. David Heath (205)
Marvin Eastman (185) vs. Terry Martin (186)
Rob Emerson (155) vs. Keita Nakamura (155)

LEONARD
02-02-2008, 04:51 PM
I think Mir should attack with legkicks to try to slow Lesnar down...his legs aren't really all that big compared to his upper body...who knows how well he can take kicks either...

Mir appears to be in decent shape...Tim a little lighter than usual (no weight cut?)...Nog a little heavier (would rather see him around 230)...

Weigh-in pics
http://69.46.29.2:8080/absoluteig/gallery.asp?categoryid=2848

video is up too
http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=Multimedia.home

http://69.46.29.2:8080/absoluteig/gallery/ULTIMATE%20FIGHTING%20CHAMPIONSHIPS/UFC_81/weigh/22_FrankMirUFC81weigh.jpg

http://69.46.29.2:8080/absoluteig/gallery/ULTIMATE%20FIGHTING%20CHAMPIONSHIPS/UFC_81/weigh/23_BrockLesnarUFC81weigh.jpg

http://69.46.29.2:8080/absoluteig/gallery/ULTIMATE%20FIGHTING%20CHAMPIONSHIPS/UFC_81/weigh/25_RodrigoNogueiraUFC81weig.jpg

lol
http://69.46.29.2:8080/absoluteig/gallery/ULTIMATE%20FIGHTING%20CHAMPIONSHIPS/UFC_81/weigh/26_TimSylviaUFC81weigh.jpg

http://69.46.29.2:8080/absoluteig/gallery/ULTIMATE%20FIGHTING%20CHAMPIONSHIPS/UFC_81/weigh/27_SylviaNogueiraUFC81weigh.jpg

dallaskd
02-02-2008, 10:39 PM
anyone catch that after the griffin fight, Goldy said Text a or b to some number for who you think will win the fight with brock lesnar and tim sylvia. :lol

dallaskd
02-02-2008, 10:44 PM
haha as yundt comes into the octagon he Bruce Buffers face is right in the camera and trys to juke out of the way. they also said yundt is making his MMA debut tonight. hah

dallaskd
02-02-2008, 11:56 PM
good bye David Heath. please dont come back.

Mr Dio
02-02-2008, 11:59 PM
Wow, Lesnar looked way better than Cop did in his first real UFC fight(Not EA). Lesnar actually threw some real blows & didn't look overmatched striking.

dallaskd
02-03-2008, 12:02 AM
what a showing by Mir. Lesnar looked real good. Im excited to see Brock in a couple years after he has some training under his belt.

I got Almeida by sub. ahh i thought Jeremy had marquardt. I think Horn is a good gate keeper for the UFC but it would probably be smarter for him to go to a smaller org and be a long time champ.

desflood
02-03-2008, 12:09 AM
Fuck me. U-Verse just cut off right at the beginning of the main event because "your ppv rental has expired".

Mr Dio
02-03-2008, 12:18 AM
I bet Minnie thinks he just beat the best HW in the UFC? :lol

dallaskd
02-03-2008, 12:18 AM
Woooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Chookkkee!!!!

dallaskd
02-03-2008, 12:28 AM
I dont want to sound like a douche but it seems like Nog has a weak chin. Hes a fighter and rises against when he gets rocked but i dont think his reign as champ will last long. For some reason i somehow i fell bad for Sylvia. i think he gained some fans in this one.

dallaskd
02-03-2008, 12:32 AM
wow so who gets sub of the night Mir or Nog. Lytle with the KO of the night. :ihit

dbreiden83080
02-03-2008, 12:40 AM
DAMN, Brock sure impressed me in that fight. Mir should thank his lucky stars Brock is still very inexperienced on submission defense because he was getting his butt handed to him in that fight. Brock is so big, strong and madly athletic. This was a good thing for the UFC. Mir won so they can sell another fight with him but Brock was very impressive and showed he belongs in the UFC, so they can for sure sell him as legit. Think about it, he took down a former UFC heavyweight champ with ease and was hammering him before he got submitted in only his 2nd MMA fight. Sky is the limit for this guy, just keep working Brock.

Evan
02-03-2008, 12:42 AM
Fuck me. U-Verse just cut off right at the beginning of the main event because "your ppv rental has expired".

:bang

U-Verse is the biggest POS system ever created.

4 months later and they have yet to manage to collect their equipment from me or give me my refund.

Evan
02-03-2008, 12:44 AM
I dont want to sound like a douche but it seems like Nog has a weak chin.

Kinda...its they way he always does his thing. He just always gets his ass kicked yet still wins.

I don't meant to sound negative but he is not a cerebral fighter, just pure instinct.

Evan
02-03-2008, 12:44 AM
Lesnar is very impressive. He simply needs experience.

Evan
02-03-2008, 12:46 AM
wow so who gets sub of the night Mir or Nog. Lytle with the KO of the night. :ihit

My guess is Mir.

dbreiden83080
02-03-2008, 12:47 AM
Lesnar is very impressive. He simply needs experience.

Dude were you as shocked as i was that he manhandled Frank like that?? I mean he threw him around like a rag doll. He got a little too agressive there is what cost him but that will all come with more fights, he'd be crazy to walk away after that performance.

dallaskd
02-03-2008, 12:50 AM
Im loving how Heath got thrown like a rag doll and got Ko'd. :lol

Evan
02-03-2008, 01:20 AM
Dude were you as shocked as i was that he manhandled Frank like that?? I mean he threw him around like a rag doll. He got a little too agressive there is what cost him but that will all come with more fights, he'd be crazy to walk away after that performance.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing with him. He looked amazing.

But the fact is he made a rookie mistake walking across Mir like that. Ugh...thats just lack of experience though.

Very excited to see Lesnar again.

dbreiden83080
02-03-2008, 01:37 AM
I couldn't believe what I was seeing with him. He looked amazing.

But the fact is he made a rookie mistake walking across Mir like that. Ugh...thats just lack of experience though.

Very excited to see Lesnar again.

Me too, this guy is an animal of an ahtlete. Plus not a lot of guys in the heavy division have great submissions, especially off their back. Brock just needs time to develop.

Evan
02-03-2008, 12:11 PM
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c327/Bad_Intentions/sylviapunch.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c327/Bad_Intentions/sylviapunch2.jpg

Evan
02-03-2008, 12:14 PM
I think we can finally put to be the UFC vs PRIDE fighter debates to rest for good. Personally I hated them because they always ended up in raging trolling.

In the end it will probably be a 50/50 record against each other. The die hard fans probably overrated PRIDE a tad and underrated UFC a tad.

Meanwhile most fans hadn't a clue such a fierce debate was going on...

Rip-Hamilton32
02-03-2008, 05:15 PM
only the 2nd time ive seen a fight stood up after a bunch to the back of the head, even though half of the ground and pound punches when the fighter has the back mounted are to the back of the head, is there anyone stronger then lesnar?

dbreiden83080
02-03-2008, 06:16 PM
is there anyone stronger then lesnar?

Nope and i don't think that is even close. This guy is a very unique athlete and with more training and experience, look out UFC.

oligarchy
02-04-2008, 10:10 AM
only the 2nd time ive seen a fight stood up after a bunch to the back of the head, even though half of the ground and pound punches when the fighter has the back mounted are to the back of the head, is there anyone stronger then lesnar?

Typically there is a warning. I thought it was weird that they were stood up and a point was taken.

Evan
02-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Typically there is a warning. I thought it was weird that they were stood up and a point was taken.

Especially when Mir moved his head into Lesnars strikes

TheTruth
02-04-2008, 11:01 AM
Yeah, to me that was a bullshit stand up. Yell a warning. Don't stand them up after a questionable blow to the back of the head. It had more to do with Mir turning into it, than anything Lesnar was doing. Where are you Big John?

dbreiden83080
02-04-2008, 01:56 PM
Yeah, to me that was a bullshit stand up. Yell a warning. Don't stand them up after a questionable blow to the back of the head. It had more to do with Mir turning into it, than anything Lesnar was doing. Where are you Big John?

And Brock had Mir in trouble right there. He landed a big right to the side of the head and was hammering away. I am not saying he would have finished Frank, but he had him in trouble with the position he had and what he was landing. Mazzagetti reffed the GSP/Hughes 3 fight and when GSP was on top of Hughes, had his back in RD 1 he warned George more than once to watch the back of the head, no pts taken away and no standup. I thought he was out of line doing that Brock.

LEONARD
02-04-2008, 02:51 PM
Nog :fro
Mir :fro
Griffin :fro
Almeida :fro

If only Horn had won (how sweet would it have been if he gogo’d Nate?) and Emerson had lost…


I think we can finally put to be the UFC vs PRIDE fighter debates to rest for good. Personally I hated them because they always ended up in raging trolling.

In the end it will probably be a 50/50 record against each other. The die hard fans probably overrated PRIDE a tad and underrated UFC a tad.

Meanwhile most fans hadn't a clue such a fierce debate was going on...

True…Pride fans over-rated Pride and under-rated the UFC, and vice versa. It’s typical with any debate…Ford vs Chevy, etc.

However, when you look at the current belt picture…

HW – Pride (with Pride getting the next title shot – Werdum)
LHW – Pride (and the last contender was Pride also – Hendo)
MW – Silva fought all over, but he was promoted as coming over from Japan by the UFC, Leben, etc. Call him what you want. Next fight is with Pride MW champ Hendo, who will beat him.
WW – no WW division in Pride…Gono is the only guy that comes to mind that has come from Pride and fought at 170 (he’s 1-0 in UFC).
LW – haven’t signed anybody from Pride yet, unless you count Mishima :lol

That’s a lot of Pride guys with belts and in title fights coming up…pretty surprising for such a group of over-rated, roid using, spares (according to some on this forum) :dizzy

Crocop has clearly been the biggest flop…reserving judgement on Shogun until he’s healthy. I wouldn’t be surprised if Chuck beats him in June. I really think him and Wanderlei should move to MW.

Dana still has hate for the Pride guys despite having so many ex-Pride fighters at the top of 3 of his divisions, as is evident in his post fight comments on the radio…
http://mrsunshinevegas.wordpress.com/2008/02/03/the-jewelers-of-las-vegas-post-fight-show/
On UFC vs. PRIDE: The Pride fighters didn't flop. I think what happened was we went out and we acquired PRIDE; and these are the fights that everyone has been wanting to see forever. To me that's not a flop. I've been saying for years; let's do UFC vs. PRIDE. Let's put our guys against their guys. You know, it's not a flop. Those guys came in and lost.
On Couture and Fedor Emelianenko: Randy Couture right now is the best fighter in the world. Fedor is a farce. He just fought "Long Duck Dong"...we'll just call him that. It's a joke. This guy hasn't beat anybody since 2005 and you know who was the last guy he beat in 2005? Mirko Crocop, who just lost to two guy's that nobody's...you know.
Damn…no love for his current champs at HW, LHW, and MW I guess… :lol

Fedor beat Nog twice, who is now the UFC HW champ. It’s so delicious that Dana turned on Fedor after he didn’t sign with the UFC, after saying “I’ll have Fedor” for so long…love it.

It's too bad we won't get Nog vs Randy...I think Tim was a worse matchup for Nog than Randy is...


I dont want to sound like a douche but it seems like Nog has a weak chin. Hes a fighter and rises against when he gets rocked but i dont think his reign as champ will last long. For some reason i somehow i fell bad for Sylvia. i think he gained some fans in this one.

He still has a better chin than most…and more importantly, recovery ability and heart. What a champion and a warrior…


Yeah, to me that was a bullshit stand up. Yell a warning. Don't stand them up after a questionable blow to the back of the head. It had more to do with Mir turning into it, than anything Lesnar was doing. Where are you Big John?

It was definitely more than one blow...when they showed the replay, it was only the 2nd set of punches to the back of the head that they showed. Rogan’s comments didn’t help…he mentioned that it was just one punch which isn’t correct.

IMO, it was 2-3 the first time starting at 4:39 (which he may have been warned for...hard to hear over the crowd), and a couple more at 4:36. The rules don't require that a warning be given before a point is taken...it's up to the ref and how much damage was done by the violation.

http://i27.tinypic.com/erzkaf.gif

Here is BJM's take on it and other HW stuff...

- felt that Lesnar should have received a warning, but wouldn't have given him a point deduction b/c the punches to the back of the head were not intentional since Mir turned his head towards him, but agreed that Mazzagatti had the right to make the decision
- stated that it's important for refs to be consistent with their calls so the fighters know what to expect
- didn't feel that Mir was the right choice for Brock's first fight, Cheik Kongo was BJM's ideal opponent for Brock, and would expect him to be Brock's next fight
- Brock won't sharpen his striking skills by his next fight, but is capable of taking down any HW and using a GnP
- Mir doesn't deserve a HW title shot in his next fight b/c he was destroyed by Brandon Vera before winning his last 2 fights against guys who aren't top contenders in Hardonk and Lesnar (pointed out that beating a guy 1-0 does not mean a title shot in his next fight)
- Mir-Sylvia 2 would be an ideal next match to stir up interest for both fighters
- believes that Dana pretty much gave Werdum the #1 contender status at the prior PPV, so expects Nogueira-Werdum 2 to be the next HW title fight

Evan
02-04-2008, 03:08 PM
Excellent post LEONARD...agree with everything except for the one thing you knew I would have a problem with...


MW – Silva fought all over, but he was promoted as coming over from Japan by the UFC, Leben, etc. Call him what you want. Next fight is with Pride MW champ Hendo, who will beat him.

Silva is the ultimate Ronin fighter since he bounced around all over the place before he came over here. They promoted him as a PRIDE fighter because they thought Rich would smash him. Thus a UFC guy trounces a PRIDE guy.

Otherwise Josh Barnett and Wandy should be "UFC guys" but that is not the case since while they initially fought in the UFC they found their elite stride in PRIDE.

If anything he is a UFC fighter since that is where he found his stride. That in my opinion is what defines a guy with an organization. Where did you find your champion stride.

LEONARD
02-04-2008, 03:17 PM
Excellent post LEONARD...agree with everything except for the one thing you knew I would have a problem with...

Silva is the ultimate Ronin fighter since he bounced around all over the place before he came over here. They promoted him as a PRIDE fighter because they thought Rich would smash him. Thus a UFC guy trounces a PRIDE guy.

Otherwise Josh Barnett and Wandy should be "UFC guys" but that is not the case since while they initially fought in the UFC they found their elite stride in PRIDE.

If anything he is a UFC fighter since that is where he found his stride. That in my opinion is what defines a guy with an organization. Where did you find your champion stride.

Maybe that's just where he fought his weakest competition? ;)

I agree that Anderson Silva is a bit of a nomad. The fact that the UFC pushed him as "Pride" is the reason I consider him Pride. The reason many fans don't call him Pride is because he did smash Rich. Had he lost, it would've been "UFC beat Pride" but since he didn't, he's a UFC guy now...eh, whatever. Hendo is going to beat him anyway, and I think everybody agrees that he's a Pride guy :fro

Evan
02-04-2008, 03:23 PM
Maybe that's just where he fought his weakest competition? ;)

I really think it's a simply matter of him finding his stride in Cage Rage then further onto the UFC.


The fact that the UFC pushed him as "Pride" is the reason I consider him Pride.

Well that's your opinion... fair enough... but I find it odd. :p:


The reason many fans don't call him Pride is because he did smash Rich. Had he lost, it would've been "UFC beat Pride" but since he didn't, he's a UFC guy now...eh, whatever.

EDIT - I change my mind. You're right, people are stupid.


Hendo is going to beat him anyway

I am not sure. Right now I am leaning to Silva still.

LEONARD
02-04-2008, 03:33 PM
lol...

It'll be one hell of a fight...Hendo has never been KO'd and he'll certainly be able to take Silva down often. Big Nog had a hard time sub'ing Dan, so it won't be easy for Silva to do it off his back...

LEONARD
02-04-2008, 03:34 PM
Why you can't look at a fighter after a fight to decide who won... :lol

Winners
http://www.cdn.sherdog.com/_images/pictures/55/55465.jpg

http://www.cdn.sherdog.com/_images/pictures/55/55473.jpg
(did he get attacked by a cougar? lol )

Losers
http://www.cdn.sherdog.com/_images/pictures/55/55472.jpg

http://www.cdn.sherdog.com/_images/pictures/55/55474.jpg

Funny
http://www.cdn.sherdog.com/_images/pictures/55/55469.jpg

lots of afterparty pics here
http://vegas.napkinnights.com/pics/

Lil Nog sighting (I think he was in Nog's corner?)...either that or Big Nog heals really fast (pic mis-labeled). Lil Nog won his fight on Friday in HCF. He needs to be in the UFC too damnit...
http://vegas.img.napkinnights.com/pics/albums/vegas/020208pure/1019.jpg

Evan
02-04-2008, 03:38 PM
By the way...lets get some love going for Tim Boetsch

MAIN CARD

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira def. Tim Sylvia via Submission (Guillotine) Rd3.
Frank Mir def. Brock Lesnar via Submission (Leg Lock) Rd 1.
Nate Marquardt def. Jeremy Horn via Submission (Standing Guillotine) Rd 2.
Ricardo Almeida def. Rob Yundt via Submission (Choke) Rd 1.
Tyson Griffin def. Gleison Tibau via Unanimous Decision
PRELIMINARY CARD

Chris Lytle def. Kyle Bradley via TKO (Strikes) Rd 1.
Tim Boetsch def. David Heath via TKO (Strikes) Rd 1.
Marvin Eastman def. Terry Martin via Unanimous Decision
Rob Emerson def. Keita Nakamura via Split Decision

LEONARD
02-04-2008, 03:48 PM
No doubt...I can't stand Heath...loved that beating Tim gave him :fro

dallaskd
02-04-2008, 10:50 PM
Id like to see lil nog-sokoudjou II

Evan
02-04-2008, 11:01 PM
Id like to see lil nog-sokoudjou II

I think he needs to fight someone like Bonnar next. Let him KO a TUF star who doesn't have a future in the UFC. I think Bonnar's contract is up soon and it's time to send him packing.

dallaskd
02-04-2008, 11:06 PM
I think he needs to fight someone like Bonnar next. Let him KO a TUF star who doesn't have a future in the UFC. I think Bonnar's contract is up soon and it's time to send him packing.

Bonnar is fighting Hammill on the next UFN card.

dallaskd
02-04-2008, 11:13 PM
off topic but i dont see how Werdum gets the next title shot when a month ago people were saying if Gonzaga beats Werdum, werdum is done in the UFC. And he won a lack-luster fight that was not the least beat entertaining to me.

Evan
02-05-2008, 07:58 AM
Bonnar is fighting Hammill on the next UFN card.

I know, but it would still be a good fight for him.

Evan
02-05-2008, 08:01 AM
off topic but i dont see how Werdum gets the next title shot when a month ago people were saying if Gonzaga beats Werdum, werdum is done in the UFC. And he won a lack-luster fight that was not the least beat entertaining to me.

I agree it sucks but who else?

The UFC was hoping for either AA and Vera to be contenders.

AA would be in there if he signed and extension and Vera would probably have gotten a shot had he won. At the least if he won one more.

But no matter what...they were planning on Cro Cop holding the title for two years I think.

oligarchy
02-05-2008, 08:30 AM
AA hadn't resigned. UFC doesn't give title shots to people on their last fight of their contract.

Other than that, they have absolutely nobody in the HW division. I think Mir may get a title shot soon, but then again Kongo may also, if he wins. Then maybe a Mir / Kongo, and then Mir fights for the title.

If AA resigns, which all signs are pointing to yes from what I read, he will next on the list I believe.

Evan
02-05-2008, 09:40 AM
If AA resigns, which all signs are pointing to yes from what I read, he will next on the list I believe.

Arlovski....

The most frustrating fighter in MMA? So much talent but refuses to be aggresive anymore. The guy is only 29 so he is hitting his prime. He should be dominating.

LEONARD
02-05-2008, 01:49 PM
off topic but i dont see how Werdum gets the next title shot when a month ago people were saying if Gonzaga beats Werdum, werdum is done in the UFC. And he won a lack-luster fight that was not the least beat entertaining to me.

Chute Boxe knees FTW :fro

dallaskd
02-05-2008, 05:56 PM
pit > chute boxe

LEONARD
02-05-2008, 05:58 PM
LOL...The Pit has Chuck and ?????????? Not much of a "team" as far as big names go. CB has put out way more top fighters...

dallaskd
02-05-2008, 05:59 PM
:lol im j/k

just referring to the chuck-wandy fight

dallaskd
02-05-2008, 06:08 PM
chute boxe doesnt have much in terms of smaller weight classes. american top team owns 155

LEONARD
02-05-2008, 06:13 PM
I know...Chuck will get a chance to sweep the big 2 CB guys...he better stay in shape.

Chuck beating Shogun won't surprise me at all.

1. He hasn't been the same since he dislocated his elbow against Coleman (I've said this all along, despite him winning all his fights prior to Forrest).
2. He'll be coming off knee surgery and a terrible fight.
3. He's really a MW with the way guys cut weight in the UFC and Chuck is a big LHW.

:cry


chute boxe doesnt have much in terms of smaller weight classes. american top team owns 155

Jean Silva :lol

Evan
02-05-2008, 07:36 PM
LOL...The Pit has Chuck and ?????????? Not much of a "team" as far as big names go. CB has put out way more top fighters...

Well The Pit does have some kid that was on the wildly successful and serious MMA TV show known as "TapOut"

It's a show with super cool with hip MMA guys that dress up like clowns

LEONARD
02-06-2008, 09:38 AM
Yea...that was Chuck's 135 lbs roommate / laundry boy... :lol

Seriously...

Evan
02-06-2008, 09:54 AM
If they just wouldn't dress up like that it would be an awesome show. I just can't fight through it and I try.

It really really really is a good show concept. Behind the scenes on how sponsors find fighters and help shows. How fighters find their first few fights etc. Very interesting and the show doesn't need a gimmic.

But then you see some tall dude wearing an afro wig, Elton John glasses and wearing a jock strap standing to the side and I can't take it seriously. I assume season 2 will be the same.

I would be the biggest fan of that show if they didn't dress like that. I just fixate on it.

LEONARD
02-06-2008, 10:47 AM
lol...I ignore their bit...I like the show otherwise.

Evan
02-06-2008, 10:57 AM
Man I wish I could...it's so distracting. They have such a good concept in place without the bit.

LEONARD
02-07-2008, 06:04 PM
By the way...lets get some love going for Tim Boetsch

http://www.fightlinker.com/pics/redneckjudo.jpg

:lol

Evan
02-18-2008, 07:11 PM
Report: UFC 81 Registers 650,000 PPV “Buys”
Posted by MMA Junkie on February 18, 2008 at 4:28 pm ET

Frank Mir and Brock LesnarA UFC 81 event that took place earlier this month and featured Brock Lesnar’s highly marketed UFC debut has registered approximately 650,000 pay-per-view “buys,” according to Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer.

UFC 81 took place Feb. 2 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. Although the main event featured Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira’s victory over Tim Sylvia for the UFC’s interim heavyweight title, Lesnar, a former World Wrestling Entertainment performer who took on Frank Mir, was expected to be the event’s biggest draw.

Lesnar dominated all but the last few seconds of his fight with former UFC heavyweight champ Frank Mir and ultimately suffered a submission loss (via kneebar) at 1:30 of the first round.

Just prior to UFC 81, the UFC increased the price of its stand-definition pay-per-view broadcasts from $39.95 to $44.95. Although a small number of additional buys will trickle in (cable systems have a taped version of the broadcast available for purchase), Meltzer reports that the event will be third-highest-grossing event in UFC history — behind only December 2006’s UFC 66 event (Chuck Liddell vs. Tito Ortiz II) and July 2006’s UFC 61 event (Tito Ortiz vs. Ken Shamrock II).

As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) mentioned in a UFC 81 salaries report, despite just one professional MMA fight, Lesnar earned a base salary of $250,000 for the fight. He would have earned an additional $200,000 “win bonus” with a victory. The UFC doesn’t comment on fighters’ salaries, but Lesnar’s deal in undoubtedly one of the most lucrative in the organization’s history. In addition to his base pay, Lesnar also likely earned a portion of the pay-per-view revenue.

For complete coverage of this UFC 81, including fighters salaries and the list of winners for fight-night bonuses, be sure to check out MMAjunkie.com’s UFC 81 archives.