PDA

View Full Version : Opera RULES

lefty
01-30-2008, 06:43 PM
Damn I love that browser.:married:

I had to get rid of my beloved Firefox

Dex
01-30-2008, 06:45 PM
At first I thought this was going to be about Oprah.

I really thought you were gay for a second.

marini martini
01-30-2008, 07:00 PM
Me, too :lol

Or opera singers!

lefty
01-30-2008, 07:47 PM
There's also Opera Nightclub in Montreal

Great place

marini martini
01-30-2008, 07:58 PM
There's also Opera Nightclub in Montreal

Great place

I can't imagine :lmao :lmao :lmao

Is it like kareoke?(sp)

Or is that just the music on the juke box?

lefty
01-30-2008, 08:08 PM
I can't imagine :lmao :lmao :lmao

Is it like kareoke?(sp)

Or is that just the music on the juke box?

m....:p:

No, a real trendy nightclub

Borosai
01-30-2008, 09:00 PM
Yes, very good browser.

Supreme_Being
01-31-2008, 01:49 AM
Nothing can beat Safari.

sabar
01-31-2008, 02:09 AM
Opera is easily the most secure web browser, but I'm hooked on Firefox's NoScript and Adblock. I haven't seen an online image/popup/flash ad in years.

The sone
01-31-2008, 02:58 AM
oh please do tell, do tell...what are the pluses and minuses...and c'mon e honest. im on the fox right now but always looking for the bbd!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-31-2008, 07:43 AM
Opera is easily the most secure web browser, but I'm hooked on Firefox's NoScript and Adblock. I haven't seen an online image/popup/flash ad in years.

... and foxmarks - you'll never lose your bookmarks, and you can use them anywhere.

Marhq
01-31-2008, 09:25 AM
Opera has been my browser of choice for years now, since version 4.5 or something like that.

Pros
- Speed: Opera is FAST and beats any browser in the page loading race. That has been the case the first time I tried it and it's still the case today.
- Light weight: Opera is snappier and uses less memory which makes it the best for working on old/low resources machines. It is not artificially bloated (IE) nor has memory leaks (Firefox).
- Every page you close, you can reopen with a simple click. If your system crashes, Opera will start up next time by loading the same pages you were browsing.
- Opera includes email, news feed, torrent and chat clients by default, and the download is still roughly 5 MB versus about 10 MB of Firefox and 15 MB of IE.
- Highly configurable (including the GUI).
- Speed Dial: you can have up to 9 different bookmarks presented as mini screen shots on the center of every new empty tab.
- It has its own widgets engine.
- Skins: this is utterly subjective, but I think Opera has the best skins.

Cons
- Compatibility: Opera is the most standards compliant browser so it has problems when web sites are poorly coded or are deliberately hacked/broken to work with IE (and there are lots of them.
- Is not free software and has no way of expanding it with community made plugins (just skins and widgets).
- Doesn't offer the possibility of storing bookmarks in a centralized (online) location to synchronize with other Opera installs; I believe this is coming with Opera 9.5 though.
- You can block ads or any other content but this feature is not as easily accessible as with Firefox Adblock.

Saludos.

baseline bum
01-31-2008, 02:00 PM
doesn't include the mozilla manifesto

Are you referring to about:mozilla ? :lol

http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/9423/mozillavj0.png

Fillmoe
01-31-2008, 02:03 PM
lol @ you wikipediaing the book of mozilla

Borosai
01-31-2008, 06:15 PM
In addition to the previously posted pros/cons (and what I can think of at the moment)...

Pros:
- "Open link in..." right-click menu options are great and built-in (no need for an extension)
- The Bookmarks (favorites) management window, the Transfers (download manager) window, and all wanted pop-ups are opened in new tabs (no extra windows in the taskbar)
- Skins (themes) are applied instantly without having to restart the browser
- Very stable (it has only crashed once in approx. 6 months)
- It's very easy to create custom searches for the address bar search tool

Cons:
- The built-in mail client, news reader, and torrent client are good, but not great (I don't like them enough to use them, but I read they are going to improve the mail client, so who knows)
- When you open new tabs in the background, and close the current tab, Opera falls back to the previous tab first. In Firefox (I think) it would go to the newly opened tabs before falling back to the old ones (which I prefer). It gets annoying having to click on the correct tab each time I close the current one (I hope this description makes sense).

lefty
01-31-2008, 06:32 PM
I also like the "mouse shortcuts"

Slomo
01-31-2008, 06:40 PM
I used to be a huge Opera fan, but I now use Firefox mainly because of how much problem Opera had with pages that used Java. Most of them would not work correctly in Opera. While the "IE compatible" pages are annoying and their authors should have their internet connections confiscated, you can't really avoid them and the work around in FF is better (IE Tab).

As for the other features I can customize FF to behave exactly as I like so that's not a factor and the memory leak is also fixed.

The speed and small size of Opera are still its best features and if they ever fix the Java issues I might go back to using it.

lefty
01-31-2008, 06:42 PM
I used to be a huge Opera fan, but I now use Firefox mainly because of how much problem Opera had with pages that used Java. Most of them would not work correctly in Opera. While the "IE compatible" pages are annoying and their authors should have their internet connections confiscated, you can't really avoid them and the work around in FF is better (IE Tab).

As for the other features I can customize FF to behave exactly as I like so that's not a factor and the memory leak is also fixed.

The speed and small size of Opera are still its best features and if they ever fix the Java issues I might go back to using it.

Interesting