PDA

View Full Version : Pop sitting out Parker just to lure Stoudamire?

Jayem
01-30-2008, 07:59 PM
Maybe Tony's injury really isn't that serious and Pop just wants to give him rest. Even Parker seems to think hes fine. If TP is out for the year we're done. :cry

td4mvp21
01-30-2008, 08:00 PM
Yeah, let's struggle even worse without our starting point guard just to get Damon Stoudemire!

Kori Ellis
Parker knows he isn't fine. He just wants to play.

Mr.Bottomtooth
Bone spurs.
If he plays it can lead to season ending surgery. Best keep him off until he's just about completely over it.
That's why they think we need Stoudamire. To fill in while he's gone.

Dex
01-30-2008, 08:05 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v120/raverdex/denial.jpg

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-30-2008, 08:07 PM
:lol

td4mvp21
01-30-2008, 08:08 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v120/raverdex/denial.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

lefty
01-30-2008, 08:26 PM
http://givetheworld.net/stupid-topic-button.jpg

Dex
01-30-2008, 08:28 PM
http://givetheworld.net/stupid-topic-button.jpg

You're Abe Froman? The Sausage King of Chicago?

Louie Vega
01-31-2008, 01:39 AM
Yeah, let's struggle even worse without our starting point guard just to get Damon Stoudemire!

Or a decent pick in the draft!?

mikekim
01-31-2008, 02:30 AM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this already on here but I was thinkin...

Could this be more of a strategic mental/morale move by Pop then a ploy to get Stoudemire? (although that is most likely in the back of his mind.) The Spurs are playing like shit, no real chemistry, and look basically lost as a team many times out on the floor. And if they go into this road trip with a full roster (minus Barry), and end up going 2-6 or something, while struggling immensely (which they are definitely doing, and have been doing for a while), that could potentially break this team mentally to a point where they won't be able to gather up the balls to be anywhere near fruitful (pun intended) by playoff time.

So by sitting Parker, it's almost a win-win, if you concede that this road trip will be a disaster. If it goes bad, hey, our starting pg was held out. If we get a few wins it's like, "hey, we're coming together without TP or Barry (and maybe with an old Damon Stoudemire). Let's gear up for what happens after those guys get back!"

I don't know...this sort of seems like CIA Pop to me. A CIA Pop who is desperately dealing with the bleak circumstances, of course. But still...hey, if I was on the Spurs and I had to convince myself to strap up mentally, that is the easiest road for me and one that I would most likely take in my head.

ChumpDumper
01-31-2008, 02:34 AM
No. Tony is really hurt and the Spurs really suck.

mikekim
01-31-2008, 02:38 AM
Probably, maybe I got it switched up and what I wrote is the silver lining. Yeah...that's probably the right way to look at it. But still...I think it can ultimately be a positive influence for our season. I'm not really too big of an optimist, but the glass is definitely half-full for me on this issue. (C'mon, it's the Spurs, I have to be a permanent optimist. That's the only way I know how to root for them.)

ChumpDumper
01-31-2008, 02:40 AM
Any move that gets Parker healthy is a positive move.

mikekim
01-31-2008, 02:48 AM
So i guess you're not conceding the possibility of a significant psychological benefit for the team out of this? I understand...no, really, I do.

ChumpDumper
01-31-2008, 02:53 AM
If they win a game sometime soon, that will be a significant psychological benefit for the team. The margin for error in the west is just too small to throw the entire rodeo trip for a psych experiment.

mikekim
01-31-2008, 02:56 AM
haha...I love your no-nonsense, straight forward, black and white takes you often inject into the threads. It's what makes your comments worth reading most of the time.

Not to say your comment right there didn't make completely logical sense, of course. I'm still going to look at the silver lining though :) (my version in addition to yours)

milkyway21
01-31-2008, 03:06 AM
Maybe Tony's injury really isn't that serious and Pop just wants to give him rest. Even Parker seems to think hes fine. If TP is out for the year we're done. :cry
some answers to your question.....

TP is really suffering from a bone spur in his left heel...acc to:
http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/10609368

.........and was told that he'd be sidelined indefinitely despite his desire to play. Despite its first three-game losing streak since the end of the 2006-07 regular season, San Antonio is refusing to sacrifice its postseason aspirations by allowing the reigning NBA Finals MVP to continue to put himself at risk.

In flirting with Stoudamire, a 13-year veteran, the Spurs appear serious about making sure Parker makes a full recovery before allowing him to return to the court. Parker has been trying to play through the ailment, which causes the ligaments attached to his heel to swell and become irritated by the pounding on the soft tissue below the heel. San Antonio is two games into its annual rodeo trip and won't be back to play a game at the AT&T Center until Feb. 19, two days after the All-Star Game. Parker isn't expected to be named one of the reserves for the Western Conference squad, so it's likely the French superstar will be out of action for three weeks.

That's where Stoudamire comes in. He hasn't participated since Dec. 30, essentially deactivated by the Grizzlies to avoid paying a clause in his contract tied to playing time, expediting his exit out of Memphis. All he wants to do is play.

Because he'd have to share minutes with Steve Nash and Leandro Barbosa in Phoenix, the thought is that Stoudamire is keen on joining the Spurs with the understanding that he'd supplant Jacque Vaughn as the team's starter in the interim and the backup to Parker down the road. (??)

supplant- >meaning he's replacing JV, that he'd start? enlighten me, pls.

ChumpDumper
01-31-2008, 03:07 AM
haha...I love your no-nonsense, straight forward, black and white takes you often inject into the threads. It's what makes your comments worth reading most of the time.

Not to say your comment right there didn't make completely logical sense, of course. I'm still going to look at the silver lining though :) (my version in addition to yours)I do think it will be a boost when Barry and Parker come back healthy, and that's worth pointing out on it's own. In the meantime Udoka and Stoudamire will get extended playing time so Pop will be in a better position to decide on the rotation for the stretch run.

mikekim
01-31-2008, 03:13 AM
some answers to your question.....

TP is really suffering from a bone spur in his left heel...acc to:
http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/10609368

.........and was told that he'd be sidelined indefinitely despite his desire to play. Despite its first three-game losing streak since the end of the 2006-07 regular season, San Antonio is refusing to sacrifice its postseason aspirations by allowing the reigning NBA Finals MVP to continue to put himself at risk.

In flirting with Stoudamire, a 13-year veteran, the Spurs appear serious about making sure Parker makes a full recovery before allowing him to return to the court. Parker has been trying to play through the ailment, which causes the ligaments attached to his heel to swell and become irritated by the pounding on the soft tissue below the heel. San Antonio is two games into its annual rodeo trip and won't be back to play a game at the AT&T Center until Feb. 19, two days after the All-Star Game. Parker isn't expected to be named one of the reserves for the Western Conference squad, so it's likely the French superstar will be out of action for three weeks.

That's where Stoudamire comes in. He hasn't participated since Dec. 30, essentially deactivated by the Grizzlies to avoid paying a clause in his contract tied to playing time, expediting his exit out of Memphis. All he wants to do is play.

Because he'd have to share minutes with Steve Nash and Leandro Barbosa in Phoenix, the thought is that Stoudamire is keen on joining the Spurs with the understanding that he'd supplant Jacque Vaughn as the team's starter in the interim and the backup to Parker down the road. (??)

supplant- >meaning he's replacing JV, that he'd start? enlighten me, pls.

All right, first of all, thanks for the summing up of the situation.

Second, I'm thoroughly aware of the seriousness of Parker's injury. The wheels in my head are spinning and grabbing for this "silver lining" because of the timing of the benching. Right smack dab at the outset of the Rodeo Road trip. I felt it was Pop nipping a disaster in the bud before it escalated. And I'm NOT just talking about Parker's injury. As I mentioned earlier, I was talking about the psyche of the team. Now...in light of CD's comments, I was probably being slightly overly optimistic with that approach, but I still think it is relevant, plausible, and may very well prove to be significant.

As for Damon supplanting JV? I think a little competition can't hurt our backup pg situation...we'll see if it happens. or if something better arrives with stoudemire...or if he even arrives at all. (edit: i wasn't aware it was a done deal)

another edit: My self-centered ass has finally realized you were probably addressing the OP.