PDA

View Full Version : Kidd in Dallas - Bad news for the spurs

genomefreak13
01-30-2008, 10:32 PM
Nets in three-way talks for Kidd

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AhTXpbQgJ6m8vsfig4sX7KG8vLYF?slug=aw-kiddtrade013008&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
January 30, 2008

The New Jersey Nets are in serious negotiations with the Dallas Mavericks and Portland Trail Blazers about a blockbuster three-way trade that would send Jason Kidd to the Mavericks, league sources said Wednesday afternoon.

In the proposed trade, Dallas and Portland would send the Nets a package that includes the Mavs' Devean George and Jerry Stackhouse and Blazers forwards Travis Outlaw and Channing Frye and guard Jarrett Jack. Mavericks point guard Devin Harris would be sent to Portland. Along with Kidd, the Nets would send reserve forward Malik Allen and center Jamaal Magloire to Dallas.

some_user86
01-30-2008, 10:37 PM
Yeah, but that completely fucks up Dallas' chemistry (just when they are starting to gel). You don't move that many pieces that are important to your team's current play all at once. At the start of the year, maybe. But midway through the season? Bad idea.

tmtcsc
01-30-2008, 10:41 PM
Bad News ? Nah, I'm allright with it. Dallas gets a great PG but one that Tony has dealt with in the past. Jason Kidd has had trouble guarding Tony while Devin Harris has had some great games against him.

They also lose Stackhouse. He gave them a good punch off the bench. Still, its a helluva deal for the Mavs. I'm just not sure it helps them beat the Spurs.

Kidd, Nowitzki, Howard and Terry will make up the core.

itzsoweezee
01-30-2008, 10:42 PM
portland is completely fucking stupid if they pull the trigger on that shit.

lefty
01-30-2008, 10:43 PM
That would be a bad move for Portland.

dallaskd
dont do that shit dallas.

Capt Bringdown
A dream situation for Kidd. Surrounded by shooters, fast-paced offense. A better supporting cast than he took to the finals, don'tyathink?

T Park
Devin harris and Jerry Stackhouse gone?

Two huge thorns in the Spurs's side?

Adios.

Kidd makes them a better rebounding team sure, but they lose ALOT of speed. Scoring also.

T Park
01-30-2008, 10:44 PM
A dream situation for Kidd.

Surrounded by chokers?

Hes had that in 02 and 03. Didn't work.

lefty
01-30-2008, 10:45 PM
Anyway it's just a rumor

Nothing done yet

Joe Schmoogins
01-30-2008, 10:46 PM
I hope they take that deal... Parker will own Kidd... :hungry:

Who would Portland receive?

kskonn
01-30-2008, 10:46 PM
It would also get rid of one of their players that is performing well with a long future ahead of him for a guy that is on the final stretch of his career.

kskonn
01-30-2008, 10:47 PM
besides I think portland will pull the plug on this thing before it happens.

genomefreak13
01-30-2008, 10:48 PM
Yeah, but that completely fucks up Dallas' chemistry (just when they are starting to gel). You don't move that many pieces that are important to your team's current play all at once. At the start of the year, maybe. But midway through the season? Bad idea.

Having a jason kidd in a team is bad idea? Even the spurs made a run on him. I'm not a big fan of kidd, but if Kidd could change the fortune of low-life franchises like the nets, I think there's more reason that he could improve Dallas' chances of winning a championship.

Jason Terry is out with an injury, They suffer the same predicament as the spurs, so adding kidd on the lineup makes a lot of reason for them. They have tons of SF (Jones, hassel and stackhouse ), so a little room to move isn't really a bad thing.

dallaskd
01-30-2008, 10:49 PM
so dallas is giving up a young PG for a 34 year old with one year left on his contract? i hope they can resign him if this happens.

DieMrBond
01-30-2008, 10:49 PM
I call bullshit - does anyone seriously think Portland is going to mess with their team?

Joe Schmoogins
01-30-2008, 10:51 PM
nevermind...

remingtonbo2001
01-30-2008, 10:54 PM
I don't see Portland pulling the trigger. Portland is giving up a lot of role players, for essentially Devin Harris. They gotta be recieving more than Harris. Doesn't make sense from Portland's end.

genomefreak13
01-30-2008, 10:55 PM
I call bullshit - does anyone seriously think Portland is going to mess with their team?

We would never know what NBA teams are thinking. Scola got traded for money...what else can go wrong?

dallaskd
01-30-2008, 10:56 PM
different move coming?...

The Nets are involved in discussions on a three-way trade with the Dallas Mavericks and Portland Trail Blazers, as we first reported on the print side today.

The deal, which would send Jason Kidd to Dallas, includes at least 12 players, draft picks and some cash, and yes, it could happen.

League sources tell us that, the Nets would get point guard Jarrett Jack and forwards Travis Outlaw and Channing Frye, a No. 1 pick and cash from Portland and forward Devean George, center DeSagana Diop, swingman Jerry Stackhouse, a No. 1 cash from the Mavericks.

In the proposed trade, Malik Allen and Darrell Armstrong also would go from the Nets to Dallas, the sources said.

http://njmg.typepad.com/zzone/2008/01/the-three-way.html

dallaskd
01-30-2008, 10:56 PM
The whole story...

The Nets are involved in discussions on a three-way trade with the Dallas Mavericks and Portland Trail Blazers, as we first reported on the print side today.

The deal, which would send Jason Kidd to Dallas, includes at least 12 players, draft picks and some cash, and yes, it could happen.

League sources tell us that, the Nets would get point guard Jarrett Jack and forwards Travis Outlaw and Channing Frye, a No. 1 pick and cash from Portland and forward Devean George, center DeSagana Diop, swingman Jerry Stackhouse, a No. 1 cash from the Mavericks.

In the proposed trade, Malik Allen and Darrell Armstrong also would go from the Nets to Dallas, the sources said.

The Nets likely would buy out Stackhouse with some of the money they’re getting back, but they still would need to make another move before doing this deal. They essentially are trading three-for-six and with 13 players on the roster before the deal, they would have one too many after.

So the Nets would have to move someone else for a pick or trade exception or waive someone in order to have roster room to make this deal work. Unless, some names will be added or subtracted, but now you see why these deals are so hard to pull off.

The way I’m hearing it is Devin Harris is involved, but he would be going to Portland. The Blazers also would be getting players from the Mavericks. There is more involved in this proposal.

Why wouldn't the Nets getting Harris? My first thought exactly.

Maybe the Blazers insisted they get him or they want no part of the deal or it’s that Harris, who signed a five-year, $43 million extension last summer, is too rich for the Nets’ blood. Another factor could be the poison pill provision regarding Harris.

He makes $3.9 mill this season, but his trade value is $7.8 million because he signed that extension that starts next year so you have to take the average of the life of the contract.

That said, the Nets are trying to get younger, but also have some cap flexibility and draft picks to make other moves now, this summer and beyond.

This isn’t imminent, from what we understand, but it's in discussion. The Nets have to clear roster room and also surely are getting inundated with phone calls with other offers that they have to sift through in case something comes up that is better.

The Nets continue to say they’re in no rush to do something. They have three weeks and one day until the trade deadline and Kidd just publicly requested a trade two days ago, even though the Nets have been listening to offers for him and everyone else for some time.

peskypesky
01-30-2008, 10:57 PM
Portland would never do this deal.

T Park
01-30-2008, 10:58 PM
Outlaw Frye and Jack for Devin Harris?

That would be a monumentally stupid trade for the Blazers.

dallaskd
01-30-2008, 10:58 PM
from the original Yahoo! article...

The Nets would also receive at least one future No. 1 pick and cash. It's expected that New Jersey would work a buyout with Stackhouse and allow him to be a free agent. Other players could be included to balance the exchange of contracts.

So the mavs could actually bring Stack back??

T Park
01-30-2008, 11:01 PM
Why the fuck would they buy him out!??!

He'd be their best scorer off the bench.

That would be idiotic....

samikeyp
01-30-2008, 11:02 PM

Agreed.

timmy21_4rings
01-30-2008, 11:02 PM
dallas is giving up too much

T Park
01-30-2008, 11:06 PM
Dallas IMO wouldn't be.

harris stackhouse and Diop?

It would help the Spurs probobly.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-30-2008, 11:08 PM
Bad News ? Nah, I'm allright with it. Dallas gets a great PG but one that Tony has dealt with in the past. Jason Kidd has had trouble guarding Tony while Devin Harris has had some great games against him.

They also lose Stackhouse. He gave them a good punch off the bench. Still, its a helluva deal for the Mavs. I'm just not sure it helps them beat the Spurs.

:tu

Give them Kidd. I think it makes them a less difficult team for the Spurs to deal with.

The guys I feel sorry for are Travis Outlaw and Jarret Jack - just as they start to find their game with a young team they obviously love, they get shipped to Shitsville, NBA.

ludda
01-30-2008, 11:09 PM
The trade of Harris+Diop+Stack+crap to Nets was purposed to Cuban and his response was "step away from your crack dealer"
Portland wasn't involved at the time, but same difference.

I don't see this happening. Cuban is not as trigger happy as he was before and why the fuck would Portland do this? Nets get a steal in this one with all the young players from the Blazers coming in.

dallaskd
01-30-2008, 11:11 PM
Give them Kidd. I think it makes them a less difficult team for the Spurs to deal with.

who said they are gonna play in the playoffs cus that #6 or #7 seed aint looking to sexy right now for ya.

remingtonbo2001
01-30-2008, 11:16 PM
The more I look at it,this trade looks like jibberish.

Cuban can be a little nuerotic....

Budkin
01-30-2008, 11:26 PM
Hell fucking yes! No Harris or Stack to deal with?? They kill us! Parker owns Kidd!

ducks
01-30-2008, 11:27 PM
aj might want kidd
aj wants his playoff failures to stop before he gets fired

dallaskd
01-30-2008, 11:27 PM

dude the quote in your sig is freakin raw. :toast

spursparker9
01-30-2008, 11:31 PM
then will kidd start for the west all stars team? and what happen to the east starting line up?

dallaskd
01-30-2008, 11:32 PM
then will kidd start for the west all stars team? and what happen to the east starting line up?

its not a done deal. just speculation.

genomefreak13
01-30-2008, 11:38 PM
Hell fucking yes! No Harris or Stack to deal with?? They kill us! Parker owns Kidd!

you might have something here. Kidd is slower than harris. But how about jason terry?

genomefreak13
01-30-2008, 11:40 PM

This is a good question...So if tbe deal happens, who gets the starting spot in the All star east?

lurker
01-30-2008, 11:42 PM
I'm not usually a violent person, but I will become one if Cuban makes a deal.

loveforthegame
01-30-2008, 11:46 PM
Bad deal for Dallas. Harris, Stack, and Diop give the Spurs fits. Harris gets to the lane at will, Stack is a solid scorer off the bench, and Diop plays Duncan pretty well. But they could be desperate and believe Kidd can help them win a championship in the next couple years.

O.J. Mayonnaise
01-30-2008, 11:46 PM
I think Kidd is a little overrated. With the talent that the Nets have, there is no way that they should be 7 games under .500 in the East. Also, the Nets' half court offense has been one of the worst in the league for the last couple years. In the half court, you barely have to guard Kidd because he is such a bad shooter, and at this point in his career there is no chance he can stay in front of Parker on defense.

FromWayDowntown
01-30-2008, 11:48 PM
I'm pretty sure this won't happen for a number of reasons.

If it did, as a Spurs fan, I'd welcome the move for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is ridding the Mavericks of both Devin Harris and DeSagna Diop, who've given Parker and Duncan some difficulty at times. Kidd makes the Mavs different, but I'm not sure that he makes them better, particularly with the pieces going out.

Portland does have a need to make a move and doing this sort of a deal would allow them to deal out several parts that aren't vital to their team. I guess I can see the justification for the deal from both the Blazers' and the Nets' standpoint -- I just can't see it from the Mavs' standpoint unless they're just hellbent to make a deal.

As for the notion of dealing Stack, having him bought out, and then reacquiring him, I'm pretty sure the league closed that loophole a couple of years ago, but I'll admit that I can't find a source to back me up on that -- I seem to recall a rule that prohibits a team for some period of time from acquiring a player that it gave up via trade.

lefty
01-30-2008, 11:49 PM
RU-MOR

ok?

AFBlue
01-30-2008, 11:50 PM
I don't see how the salaries match up for each of the three teams...which is a necessity since all three are over the salary cap. I need someone to break this deal down for me in list form rather than paragraph form because it's confusing as hell.

I'll give you my thoughts based on what I know though....

Dallas getting back Kidd is a big-time acquisition. Yes they would give up Harris, but he is a speedy score-first PG, and they already have big dollars committed to that skill set in Jason Terry. Losing Stack may be the real loss in this deal for the Mavs if they do it, but again I don't think scorers are something the Mavs are lacking. Mavs need leadership, which Dirk obviously doesn't provide, and they need a set-up guy....two roles that Kidd can take on and perform well.

New Jersey would get back a shitload of average players, most of which will never be difference-makers in this league. I'm guessing this wouldn't be the last move that the Nets would make....pretty sure that the only ones left in the aftermath would be RJ and Sean Williams. With this deal, the rebuilding project would officially begin in Jersey.

And I've got a LONG explanation on Portland that runs contrary to what most of you think....so it gets a seperate post.

AFBlue
01-30-2008, 11:51 PM
On Portland, I honestly don't think they'd do as bad on this deal as some see it. Yes, they would get rid of a bunch of their role players in the process, but you have to look at what they'd get back now and what they'd be getting in the future. Let me 'splain....

While I like Jarrett Jack, he has been fairly solid but mostly unspectacular for this team. That lands most young PGs somewhere between $5-7M a year in this league nowadays. And if I asked, would you rather have one or two guys making $5-7M a piece (like they have in Seattle) or one kid with great potential making enough to be your no-kidding starting PG, I think most would agree that the latter is the preferred choice.

Then you have to look at the other pieces they would give up. Frye's role on this team was decided when Aldridge stepped out and had a monster year....he needs a change of scenery. And Outlaw, while he improved his jumpshot out to 18ft, is still a superskinny non-rebounding combo forward with his main skillset still being his athleticism.

Now you have to look at what's coming to the Blazers in the future. They've gpt Oden coming back next year to an already-crowded frontcourt...keep in mind they still have McRoberts on the bench and Joel Freeland overseas. Then in the backcourt and on the wings they have Sergio Rodriguez, an emerging Martell Webster, and Rudy Fernandez who will most likely be here next year.

Bottom line: They have to make some serious roster decisions at one point or another and if they can get back a potential star PG in the process versus the PG-by-committee approach, I think they do well.

porscha
01-30-2008, 11:52 PM
not a good news

genomefreak13
01-30-2008, 11:56 PM
I think Kidd is a little overrated. With the talent that the Nets have, there is no way that they should be 7 games under .500 in the East. Also, the Nets' half court offense has been one of the worst in the league for the last couple years. In the half court, you barely have to guard Kidd because he is such a bad shooter, and at this point in his career there is no chance he can stay in front of Parker on defense.

I think the problem in Jersey goes beyond Kidd. His number has been pretty consistent as of late. Even if he keeps getting triple doubles the nets just kept losing. There has been rumors that Kidd attributes the loses to Thorn's mismanagement as well as Carter ball hugging antics. Kidd just couldn't play with Carter, since he's always out to do his own stuff on the floor.

Unless they bring back K-Mart. This deal is going to happen. Thorn may have realized that trading Kidd this early would prevent his trade value from going further down. The faster this deal is done the better for the nets (Thorn should pray however that the other teams jumps on his wagon as fast as he did).

ludda
01-31-2008, 12:03 AM
What I don't get is if the Mavs really are going to deal Harris for Kidd why this has to involve Portland?? Firstly, I don't believe the Mavs are willing to give Harris for Kidd and lose depth. And secondly, if they were why not a simple Harris+whatever for Kidd? I really don't see Portland's need to be involved and they are very high on Outlaw.

Roxsfan
01-31-2008, 12:06 AM
What I don't get is if the Mavs really are going to deal Harris for Kidd why this has to involve Portland?? Firstly, I don't believe the Mavs are willing to give Harris for Kidd and lose depth. And secondly, if they were why not a simple Harris+whatever for Kidd? I really don't see Portland's need to be involved and they are very high on Outlaw.

exactly, why the hell would they give up rebounding, blocking and an occasional 3 pt shot from outlaw for Harris.......they don't need a little guard.

TDMVPDPOY
01-31-2008, 12:06 AM
cuban is an idiot if he pulls this trade

he couldve resign nash at half the price what it cost to bring in kidd

now it looks like his gettin served here if he goes through with teh trade

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-31-2008, 12:08 AM
I don't think Portland does this but...

Dallas getting rid of:

* Harris, who is the only Mav that can keep up with Tony
* Diop, who is the only Dallas big who has shown any propensity for guarding Duncan in even small stretches
* Stackhouse, who has traditionally been a lethal off the bench presence against us

Where do I sign up? All for a 45 year old Jason Kidd and no low post help? Please let the Mavs be this stupid...

O.J. Mayonnaise
01-31-2008, 12:19 AM
I think the problem in Jersey goes beyond Kidd. His number has been pretty consistent as of late. Even if he keeps getting triple doubles the nets just kept losing. There has been rumors that Kidd attributes the loses to Thorn's mismanagement as well as Carter ball hugging antics. Kidd just couldn't play with Carter, since he's always out to do his own stuff on the floor.

No doubt the problem goes beyond Kidd. Carter takes too many bad shots and their frontcourt is really young. If Kidd is a superstar, though, he has to share some of the blame for how bad the Nets have been this year, and I really don't see how he helps Dallas that much.

dallaskd
01-31-2008, 12:22 AM
I don't think Portland does this but...

Dallas getting rid of:

* Harris, who is the only Mav that can keep up with Tony
* Diop, who is the only Dallas big who has shown any propensity for guarding Duncan in even small stretches
* Stackhouse, who has traditionally been a lethal off the bench presence against us

Where do I sign up? All for a 45 year old Jason Kidd and no low post help? Please let the Mavs be this stupid...

the nets will buy out stackhouse and i wouldnt be suprised if he signs right back with dallas like alan henderson did when the mavs got keith van horn.

crc21209
01-31-2008, 12:28 AM
Hmmmmm I don't know whether to like this deal or not but the more and more i look at it and think about it I HOPE the Mavs do this deal. 3 big parts to their team possibly gone! Harris who can get to the rim when he wants like Tony and matches up with him pretty well, Stackhouse a solid scorer off the bench, and Diop who can probably guard Duncan the best from that team. All of this for a washed up J-Kidd, I hope they do this! PPPPPPPPPLLLLLEASE! lol.

Hemotivo
01-31-2008, 12:32 AM
Kidd is a great player, with Josh Howard and Dirk he's gonna great

:bang

bigfundamental21
01-31-2008, 12:33 AM
Thing is these rumors about Kidd to Mavs have been flying for over a month. Just check here:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84482

While I agree that this move would actually benefit the Spurs, I still wonder why the Mavs would even consider giving up so much to get Kidd.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-31-2008, 12:36 AM
the nets will buy out stackhouse and i wouldnt be suprised if he signs right back with dallas like alan henderson did when the mavs got keith van horn.

They would have to wait I think 30 days to be able to re-sign him, and that's after he clears waivers (which I suspect another team would pick him up - his contract expires after this year - which is why I don't think NJ would waive him).

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-31-2008, 12:37 AM
Kidd is a great player, with Josh Howard and Dirk he's gonna great

:bang

Yeah, and he'd also be a turn style on defense against Parker (has been for quite some time).

Axl Van Dam
01-31-2008, 12:45 AM
portland is completely fucking stupid if they pull the trigger on that shit.

Can't agree with you more. The Blazers will totally screw up their core if that deal pushed thru.

tlongII
01-31-2008, 12:48 AM
Can't agree with you more. The Blazers will totally screw up their core if that deal pushed thru.

Duh. It ain't happening in the way they're reporting.

TDMVPDPOY
01-31-2008, 12:53 AM
actually portland should do it

then if gerald green gets buy out, might as well go sign him, then get a veteran PG

ludda
01-31-2008, 01:25 AM
Stein on SportsCenter said the 3 way talk was on for awhile but are pretty much dead now. That's all I caught.

IMO, it comes down to portland saying NO and mavs unwilling to part with Harris.

genomefreak13
01-31-2008, 02:44 AM
No doubt the problem goes beyond Kidd. Carter takes too many bad shots and their frontcourt is really young. If Kidd is a superstar, though, he has to share some of the blame for how bad the Nets have been this year, and I really don't see how he helps Dallas that much.

If this deal push through. Dallas is probably looking for a change in perspective (or probably they miss the old steve nash days). They have tried everything , including the kitchen sink, but couldn't get a title.

I admit kidd is part to blame. He let himself get frustrated by the persons around him - buy hey, his just human...

SenorSpur
01-31-2008, 03:04 AM
If the Mavs DO get this deal done, it will improve their chances of beating everyone else - EXCEPT THE SPURS

Capt Bringdown
01-31-2008, 03:11 AM
I don't think it necessarily spells disaster for the Spurs (we've got plenty of other things to worry about this season). But you have to be a little challenged in the imagination department if you think Kidd joining the Mavs has no upside potential.

genomefreak13
01-31-2008, 03:36 AM
If the Mavs DO get this deal done, it will improve their chances of beating everyone else - EXCEPT THE SPURS

It's a good thing that you point this out. Looking at it in a bigger picture, It might mean that the deal (if it pushes through) would generally benefit the mavs. The only downside -they're going to have difficulty matching up with the spurs. Sounds like a fair trade to me.

It's not always sunny in Texas. Sometimes it rains...A slimmer chances of beating the spurs is better than having no chance at all. I wish we can have kidd with the spurs instead (I know it wishful thinking).

ludda
01-31-2008, 03:39 AM
I don't see how giving up their backup C who has played well for them and thus relying on Erica Dampier to give them a consistent effort + giving up on their improving PG makes them a better matchup with the rest of the league. Also giving up their 7th man in Stack. To me thats too much for "miracle worker" Kidd.

K-State Spur
01-31-2008, 03:39 AM
outside of dirk, stack and harris were the two mavs most responsible for beating the Spurs in 2006.

replacing them with a guy who couldn't stay in front of Parker when he was younger and has historically struggled against the Spurs' as they force him into a half court game.

this reeks of one of those knee jerk cuban moves that Cuban hasn't made in a few years. right now, our guys can't beat anybody, but assuming that they re-find their form before the playoffs, I think this makes the Mavs LESS of a threat (although still dangerous).

baseline bum
01-31-2008, 03:53 AM
Too bad; this had the potential to wreck Dallas' title aspirations in spectacular fashion for a third straight year.

SenorSpur
01-31-2008, 04:04 AM
Please let it go through.

One strange note about Kidd, for all his greatness he has exactly "0" NBA titles on his resume.

One factual note about Kidd, he is one of the most unselfish players in the NBA. Off the court, he seems like a selfish "drama queen". How else can it be that he's been shipped out by the Mavs, Suns, and Nets - only to possibly wind back up with the Mavs again.

genomefreak13
01-31-2008, 04:08 AM
Please let it go through.

One strange note about Kidd, for all his greatness he has exactly "0" NBA titles on his resume.

One factual note about Kidd, he is one of the most unselfish players in the NBA. Off the court, he seems like a selfish "drama queen". How else can it be that he's been shipped out by the Mavs, Suns, and Nets - only to possibly wind back up with the Mavs again.

Come to think of it...Maybe the real reason why he got shipped out of all those teams is because he's so unselfish that he gives all his championship chances away :lol

Capt Bringdown
01-31-2008, 06:31 AM

Yup, and everywhere he's been it seems to end badly.

WalterBenitez
01-31-2008, 06:38 AM
That would be a bad move for Portland.

lol @ your signature

WalterBenitez
01-31-2008, 06:40 AM
Kidd in Mavs' uniform is almost sure according to rumors, It means unless Mavs plays against Warriors, we are done.

spurscenter
01-31-2008, 06:41 AM
portland will be a monster

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-31-2008, 07:20 AM
On Portland, I honestly don't think they'd do as bad on this deal as some see it. Yes, they would get rid of a bunch of their role players in the process, but you have to look at what they'd get back now and what they'd be getting in the future. Let me 'splain....

While I like Jarrett Jack, he has been fairly solid but mostly unspectacular for this team. That lands most young PGs somewhere between $5-7M a year in this league nowadays. And if I asked, would you rather have one or two guys making $5-7M a piece (like they have in Seattle) or one kid with great potential making enough to be your no-kidding starting PG, I think most would agree that the latter is the preferred choice.

Then you have to look at the other pieces they would give up. Frye's role on this team was decided when Aldridge stepped out and had a monster year....he needs a change of scenery. And Outlaw, while he improved his jumpshot out to 18ft, is still a superskinny non-rebounding combo forward with his main skillset still being his athleticism.

Now you have to look at what's coming to the Blazers in the future. They've gpt Oden coming back next year to an already-crowded frontcourt...keep in mind they still have McRoberts on the bench and Joel Freeland overseas. Then in the backcourt and on the wings they have Sergio Rodriguez, an emerging Martell Webster, and Rudy Fernandez who will most likely be here next year.

Bottom line: They have to make some serious roster decisions at one point or another and if they can get back a potential star PG in the process versus the PG-by-committee approach, I think they do well.

Great post.

Blazers do okay for the reasons you stipulated, Mavs get a very old Kidd who gets one last shot at a ring, and the Nets get a bunch of possibles and cross their fingers that one emerges ASAP.

Personally, I hope it happens. This might improve Dallas in some ways but kills them in others, and overall I'm less scared of them if they make this trade... in fact, against a clicking Spurs, they wouldn't scare me at all. Question is, will the Spurs click again this season... (come on SPAM!) :clap

The Nba Is Rigged
01-31-2008, 07:59 AM
The Mavs would be CRAZY to do this trade, I'm sorry but I think J-Kidd SUCkS, he shoots 36% from the field and 33% from 3, no show on defense and is highly turnover-prone. The people who love to hype him up are those a$$holes on espn. He needs the mavs more than the mavs need him, and he also is a QUITTER AND A LOSER, how come he always ends up leaving his teams for some bad reason? If he was really a leader like espn hypes him up to be why can't he motivate vince carter and the rest of the nets? I would take Sam Cassell any day and I don't care what anybody thinks.

MagnusKrauss
01-31-2008, 08:19 AM
bad trade for portland.

if stack becomes a free agent, should we sign him?

Ocotillo
01-31-2008, 08:38 AM
Nets would have 5 coming in and three going out. Wouldn't they have to cut someone lose in some way?

tmtcsc
01-31-2008, 10:18 AM
dude the quote in your sig is freakin raw. :toast

Thanks. I think someone else on here has it too. Just a great quote and very true. Its all about the hardware.

lefty
01-31-2008, 11:58 AM
lol @ your signature

Thanks

Dex
01-31-2008, 12:03 PM
Kidd in Dallas doesn't bother me if they're going to send half their scoring away for him. Kidd may still be one of the best point guards in the league, but age is bound to catch up with him in the next couple years.

Apparently Dallas didn't learn anything from watching Miami sell out for a championship.

41times
01-31-2008, 12:07 PM
Any trade that involves sending Devin Harris anywhere is stupid. He is just starting to come into his own. He has a nice 10 year career in front of him and is getting good enough to be the starting point gaurd on a Championship team.

I like Jason Kidd's game. He is the absolute King of the Triple Double (3rd all time) but he only has a few years left in him if that.

And to echo what another poster stated, this deal would screw up the Mavs Chemistry.

Stack, George, Barrea and Ager can be spared, but not the rest.

MoSpur
01-31-2008, 12:26 PM
I think he improves Dallas, but I still don't think that will help them win it all.

Supergirl
01-31-2008, 12:30 PM

Exactly what I was thinking. Kidd may be a better player overall that Dallas is getting, but in terms of matching up to the Spurs, they now match up a lot worse from their perspective. Devin Harris is a much tougher player for the Spurs to guard than Kidd. And Stackhouse, as others have pointed out, has been pretty impressive against the SPurs.

I think this trade would make the Mavs a much slower, more defensively minded team, which usually means good things for the Spurs. It's the Mavs explosiveness and athleticism that has made them a tough match up.

thispego
01-31-2008, 12:31 PM
Guess the Mavs organization agrees with thispego's assertion that Devin Harris is, in fact, a scrub. :p: