PDA

View Full Version : Boggs and Sandberg in the Hall

Spurminator
01-04-2005, 05:20 PM
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1958895)

Das Texan
01-04-2005, 06:11 PM
sutter keeps getting screwed with the goose

pooh
01-05-2005, 02:04 AM
Baseball Hall of Fame is so exclusive it's not funny. But in recent years, they have gotten it right. I'm glad to see that Boggs and Sandberg got in. I think Sutter and Gossage will eventually get in, probably via the veterans committee.

It will be curious to see however what team Boggs will go in as? A Red Sox, or a Yankee? (where he won his only World Series ring back in '96)

jalbre6
01-05-2005, 02:09 AM
pooh,

Do you remember the controversy a few years back when Wade Boggs said he'd go in wearing a Devil Rays hat? I think he changed his mind and said Yankees, but honestly I don't remember.

Das Texan
01-05-2005, 02:47 AM
doesnt the hall make those decisions now after what winfield did?

Spurminator
01-05-2005, 11:56 AM
I just don't see why Sutter is getting so much support. The Hall of Fame is about Greatness and... well, Fame. Did anyone go to a game to see Bruce Sutter play? I don't think his stats are overwhelming enough to outweigh the fact that probably half of all casual baseball fans had no idea who he was.

Jim Rice, however, was the Ralph Kiner of his era, and he may never get in.

Das Texan
01-05-2005, 06:30 PM
sutter and gossage were both the premier relievers of their day.

if any relievers deserve it, it should be them.

JFK
01-05-2005, 06:58 PM
Jim Rice should be in there!

Brodels
01-05-2005, 09:50 PM
I just don't see why Sutter is getting so much support. The Hall of Fame is about Greatness and... well, Fame. Did anyone go to a game to see Bruce Sutter play? I don't think his stats are overwhelming enough to outweigh the fact that probably half of all casual baseball fans had no idea who he was.

Jim Rice, however, was the Ralph Kiner of his era, and he may never get in.

I'm not accusing you of doing so, but too many people just look at number of saves and ERA to determine the greatness of relievers. Back in the day, relievers got less saves and pitched more innings. They pitched in many different kinds of situations, and it wasn't uncommon for them to pitch two or three innings at the end of games. They were flexible, and their flexibility hurt their ERA and saves numbers.

With Sutter, I don't think it's fair to judge his contribution unless you saw him play. And I'll admit that I didn't.

whottt
01-05-2005, 10:46 PM
I could care less if Sutter gets in or not, and I saw him play.

Sandberg OTOH should have been a first ballot HOF'er and it's a joke that he wasn't.

Bert Blyleven should have gone in long ago..

And Spurm, I've been arguing the case for Jim Rice for years...it's a lost cause, the offensive explosion pretty much killed his chances of getting in by any means other than the vet commitee.

whottt
01-05-2005, 10:50 PM
Oh and to whoever asked...technically the players don't get final say in what cap they wear into the Hall. They used to be able to have a say...and I believe Boggs stating that he was going in as a Devil Ray was kind of the impetus for changing the rule...

They do have some input, and they can state their preference..but there is no gurantee they will get their preference...and they do have a form of leverage...

I believe they can choose to go into the Hall without a cap, I know Yogi Berra went into the Hall without representing a team...

Or they can do what Roger Clemens did, if they are a surefire HOF'er...

Clemens flatly refuses to go into the Hall wearing a Red Sox cap...and he's told the Hall of Fame he won't accept their induction unless they induct him as a Yankee...technically he has no say other than cap or no cap...but I bet he gets his way on this...because the Hall is weaker without him.

3rdCoast
01-07-2005, 03:18 AM
but I bet he gets his way on this...because the Hall is weaker without him.

urhhhhhh, FUCKING RIGHT DOGGIE!!!!!!!!

exstatic
01-13-2005, 04:23 PM
Ever heard of the split finger fastball? Bruce Sutter brought it into vogue. Goose also warrants HOF consideration. His fastball was just unbelievable. I also agree that specialization has made saves easier to get, and that older relief pitchers pitched more innings per outing. Back in the day, there were starters, long relief, and save guys. There was no setup pitcher that came in in the 7th, and exited in the eight. If your starter got through 6-7 innings, you brought in the man.