PDA

View Full Version : The Tipping Point

Ghost Writer
01-31-2008, 10:54 AM
Yeah, last year it was Pop deciding to stand pat that sort've galvanized the Spurs.

Will this year's major event be Pop shutting down Parker and bringing in Stoudamire?

Question.

P.S.

Don't waste your time thinking that the Spurs will swing a mid-season trade. Elson has little value and Barry is hurt. Damon Stoudamire is the big splash.

thispego
01-31-2008, 11:05 AM
I honestly think it'll be enough. Alls we need is a little offensive punch in the arm. The D is about where it needs to be. We're still keeping teams around 80-90 points, problem is we're keeping ourselves around 80-90 points also. Hopefully DS can pick up the offensive schemes quickly.

VaSpursFan
01-31-2008, 11:07 AM
i think the nucleus we have can get it done once everyone is healthy. i'd still like to see a slasher in the 2 guard spot...my wish is for c. maggette, but unless the clippers decide to have a fire sale, it ain't gonna happen.

1Parker1
01-31-2008, 11:13 AM
The biggest tipping point between last year's struggles and this year's struggles at this point and time was that everyone was healthy last year...so you knew it was just a matter of them putting it all together.

This year, health has not been our side. It's not a guarantee that rest will cure Parker's ailments. And if he isn't 100-95% (alongside Duncan and Ginobili of course), Spurs aren't going anywhere. When healthy, the Spurs big 3 are good enough to beat anyone in the playoffs despite whatever weaknesses/holes the rest of the team may have.

1Parker1
01-31-2008, 11:14 AM
And Stoudamire is shooting below 40% from 3 point land and 2 point land...how exactly he's going to provide a scoring punch I don't know....

cheguevara
01-31-2008, 11:16 AM
Spurs go as far as the big 3 can take us. We won last year because of the big 3. nobody else. so a trade will not make any difference.

urunobili
01-31-2008, 11:33 AM
And Stoudamire is shooting below 40% from 3 point land and 2 point land...how exactly he's going to provide a scoring punch I don't know....
i think the possibility of getting your first ring will be a motivation booster for him... knowing he'll start for more than a month... i think the guy will gut it out... i don;t expect him to the the savior of the season... but he know he could be crucial in a championship run....

1Parker1
01-31-2008, 11:56 AM
By the way was this a CIA move by Pop?

Obviously Stoudamire wanted to go to a team where he'd get playing time. With Parker as a starter and Vaughn as his backup, it would have appeared that the Spurs PG situation was set.

Pop then conveniently decides to sit out Parker indefinitely, which now appeals to Stoudamire as he has playing time right at the time where he's about to make his decision. Coincidence? I think not...:lol

thispego
01-31-2008, 12:03 PM
different team, different looks

beirmeistr
01-31-2008, 12:07 PM
i think the possibility of getting your first ring will be a motivation booster for him... knowing he'll start for more than a month... i think the guy will gut it out... i don;t expect him to the the savior of the season... but he know he could be crucial in a championship run....

I missed the news of parker being out a month. Is this speculation on your part or is that a fact-----just curious.

timaios
01-31-2008, 12:15 PM

38% from 3 is good !

timaios
01-31-2008, 12:16 PM
Spurs go as far as the big 3 can take us. We won last year because of the big 3. nobody else. so a trade will not make any difference.
and Bruce !!!!!!!!!!!!

Holt's Cat
01-31-2008, 12:26 PM
I've thought for some time that the Spurs would be much stronger if they had more of a scoring punch from their backup 1. Currently Vaughn allows opposing defenses to rest somewhat. I'd also like to see them land a better rebounding big to replace Elson.

Whisky Dog
01-31-2008, 12:31 PM
At this point Stoudemire was brought in to attempt to tread water and win some games to stay in the playoff picture or especially the top half of it until Parker is healthy enough to be more than a whipping boy for the opposing team. I hope it works, but with the injuries and inconsistencies (Bowen/Oberto especially) this is a bit of a desperate move by the Spurs. It's just not looking like the year the Spurs repeat due to injuries, but at this point we are in a 40 or so game race to get everyone healthy and productive and the team in the playoffs come April.

Dex
01-31-2008, 01:33 PM
Spurs brought in Nazr Mohammad late when we were lacking bigman depth behind Duncan and Horry, and that move helped to capture the 2005 'ship. No one is going to say that Nazr is a superstar. It took him three more years to land on a team that will let him off the bench.

Spurs called in nobody last year, counted on the guys on board, and that brought the team together and inspired number 4.

I think the moral is, you can't depend on history to predict the future.

Holt's Cat
01-31-2008, 01:43 PM
Stoudamire will need a green light from Pop.

Rummpd
01-31-2008, 01:54 PM
Stoudemire will have open shots he never had before because of Duncan.