PDA

View Full Version : Flexibility in 2008-09?

Ghost Writer
01-31-2008, 11:04 AM
Is this true?:

The Spurs will also have some flexibility with their 2008-09 roster, as they only currently have 8 of their 14 players with guaranteed contracts for that season.

Question.

ss1986v2
01-31-2008, 11:35 AM
Is this true?:

The Spurs will also have some flexibility with their 2008-09 roster, as they only currently have 8 of their 14 players with guaranteed contracts for that season.

Question.
do you mean cap flexibility, or simply roster flexibility? as far as the cap goes, spurs figure to only have the exceptions to work with (MLE, LLE, vet min, ect). but yes, with only 8 roster spots filler (9 if vaughns option is picked up, which at the vet min, you figure it would), the spurs will have 4-6 spots to fill. hopefully splitter will be here, so you can probably cut that number by one.

id figure the spurs would be looking for a new wing for some to all of the MLE (james jones, carlos delfino, kelenna azubuike all being on my personal wish list, with players along the line of jr smith being cheaper alternatives), a veteran big to supply some extra depth up front, and possibly a back-up pg (depending on what level of wing they acquire, and how much of the MLE is left). but i wouldnt be surprised if one of either barry or finley is brought back as well.

TDMVPDPOY
01-31-2008, 11:39 AM
i hope that sanikidz dude comes over and throw him onto the roster or dleague, this spurs team is team 03 all over again with the expired or players retiring.....CHANGE is on the way fellas, thats what i really hoping for...

urunobili
01-31-2008, 11:41 AM
but i wouldnt be surprised if one of either barry or finley is brought back as well.
i think Finley will stay and be part of a transition to have an assistant coach role with the Spurs or something in the FO... Pop and the whole team love his leadership...

Ghost Writer
01-31-2008, 12:45 PM
I wish we used this year to transition some new blood in with the old roster.

There could be 4 new faces all at once next year.

And we're seeing what standing pat with old guys results in now.

ChumpDumper
01-31-2008, 02:13 PM
If Parker is injured next season we'll suck then too.

Ghost Writer
01-31-2008, 02:15 PM
If you think Parker is the only problem with this team, you need to look closer.

We were lucky (no Dallas, Suns suspensions) to sneak by last year with all these old @sses.

ChumpDumper
01-31-2008, 02:18 PM
Yeah. $6 million = 4 superstar signings this summer.

Why didn't we suck before the players got injured?

Question.

Ghost Writer
01-31-2008, 02:22 PM
Yeah. $6 million = 4 superstar signings this summer.

Why didn't we suck before the players got injured?

Question.

Um, we did.

Ghost Writer
01-31-2008, 02:24 PM
What players?

Barry and Parker?

The Spurs have not looked championship-caliber all year.

ChumpDumper
01-31-2008, 02:26 PM
Um, we did.:lmao

Nothing like a good ol fashioned lie.

27 wins + 8 losses = suck

What players? Have you been watching all the games this season or did the wife not let you get LeaguePass?

Anyway, let me know the three All-Stars the Spurs will get for the MLE this summer.

Thanks.

ChumpDumper
01-31-2008, 02:29 PM
If we sucked when all the players were healthy and have done nothing to improve the team, then you need to start a "tank the season" thread and tune out.

Ghost Writer
01-31-2008, 03:16 PM
What are you talking about?

The Spurs have not beaten the good teams all year.

You think the wheels fell off in the past week with Barry and Parker going down?

Get a grip.

Kori Ellis
01-31-2008, 03:28 PM
What are you talking about?

The Spurs have not beaten the good teams all year.

You think the wheels fell off in the past week with Barry and Parker going down?

Get a grip.

Parker has been hurt since December, thus the reason his stats spiraled down in January (along with the Spurs record).

Ghost Writer
01-31-2008, 03:32 PM
And you put the blame for the Spurs lackluster season on Parker?

C'mon.

The team has been playing old and uninspired ball all year... the injuries exacerbate the situation.

And who the fvck said we'd be signing stars next year?

How about we start with a couple guys under 32?

Spurs Dynasty 21
01-31-2008, 03:36 PM
do you mean cap flexibility, or simply roster flexibility? as far as the cap goes, spurs figure to only have the exceptions to work with (MLE, LLE, vet min, ect). but yes, with only 8 roster spots filler (9 if vaughns option is picked up, which at the vet min, you figure it would), the spurs will have 4-6 spots to fill. hopefully splitter will be here, so you can probably cut that number by one.

id figure the spurs would be looking for a new wing for some to all of the MLE (james jones, carlos delfino, kelenna azubuike all being on my personal wish list, with players along the line of jr smith being cheaper alternatives), a veteran big to supply some extra depth up front, and possibly a back-up pg (depending on what level of wing they acquire, and how much of the MLE is left). but i wouldnt be surprised if one of either barry or finley is brought back as well.

I would LOVE Delfino to be a Spurs, but I just see the Raptors offering him a lot of money

hopefully Manu and Oberto can sway him to come

Kori Ellis
01-31-2008, 03:39 PM
And you put the blame for the Spurs lackluster season on Parker?

C'mon.

The team has been playing old and uninspired ball all year... the injuries exacerbate the situation.

And who the fvck said we'd be signing stars next year?

How about we start with a couple guys under 32?

I didn't blame it ALL on Parker's injury. Just clarifying, if you actually thought Parker just got hurt last week.

But the Spurs were playing incredible ball early this season .. lots of ball movement and very inspired basketball.

As for free agency, the Spurs need to sign one athletic power forward and one athletic wing. And get a backup point guard. They won't be able to do that with the money they have available. But hopefully they'll address at least one of the needs in free agency.

urunobili
01-31-2008, 03:43 PM
I didn't blame it ALL on Parker's injury. Just clarifying, if you actually thought Parker just got hurt last week.

But the Spurs were playing incredible ball early this season .. lots of ball movement and very inspired basketball.

As for free agency, the Spurs need to sign one athletic power forward and one athletic wing. And get a backup point guard. They won't be able to do that with the money they have available. But hopefully they'll address at least one of the needs in free agency.
I think we may be able to address two of the three needs... i know talented veterans resign money for a chance to get a ring with us... but there should be enough young promising players willing to play along TD and TP to raise their value... just solving 1 of the three positions sounds a little drastic... depending on the outcome of this run... i don't see Bonner, Elson and Oberto on this team either apart from the expiring contracts...

Ghost Writer
01-31-2008, 04:53 PM
Incredible ball?

Who did they beat that was good?

I agree with this:

ChumpDumper
01-31-2008, 04:57 PM
Our big man situation is pretty well set with Duncan, Oberto, Bonner, Mahinmi and Splitter. There's a possibility we can keep Stoudamire if he works out too, so to it looks to me like the FA/draft priority should be at the swing spots. OF course our draft spot might make us take the best player available.

nkdlunch
01-31-2008, 04:59 PM
since our roster averages 30+ years of age, I don't think we have much flexibility

Ghost Writer
01-31-2008, 05:04 PM
Chump, other than Duncan, no one in the Spurs frontcourt plans looks that good for next year.

ChumpDumper
01-31-2008, 05:07 PM
Chump, other than Duncan, no one in the Spurs frontcourt plans looks that good for next year.Those are the players. If you are going to whine about losing Scola then you have to be excited about getting Splitter. Or do you want it both ways again?

No reason to waste limited money on another big man when the larger need is elsewhere.

Ghost Writer
01-31-2008, 05:16 PM
Scola?

I hadn't even thought of that, but thanks.

And I am happy that you are catching up to the fact that a swingman is a pressing need.

ChumpDumper
01-31-2008, 05:20 PM
Scola?

I hadn't even thought of that, but thanks.

And I am happy that you are catching up to the fact that a swingman is a pressing need.I've always been wanting a younger one, cupcake -- and that's the spot where we'll probably lose the most minutes that won't be replaced by players already in the pipeline.

Ghost Writer
01-31-2008, 05:23 PM
"Always".

Sure.

Quite frankly, if you are not sold on D. Stoudamire, then you should hope for a quality backup PG as your first priority.

You can't have it both ways, right?

ChumpDumper
01-31-2008, 05:27 PM
"Always".

Sure.Sure.

Quite frankly, if you are not sold on D. Stoudamire, then you should hope for a quality backup PG as your first priority.We've got time to find that out, and even if he doesn't work out that still wouldn't change the priority order for me. I was hoping we could have developed Langford as a combo guard if the other point guards had remained healthy, but I can't have it both ways.

pad300
01-31-2008, 05:48 PM
Roster in 09/09
Guaranteed Contracts

PG - Parker
Wing - Manu, Bowen,
Big - Duncan, Oberto, Bonner, Mahinmi

Option
Vaughn,Udoka
Note, it is my understanding that both Udoka and Vaughn have team options in their contract, the Spurs get to choose if they stay. On the other hand, ESPN, http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=2008freeagents , says that they have PLAYER options, which could be trouble.

Rookies
Splitter, 1st round pick, 2nd round pick (us), 2nd round pick (Toronto)

Bird Rights
Barry, Horry, Finley, Elson (Partial)...

Expected Moves
Take option on Vaughn (vet min, 3ed PG) and Udoka (he's been quite worth it so far)
Bring over Splitter (His buyout will be at it's lowest cost option)

PG - Parker, Vaughn
Wing - Manu, Bowen, Udoka
Big - Duncan, Splitter, Mahinmi, Bonner, Oberto

Needs 1 PG, 3 Wings, 1 Big

1st round Draft Best player available from Wings and Bigs. D
2nd round Draft BPA (who cares about position, particularly concerning Euros).
Don't be afraid of drafting players to leave in Europe. We will already have 2 pretty close to rookies on the roster (Splitter, Mahinmi)...

Reccomended FA Moves
Players we have Bird Rights to:

Re Sign Barry for Vet min (able to play 3 positions, still quite productive on the floor, good locker room guy). (1 Wing)
Don't re-sign Finley (he needs minutes on a starter scale to keep his head in it; this is not viable with the need to refresh the team youth...)
Don't resign Elson (not good enough)
Don't resign Horry (just too old)

1 PG
Sign Cassel (UFA, Clippers) for Vet min ( I wouldn't bring in a rookie at PG, Pop refuses to play them unless he has no other options. Instead, Cassel offers coldblooded clutchness, leadership, and almost starter level talent).
Alternative make a run at Chris Duhon (UFA, CHI)
Alternative bring in a rookie (either a 2nd rounder or Darius Washington or whomever pops up from the D-league/Euro free agents)

2 More Wings
Look long and hard at Sanikidze (is he playing anywhere this year? He looked decent in summer league).
Players to make runs at (in no order), Jamario Moon (partial RFA, TOR), Ryan Gomes (RFA, Minn), James Jones (if he opts out, Portland, RFA), Gerald Green (Minn, UFA), Trevor Ariza (if he opts out, Lakers, UFA), Quinton Ross (Clippers, UFA), Matt Barnes (GSW, UFA), K. Azabuike (GSW, RFA, if he opts out), Hermann (DET, RFA)
Possible Draft Pick...
Particularly Shawn James or Marcus Dove in the 2nd Round...

1 Big
Consider Javtokas (although unlikely)
Players to make runs at (in no order), Justin Williams (SAC, RFA), Craig Smith (Minn, RFA), Rasho Nesterovic (if he opts out, he shouldn't, TOR, UFA), Desagana Diop (DAL, UFA), Mutombo (HOU, UFA, I think he's retiring though)
Possible Draft Pick

If we filled numerous holes with vet min (Cassel, Barry), and Rookies (either 2 wing or 1 Big and 1 Wing), I might try to make a run for the following more expensive players:

Biedrins (GSW, RFA), Okafor (CHA, RFA), J. Childress (ATL, RFA), Brand (Clippers, UFA, If he opts out), Smith (ATL, RFA), Maggette(Clippers, UFA, If he opts out), Jamison (WAS, UFA)

We are exceedingly unlikely to get any of the above high cost FA's...

Hopeful Output Roster

PG - Parker, Cassell, Vaughn
Wing - Manu, Bowen, Udoka, Barry, Q Ross, Draft Pick (Shawn James or Marcus Dove)
Big - Duncan, Splitter, Mahinmi, Oberto, Bonner, Diop.

+ 1 draft pick in Europe (Nikola Pekovic). +1 draft pick in Europe (Ponkrashov)

Ghost Writer
01-31-2008, 05:49 PM
I think we'll be "okay" with Stoudamire.

Hopefully, like you said, one of the bigs next year will emerge, although I'd prefer someone productive and dependable now -- not in three seasons or three seasons ago.

So that leaves us with finding someone to replace either Finley or Bowen in the starting lineup.

T Park
01-31-2008, 05:50 PM
although I'd prefer someone productive and dependable now -- not in three seasons or three seasons ago.

You want that, then complain when the Spurs trade their draft picks.

Again, can't have it both ways sunshine.

Ghost Writer
01-31-2008, 06:28 PM
T Park, I don't want to be irresponsible with our draft picks.

I am all for "Win Now," but we've given away way more than we've got in return.

Death In June
01-31-2008, 06:36 PM
I don't know the spurs cap space or anything, but isnt Gilbert Arenas avaliable after this year? And hasnt he expressed some interest in leaving washington?

TDMVPDPOY
02-01-2008, 11:09 AM
I think this off season we better used the MLE

seriously i dont think throwing the MLE at brand or jamison (32yr old) or jermaine oneal overpricing unless we could get them for less to come here to fill the void in our roster.

look at the situations they are in atm, some could sign somewhere else for the MLE if they are interested in winning a ring with a contender, or resign with the current team since they trying to cash in their last paycheck.

Well with Jamison who is a FA coming of a good season, he be using gilbert as leverage what he should be getting...why resign for 6-7m a season when you can just sign with a contender for the MLE and shop for a ring....

Seriously if dont do well in the draft, addressing our team needs, then chucking out the MLE should be a good idea...even though it will lay back our 09/10 FA plans of attracting a lebron or wade/bosh player....heck we can use them expiring contracts in the trade

Ghost Writer
02-01-2008, 11:45 AM
Those guys are All Star caliber.

Next.

TDMVPDPOY
02-01-2008, 11:57 AM
Those guys are All Star caliber.

Next.

well guys like jamison, brand, jermaine are at the end of their careers;

either tryin to chase that last big contract with there teams or

become a ring chaser on a contender....

and not many teams out there have capspace beside hawks/76s/wizs who are tryin to clear cap for draft picks or rebuild...

doesnt hurt to throw out the MLE see who bites