PDA

View Full Version : Trouble in Duncan-ville?

duncan228
01-31-2008, 11:18 AM
I know there are lots of Spurs/Suns threads already, forgive me if this should be in one of those. Please merge if I messed up. :)

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cheapseats/articles/0131p2main.html

Trouble in Duncan-ville?
Bob Young
The Arizona Republic

It's funny what four championship trophies will do for you.

The Suns have been at or near the top of the Western Conference standings all season, but there are doubts about their ability to win a championship, questions about Mike D'Antoni's system, grumbling about the makeup of their roster and suggestions - from Phil Jackson, for instance - that the Suns' "window of opportunity" is closing fast.

Then there are the San Antonio Spurs.

• They have lost 16 games, including their past three.

• They have a losing record on the road.

• Since starting the season 17-3, they are 2-11 against teams that currently have a winning record.

• If they lose to the Suns tonight at US Airways Center, it would equal the Spurs' longest losing streak in the Tim Duncan era. The Spurs have lost four in a row twice since Duncan's arrival - in the 2000-01 season and in the 2003-04 season.

• Coach Gregg Popovich just sent point guard Tony Parker home to have a bone spur in his left foot examined, and the club's "Big Three" - Duncan, Parker and Manu Ginobili - have missed a combined 14 games because of injuries.

• Suns Killer Robert Horry has been ineffective.

• Suns Killer II Brent Barry is on the shelf because of a calf injury.

• Ginobili's bald spot is expanding faster than the hole in the ozone layer.

And yet, other than maybe some talk-radio types in San Antonio and some nervous Spurs fans, nobody is wringing their hands about the fate of the defending champions.

That's what four trophies will do.

The Suns could have Boston's record right now, and their critics would shrug and say it doesn't mean anything if they can't do it in the playoffs.

The Spurs have 16 losses, and everyone shrugs and says it doesn't mean anything because they'll do it in the playoffs.

"I'm sure they're a little more inconsistent than Pop wants, but he's in control of that situation," said Suns Assistant General Manager Vinny Del Negro, who spent six seasons with the Spurs. "When you're able to win four championships in the Tim Duncan era, you get some leeway. They get a little bit of a pass for being inconsistent at times because they've been successful at the most important time."

Cavaliers coach Mike Brown, a former Spurs assistant, recently told the San Antonio Express-News that Popovich has the Spurs right about where he wants them - scuffling now so they'll hit their stride when it counts.

"I believe in Pop's process," Brown said. "You peak early, and you gas out."

Former Spurs guard and Suns General Manager Steve Kerr isn't so sure it's part of the "process" this season, because injuries have played such a big part in San Antonio's troubles.

"But that's the benefit of having won championships," Kerr said. "You not only have trust amongst your team, you have a longer leash with your fans.

"You have a coach who has been there a long time who obviously has job security, and he can play around a little bit in the regular season and look at the big picture. Not everybody has that luxury."

Eventually, age and injuries might catch up to the Spurs, and the Popovich Process might falter.

But we'll all have to see it in the playoffs to believe it.

"It's a time the rest of us are all looking forward to," Kerr said, smiling. "We just don't know when that's going to be."

Speaking of getting old . . .

The Suns and Spurs were competing off the court, too, Wednesday in an effort to land 34-year-old point guard Damon Stoudamire, a former Arizona star.

Kerr said the Suns were "in the hunt" Wednesday, and it's easy to understand their interest.

Not only does Stoudamire seem to fit the Suns' style of play, but getting him would keep him away from the Spurs - who really need him with Parker potentially out for a while - and the Dallas Mavericks, who also evidently are interested in dealing for Jason Kidd.

We figure Kerr probably made a lot of recruiting calls for Lute Olson, so maybe he'll ask Olson to make this one for him.

urunobili
01-31-2008, 11:31 AM
Thanks duncan228.. it is definitively a good article... i think timee will have a huge game tonight... dunno if we'll pull it out but he will sure be with a sense of desperation trying to take a win that could be a turning point for this season...

LilMissSPURfect
01-31-2008, 11:34 AM
bald spot or no MANU OWNS the suns......geeesh..

WalterBenitez
01-31-2008, 11:35 AM
"Ginobili's bald spot is expanding faster than the hole in the ozone layer."

:wakeup that´s what I call a serious analysis

TDMVPDPOY
01-31-2008, 11:41 AM
then again, the sons have a full roster, we are playing with what we got, and all it takes is 1 player to put the ball into the basket....ummm numerous encounters in the pass when 1-2 of our players are out injured, they barely beat us that much anyway....POP playing mind games, makes you shit bricks

thispego
01-31-2008, 12:04 PM
"Ginobili's bald spot is expanding faster than the hole in the ozone layer."

:wakeup that´s what I call a serious analysis
it's filler and it's ridiculously stupid

phxspurfan
01-31-2008, 12:14 PM
Cool...Suns going after Stoudamire just to keep him away from the Spurs. That sounds like a Yankees-Red Sox-type of chess match there. I hope we continue the rivalry, just to keep things interesting and maybe give this team something to fight for (not literally).

Indazone
01-31-2008, 12:21 PM
LOL at Ginobili's expanding bald spot

Budkin
01-31-2008, 01:47 PM
Duncan will dominate tonight.

WalterBenitez
01-31-2008, 01:56 PM
it's filler and it's ridiculously stupid

Manu need to take this seriouly !!! Donald Trump's style won't hurt :rolleyes

ambchang
01-31-2008, 02:23 PM
• Ginobili's bald spot is expanding faster than the hole in the ozone layer.

Ozone layer depletion has slowed significantly since the ban of CFCs.
The guy should really do his research, even for jokes.

duncan228
01-31-2008, 02:35 PM

I agree.
I just hope it's enough for the win.

dbreiden83080
01-31-2008, 02:41 PM

Duncan actually has been dominating the whole month of Jan, it is everyone else not named Manu that is stinking up the joint.

phxspurfan
01-31-2008, 04:25 PM
Ozone layer depletion has slowed significantly since the ban of CFCs.
The guy should really do his research, even for jokes.

Did they ban CFCs in Chile? If not I'd like to take a vacation to that place yo. I heard it's pretty hawt and you get good tan.

bigfundamental21
01-31-2008, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the article duncan228.

I fully expect the Spurs to win tonight and turn things around on a hard fought win. I think both Manu and Tim will be huge and that Udoka will play a big role. These are the types of games that can really get us going again.

wildbill2u
01-31-2008, 10:19 PM
Sometimes you peak too early...and sometimes you don't peak at all.

Anyone who isn't a little jittery about the play of the team since November is looking at the past too much. There IS no switch.

T Park
01-31-2008, 10:29 PM
Anyone who isn't a little jittery about the play of the team since November is looking at the past too much

So in other words if you arent jittery, you dont know anything.

Genius.