PDA

View Full Version : stromile swift to be traded?

anonymous source
01-31-2008, 02:14 PM
could we trade elson for him?

VaSpursFan
01-31-2008, 02:16 PM
i think i'll pass. he's athletic but he has the b-ball IQ of a rock.

Ghost Writer
01-31-2008, 02:17 PM
Elson and Barry.

Maybe.

I liked Swift's potential a few years ago, but I question his desire now, big time.

Maybe he could resucitate is career with the Spurs.

anonymous source
01-31-2008, 02:19 PM
i think it be ok i mean its not like elson is going to be playing much the way it looks. and we wont lose anything with him

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-31-2008, 02:21 PM
To quote our old pal Charles Barkley on Stro's BB capabilities:
"He can run and he can jump but so can a deer. I wouldn't put a deer on my basketball team."

Swift is stronger, Elson's got a better jumper. Everything else is just a wash as neither is anything approaching a Pop level defender.

ancestron
01-31-2008, 02:21 PM
Stromile Swift is pretty good in NBA video games. Thats about it.

ChumpDumper
01-31-2008, 02:22 PM
Don't we want to get better when we trade?

No way I'd give up Barry for him. A straight up Elson/Swift deal would be a lateral move.

anonymous source
01-31-2008, 02:24 PM
we need to at least land someone young who can go above the rim, and i dont mean swift

ChumpDumper
01-31-2008, 02:30 PM
We have Ian, and he'll be playing about as much as Swift would.

anonymous source
01-31-2008, 02:33 PM
ya i gues you are wright but i still thnik elson needs to go i mean he just doesnt seem to get better

JamStone
01-31-2008, 02:35 PM
Stromile is better than Elson. Not a huge upgrade, but still better. I wouldn't call it a lateral move, but I wouldn't call it that substantially improves the Spurs either. It's one of those possible things that you could say well if it happened, fine. If it doesn't, fine.

MaNu4Tres
01-31-2008, 02:35 PM
ya i gues you are wright but i still thnik elson needs to go i mean he just doesnt seem to get better

Yeah he hasn't gotten better, decent playing time could help. It's not like Spurs practice all the time. Therefore the only way players really get better is by attending shootaround and by actually playing in games.

ChumpDumper
01-31-2008, 02:38 PM
He doesn't screw with the next cap plan so it wouldn't hurt that way. With any luck he would just opt out this summer. Still isn't really worth trading Barry or two other players for.

MaNu4Tres
01-31-2008, 02:39 PM
Still isn't really worth trading Barry or two other players for.

Agreed

tav1
01-31-2008, 02:50 PM
Stro Swift would never see the court and we'd lose Barry. This would make us worse, not better. All this trade talk has me wondering if we would a) trade someone like Horry, despite his history with us, or Oberto, despite the Argentine connection or b) if we'd be willing to take back a bad contract (assuming we'd trade it later) as part of the price of getting a decent player.

For example, the Bucks are shopping Gadzuric and Villanueva as a package. They really want to clear cap. In the short term those two players could potentially help us win a championship, but represent more of a risk than a sure thing. The second the season ended, Gadzuric would have to go back on the block and would remain there until we moved him.

Gadzuric would be a super back up center at 3 million a season; He's a huge burden at 6.

Now, I'm not advocating that we make such a trade. I'm simply asking if the Spurs desire to repeat would motivate them into this kind of deal? Are they willing to take this sort of risk?

Ghost Writer
01-31-2008, 03:14 PM
Actually, upgrading Elson might be worth trading Barry and a couple scrubs for.

Barry is hurt.

And when healthy, hits 3s and not much else.

djohn14
01-31-2008, 03:15 PM
I really wish we could see some Ian tonight! With Elson and Oh Boy Oberto blowing it and Horry taking the season off it wouldnt hurt.

sa_butta
01-31-2008, 03:21 PM
I really wish we could see some Ian tonight! With Elson and Oh Boy Oberto blowing it and Horry taking the season off it wouldnt hurt.Right now Chip Engelland would probably have a better night on the court.:spin

AFBlue
01-31-2008, 03:23 PM
I'd rather go for a similar Grizzlies player on a much smaller contract...Hakim Warrick. Word is that he's not in their future plans and he has improved his offensive game to the point where he could be effective.

sribb43
01-31-2008, 03:31 PM
Grizzlies will trade Stro...then they will reacquire him in the offseason for a 3rd time

G-Nob
01-31-2008, 03:32 PM
Strom for Elson no good on RealGM trade scenario

MoSpur
01-31-2008, 03:54 PM
I use to be a fan of Stromile, but he doesn't seem to care when he plays.

Holt's Cat
01-31-2008, 04:11 PM
If we want to dream, Kurt Thomas.

ancestron
01-31-2008, 04:46 PM

Barry is hurt.

I disagree with that. Barry has proven to be a pretty exceptional playmaker on the offensive end as well. Him being hurt is a big reason the ball isn't moving very well for the Spurs right now.

But...he isn't getting any younger. Maybe he should be traded while he still holds some value.

Ghost Writer
01-31-2008, 04:55 PM
I like Barry a lot, but he's not much more than a 3-gunner these days. Same as Finley.

Barry won't be back next year.

If he didn't get hurt, he'd probably be traded.

Phenomanul
01-31-2008, 05:02 PM

Barry is hurt.

Ummm... at a pretty high clip...

IMHO After Parker's injury, Barry's absence is the 2nd most significant reason why the Spurs' offense has become stagnant.

The last 'dominant' quarter played by San Antonio was sparked by Brent against the Lakers. When he's out on the floor the ball seems to find the open shooter.

Ghost Writer
01-31-2008, 05:05 PM
Okay, guys... let's just wait for Parker and Barry to heal and all the issues will be resolved then.

sa_butta
02-01-2008, 02:25 PM
The Nets are set to acquire athletic 6-foot-10 forward Stromile Swift from the Memphis Grizzlies for Jason Collins, league sources said.

The deal was being worked on Thursday night and could be finalized today or sometime over the weekend. -- The Record (http://www.northjersey.com/sports/nets/15096971.html)

Swift can help the Nets with his length, shot blocking and athletic ability. Playing with Jason Kidd, he could do some exciting things. But who knows how long Kidd will be around. It's possible the Nets did this move to try and appease him since Kidd wants guys running alongside him. It could be too little, too late, however. -- The Record (http://njmg.typepad.com/zzone/2008/02/jason-may-be-ou.html#more)

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors?&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2ffeatures%2frumors