PDA

View Full Version : No all star for Manu or Tony

ricketts
01-31-2008, 07:25 PM
the west reserves were just announced on TNT (and probably somewhere else i missed) and out other two all stars were left out.

the starters for the west are as follows:

Steve Nash
Chris Paul
Dirk Nowitzki
Carlos Boozer
Amare Stodemire
Brandon roy
David West

I think East beats West this year.

duncan228
01-31-2008, 07:26 PM
Brandon Roy made it. tlong is going to be thrilled.

ludda
01-31-2008, 07:27 PM
Barkley is getting his undies a twist cuz Camby didn't make it

I saw this coming anyways.

crc21209
01-31-2008, 07:29 PM
Fuck Camby. The Nuggets dont even deserve both Melo & Iverson in the All-Star game. Maybe just Melo, not so much Iverson

roycrikside
01-31-2008, 07:33 PM
Lame. 12 of the top 13 PER guys made it. Guess who was left out?

Manu's PER is 25.08, 6th in the NBA, tops among shooting guards. Roy is 34th, at 19.91. This is embarrassing. I don't understand how Ginobili made the all-star team in '04-05 but not now when he's clearly having a better year now.

roycrikside
01-31-2008, 07:35 PM
Also, Jose Calderon was screwed. He's been the third best guard in the East, behind Wade and Billups.

roycrikside
01-31-2008, 07:38 PM
I don't think Roy is among the top 20 players in the West. In addition to the 11 other All-Stars, I'd take Manu, Tony, Baron Davis, Marcus Camby, Josh Howard, Shawn Marion, Al Jefferson, Tracy McGrady, and Deron Williams before I'd take Roy. He's above average in a lot of aspects, but not really good at anything.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
01-31-2008, 07:42 PM
Roy was impressive as a rookie.

He's above average in a lot of aspects, but not really good at anything.

I'm pretty indifferent to him this year though.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-31-2008, 07:45 PM
Good.

urunobili
01-31-2008, 07:45 PM
i can't believe Manu got THIS screwed...

remingtonbo2001
01-31-2008, 07:46 PM
Maybe the two can actually get in some R&R. God knows they need it.

T Park
01-31-2008, 07:48 PM
Ginobili > Roy

duncan228
01-31-2008, 07:48 PM
The Spurs need both of them healthy.
A weekend in NO, combined with the media and the game, was more toll on their bodies.
Let them rest.

Chucho
01-31-2008, 07:50 PM
I don't think Roy is among the top 20 players in the West. In addition to the 11 other All-Stars, I'd take Manu, Tony, Baron Davis, Marcus Camby, Josh Howard, Shawn Marion, Al Jefferson, Tracy McGrady, and Deron Williams before I'd take Roy. He's above average in a lot of aspects, but not really good at anything.

Don't hate on Roy, his team is winning and quite unexpectedly may I add.
It just shows how much more stacked the West is than the East really. TMac does NOT deserve an All-Star spot for the exact inverse of why Roy deserves a spot that and a ridiculous amount of injuries is to blame. The West should have a motto akin to "Where the REAL players play."

I think you could get two incredible squads with the players from the West and after the twelve players on the East squad the pickings get real slim. Hedo, Ray Allen, maybe Gilbert Arena's when he's not injured and maybe Richard Jefferson too. Vince Carter is fading away fast and Jermaine O'Neal is two steps away from Penny Hardaway/Juwan Howard territory.

On the Western front: Lamar Odom, Marion, Durant, Kevin Martin, Parks and Manu, Baron Davis, Stephen Jackson, J.Howard, Devin Harris (both Dallas boys would be all-stars in the east EASY)Kirilenko, D. Williams, Al Jefferson, and more that I'm forgetting. The talent levels in each conference are so drastic and disparaging that its sad. Outside Motown and Boston there really isn't a legit contender from the East while the top seven teams in the West all have a legit shot. The West just keeps getting better and better every season despite misinformed, band wagon hopping analysts saying otherwise. The East is a great place to go when you can't get it done out West...I'm looking directly at K.G.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
01-31-2008, 07:51 PM

Manu's PER is 25.08, 6th in the NBA, tops among shooting guards. Roy is 34th, at 19.91. This is embarrassing. I don't understand how Ginobili made the all-star team in '04-05 but not now when he's clearly having a better year now.
yeah, unfortunately the stupid injuries, and everyone outside of Timmy and Tony, helped to douse our great play of the big three. All of them are averaging 19 points a piece this year
Not that All-star games matter THAT much, but it's cool to see our guys get the nod. Like he'd be pretty entertaining playing along side Kobe Bryant and stuff. That's what I wanted to see this year.

A weekend in NO, combined with the media and the game, was more toll on their bodies.
Let them rest.
Sometimes I think it could help morale though. I was hoping Tony, Tim and Manu would all make it to have a good time there and ride that wave. Manu could have rode the extra confidence boost from the coaches, like he did in 2005.
But maybe it doesn't really make that much of a difference at this point, since AS games are more important for the younger guys.

Well Whatever.. like people have said more rest for Manu and Tony to heal up for the second half of the season.

Chucho
01-31-2008, 07:54 PM
Plus the All-Star game is a complete joke and is for the fans. If it mattered, like in MLB, it would make sense to get all pissy, otherwise just sit back and enjoy and take pleasure in knowing that the two most important variables in the Spurs' championship equation will be getting rest instead of waisting away in a meaningless game.

JP le Requin
01-31-2008, 07:54 PM
because TP and Gino arent on all star team it will well rest them and gave them another reason to beat all nash, CP3, nodickski...@ the PO

Cherry
01-31-2008, 07:56 PM
i can't believe Manu got THIS screwed...

Don't worry. Manu is very happy for this. He'll get some rest.

T Park
01-31-2008, 07:57 PM
Yeah this is a great plus for the SPurs.

Manu needs to chill out and rest that weekend anyways.

Manu should be fresh and awesome tuesday. Four days off for him is like an energy drink to anyone else.

ambchang
01-31-2008, 07:57 PM
David West made it? He's good, but I am at least mildly surprised that he made it over BDiddy.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
01-31-2008, 07:59 PM
Plus the All-Star game is a complete joke and is for the fans. If it mattered, like in MLB, it would make sense to get all pissy, otherwise just sit back and enjoy and take pleasure in knowing that the two most important variables in the Spurs' championship equation will be getting rest instead of waisting away in a meaningless game.
:lol
I know. I think most fans get mad in theory...when it's time to tune in, you realize the games are hardly worth watching at all. :lol
It's more enjoyable for the players than it is for the fans.

E20
01-31-2008, 08:03 PM
Meh.....I guess you could say that the Spurs ASG is in the Finals every year.

chaco
01-31-2008, 08:03 PM
Brandon Roy
PPG 19,3
RPG 4,5
APG 5,6
SPG 0,9
BPG 0,2
FG% 0,460
FT% 0,785
3P% 0,338
MPG 37,3

Manu Ginobili
PPG 19,5
RPG 4,7
APG 4,2
SPG 1,6
BPG 0,4
FG% 0,443
FT% 0,824
3P% 0,401
MPG 29,8

Kobulingam
01-31-2008, 08:04 PM
GOOD.

Now our super-munchkins can rest.

ricketts
01-31-2008, 08:08 PM
whatever, i want Manu to have fire tonight. maybe he'll get pissed and show the coaches what they passed up on.

TMTTRIO
01-31-2008, 08:09 PM
Well with Tony injured and Manu looking to play all year long again (including the Olympics this year) they really need this time to recharge and rest up. It would be cool to see them there but I don't think they really care, especially Manu who already said he already had plans during that time. I do wonder if Manu will ever make another AS game again

baseline bum
01-31-2008, 08:11 PM
Manu was a shoo-in before he injured his hand. I'm glad to see him get the snub, just to get some rest and to be ready for some heavy minutes the next couple of weeks with Parker out.

SenorSpur
01-31-2008, 08:16 PM
David West made it? He's good, but I am at least mildly surprised that he made it over BDiddy.

Need I remind you of the 32 pts he dropped on our boys last Sat night?

porscha
01-31-2008, 08:20 PM
xxxx the all star, it is just a stupid SHOW anyway

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-31-2008, 08:21 PM
Baron Davis should be there. He's one of the most entertaining ballas in the NBA, along with Manu...

peskypesky
01-31-2008, 08:49 PM
Brandon Roy
PPG 19,3
RPG 4,5
APG 5,6
SPG 0,9
BPG 0,2
FG% 0,460
FT% 0,785
3P% 0,338
MPG 37,3

Manu Ginobili
PPG 19,5
RPG 4,7
APG 4,2
SPG 1,6
BPG 0,4
FG% 0,443
FT% 0,824
3P% 0,401
MPG 29,8

damn! when you put it like that, it sure does seem that manu shoulda been an all-star over roy.

Budkin
01-31-2008, 09:02 PM
Good, rest is better.

greens
01-31-2008, 09:05 PM
Brandon Roy
PPG 19,3
RPG 4,5
APG 5,6
SPG 0,9
BPG 0,2
FG% 0,460
FT% 0,785
3P% 0,338
MPG 37,3

Manu Ginobili
PPG 19,5
RPG 4,7
APG 4,2
SPG 1,6
BPG 0,4
FG% 0,443
FT% 0,824
3P% 0,401
MPG 29,8

I also thought it would be between Roy and Manu for that wild card spot...since both are shooting guards. And I didn't think there would be too many point guards chosen...

Looking at this, it's clear that Manu has a higher PER and better stats, also a lot less minutes per game...so he was definitely snubbed.

It's too bad. I was really hoping Manu was going to be chosen...Roy is good. But I don't get how he was chosen over Manu...It makes me wonder if Manu will ever get chosen to an All Star game again...Yup, the rest is good, but it looks like his shooting hand is much better now...and this might have been his best chance at getting chosen again.

it's me
01-31-2008, 09:59 PM
Brandon Roy (STARTER)
PPG 19,3
RPG 4,5
APG 5,6
SPG 0,9
BPG 0,2
FG% 0,460
FT% 0,785
3P% 0,338
MPG 37,3

Manu Ginobili (BENCH)
PPG 19,5
RPG 4,7
APG 4,2
SPG 1,6
BPG 0,4
FG% 0,443
FT% 0,824
3P% 0,401
MPG 29,8

Fixed

nkdlunch
01-31-2008, 10:00 PM
bingo. BENCH

curtismedellin
01-31-2008, 10:00 PM
Put up as many stats as you want, Tony and Manu don't deserve to be on the All Star Team.

it's me
01-31-2008, 10:02 PM
Tony and Manu don't deserve to be on the All Star Team.

Does Brandon Roy?

nkdlunch
01-31-2008, 10:04 PM
Put up as many stats as you want, Tony and Manu don't deserve to be on the All Star Team.

Manu doesnt? why not?

hater
01-31-2008, 10:06 PM
a baldie has no place in the allstar game

bigfundamental21
01-31-2008, 10:13 PM
Let them rest.
Definitely!

Plus, Tony is injured anyway and wouldn't be able to participate if he wanted to. I wanted them to make the team, but right now rest has to be the number one priority.

BonnerDynasty
01-31-2008, 10:14 PM
Ginobili > Roy

BonnerDynasty
01-31-2008, 10:15 PM
Definitely!

Plus, Tony is injured anyway and wouldn't be able to participate if he wanted to.

He'd be out clubbin with Eva and spittin' hot fire every night though... :elephant

Kori Ellis
01-31-2008, 10:18 PM
He'd be out clubbin with Eva and spittin' hot fire every night though... :elephant

We heard you the first time you posted it. You can keep your trash at out of every thread.

greens
01-31-2008, 10:19 PM
Yup, those stats are indeed BENCH stats...I don't know any other player that had ever averaged such high numbers from the bench other than Manu Ginobili.

In fact, in another thread, I had written that Chris Paul/Steve Nash would be chosen for sure, which would have left two wild card spots open...I had mentioned that I didn't think TP, Deron Williams, Baron Davis would be chosen because that would be too many point guards...so that left basically Brandon Roy and Manu, two shooting guards. But I really felt out of these two, Manu would be more deserving due to the "bench" player status and at least 8 minutes less of playing time than Roy and higher PER.

Kori, any idea why the coaches chose Roy over Manu?

Kori Ellis
01-31-2008, 10:21 PM
Manu deserved it for his efficiency. But I didn't think he was going to make it after he got hurt. And like it or not, most coaches are now starting to think of him as a bench player. So, he isn't one of the first people they think of when voting for All Stars.

Selfishly, I'm glad he didn't make it because I want him to rest. I wish Tim didn't have to go either.

it's me
01-31-2008, 10:25 PM
Manu deserved it for his efficiency. But I didn't think he was going to make it after he got hurt. And like it or not, most coaches are now starting to think of him as a bench player. So, he isn't one of the first people they think of when voting for All Stars.

Selfishly, I'm glad he didn't make it because I want him to rest. I wish Tim didn't have to go either.

Manu= Overrated by Spur’s fans and underrated by everyone else. Playing off the bench has a lot to do with this fact.

greens
01-31-2008, 10:25 PM

Right, but wouldn't it be even more impressive for the coaches to see such high numbers and efficiency from a bench player, as opposed to a starter? I thought this would have actually helped Manu...

plus, I still don't know how they think of Manu as a bench player, after 3 championship rings he has...plus part of the Big Three...

BonnerDynasty
01-31-2008, 10:26 PM
"bench players" don't finish games and dominate other teams all the time. I doubt they think of him as bench.

Oh yeah, and the 3 rings and gold medal.

curtismedellin
01-31-2008, 10:26 PM
Look, Manu has played injured recently as we all know. While he's getting back to his style of play, most All star ballots are based on reputation (star status) or who's hot right now. The fact of the matter is Manu and Tony have been sucking it up for the team because of injuries,Tony moreso than Manu. No average voter for these games are going to pull out stats for each player and make an unbiased decision on who should represent which conference for an all star game. It's a popularity contest and Manu has done nothing to impress say the average Atlanta Hawks fan to say "Hey Manu has kicked fuckin' ass this year let me vote umpteenth million times for him cause he deserves it!"

Shit, Manu needs to heal as well as Tony give 'em the time off. Maybe we'll still have a shot to repeat...

timvp
01-31-2008, 10:28 PM
David WestWest making the team surprised me a little bit because he always seems to be overlooked but with the Hornets playing as well as they are, he deserves the spot.

Manu's PER is 25.08, 6th in the NBA, tops among shooting guards. Roy is 34th, at 19.91. This is embarrassing.I don't understand how Ginobili made the all-star team in '04-05 but not now when he's clearly having a better year now.Simple. Spurs had the best record in the league in 2005 at this point in the season. This year, the Spurs have only the 6th or 7th best record.

Add in that Ginobili's best part of the season was early in the year and it's not too surprising he got left out. I think he deserved it but it doesn't surprise me at all. If the Spurs would have not fallen off drastically after their 17-3 start, Ginobili would have made it.

Also, Jose Calderon was screwed. He's been the third best guard in the East, behind Wade and Billups.Calderon on the All-Star team was never going to happen. Which member of the East should be knocked off in place of Calderon? Calderon is a good player but I don't think even Hollinger believed he should make it. Hollinger was just pimping his PER stat, per usual.

I don't think Roy is among the top 20 players in the West. In addition to the 11 other All-Stars, I'd take Manu, Tony, Baron Davis, Marcus Camby, Josh Howard, Shawn Marion, Al Jefferson, Tracy McGrady, and Deron Williams before I'd take Roy. He's above average in a lot of aspects, but not really good at anything.Roy got in because the Blazers are doing better than anyone expected and he's been the best player on their team. Not too tragic.

Manu was a shoo-in before he injured his hand. I'm glad to see him get the snub, just to get some rest and to be ready for some heavy minutes the next couple of weeks with Parker out.Perfect scenario for me would be if Manu made it but then played like five minutes. This is probably the safer scenario but the historian part of me would like to see Ginobili make more than one All-Star team in his career. A lot of scrubs have made one All-Star game. You start separating yourself once you make the All-Star team a second time.

Kori Ellis
01-31-2008, 10:29 PM
Kori, any idea why the coaches chose Roy over Manu?

Probably because Portland is doing so much better than expected that they think should have an All-Star.

T Park
01-31-2008, 10:32 PM
You start separating yourself once you make the All-Star team a second time

Yeah like Sean Elliott :)

timvp
01-31-2008, 10:35 PM
BTW, Spurs fans need to stop looking at PER as some sort of guide of who is going to make the All-Star team. PER is just a stat that Hollinger made up. I've never heard of an NBA coach mention PER. I doubt more than a hand full of coaches even know what PER is ... and they are the ones who vote on the reserves.

I wanted Ginobili to make it and I think he deserved to make it but a successful argument for why he should make it can't revolve around PER. In the eyes of All-Star voters, that stat doesn't exist.

timmy21_4rings
02-01-2008, 12:49 AM
Disappointed Manu is not there...No complaints on the selection. None from Golden state too...Sometimes it is tough. You can not really complain...........

greens
02-01-2008, 02:07 AM
BTW, Spurs fans need to stop looking at PER as some sort of guide of who is going to make the All-Star team. PER is just a stat that Hollinger made up. I've never heard of an NBA coach mention PER. I doubt more than a hand full of coaches even know what PER is ... and they are the ones who vote on the reserves.

I wanted Ginobili to make it and I think he deserved to make it but a successful argument for why he should make it can't revolve around PER. In the eyes of All-Star voters, that stat doesn't exist.

For me, it's not really the PER...it's the fact that Manu averages 19 pts off the bench...which is something unheard of and should separate him from other candidates, like Brandon Roy, who makes 19 pts as a starter, playing 38 minutes a game...

Historically, I don't think there has ever been a player who averages that much off the bench...

Anyway, the results are already in...I just feel that Manu definitely earned it this year especially...

Doctor J
02-01-2008, 02:17 AM
Brandon Roy
PPG 19,3
RPG 4,5
APG 5,6
SPG 0,9
BPG 0,2
FG% 0,460
FT% 0,785
3P% 0,338
MPG 37,3

Manu Ginobili
PPG 19,5
RPG 4,7
APG 4,2
SPG 1,6
BPG 0,4
FG% 0,443
FT% 0,824
3P% 0,401
MPG 29,8

I guess the only reason Ginobili was left out was that he plays lesser minutes than Roy.... Ha Ha Ha.

TDMVPDPOY
02-01-2008, 02:21 AM
For me, it's not really the PER...it's the fact that Manu averages 19 pts off the bench...which is something unheard of and should separate him from other candidates, like Brandon Roy, who makes 19 pts as a starter, playing 38 minutes a game...

Historically, I don't think there has ever been a player who averages that much off the bench...

ever heard of a guy from chicago name BEN GORDAN?

carina_gino20
02-01-2008, 02:31 AM
Manu summed it up pretty well:

“This is the NBA, the Western Conference,” Ginobili said. “I don't have any complaints. The four days off probably will help me.”

greens
02-01-2008, 02:37 AM
Manu summed it up pretty well:

Thanks for posting.

By the way, do you have the link to the whole article?

During the Suns/Spurs game, everyone was all talking about how Marion was left out unfairly from the All Stars game...

Kori Ellis
02-01-2008, 02:38 AM
During the Suns/Spurs game, everyone was all talking about how Marion was left out unfairly from the All Stars game...

Marion's a whiny bitch. So that comes as no surprise.

baseline bum
02-01-2008, 02:40 AM
Thanks for posting.

Maybe Marion can demand a trade from the Western Conference too.

greens
02-01-2008, 02:45 AM
Marion's a whiny bitch. So that comes as no surprise.

What's interesting is how the announcers were all talking about how Marion does not feel as appreciated as his two teammates and thinks he does not get enough credit...and that's why he wanted a trade a while back...He's in one of the top teams!

huh? Who would not want to play with Steve Nash, who is a very unselfish player?

Kori Ellis
02-01-2008, 02:47 AM
What's interesting is how the announcers were all talking about how Marion does not feel as appreciated as his two teammates and thinks he does not get enough credit...and that's why he wanted a trade a while back...He's in one of the top teams!

huh? Who would not want to play with Steve Nash, who is a very unselfish player?
You should read Jack MacCallum's book "Seven Seconds or Less" and then you will see what a whiny baby Marion is.

One time, he got so mad because the Suns cheerleaders were wearing Nash and Amare jerseys in a skit and not his. He through a big fit about it.

greens
02-01-2008, 02:50 AM
You should read Jack MacCallum's book "Six Seconds or Less" and then you will see what a whiny baby Marion is.

One time, he got so mad because the Suns cheerleaders were wearing Nash and Amare jerseys in a skit and not his. He through a big fit about it.

Really? :wow

Apparently, Marion also said today that in his opinion, he's an All Star every single year...

Kori Ellis
02-01-2008, 02:51 AM

Apparently, Marion also said today that in his opinion, he's an All Star every single year...

He actually said in a magazine something to the effect of .. Nash might be the MVP of the league, but I'm the MVP of this team. :blah

greens
02-01-2008, 02:57 AM
He actually said in a magazine something to the effect of .. Nash might be the MVP of the league, but I'm the MVP of this team. :blah

:dizzy

Wow, he doesn't show too much respect towards his teammates...

Kori Ellis
02-01-2008, 02:58 AM
:dizzy

Wow, he doesn't show too much respect towards his teammates...

They have been trying to deal him on and off for a couple years because coaches/management are sick of having to always baby him and stroke his ego. What's funny is that he could just shutup and be good, then he'd get whatever respect he's looking for. It's weird for an NBA player to be so insecure and jealous.

Crookshanks
02-01-2008, 02:58 AM

Yep - I heard the mini interview they did with him and he did say that! He said he was very disappointed because he thinks he's an All Star every year. :dramaquee Boy, what an ego! :p:

greens
02-01-2008, 03:03 AM
They have been trying to deal him on and off for a couple years because coaches/management are sick of having to always baby him and stroke his ego. What's funny is that he could just shutup and be good, then he'd get whatever respect he's looking for. It's weird for an NBA player to be so insecure and jealous.

Perhaps he simply has a big ego...and thinks he should be the top leader of any NBA team...

I'm just wondering how his teammates, specifically Nash, react to him? Because, it would sound like there would be chemistry issues due to one big ego...

roycrikside
02-01-2008, 04:31 AM

Whether they're aware of the stat consciously or not is irrelevant. The point is that 12 of the top 13 were named all-stars so obviously there is a strong correlation between Hollinger's stat and guys who can freakin' play. I wish you wouldn't dismiss the stat so easily, because you never see anyone on there in the top 50 and think, "Man, that guy sucks" but you see ESPN overhype mediocre guys who just chuck up a lot of shots all the time.

The stat values traits that one would think most coaches would value: Efficiency, quality, and being an all-around player. All this proves is that coaches are filthy liars. They all talk about how Manu is the perfect player, how he adapts to any role, how he never complains, how he hustles, does the little things, how he's clutch, etc. etc. etc., but when it comes to voting, it's the usual "star" fest, filled with guys with no postseason experience and non-existent crunchtime moments on their resumes.

There is not a single convincing argument anyone could make for Roy over Ginobili other than media hype. Roy isn't really doing anything people didn't expect he'd do this year. The team's improvement has as much to do with Aldridge, Blake and Webster as it does with him. Maybe the GM and the coach deserve some credit for putting a decent team around Roy.

Hell, even having Roy instead of Davis is a joke. You talk about surprising teams, isn't the Warriors record a surprise? What do they have like, 27, 28 wins so far? They only had 42 all of last year and already have more road wins this season than last.

Nice story for Portland, but Roy is by far the least deserving all-star in either conference, it's complete lunacy. This tells me that next year they'll put Oden in the game if he has a fucking pulse. The Blazers won't make the playoffs this season, and you can take that to the bank.

roycrikside
02-01-2008, 04:36 AM
What I really don't understand about the voting is that both conferences are definitely deeper in talent at point guard than shooting guard and yet both have gone with two points and three shooting guards on the team. That makes no sense at all. Calderon is having a much better year than Hamilton or Joe Johnson and Davis or even Deron Williams would've been a better choice than Roy.

hsxvvd
02-01-2008, 04:49 AM
Parker didn't deserve too, he's played terribly lately and he couldn't have played anyway.

Manu... I don't want him too anyway, we need to keep the team as fresh as we can.

Hopefully Duncan doesn't get too many minutes either.

Do we have anybody in the 3 point?

mathbzh
02-01-2008, 05:47 AM
Parker didn't deserve lately in a conference overloaded with talented PG.

I would pick Manu over Roy for he is a proven winner, play for the reigning champ, has better stats. But I am fine with Manu having some rest... the post season should be very tough in the west this season and we will need the best from our big 3.

MONTENEGRINO
02-01-2008, 07:04 AM
Shame that Manu isn't selected. Tony doesn't deserve it anyway.

carina_gino20
02-01-2008, 07:28 AM
Thanks for posting.

Here's the link to the whole article. It's easy to ignore because it's at the end of a D.Stoudamire article:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA020108_SpursNotes.en.7a8406d9.html

TMTTRIO
02-01-2008, 07:44 AM
I would love to see Manu make at least one more AS game before he hangs it up but unfortunately I can't see it. There's just too many good guards in the west with all the hype where Manu stays under radar (especially coming off the bench). Sometimes I wonder when he was selected in '05 if most of that had to do with Manu leading his own team to that gold medal. Oh well we all know how important he is to us. If we're basing there careers by AS then Finley>Ginobili :).

urunobili
02-01-2008, 09:32 AM
ESPN truehoop on Manu not making it:

Manu Ginobili
Manu Ginobili is a superstar. He just happens to play shorter minutes, have a smaller scoring average, than the likes of Allen Iverson. Tony Parker was the MVP of the Finals last year, but in the guts of crunch time, Ginobili was the guy with the daggers at both ends of the floor. There's really not anything he can't do -- he is an excellent three-point shooter, he drives to the hole as splendidly as anyone, and he plays killer D. If we're picking teams, All-Star teams, pick-up teams, or whatever, I'll take Ginobili, you take Iverson, and we'll see who wins.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-29-132/Big-Easy--Big-Snub-.html

rascal
02-01-2008, 09:47 AM

Good post. Its not a plus that Manu plays fewer minutes than Roy in choosing an all star reserve. Anyways Baron Davis and D Williams or Al Jefferson should have beaten both of them out for a spot.

So what if the team has too many pgs. The players having the best season should go. Its just an exibition game and two pgs can play at the same time in that type of game.

mathbzh
02-01-2008, 09:53 AM
So what if the team has too many pgs. The players having the best season should go. Its just an exibition game and two pgs can play at the same time in that type of game.

Don't ask coaches to select only pgs... and Al Jefferson as a Guard is a great idea :rolleyes
A lineup of Jefferson, Nowitsky, Stoudemire, Duncan, Yao would be fun

Rummpd
02-01-2008, 10:27 AM
Manu far greater than Brandon Roy~

tlongII
02-01-2008, 10:37 AM
Brandon Roy carries our team every night. Does Manu do that for the Spurs? No. It's not all about stats, and the coaches realize just how good Roy is. He's not the type of player that fills up the stat sheet. He just controls the game.

greens
02-01-2008, 09:15 PM
Another Snub All Star Manu and TP article:

G – Manu Ginobili: Spurs are slumping, but that's no fault of his. Even with his shooting hand dinged up for the past month, he's averaging a career-high 19.5 points, a three-point hike from his previous best, while clocking under 30 minutes a night. He's the engine that revs the defending champions. Honorable mention – Tony Parker has the numbers, but also a bad left heel, so he wouldn't play anyway.

source:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AmMtrtQB_6_DxIJjQhMNbX2kvLYF?slug=jy-allsnubbed013108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

nkdlunch
02-01-2008, 10:58 PM
Look, Manu has played injured recently as we all know. While he's getting back to his style of play, most All star ballots are based on reputation (star status) or who's hot right now. The fact of the matter is Manu and Tony have been sucking it up for the team because of injuries,Tony moreso than Manu. No average voter for these games are going to pull out stats for each player and make an unbiased decision on who should represent which conference for an all star game. It's a popularity contest and Manu has done nothing to impress say the average Atlanta Hawks fan to say "Hey Manu has kicked fuckin' ass this year let me vote umpteenth million times for him cause he deserves it!"

Shit, Manu needs to heal as well as Tony give 'em the time off. Maybe we'll still have a shot to repeat...

dude if you did not know yet. The reserves are chosen by the coaches. It is not a popularity contest.

I think Manu deserves allstar but I'm glad he did not. He might feel pissed and take it out on the court. plus he needs rest because he is playing more minutes now.

rascal
02-01-2008, 11:42 PM
Don't ask coaches to select only pgs... and Al Jefferson as a Guard is a great idea :rolleyes
A lineup of Jefferson, Nowitsky, Stoudemire, Duncan, Yao would be fun
Never said Al Jefferson would play guard. Al Jefferson should make the team before Manu or Roy. There are plenty of guards on the team.

Its just an exibition game. You can play two top pgs easily in a game at the same time like the all star game where little to no defense is played anyways.

curtismedellin
02-03-2008, 09:36 AM
dude if you did not know yet. The reserves are chosen by the coaches. It is not a popularity contest.

Yeah I did.

The topic is "No All Star for Manu or Tony"

JamStone
02-03-2008, 12:08 PM
Manu far greater than Brandon Roy~

Not so far this season. And, the all star game is for this season, not past seasons and not international play.