PDA

View Full Version : Age catching up with the Lakers next year?

TwoHandJam
08-06-2003, 06:28 PM
Payton and Malone have been freakishly injury free for most of their careers. It would stand to reason that year over year, the odds of either of them suffering a serious injury has been increasing. It's virtually impossible for an NBA player to retire without some pretty debilitating injuries or conditions and these guys are pushing the envelope. If I'm not mistaken, both Malone and Payton have missed some games last year with back problems. I don't wish any ill on these guys but we know about back problems because DRob was plagued with them in his last years. They generally don't just go away.

In the same vein, the average age of the Lakers starting 5 is 35+25+26+31+40/5 = 31.4

Spurs: 21+25+32+27+27/5 = 26.4.

Wouldn't the transition game we've seen in spots in last year's offense work well against these guys? We're going to have to use our athleticism a lot to counter their formidable starting 5.

timvp
08-06-2003, 06:41 PM
Malone and Payton are both tough SOBs. They're not going to sit out many games, even if they are hurting.

Also, trying to run against them might backfire. Malone is the best running bigman of all-time and Payton and Kobe can get out and run.

If Shaq is in shape, he's as good as a runner as Duncan is.

CrazyOne
08-06-2003, 06:43 PM
Mighty big if on that last statement, LJ.

2Cleva
08-06-2003, 06:47 PM
Maybe a big if but Shaq has already lost 20 lbs.

LA won't be easy to run on but SA and other teams doing that and using quickness and playing helter-skelter will have a lot better chance than playing LA in the halfcourt. On both ends, they will be deadly.

Flipmode master
08-06-2003, 06:49 PM
I think those guys will stay injury free,but age will still be a factor.The Spurs have a big adavantage in age,speed and athleticism.

TwoHandJam
08-06-2003, 06:53 PM
Karl and Gary are tough indeed but nature dictates that everyone succumbs to age/injury eventually. I just think these guys are reaaally pushing the envelope. Even if they play injured, by definition they won't be 100% and that hurts the Lakers. Their bench will once again be exceptionally thin, especially if Fox's injury is as serious as it seems. I don't see these guys putting in >32mpg so that leaves 16mpg at these positions for the bench.

Karl and Gary can both run but not for extended periods of time. Malone often seems to have nothing in the tank in 4th quarters. Gary can still defend but has lost much of the lateral quickness that coined the "Glove" nickname.

If they survive another gruelling 82 game season, will they have what it takes to make it through the playoffs healthy? They will play injured if they can stand up but can they be effective?

WriterNum934
08-06-2003, 06:54 PM
Hmmm...

The Nets have the best running team in the NBA. They average the most fast break points in the NBA and will still be a better running team than LA next year... so what happened in theFinals? Our tansition D killed them. How many alley oops did they have? 1. How many fast break points? Less then 15 I think.

Lakers running won't kill us.

I want to see Malone hold Tim. I want to see Gary keep up with Tony. I want to see Shaq step out on Rasho. I want to see Kobe jack up 50 shots to score 24 points.

TwoHandJam
08-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Maybe a big if but Shaq has already lost 20 lbs. What's your source on this info? I wouldn't really trust any sources unless you could provide a picture.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-06-2003, 07:28 PM
Lost 20 pounds eh?

So what, that puts him down to what, 395?

AHF

adidas11
08-06-2003, 07:30 PM
It should be a concern for the Lakers, playing against teams that want to run against them. A lot of how fastbreak basketball is determined is by rebounding (both offensively and defensively). In my opinion, this falls on Shaq's shoulders. One thing that really hurt him last year was his offensive rebounding (especially in the playoffs). When he's in better shape physically, he is able to gather lots of offensive rebounds, and thereby negating the opposing team's ability to fastbreak.

It'll come down to which team can impose their will, and their type of game. Age really isn't that much of a factor.

Temple Of The Dog
08-07-2003, 03:01 PM
age will be a factor if the lakers are going to try to have a good regular season. i think their depth will be a big problem if thats the case. first of all, malone and payton have to play heavy mins in order to be effective and the drop off on the bench is pretty large still.

personally, i think after all the offseason hype and the kobe problems, they're going to want to get off to a good start... its going to be up to phil jackson to manage wins and egos during the regular season, if they're going to have any chance at being half as potent in the playoffs.

SpursWoman
08-07-2003, 03:41 PM
age will be a factor if the lakers are going to try to have a good regular season. i think their depth will be a big problem if thats the case. first of all, malone and payton have to play heavy mins in order to be effective and the drop off on the bench is pretty large still.

That's what I think. I can't imagine age not being a factor when playoff time comes around....and they've had to slug it out most of the season with big minutes and little quality back up.

2Cleva
08-07-2003, 03:45 PM
Disagree. They know have a lot less pressure on them because they won't be the focal point of the defense as they had before. A team can't try to focus on any one player or they will be burned by the other 3.

35 instead of 45 minutes a night will leave these guys chomping at the bit.

Especially since most games won't be a slugfest. Besides the top 4 teams or so, the rest of the L doesn't really stand a chance.

picnroll
08-07-2003, 03:56 PM
Lakers have zero tolerance for loss of a big man. Shaq, Malone, ??? Grant, that's it. They lose Shaq they're obviously screwed. They lose Malone they are also screwed. Grant, what's he got left? After that it's Medvedenko and the rookie. Laker's fans better keep their fingers crossed. Every playoff team can't tolerate losing a dominant palyer, a Duncan, Webber, Nowitzki, Kidd, Garnett but no other contender is as susceptible as the Lakers are to losing front court players, even non-dominant ones.

Temple Of The Dog
08-07-2003, 04:29 PM
Disagree. They know have a lot less pressure on them because they won't be the focal point of the defense as they had before. A team can't try to focus on any one player or they will be burned by the other 3.

lots of teams will take their chance... the bigger question you should ask is whether or not egos and fatigue will get in the way after that kind of strategy doesn't work. (especially going into the playoffs)

depth wins in the regular season now... this isn't the league of a few years ago when only the top 1 or 2 teams were talented or stacked. now we have clubs like phoenix who might be the 6th or 7th best team in the west who will have the horses to outrun the lakers or any older team.

the playoffs will be where the lakers might shine, but only if payton, malone and shaq can stay fresh enough... and without that depth... that might be tough.

2Cleva
08-07-2003, 04:53 PM
Temple - With a busted roster, no depth, injuries, Shaq fat, and a lackadasial attitude, LA still managed 5th place in the West. Adding Malone and GP and assuming no major injuries, they'll get Top 4 easily. No way they don't make the playoffs.

And come playoff time, if all 4 can play they will be deadly.

Temple Of The Dog
08-07-2003, 05:04 PM
i didn't say they wouldn't make the playoffs... of course i feel they'll make the playoffs cleva. i said the regular season will be interesting to watch because of their age (as far as how phil jackson manages it) because i think they're going to be pushed to do well out of the gate... and that means lots of playing time for the old guys.

at least they don't have horry to blame anymore if theres a playoff letdown?

2Cleva
08-07-2003, 05:19 PM
Didn't mean to imply you said it. But its not like they aren't used to heavy minutes. Plus, there is talented young depth at each position off the bench.

I point to the playoffs just because thats all that really matters.

Temple Of The Dog
08-07-2003, 05:29 PM
ok that was the point here. i don't see that talented young depth that you do? i see a bunch of guys on their bench who would be lucky to see 5 mins on other deep clubs in the west... and they're gonna be backing up old guys who'll have to work hard just to mesh well together.

but we'll see. in my view, phil jackson is going to have to take some heat during the regular season... maybe not do as well as people think... keep those guys mentally and physically ready for the playoffs. otherwise, they'll be dead.

Nbadan
08-07-2003, 06:21 PM
I think that with the loss of Speedy Claxton and Stephan Jackson, the Spurs may be the team that has trouble running early in the season. They lost a lot of athleticism in those two moves - or lack thereof.

ducks
08-07-2003, 06:44 PM
yeah they lost a player in speedy. which half the time the spurs could not even count on him being healthy. also jackson is WAY OVERRATEd by you it is not funny. hedo>jackson

Temple Of The Dog
08-07-2003, 08:00 PM
I think that with the loss of Speedy Claxton and Stephan Jackson, the Spurs may be the team that has trouble running early in the season. They lost a lot of athleticism in those two moves - or lack thereof.

manu replaces sjax in the starting lineup... he's just as fast, if not faster, with better handles, court vision and finish. claxton came off the bench and was never a tone setter other than in that role. yeah he came through big time, but parker will be playing more mins and carter has good speed.

we're a much more dangerous team with tony on the court anyway. (2nd leading scorer) hedo will most likely be taking up the "manu role" from last year. he gives us another guy who can come in at 2 positions with good speed, handles and shooting when on. - i don't see the dropoff.

KoriEllis
08-08-2003, 12:33 AM
The Spurs and Lakers will probably both start the season slow, due to all the offseason changes.

Spurs' teams notoriously don't gel until at least January -- and that's about the time Shaq usually starts getting in shape.

So I guess we shouldn't all panic if other teams are the frontrunners early on in the season.

(Yeah right, Spurs fans not panic? What am I thinking?)