PDA

View Full Version : Stoudamire had eye on Spurs all along

naico
02-01-2008, 03:06 AM
Pro basketball: Stoudamire had eye on Spurs all along

Web Posted: 02/01/2008 12:03 AM CST

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

PHOENIX — Before he had heard the news that Tony Parker's injury would keep the Spurs' two-time All-Star point guard out of action for the next three weeks, Damon Stoudamire had made up his mind: The 13-year veteran would sign a free-agent contract with the Spurs, rather than the Celtics, Raptors or Suns.

Stoudamire, a 5-foot-10 point guard with 13 years in the NBA, will fly to San Antonio today. He said he will sign the contract before the team's practice Saturday, and then work out with his new teammates.

The deal is believed to be a veteran minimum deal, worth a pro-rated portion of $1.219 million for the remainder of the season.

“I'd already decided to sign with the Spurs,” Stoudamire said Thursday, “and then I saw the news about Tony flicker across the bottom of the TV screen on the ticker.”

Stoudamire negotiated a buyout of the remaining two years of his deal with the Memphis Grizzlies on Monday, becoming a free agent after he cleared waivers Thursday.

Nicknamed “Mighty Mouse,” Stoudamire said throughout his career he never dreamed he would have an opportunity to play for the Spurs.

“I always thought how good it would be to play for them,” he said. “No. 1, they're a class organization. No. 2, it's an opportunity for me to kind of help them get back where they had been. It's seldom you get an opportunity to play with an organization that always has a chance to win it all.

“I played a lot of games against them and, from afar, I always felt they were the best.”

Injury report: An MRI exam on Spurs point guard Parker's left ankle revealed no structural damage, ruling out surgery.

Nevertheless, the inflammation in the joint remains a big enough problem that Parker will not make the next phase of the team's long road trip, missing at least six more games, beginning with Tuesday's game at Indiana.

On Thursday, Parker received anti-inflammatory shots designed to decrease the swelling in his ankle.

The pain in the ankle joint first flared up in early December. He missed three games in mid-December, hoping the rest would reduce the inflammation. After he struggled in recent games, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich ordered him to sit out.

No timetable has been set for Parker's return. With the NBA All-Star weekend following the conclusion of the six-game trip Parker will miss, he would have rested the ankle for 22 days if he made his return when the Spurs play the Charlotte Bobcats at AT&T Center on Feb. 19.

“He wants to play, but I don't care,” Popovich said before Thursday's game against the Phoenix Suns. “It's bothering him too much. He's about 60, 70 percent, and that's not good enough. It's not getting better, so he needs to get off of it.”

“There's nothing structural. He doesn't need an operation, or anything like that, but there's stuff going on down there and he needs to rest it.”

No more stars: Neither Parker nor Manu Ginobili was added to the Western Conference All-Star team by the coaches.

“This is the NBA, the Western Conference,” Ginobili said. “I don't have any complaints. The four days off probably will help me.”

timvp
02-01-2008, 03:12 AM
It's hard not to like Stoudamire at this point. He's wanted to be a Spur for a long time. Sure he went a bit far in bashing AJ -- but I gotta think he said what he did to try to get on the team, not bash AJ. I'm not sure if he has anything left in the tank but I'll give him a clean slate.

Welcome aboard :smokin

greens
02-01-2008, 03:29 AM
Welcome to the Spurs, Stoudamire!

I hope Pop will give him a good amount of minutes.

Vinny Del Negro
02-01-2008, 03:31 AM
This Board needs a few more Might Mouse threads. I think I'm gonna start 8.

polandprzem
02-01-2008, 03:36 AM
This Board needs a few more Might Mouse threads. I think I'm gonna start 8.

Why are you so envy, Vinny?

All in all you was not a solution back in a days ...

Borosai
02-01-2008, 03:51 AM
"...there's stuff going on down there and he needs to rest it.”

I've got the same problem.

vander
02-01-2008, 04:05 AM
I fucking hate Staudamire, he's the guy who ripped AJ, said no team with AJ would ever win the title :nope

Tek_XX
02-01-2008, 04:15 AM
rippin AJ....welcome aboard.

Tek_XX
02-01-2008, 04:16 AM
Did he really say "i saw it flicker on the ticker"?

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-01-2008, 04:22 AM
I fucking hate Staudamire, he's the guy who ripped AJ, said no team with AJ would ever win the title :nope
I don't really like him either, as a player, and just...he's just blah.

And it's a no brainer to pick the Spurs over all the other teams in contention. If there was a poll among NBA players, Spurs would probably win by a landslide.

BUT, if he can help us out this season. then fine.
At this point, him getting a ring isn't something I care to celebrate though (if we end up going all the way). It's not like he's Finley or anything.

But who knows, maybe he'll grow on us, and become well-liked.

MagnusKrauss
02-01-2008, 04:30 AM
as long as he contributes to the team in a good way.

:flag:

Dre_7
02-01-2008, 05:11 AM
I think this is a really big signing for the Spurs. He is gonna be a major contributor.

TDMVPDPOY
02-01-2008, 05:16 AM
i wonder if he be in a HEB commercial with the mango trees???

Bruno
02-01-2008, 06:06 AM
Stoudamire will have some practice time before playing his first game with Spurs. It will help him.
Stoudamire could really help Spurs while Parker is out. If he has still something left in the tank, he will be able to create scoring opportunities for him or for his teammates.

whottt
02-01-2008, 06:12 AM
It they can get Avery Johnson a ring, they can damn sure get me one - Damon Stoudamire

Just kidding...although he probably is thinking something along those lines.

I like how he said he's always wanted to play for the Spurs and thought they were the best...except for when he thought that no team with Avery Johnson as it's PG would ever win a title.

Coattailer. Period!

whottt
02-01-2008, 06:15 AM
It's hard not to like Stoudamire at this point. He's wanted to be a Spur for a long time. Sure he went a bit far in bashing AJ -- but I gotta think he said what he did to try to get on the team, not bash AJ.

No...I think he legitimately believed no team with Avery Johnson as it's PG would ever win an NBA title. It's not like it took a huge leap of faith to think that....

Welcome aboard :smokin

Damon, timvp always loves the new FA...he'll turn on you if you suck though. In fact he'll be the one at the head of the line carrying the pitchfork and lantern.

Might even turn on you if you don't.

timvp
02-01-2008, 06:24 AM
No...I think he legitimately believed no team with Avery Johnson as it's PG would ever win an NBA title. It's not like it took a huge leap of faith to think that....You should love him then.

Although you were both wrong . . .

Damon, timvp always loves the new FA...:lmao :lmao

You were the one whining this summer that timvp had become too negative and all timvp did was bash the Spurs and the players. Now you are saying I always love the new FA? Classic.

And yeah, I really loved Francisco Elson, Rasho Nesterovic and your man-crush Shane Heal, among others. When I don't like a new free agent, they end up sucking. Always. When you don't like a new free agent, they win championships.

Oops.

Kobayagi
02-01-2008, 06:44 AM
It was about time the Spurs got younger. DS is gonna bring some freshness into the rotation.

genomefreak13
02-01-2008, 06:55 AM
It was about time the Spurs got younger. DS is gonna bring some freshness into the rotation.

Are you being sarcastic? or just wanna be funny?

m33p0
02-01-2008, 07:27 AM
well, the whole of spursdom are crossing their collective fingers he'll be a good enough stop gap while tony is out.

SouthernFried
02-01-2008, 08:12 AM
God...this reminds me of the NVE thing too damned much.

I never liked NVE either.

urunobili
02-01-2008, 08:33 AM
do you guys think Parker should be shut down until mid march or more if mighty mouse proves he can run the show?

to21
02-01-2008, 08:45 AM
Get over the past......The only people who seem to care what he said years ago are the pansies in here.

to21
02-01-2008, 08:46 AM
do you guys think Parker should be shut down until mid march or more if mighty mouse proves he can run the show?
Sure, If we get great guard play from EITHER JV or MM, then shelf him and get him healed.

Rummpd
02-01-2008, 09:25 AM
A.S. = physically gifted and mentally challenged.

D.S. = exactly what Spurs need.

SAGambler
02-01-2008, 09:41 AM

Tony needs to be shut down until he is 100% healthy again.

If Damon can come in an give close to his career averages, it should improve the Spurs chances to stay afloat. And there would be no need to rush Tony back.

Come playoff time, we need Tony healthy. Just go look at the differece in the Offense when he was, versus the Offense now. Tony not healthy = everyone taking a huge dip in their offensive game.

I say sit him as long as it takes to heal the heel.

ancestron
02-01-2008, 09:52 AM
Nick Van Exel part 2:
Damon Stoudamire.

MoSpur
02-01-2008, 10:04 AM
I don't think Stoudamire will be another Van Exel signing.

Ghost Writer
02-01-2008, 10:07 AM
I ripped on Avery Johnson, too. So what?

Come to think of it... the Spurs have a habit of winning titles with players that would never start on other teams.

Stoudamire trashing AJ is called "gamesmanship." I don't mind that.

And about the weed? Who doesn't enjoy a nice blunt of 'dro every now and then?

Welcome aboard, Damon.

You'll be starting as early as next week.

Watch.

ducks
02-01-2008, 11:04 AM
Before he had heard the news that Tony Parker's injury would keep the Spurs' two-time All-Star point guard out of action for the next three weeks,

sa_butta
02-01-2008, 11:13 AM
who cares what he said about Avery 9 years ago. People act liked he killed someone. Get over it and move on! He can definitely help the team and we desperately need a point guard.Excactly and Avery proved him wrong anyways. Lets see what he can bring, like it or not he is a Spur.

ambchang
02-01-2008, 11:22 AM
Never liked Mighty Mouse, too much of a no-defense chucker, but since the deal is already made, no point whining.
Hope MM can help.

san antonio spurs
02-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Never liked Mighty Mouse, too much of a no-defense chucker, but since the deal is already made, no point whining.
Hope MM can help.
The defense is my main concern, but obviously Pop said that the spurs have no trouble keeping teams under their season scoring average. His concern is scoring and we all know Mighty Mouse can score.

But what tells us this is not NVE part deux?
They both wanted to play with spurs, they were both old, they could all score with the best of them but couldn't guard our grand mothers.

And don't forget what the Pop system does to shooters in their first year, TROUBLE.

lonestr
02-01-2008, 11:43 AM
I, for one, am expecting Damon to do well. He knows he has a shot with this team and will conform to our ways. He's no longer the scoring option that his salary expected him to be with the other teams, so he no longer has the weight of the team on his shoulder to worry about. Here's an opportunity for him to have fun and win a championship ring. His experience will not allow him to take this for granted.

ShoogarBear
02-01-2008, 12:26 PM
One bright spot: Finally, once and for all I will now have it ingrained who is Stoudamire and who is Stoudemire.

VaSpursFan
02-01-2008, 12:27 PM
i think everyone did their due diligence here, both Damon and the Spurs. personally, i think this guy is going to fit in well. he might not be the best defensive player but playing with the second team, his purpose is to sustain any lead the spurs has and he can score the ball. before memphis went into their youth movement, he was putting up decent numbers and assists early in the season.

i welcome the guy...he gives us more offensive punch with the second unit now. manu, idoka and damon on the court at the same time sounds pretty sweet to me.

TDMVPDPOY
02-01-2008, 12:29 PM
the question is, at this age, is he better than beno though?

he better show that fire he wants to win a ring, like how it took finley 2 seasons

Budkin
02-01-2008, 12:33 PM
I wanna know how mouse feels about having another mouse in the house.

AFBlue
02-01-2008, 12:38 PM
One bright spot: Finally, once and for all I will now have it ingrained who is Stoudamire and who is Stoudemire.

Still have to differentiate between the two StoudAmires...

spursfan09
02-01-2008, 12:42 PM
I am happy with the signing. Every championship year there is a veteran that has never won before and is trying to win one for the first time. Damon, this one is for you...

Bruno
02-01-2008, 12:55 PM
Stoudamire hasn't been very good lately with Memphis. We will soon know if it was only because of his age or if he also lacked of some motivation.

I expect Pop to put players back in their role that is to say starting Finley/Stoudamire with Vaughn and Ginobili coming from the bench.

wildbill2u
02-01-2008, 04:08 PM
Hard for me to believe that a midget with all the miles of 13 so-so years on him is the best available guard FA out there.

But ya gotta trust in the FO and Pop...and praying a little helps.

Spurs Brazil
02-01-2008, 07:55 PM
I hope Stoudamire can help

Leetonidas
02-01-2008, 08:09 PM
So when the fuck is he officially signed anyway?

clubalien
02-01-2008, 11:57 PM
this signing alone forced the lakers trade for gasol correct?

T Park
02-02-2008, 12:03 AM
Hard for me to believe that a midget with all the miles of 13 so-so years on him is the best available guard FA out there.

May be hard for you, but look at the list of current PGs available......

slayermin
02-02-2008, 12:17 AM
His overall FG Pct. sucks but he's 36 of 94 on threes this season which is a .383 3pt pct. He will get wide open looks beyond the arc. This will be interesting.

T Park
02-02-2008, 12:21 AM
Yeah I wish hed play every game like he did that second game of the year....

Dex
02-02-2008, 12:52 AM
The only thing that could convince me this is a good idea is Jacque Vaughn putting up 15 shots.

That being said, welcome aboard Mighty Mouse. Make somethin' happen.

Slippy
02-02-2008, 01:06 AM
Damon won't want to rock the boat and try to do to much. This situation he's coming into, is different to the others he's been in. He knows the opportunities will be there to prove his worth and the Spurs do need a guy who can up the tempo on offense like Tony can. The best part, im gonna feel a lot more at ease seeing him shoot wide open shots instead of Vaughn.

Good signing by the Spurs .

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-02-2008, 11:13 AM
When Damon Stoudamire formally signs with San Antonio on Saturday, he will secure a salary of $538,054 for the final 75 days of the regular season, pro-rated from the NBA veteran minimum of $1.2 million.

Stoudamire's salary-cap figure will actually be a mere $339,975 -- because the league pays a portion of the salary on veterans with at least three seasons of service time who sign at the minimum rate -- but that small amount is still enough to potentially cost San Antonio some $2 million at season's end.

The Spurs, at present, are about $275,000 under the luxury-tax line. They need Stoudamire even more now than when they started pursuing him with Parker out indefinitely thanks to a heel injury, but bringing him in will prevent the Spurs from collecting the estimated rebate in the $2 million range afforded to all teams at season's end that stayed under the tax line ... unless San Antonio makes a trade between now and the Feb. 21 trading deadline that takes its payroll back below the line.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-080202-03

Kori Ellis
02-02-2008, 01:50 PM
Here's a video of him getting off the plane last night, for whoever cares ...

http://www.woai.com/content/sports/spurs/story.aspx?content_id=2f7cdd65-9ff0-4b73-ae76-e21a69de4574

kobe_bryant
02-02-2008, 02:38 PM
gasol >>> damon

T Park
02-02-2008, 05:44 PM
any idea what his number is?

Spurs.com still doesn't have him on the roster...

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-02-2008, 06:42 PM
any idea what his number is?

Spurs.com still doesn't have him on the roster...
He should be signed and given his number later today.
He's scheduled to practice with the Spurs tomorrow morning.

G-Nob
02-03-2008, 12:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYpBoYa4pno

midgetonadonkey
02-03-2008, 12:32 AM
James White!!!!

DynastyBuilder
02-03-2008, 12:46 AM
No official release yet. Interesting...

Maybe I'm looking to deep into it, just peculiar.

Kori Ellis
02-03-2008, 12:55 AM
No official release yet. Interesting...

Maybe I'm looking to deep into it, just peculiar.

Not that peculiar.

He was having a physical today and the paperwork probably won't be processed by the league officially until Monday. Spurs never put out an official release until things go through the league.

DynastyBuilder
02-03-2008, 12:56 AM
Thanks Kori, so maybe I am looking too deep into it. :)

Spurs Brazil
02-03-2008, 07:26 AM
Stoudamire will sign with Spurs today

Web Posted: 02/02/2008 11:49 PM CST

Jeff McDonald
Express-News Staff Writer

When the Spurs return to the practice floor this morning, they will do so with a new face among them.

Veteran point guard Damon Stoudamire is expected work out with his new team for the first time today after formally signing a free-agent contract.

Stoudamire, 34, originally had hoped to sign with the Spurs on Saturday. Those plans changed when the team opted to take the day off after returning from Phoenix.

A 12-year NBA veteran who was the league's Rookie of the Year in 1996 with Toronto, Stoudamire hit the free-agent market last week after seeking and receiving a buyout in Memphis. He is expected to sign a deal believed to be worth the veteran minimum, pro-rated for the remainder of the season.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA020308.BKN_stoudamire_spurs.en.37db48f.html

Mr. Body
02-03-2008, 09:00 AM
Welcome, man. Play hard.

Spurs Brazil
02-03-2008, 10:31 AM
SPUR OF THE MOMENT

Damon Stoudamire should be happy that the Celtics got cold feet about signing him to shore up their point-guard spot. Although Stoudamire was eager to join the East's top team, the Celtics decided he wasn't the best fit, leaving him in limbo until Spurs VP-coach Gregg Popovich visited him in Memphis and convinced him to sign with the Spurs. When one Eastern Conference president heard that Popovich had left the Spurs after their game in Seattle and flown all night to Memphis to meet with Stoudamire, while the team went onto Phoenix for an off-day, he said, "Now that's impressive." But it's typical of the Spurs, who sold Stoudamire on the idea that he'll get plenty of playing time, with Tony Parker sidelined indefinitely with a bone spur in his left heel, along with the fact that he'll have his best shot at winning a title since playing for Western Conference finalist Portland in 2000.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/nets/2008/02/03/2008-02-03_jason_kidd_throws_nets_under_bus_in_sear.html?p age=2

DynastyBuilder
02-03-2008, 12:08 PM
Officially official :)

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/spurs_sign_damon_stoudamire_080203.html

VaSpursFan
02-03-2008, 01:48 PM
SPUR OF THE MOMENT

Damon Stoudamire should be happy that the Celtics got cold feet about signing him to shore up their point-guard spot. Although Stoudamire was eager to join the East's top team, the Celtics decided he wasn't the best fit, leaving him in limbo until Spurs VP-coach Gregg Popovich visited him in Memphis and convinced him to sign with the Spurs. When one Eastern Conference president heard that Popovich had left the Spurs after their game in Seattle and flown all night to Memphis to meet with Stoudamire, while the team went onto Phoenix for an off-day, he said, "Now that's impressive." But it's typical of the Spurs, who sold Stoudamire on the idea that he'll get plenty of playing time, with Tony Parker sidelined indefinitely with a bone spur in his left heel, along with the fact that he'll have his best shot at winning a title since playing for Western Conference finalist Portland in 2000.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/nets/2008/02/03/2008-02-03_jason_kidd_throws_nets_under_bus_in_sear.html?p age=2

wow...I like Pop's actions. i'm impressed.

still.focused
02-03-2008, 04:00 PM
WTF The Lakers get Gasol in a fire sale
Pop goes to Memphis and sures up Damon?

T Park
02-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Spurs have a pretty good PF...

BTW, I doubt Pop promised "big minutes"

Bruno
02-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Portland newspaper has a nice article on Stoudamire :

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregonian/stories/index.ssf?/base/sports/1202009107257090.xml&coll=7

With Spurs, Stoudamire has title hopes
In San Antonio, the former Blazers guard is expected to get a prorated share of the minimum $1.2 million veteran's salary

Sunday, February 03, 2008
GEOFFREY C. ARNOLD
The Oregonian Staff

He missed out on reaching the NBA Finals while playing for the Trail Blazers. Now, Damon Stoudamire has given himself another opportunity.

Stoudamire signed a free agent contract with San Antonio last week after negotiating a buyout for the remaining two years of his contract and being waived by the Memphis Grizzlies. The move to the reigning NBA champions will give Stoudamire a chance to win a title that has eluded him during his 13 seasons in the league.

"He has an opportunity to play for an NBA champion and they're always going to be a threat in the West," said Aaron Goodwin, Stoudamire's agent. "He has an opportunity to . . . play considerable minutes and be able to help the team."

The 5-foot-10, 171-pound Stoudamire, expected to receive a prorated portion of the $1.2 million veteran's minimum contract, now plays for one of the league's elite teams, one that annually contends for a championship.

The Spurs have slumped lately -- going 12-13 in their past 25 games, in part because of injuries. But their 84-81 victory at Phoenix on Thursday shows they remain contenders.

Stoudamire, who will join former Blazers player Ime Udoka in San Antonio, figures to see immediate playing time. Starting guard Tony Parker is expected to miss three weeks while allowing inflammation resulting from bone spurs in his left heel to heal. And when Parker returns, Stoudamire will most likely replace Jacque Vaughn as Parker's backup.

Many around the NBA expected Stoudamire to sign with Boston after his release; however, that scenario changed quickly. The Celtics hesitated in signing Stoudamire after learning that Sam Cassell, who is under contract with the Los Angeles Clippers, might become available. Goodwin said Stoudamire had other options and didn't wait for the Celtics to make a decision.

"The difference is Damon was available, Sam could be available," Goodwin said. "Boston needed a little bit more time to work out the particulars to see if they were even going to acquire Damon. But he had opportunities with three teams, so there was no reason for him to wait around."

Goodwin said San Antonio and Toronto were "aggressively" courting Stoudamire. The Raptors continue to wait and see if starting point guard T.J. Ford will return from neck and back injuries suffered during a fall Dec. 11. (He reportedly will return to practice Monday or Tuesday).

While the talk focused on Boston, Stoudamire was focusing on San Antonio, a team he considered joining before he signed with Memphis in 2005. Goodwin said San Antonio was the frontrunner in the bid for Stoudamire's services.

"Even if Boston had made a decision that they wanted Damon, I think that Damon had come to a conclusion that San Antonio was a better fit," Goodwin said. "Right around the time we knew there was a possibility to do a buyout, we sat down and figured out the teams that would be a good fit for him. San Antonio was one of those teams and, thankfully, San Antonio had equal interest in Damon."

The Grizzlies agreed to let go of Stoudamire, 34, after the team decided to start rookie point guard Mike Conley, the fourth overall pick in the 2007 NBA draft, and use second-year player Kyle Lowry as the backup.

Stoudamire played in 29 games and averaged 7.3 points before the Grizzlies placed him on the inactive list Jan. 3. Stoudamire, not interested in joining the Grizzlies' youth movement at this stage of his career, wanted out.

Stoudamire, the seventh overall pick by Toronto in the 1995 draft, was traded to Portland in 1998. He spent 71/2 seasons in Portland, averaging 12.2 points and 5.7 assists.