PDA

View Full Version : I Didn't Like Manu Starting at the PG

Ghost Writer
02-01-2008, 10:11 AM
I am not a fan of Jaques Vaughn, but the offense started off like crap with Ginobili bringing the ball up.

I know that Stoudamire will be starting before you know it, but I would've started Vaughn last night.

I like a prototypical PG bringing the ball up and Manu off the bench works.

MadDog73
02-01-2008, 10:14 AM
It all worked out at the end...

Vaughn ended up with 17 pts, and Manu ended up with 19... and we won the game.

I think if you told Spurs fans that the Spurs would win at PHX w/o Parker, they wouldn't believe you.

In fact, I remember threads last year saying Manu should start over Vaughn if Parker was unable.

Hemotivo
02-01-2008, 10:15 AM
left index finger

Ghost Writer
02-01-2008, 10:17 AM
Sure it worked out, but not until the proper substitutions were made.

I don't like Manu running the point.

Barry when healthy, I can live with, I guess.

But I like traditional PGs setting guys up.

Manu is better getting the pass and creating for himself.

MoSpur
02-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Manu looked terrible. He turned the ball over way too many times with stupid passes. He looked lost out there.

Hemotivo
02-01-2008, 10:20 AM
and feeding the post

Cherry
02-01-2008, 10:21 AM
It doesn't work this time, but i'll take his 19 pts in the 4q :p:
Patience. They need to get better :wakeup

MoSpur
02-01-2008, 10:27 AM
I like him creating his own shot or running a fast break.

Ghost Writer
02-01-2008, 10:40 AM
HE also ran point during the Seattle game and had only 1 turnover and 7 assists.
I thought Vaughn started?

We win that game?

ancestron
02-01-2008, 10:43 AM
I like Manu running the point. He did it toward the end of game 7 in the 05 finals when Tony was in la la land and that worked out pretty well.

ploto
02-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Manu is not a point guard and when he has to focus from the beginning of the game on being a point guard it does not work- and it never did. He is okay doing it for short stretches during the game, but not to start at PG.

I think the Spurs did it because Finley sucked so bad off the bench and it was the only way to keep both Finley and Manu in the starting line up without going small.

1Parker1
02-01-2008, 10:55 AM
While I agree with you that Manu did not look capable of running the point...something that many Spurs fans have been preaching for years, I do believe 100% that he should start when Parker is out. Firstly, Manu is a horrible starting PG because he is really bad at getting the rest of the Spurs into the offensive sets/plays. Also, he's very TO prone and it puts too much pressure on him to create his own shot and run the offense for everyone else.

But without a doubt, he needs to start with Parker out...who else would you start? A lineup of Finley, Vaughn, Duncan, Oberto, and Bowen is basically 2 on five for offense. Add to it, none of those players in the starting 5 are capable of creating their own shot (well outside of Duncan I guess). That would be a nightmare for Pop. Besides, the bench was actually quite productive last night against the Suns. Udoka, Vaughn helped.

ducks
02-01-2008, 11:02 AM
pop does not like manu running the point either

tp and manu can not switch places

Phenomanul
02-01-2008, 11:11 AM
Sure it worked out, but not until the proper substitutions were made.

I don't like Manu running the point.

Barry when healthy, I can live with, I guess.

But I like traditional PGs setting guys up.

The Suns were overly active yesterday on the passing lanes - especially in the first half, when Manu committed the bulk of his turnovers . But make no mistake about it - Manu is a capable point guard.

Having said that (and others here have already alluded to it), when Manu does have to man the point, it seems to place too much pressure on him with regards to creating shots for himself - it's almost as if he feels inclined to pass first on every play.

Manu has shown many times that he can hand out assists with the best of them - a fact which essentially negates your premise.

WalterBenitez
02-01-2008, 11:21 AM
Manu isn't a PG, he could run some plays, certainly in the 4th.

For the record as PG Manu sucked, but we win :)

phxspurfan
02-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Manu starting at PG is of course out of necessity. FOr one game only we needed two point guards for a span (until Damon comes in)...

Ghost Writer
02-01-2008, 11:46 AM
No.

You start Vaughn then.

urunobili
02-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Manu and Tony CONSTANTLY change their roles while playing together... that's what makes our back court so herky jerky... you never know who of the two is going to do what... Manu definitively is not a guy to start as a PG... he has done it this whole pre-season pretty effectively but not against top teams POP please!!!!

greens
02-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Manu simply had a bad game scoring wise vs Phoenix until the fourth quarter, that is...I think it has nothing to do with his PG skills...Some nights are just off...

In Seattle, he had 7 assists, 1 TO.

Also in the playoffs last year, at one point, Manu had a career high 11 assists vs Utah.

So he's actually really good at creating shots for his teammates. The problem is that sometimes they miss their shots. Anyway, if you check his stats for most games, he at least averages 4-5 assists...so that's actually one of his stronger points.

As of right now, I'm not sure what Pop is going to continue to do. Lately, both Manu and Tim have been playing 40 mins per game...that's a bit too much for the both of them. I think probably Manu will keep starting since that's necessary right now.

When TP is healthy and comes back, obviously he's the PG. But for right now, I think Manu will probably handle that...or Pop will continue switching between Vaughn and Manu as PGs...depending on the situation.

ploto
02-01-2008, 11:11 PM
Manu simply had a bad game scoring wise vs Phoenix until the fourth quarter, that is...I think it has nothing to do with his PG skills...Some nights are just off...

In Seattle, he had 7 assists, 1 TO.

Also in the playoffs last year, at one point, Manu had a career high 11 assists vs Utah.

So he's actually really good at creating shots for his teammates. The problem is that sometimes they miss their shots. Anyway, if you check his stats for most games, he at least averages 4-5 assists...so that's actually one of his stronger points.
Just because you have assists, it does not make you a point guard.