PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul biggest GOP fundraiser last quarter

Ryvin1
02-01-2008, 11:56 AM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2008/02/news-shocker-ro.html

News Shocker: Ron Paul biggest GOP fundraiser last quarter

Well, it's official, ladies and gentlemen. Believe it or not, Rep. Ron Paul, the 72-year-old Texan who hardly ever gets mentioned in Republican political news and the one-time libertarian who always gets the least time on TV debates if he isn't barred completely, was, in fact, the most successful Republican fundraiser in the last three months of 2007.

By a Texas mile.

By the thousands Paul's fervent followers donated $19.95 million to the "Ron Paul Revolution." He spent $17.75 million and at year's end had $7.8 million cash on hand, making him the only Republican candidate to increase his fundraising totals in every quarter of 2007. According to his website, Paul's Paulunteers have contributed another $4.1 million this month to...

fuel the strict constitutionalist's travels and advertising campaign.

Compare that impressive financial success with, say, the late candidate Rudy Giuliani, who raised only $14.4 million from Oct. 1 to Dec. 31 and spent $18.2 million.

Or the departed Fred Thompson, who collected $8.9 million and spent $13.9 million.

Or even the newly-minted Republican frontrunner Sen. John McCain, who raked in only $9.9 million, spent $10.5 million and had only $2.9 million cash in hand. Of course, McCain's string of primary victories in January will have boosted his financial fortunes. Everybody loves a winner.

Mitt Romney actually raised only $9.2 million from other people last quarter, less than half of Paul's haul. However, the former Massachusetts governor -- and if he keeps spending at this rate the quite possibly former multimillionaire -- gave himself $18 million more of his own money last fall for a total of $27.2 million and $2.4 million cash on hand.

The former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee, who's had trouble raising money, issued an unusual statement Thursday night. "My presidential campaign," he said, "has defied the odds and will continue to do so, as we head into the Super Tuesday primaries, proving the power of of message over money and mechanics."

The statement did not include any Huckabee figures for the fourth quarter. Which suggests that the winner of the Republican caucuses in Iowa didn't have a very good fourth quarter.

So a certain suspicious blogger, lead by the experienced hand of The Times' campaign finance expert Dan Morain, went to the website of the Federal Election Commission and looked up Huckabee's fourth quarter report. It seems he raised about $6.7 million, a third of Paul's sum, while spending $7.08 million, leaving him on New Year's Eve with cash on hand of only $651,300.68. No wonder he didn't mention numbers in the news release.

Now, this month Huckabee will have received some donations after his Jan. 3 Iowa win. But it does raise serious questions about how long the Arkansan can continue to compete after Feb. 5 or even how much he can do before other than get on as many free radio and TV shows as possible.

Paul, who's done well in some symbolic straw polls and little-noticed state caucuses until his best showing so far as a second-place finisher to Romney in the Nevada caucuses, has repeatedly disavowed a third-party effort if his bid to be the Republican nominee in St. Paul next summer falls short.

His determined followers maintain that a news media conspiracy is holding down Paul's success at the polls, although obviously word has gotten out to somebody for him to raise such sums. Paul's outspoken stands, including withdrawal from Iraq and drastic downsizing of the federal government, run counter to each of his GOP competitors.

As for Paul's campaign, his loyal troops plan another "money bomb," a big fundraising day, today in honor of Ron and Carol Paul's 51st wedding anniversary. One of the obvious gifts: the undisputed GOP fundraising championship for the last three months of 2007.

--Andrew Malcolm

February 01, 2008 in Campaigning, Fundraising, House of Representatives, Media, Money, Presidential Campaign, Republican Politics, Ron Paul | Permalink

Evan
02-01-2008, 12:13 PM
what a waste of money.

boutons_
02-01-2008, 12:15 PM
Even McCain isn't acceptable to the Repug power structure.

Paul will never get the Repug nomination.

Plus he's unelectable, no matter how much money he burns through.

So have your Paul fun while it lasts. Next Paul partying in 2012.

Galileo
02-01-2008, 12:35 PM
Even McCain isn't acceptable to the Repug power structure.

Paul will never get the Repug nomination.

Plus he's unelectable, no matter how much money he burns through.

So have your Paul fun while it lasts. Next Paul partying in 2012.

McCain is unelectable. He is rabid pro-war in a country where 70% oppose the war. He also can't raise money nor manage it. He is strictly a creation of the mass media, who prefer a democrat.

Only Ron Paul can beat the democrats.

Evan
02-01-2008, 12:42 PM

No ...no he can't.

Hey I like Ron Paul but lets be realistic here.

Average Joe voter hasn't a clue who he is.

101A
02-01-2008, 12:59 PM
Mitt Romney actually raised only $9.2 million from other people last quarter, less than half of Paul's haul. However, the former Massachusetts governor -- and if he keeps spending at this rate the quite possibly former multimillionaire -- gave himself $18 million more of his own money last fall for a total of $27.2 million and $2.4 million cash on hand.The Mormon is burning coin at that pace, and can't be a front-runner with Republicans...AND there are nut-jobs who think he can win a general election??? Are the Right Wing pundits that dumb, or do they want Hillary/Obama to win? Good for ratings, maybe?

101A
02-01-2008, 01:02 PM
McCain is unelectable. He is rabid pro-war in a country where 70% oppose the war. He also can't raise money nor manage it. He is strictly a creation of the mass media, who prefer a democrat.

ummmmmmmm.

No (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/national.html)

Extra Stout
02-01-2008, 01:04 PM
No ...no he can't.

Hey I like Ron Paul but lets be realistic here.

Average Joe voter hasn't a clue who he is.
You don't understand.

You and Galileo live in different realities.

In your reality, Ron Paul is a marginal candidate with a message of dynamism that needs to be heard in the Republican Party. However, he obviously is not going to win the nomination.

In Galileo's reality, Ron Paul not only has overwhelming support among the American people, he also can fly and shoot laser beams from his eyes. Galileo knows about the wide spread of Paul's support because he took a poll of the voices in his head.

Evan
02-01-2008, 01:07 PM
I think I like this Extra Stout guy

boutons_
02-01-2008, 01:13 PM
Meanwhile, McCain campaign is $1.6M in debt.

pussyface
02-01-2008, 01:29 PM
You don't understand.

You and Galileo live in different realities.

In your reality, Ron Paul is a marginal candidate with a message of dynamism that needs to be heard in the Republican Party. However, he obviously is not going to win the nomination.

In Galileo's reality, Ron Paul not only has overwhelming support among the American people, he also can fly and shoot laser beams from his eyes. Galileo knows about the wide spread of Paul's support because he took a poll of the voices in his head.

...another home run from the guy who's idea of comedy involves blogging about "nuking" Berkeley, CA because the people there don't agree with his flag-waving brand of militarism.

come to think of it, this is one of the first posts I have seen from this guy that doesn't directly advocate some type of mass murder/bombing of some sort.

it is unfortunate that he has probably never been outside the state of texas, because if he ever got around to seeing the places he thinks he hates, like Berekley, he would find that his smug and ill-founded sense of superiority would make him right at home there.

Extra Stout
02-01-2008, 01:34 PM
...another home run from the guy who's idea of comedy involves blogging about "nuking" Berkeley, CA because the people there don't agree with his flag-waving brand of militarism.

come to think of it, this is one of the first posts I have seen from this guy that doesn't directly advocate some type of mass murder/bombing of some sort.

it is unfortunate that he has probably never been outside the state of texas, because if he ever got around to seeing the places he thinks he hates, like Berekley, he would find that his smug and ill-founded sense of superiority would make him right at home there.
When Berkeley gets nuked, make sure you're close enough that you die of radiation poisoning. Thank you.

101A
02-01-2008, 01:37 PM

it is unfortunate that he has probably never been outside the state of texas, because if he ever got around to seeing the places he thinks he hates, like Berekley, he would find that his smug and ill-founded sense of superiority would make him right at home there.You still don't know what you are talking about.

ChumpDumper
02-01-2008, 01:50 PM
Meanwhile, McCain campaign is $1.6M in debt.I'm sure it's in the black now.

pussyface
02-01-2008, 01:58 PM
You still don't know what you are talking about.

explain yourself, douchebag. anyone can make the above statement w/o backing it up.

Ryvin1
02-01-2008, 02:10 PM
I'm sure it's in the black now.

Yup lobbyist love to bet on the horse in the lead so they know the money invested will give them a return. Can't blame them that it's only smart to buy the guy you who has the best chance of winning. McCain will not be short on funds unless he does something really dumb.

pussyface
02-01-2008, 02:25 PM
When Berkeley gets nuked, make sure you're close enough that you die of radiation poisoning. Thank you.

does any of your hilarious "humor" not have to do with war/murder?

you are the most vivid example I know of of a person from the weak-minded segment of the American population that is emotionally invested in the warfare state.

im not convinced you have a single positive quality or trait, as you are dumb, obedient, smug, and small-minded all rolled into one.

coincidentally, this is exactly how I would describe the people in Berkeley who you rail against yet resemble to a tee.

Extra Stout
02-01-2008, 02:31 PM
does any of you hilarious "humor" not have to do with war/murder?

you are the most vivid example I know of of a person from the weak-minded segment of the American population that is emotionally invested in the warfare state.
No, in every single one of my posts I glorify glorious war. You can do a forum search and check. I have one of those life-size cutouts of George W. Bush I got at Jesus Camp that I prostrate myself before every morning, right after I finish my breakfast of Iraqi babies, washed down with a nice warm glass of blood.

I view the President as my daddy, and think I will get in trouble if I say anything bad about him, and besides, he's perfect.

You are very good at evaluating the leanings of forum members. In no way whatsoever is your keen vision occluded just because you insist upon wearing your ass as a hat.

pussyface
02-01-2008, 02:40 PM
No, in every single one of my posts I glorify glorious war. You can do a forum search and check. I have one of those life-size cutouts of George W. Bush I got at Jesus Camp that I prostrate myself before every morning, right after I finish my breakfast of Iraqi babies, washed down with a nice warm glass of blood.

I view the President as my daddy, and think I will get in trouble if I say anything bad about him, and besides, he's perfect.

You are very good at evaluating the leanings of forum members. In no way whatsoever is your keen vision occluded just because you insist upon wearing your ass as a hat.

...i think you are confusing sarcasm with intelligence

Extra Stout
02-01-2008, 02:45 PM
Think about what you just wrote actually conveys in the English language.

Your act is more appropriate for the troll forum. Scurry along now.

Evan
02-01-2008, 03:38 PM
I think I like this Extra Stout guy

It's settled, I really really like this Extra Stout guy :toast

xrayzebra
02-01-2008, 03:38 PM
Meanwhile, McCain campaign is $1.6M in debt.

The Indian tribes will bail him out. They are exempt
in giving funds, under McCain/Feingold bill.

xrayzebra
02-01-2008, 03:43 PM

We will never, never confuse you with either of the above.
Both are beyond you mental capabilities. :rolleyes

Johnts71
02-02-2008, 10:47 AM
Ron Paul needs to just stick what he likes to do best.

http://i30.tinypic.com/281xag8.jpg